Low Carb Responses from the General Forums

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
There's a person asking who else is doing Atkins' on the main boards. We all know how this goes. Let's look at some of the advice given so far. First off, props to JPW1990 for jumping in and pointing them here. Where we actually know what we're talking about.

Cant think of many things less appealing....
This is the entire comment. I didn't snip it. I can't think of anything less helpful.

I will just caution, if you're doing Atkins, that you need to count calories as well. I [. . . ] didn't think he stressed the issue of caloric intake enough.
Excerpt in this case. But, I think we all know how I feel about this advice. I would just call it bad. On top of that, the reason he didn't stress caloric intake is because the traditional Atkins' plan actually discourages any calorie counting. Of course he's not going to stress it. Anyway, bad (IMO) advice that shows the person doesn't understand the plan in question.

Ensure you eat enough fiber if you are on Atkins!
I think we all know how I feel about this one, too. Just bad/unnecessary advice. Fiber isn't really that important. This also doesn't answer any questions/concerns the OP had.

[. . .]carbs are necessary to your body, so you can't cut them out. [. . .]DO eat the veggies! The fiber is absolutely necessary. Weigh/measure EVERYTHING. [. . .]
This person claims to be doing Atkins', although they admit it's a "moderated" form. I guess moderated means "not really" in this case. Again with the fiber nonsense. And the veggies. Well, Atkins' allows some, but they're not that critical especially during induction. Worst of all, what's this crap about carbs being "necessary"? That's just flat out wrong. And weighing and measuring everything? This isn't how Atkins' said to do his plan. This advice is the worst yet, especially because it appears to come from someone who knows about Atkins' when they don't really do Atkins'.

Sooo, Atkins plus a calorie deficit makes you lose weight? And a calorie deficit alone also makes you lose weight? Gee, what's the Atkins diet for, then? *scratches head*
It wouldn't be a low-carb thread on the main forums without the shirtless mafia checking in.

That's only after 11 unique responses. This thread hasn't even blown up yet.

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The cautioning one irritates me every time, one of those who quit, gained back, then blames the plan, every single time it comes up.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I learned my lesson even COMMENTING on these!! I got totally sucked in to a few arguments because people like this just make me MAD attacking people!! I stay off or PM the OP so I am out of it and don't raise my already high BP! :wink:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I was accused of demonizing carbs.... What ever that means.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a low-carb thread on the main forums without the shirtless mafia checking in.
    Love that. I try and avoid threads that I know will end up like this. I'd much rather be full of energy, rarely hungry, and eat rich foods than eat empty carbs that make me feel bloated and moody.

• DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Demonizing...really??? Sheesh.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Demonizing...really??? Sheesh.

Fat has been demonized for over 30+ years and their complaining about demonizing Carbs? The truth is that, for a lot of people, Carbs should be demonized. The whole obesity-metabolic syndrome-insulin resisitant-diabetic epidemic today is caused by carbs. The solution, for some people, it to lay off the carbs and start eating much more fat.

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Ditto to Dan!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As was I lol.
    If only I had a diary, and it was open, and they looked at it. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I might be in the minority here with this opinion: I don't think carbs, or fats, or whatever else should be demonized or glorified in the way people are prone to do. Everything effects different people in different ways, for us within this group demonizing carbs within our lives makes sense. But it's a journey we're all on, the same end goal, but as many paths as there are people. It's sad that people will tell someone else not to bother with something based solely on personal experience, we can only point to studies and success stories and offer help, advice and support. Everyone has to find what works for them, and to do so they need to keep an open mind about all the different diets around, this just happens to work for us and we want it to work as well as for everyone else.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I might be in the minority here with this opinion: I don't think carbs, or fats, or whatever else should be demonized or glorified in the way people are prone to do. Everything effects different people in different ways, for us within this group demonizing carbs within our lives makes sense. But it's a journey we're all on, the same end goal, but as many paths as there are people. It's sad that people will tell someone else not to bother with something based solely on personal experience, we can only point to studies and success stories and offer help, advice and support. Everyone has to find what works for them, and to do so they need to keep an open mind about all the different diets around, this just happens to work for us and we want it to work as well as for everyone else.

You are not alone in this. I don't feel carbs are evil, or fat is evil, or etc etc....I know carbs don't do well for ME, but not everyone is me.

• JPW1990
    Options

I think the point was people here don't "demonize" carbs, only reduce them. The "demonize" hyperbole is what the aforementioned shirtless mafia throw around to suggest anything any low carber says about any topic is irrelevant, because they aren't comfortable with different viewpoints than their own.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    The big difference is that we don't go looking for the threads on diets we don't agree with to post negative opinions or bad advice. You won't see me posting in a vegan's thread when they are asking for advice. It isn't the same way with low carb. Half, or more, of the responses tend to be people bashing it or offering unsolicited advice that doesn't pertain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The big difference is that we don't go looking for the threads on diets we don't agree with to post negative opinions or bad advice. You won't see me posting in a vegan's thread when they are asking for advice. It isn't the same way with low carb. Half, or more, of the responses tend to be people bashing it or offering unsolicited advice that doesn't pertain.

BINGO. I don't go into IIFYMs threads where folks are happily saying they eat whatever they want, or asking for IIFYM advice, or what not to tell them to eat my way.

Yet, daily, several times daily, someone will post asking for advice on how to cut carbs, or cut sugar and are then told over and over and over that they don't need to.
  • JPW1990
    Options

BINGO. I don't go into IIFYMs threads where folks are happily saying they eat whatever they want, or asking for IIFYM advice, or what not to tell them to eat my way.

Yet, daily, several times daily, someone will post asking for advice on how to cut carbs, or cut sugar and are then told over and over and over that they don't need to.

I'd almost be tempted to start doing the same in return, except I already got one warning for asking an LC basher (your brain and kidneys will stop functioning after a few months) where she got her medical degree. Apparently, that was rude and abusive of me. No doubt telling people they don't have to eat more than 20g of carbs a day would get me jail bars.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I'd almost be tempted to start doing the same in return, except I already got one warning for asking an LC basher (your brain and kidneys will stop functioning after a few months) where she got her medical degree. Apparently, that was rude and abusive of me. No doubt telling people they don't have to eat more than 20g of carbs a day would get me jail bars.
    You got a warning or one of those silly flags? Hell, I've gotten 3 today already for disagreeing with ANA ANA.
    :D
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    How do you know if you get a warning? I rarely post out there, so I don't know if I have ever gotten one.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you get a warning? I rarely post out there, so I don't know if I have ever gotten one.

Click the bell at the top of your page, and click all notifications. Will show you how many flags of each type you have.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Yep. I don't give lifting advice because I don't currently lift. I'm not vegetarian or vegan or even Paleo so I don't give advice there either. I do know a little something about intense sugar cravings that feel like an addiction and how to get passed it. Yet everytime the topic comes up people who aren't low or slow carb and have no trouble restricting sugar come out of the woodwork to offer advice. I'll never understand the need to gang up on someone because they want to reduce sugar. And do they truly not understand what someone means when someone says they want to cut out sugar? I wonder if they realize how ignorant they make themselves look when they say "so you're cutting out fruit and veggies?" Really??
  • JPW1990
    Options

You got a warning or one of those silly flags? Hell, I've gotten 3 today already for disagreeing with ANA ANA.

Mod warning. It shows up as a notification with a link to the 3strikes rules
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Mod warning. It shows up as a notification with a link to the 3strikes rules

You got an actual Mod warning for that??? Ridiculous.

I now have 52 abuse votes and 22 spam votes lol.
    But I've never gotten an actual warning. Go figure.