Low Carb Responses from the General Forums

Options

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Have you guys seen the latest in Consumer Reports? I just, argh, have to look away: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/surprising-effects-of-high-protein-low-carb-diet/index.htm

Just another media outlet that gets it wrong.

Dan
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I know first hand what too much Carbs did to my health. I too watch my protein because 50% of it converts to glucose. Not a bad thing but just a biological event in humans.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    ROOOOOOOOOAAAAAR! The Litterbox makes Hulk ANNNNGRY!
    Incredible-Hulk-animated-animation-male-smiley-emoticon-000342-facebook.gif
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ***closes the lid on the Litterbox***...shhh
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If it is possible to have a calm and respectful interplay of comments and opinions based on science as well as personal experience, may I ask a question? Have individuals on this forum heard of "carbohydrate intolerance" as a separate of distinct concern in relation to insulin resistance? I have recently been "diagnosed" by a gp with a health speciality as carbohydrate intolerant and I wonder if that is too genera? Given that all carbohydrates break down into glucose (at different rates and different quantities), I wonder why my doctor is making the broad-based diagnosis about the thousands of foods which contain carbs. Your comments please?
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    (please replace the word "of" with the word "or" in my 3'rd sentence.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Hi shelleygold. I think you'll find that everyone here will be calm and respectful. I instantly thought of Prof Tim Noakes and if you google him along with "carbohydrate intolerance" you will find a great deal of information. I'm a huge fan of Prof Noakes.

I hope you get other answers with personal experiences and hope for you. For myself, I can say that carbs are not essential. We have human requirements for essential proteins and essential fats only.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    It's true that very high levels of protein (way more than what I eat on my biggest day) can put a strain on the kidneys. But, even high levels (like 180g-200g high) don't cause any problems for people with healthy kidneys. If you have a preexisting kidney condition, that's a different matter. But, for healthy people, high protein intake isn't a concern.

But, low-carb isn't high protein anyway. It's an argument against a strawman.

If anyone is on excessive protein it's the exercise bulimics and the shirtless mafia.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If it is possible to have a calm and respectful interplay of comments and opinions based on science as well as personal experience, may I ask a question? Have individuals on this forum heard of "carbohydrate intolerance" as a separate of distinct concern in relation to insulin resistance?

At a first guess "carb intolerance" would show up as high blood glucose with low insulin, whereas "insulin resistance" is usually high insulin ('cos it isn't having any effect) combined with high glucose.

A more researched answer came up with http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal_disorders/malabsorption_syndromes/carbohydrate_intolerance.html
    Carbohydrate intolerance is the inability to digest certain carbohydrates due to a lack of one or more intestinal enzymes. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal distention, and flatulence. Diagnosis is clinical and by an H2 breath test. Treatment is removal of the causative disaccharide from the diet.

There is a tendency for LCHF people to use "carbohydrate intolerance" to describe diabetes and other things but it's not a medical term.
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I hate asking anything on the General Forums for fear of getting bashed :'(
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just the forums that were bad....but this morning I got told that I am not losing because I am not logging correctly and I am eating too much because, you know...CICO. This was from a friend on my list....."If you don't see a loss in another week, you should drop your calories by 100" I am quite discouraged this morning...
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    If it is possible to have a calm and respectful interplay of comments and opinions based on science as well as personal experience, may I ask a question? Have individuals on this forum heard of "carbohydrate intolerance" as a separate of distinct concern in relation to insulin resistance?

At a first guess "carb intolerance" would show up as high blood glucose with low insulin, whereas "insulin resistance" is usually high insulin ('cos it isn't having any effect) combined with high glucose.

Often with PCOS and Insulin resistance, you have high insulin and normal blood glucose. I know I am not the only one on the PCOS boards who have had really high insulin and my blood glucose is smack dab in the middle of normal along with my A1C.

So weird right?
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just the forums that were bad....but this morning I got told that I am not losing because I am not logging correctly and I am eating too much because, you know...CICO. This was from a friend on my list....."If you don't see a loss in another week, you should drop your calories by 100" I am quite discouraged this morning...

Listen to your body. I looked at your foods and you look good to me. We all have a day or two now and then we eat more but you kept your carbs low. Every one responds a little different.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If it is possible to have a calm and respectful interplay of comments and opinions based on science as well as personal experience, may I ask a question? Have individuals on this forum heard of "carbohydrate intolerance" as a separate of distinct concern in relation to insulin resistance? I have recently been "diagnosed" by a gp with a health speciality as carbohydrate intolerant and I wonder if that is too genera? Given that all carbohydrates break down into glucose (at different rates and different quantities), I wonder why my doctor is making the broad-based diagnosis about the thousands of foods which contain carbs. Your comments please?

Generally if it has the word "intolerance" it's due to a lack of an enzyme. Lacking one or more of them can cause some scary stuff.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I wonder if a bunch of people from in here answering this "informal poll" in the cesspool would make any difference in the attitudes out there?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10101218/how-much-have-you-lost-and-how-an-informal-poll#latest
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I wonder if a bunch of people from in here answering this "informal poll" in the cesspool would make any difference in the attitudes out there?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10101218/how-much-have-you-lost-and-how-an-informal-poll#latest

I counted about 8 in the first page that were lower carbs/LCHF/keto...one of those. So I don't know how much difference it would make truly...
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »

Often with PCOS and Insulin resistance, you have high insulin and normal blood glucose. I know I am not the only one on the PCOS boards who have had really high insulin and my blood glucose is smack dab in the middle of normal along with my A1C.

So weird right?

This is exactly my experience as well. I have PCOS and have never had a high blood sugar reading, but I used to have super high insulin. Got it under control with metformin, now it is really under control with low carb eating + metformin.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I bit.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

I have to keep from grinding my teeth at all the one's saying "I ate at a deficit." Well, no joke. I don't think anyone has ever said on MFP that eating at a surplus aids in weight loss. Do they truly, truly not understand that different people respond to different plans? Even the folks at EM2WL still eat at a deficit, they just find the smallest one they can eat at and still lose weight. That was a rhetorical question, btw, I know they don't understand. Or they don't care. Or they like to sound important. Or all of the above.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If they knew anything at all about Atkins, they would know it is moderate protein and high fat and Induction is only for 2 weeks unless you have a lot to use. After that you start climbing the carb ladder until rung 10 where nothing is off limit and you know how many carbs you can eat without gaining.