Monthlies

Options

Replies

• Pitbull1253
    Pitbull1253 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lost 1.2 pounds this week. I'll take it. Saturday night my youngest son had a Halloween party and the sheer amount of candy, cupcakes and pizza was overwhelming. I did pretty well with the food but my oldest son and I decided a few beers where in order when we went to get lighter fluid to start a small bonfire.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options

Did not gain weight. Previous weights were false. *kitten* scale I complained about for a couple years was totally *kitten*. Bought a new one, now I am confident the weight is correct.

Disappointed in the weight overall. Not disappointed in my personal progress last 2 months. Eating a lot healthier for the most part, not perfect but acceptable. Resumed walking to/from work everyday. Good for body and mind.

Hopefully, despite Xmas food excess, I will be able to post an actual true weight loss at end of next month.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday of the month. 'Check-in' day!

'True Weight' app says I'm currently 197.6 lbs, Up 7 lb for the month and 16 lbs from my low of 181.6 lbs on Sept. 11 of this year.

Turkey weekend is over and I did my best to get rid of all the leftovers and other goodies by the end of the day (Sunday) so no more temptations around the house. Xmas goodies are still ahead but that is not as bad for me as T-day. Just crossing fingers for no gain by New Years.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Back in the saddle again. Holiday crap is over.

Starting weight for the year is 205.5 lbs, about 9 lbs down from this time last year so 2016 wasn't a total wash.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    278.2 because *kitten* scales. Exactly the same weight I was at 1 year ago tomorrow.

Xmas eating was not great, but I paid attention and kept myself in check. Only exceeded calories 3-4 in the last month and exercised evryday, but still gained weight.

Disappointing but despite the scales I fell pretty damn good in general. Hopefully this good feeling will turn into actual weight loss.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Back at it today. Libra puts me at 190.9. 2 lbs up for the year and 7 up from 2016 low of 184. Focusing this year on reducing body-fat.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Monthly check.

Primary GW: 180 lb
    Secondary GW: 175 lb
    Tertiary Goal: Whatever I lose, to keep it off through the last months of the year!

SW: 205.5
    W1: 207.3
    W2: 206.3
    W3: 205.9

W4: 205.8

:neutral:

Starting weight for the year probably shows me still recovering from that stomach bug I had over the Holidays.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    270.8. about 8 pounds down. Nothing for last week.

I made changes to my MFP settings as well as my M-F eating habits, so now I weigh in each week to see if changes made a difference. Seems they have. Proceed as is for another month and hope for xonstant and even losses.

Now that I have a functional scale it helps keep me focused
  • d_thomas02
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Monthly check in.

Tertiary Goal: Whatever I lose, to keep it off through the last months of the year!

SW: 205.5
    W1: 207.3
    W5: 207.6
    W6: 208.0
    W7: 207.4

W8: 206.4

While this data shows a 1.0 lb drop for the week, my trend app says 0.9 lbs lost. Again, rounding issues so no worries.

Weekly deficit: 2,311 calories (330 per day)
    Expected week loss: 0.7 lbs

Was 1,300 calories over last night and the scale was up this morning but the trend app is good about smoothing these things out.

I think I'm on the right track again (finally) but will only whisper it for now.

[boo-yah]
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options

7 pound loss for the month. Had one really rough week, and failed to walk/exercise every day. Missed 3 or 4 days. But for the most part doing well with the regular routines.
  • loulamb7
    Options
    Hey where did February go? Libra has me at 189.5. 2 months and only .7 lbs down. Way to slow. Need to step it up. Hopefully March will be better. Would like to get to 185 by the end of the month but will settle for 187.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Monthly check in.

RED = gain for the week
    YELLOW = loss of less than 0.5 lbs for the week
    GREEN = loss of 0.5 lbs or more for the week

SW: 205.5 | W10: 205.0
    W1: 207.3 | W11: 204.0
    W5: 207.6
    W6: 208.0
    W7: 207.4
    W8: 206.4
    W9: 206.1

W12: 202.5

---
    Weekly deficit: 5,832 calories (an average of 833 cals per day)
    Expected week loss: 1.67 lbs
    Trend App loss: 1.5 lbs

Difference between Trend and Expected loss is 0.2 lbs or 700 calories per week or 100 calories per day (i.e. I'm eating 100 calories a day more than I think I am). Math is pretty close and not bad for all the estimations and guessing when I can't weigh foods.

This is exactly why I'll be leaving ~250 calories on the plate this time when I go into maintenance.
    ---
    Monthly deficit: 12,560 calories (and average of 449 cals per day)
    Expected monthly loss: 3.59 lbs
    Trend App loss: 3.9 lbs

The math works. It's my estimates (probably intake) that are inaccurate.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    I choose to skip today's weigh in. Weighed yesterday and it showed a 1 pound gain. That *kitten* ain't right. Not willing to accept the gain, choosing to assume it is "water weight".

Going to wait a week, keeping on keeping on, and check again.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    Not an ounce lost in March. I feel the fool.

I weigh what I weighed a year ago. 5 years ago. 15 years ago. This is what I weighed when. I was 23, looked in the mirror and thought this *kitten* ain't right.

I've been more. I've been less. But for the majority of my life this is what I have been.

Yet my life is not the same. Older, obviously. But 15 years ago I would never walk more than 1 km or cycle more than 2-3km. Now I walk 8-10km a day and can cycle 30+km on a whim.

I used to bang back bacon burgers and sweet slurpees. Now I inhale kale and slurp smoothies with more vegetables than a garden. I opt for the huge salad with minimal dressing instead of the loaded baked potato.

Yet despite my healthier eating, consistent tracking and vastly improved fitness I am the same weight and, it would seem, no healthier. When I was in my 20's and even my early 30's I never saw a doctor. In my 40th year I have been to the emergency room and doctors office 9 times. Not weight related issues, but the excessive weight sure don't help.

The only noticable positive change in health is I sleep WAY better now than at any point in my entire life. And I am grateful for that.

I will continue tracking for April. If I am not in the 250 range by May 1, 2017 I will abandon tracking as it is obviously not helping me.
  • loulamb7
    Options
    I had a good month. Achieved goal of 185, Libra has me at 184.9. Lost 4.9 for the month, which is the most since I've been using Libra (16 months).

April's goal is to get to 182.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @PlunderingSteelGorilla Not sure if I should call *kitten* on you, bro.. Looking at your profile, you're down more than 35 lb... that isn't chump change... something you are doing is working, even if it's hard to see right now.

Some things that are standing out from your post:
    *vastly improved fitness*
    *I would never walk more than 1 km or cycle more than 2-3km. Now I walk 8-10km a day and can cycle 30+km on a whim.*
    *I sleep WAY better now than at any point in my entire life.*

These are all reasons to KEEP GOING - In fact... Double down.. Start weighing your food - I did that recently (not weighing everything yet, but just weighing dry foods, I already learned that I was underestimating my intake by 200 cals/day).. and that adds up.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    I definitely do see improvement in some aspects of my life. What I see no change in is my weight. I gain and lose some throughout the year, every year, but I seem to be maintaining the same over all weight throughout all the years (15+). So if monitoring my intake has zero effect on my weight, why continue?

Tracking what I eat has nothing to do with getting up and going for a walk/ride.

Been logging here, somewhat consistently, for nearly 3 years (holy *kitten*?!?). In 3 years, I have gone up and down 40 pounds. Same amount I went up and down for the 3-5 years before that. I remember Christmas 2010 when a relative I had not see in in almost a year commented on how much weight I lost. I hadn't really. Just saw me at low tide so to speak. 265 pounds. About what I weigh right now.

I make the conscious choice to be as active as I possibly can. Walking to/from work every day. Cycling a couple times or more a week. Starting to lift weights again too. Those, undoubtedly, lead to better fitness and better sleep. Seem to have little to do with my weight loss though.

I do not always weigh my food, frequently guess. But I like to try and over estimate. Rather say I eat more than I do. When I do weigh the food, I compare to my estimate and find I am usually pretty good at over estimating. Except cheese and chicken, used to always get that wrong. Closer now. I am certain weighing everything every time would be a sure fire way to be dead accurate and will help weight loss. I am also sure I do not have the mindset to maintain that.

I feel healthier than I did when I started here. Healthier than I have for a long time. No doubt about that. And I should be focused on that. But when the main thing I was focused on is never changing, leaving me the forever "Big Guy" it feels like *kitten*. That is what gets me down. That is my struggle.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that... helps get a clearer picture of where you are coming from.

A quick question for you.. Have you tried resetting your calorie goals when you are at the low point of your weight? I know that my BMR is a lot lower when I am at my lightest vs. my heaviest... and if I don't slowly ratchet down my calories as I lose, I eventually stall out.

What I'm working on now is to weigh the foods I'm most likely to screw up.. (i.e. calorie dense foods and dry foods), that way I'm not having to put a ton of effort into it and burn out on weighing stuff, but I have managed to discover I was overeating ~200 cals/day on average vs what I was logging.
  • PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    I've reset my MFP goals a number of times, though to be honest I have no clue what to set it for. I know my weight, but that's it. Currently set to just under 1,800 calories per day.

Sedentary? Lightly active? Opinions vary. Posted my query on MFP forum and, after multiple responses the consensus was try one and see if it works. If not try another. Brilliant :/

Weighing dense foods like block cheese was an eye opener for me. But I do not eat cheese daily, or even weekly.

I eat identical meals for breakfast amd lunch almost every Monday to Friday and some weekends. Scanned labels and measured scoops. Little variation. Healthy. Low calories. Fillng. Enjoyable.

Some evenings I eat right. Others, not so much. But over the long haul, I should be losing. I ain't.

Tomorrow I shall weigh more foods and reconfigure my MFP settings.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    I got a FitBit Charge HR little over a year ago. Now I have a much better idea of my actifity level (TDEE) and its software links with MFP to adjust my calorie intake goals for the day, so if I sit on my *kitten* all day I can lose a couple of hundred calories or if I work my *kitten* off I can earn a thousand or more on my goal for the day.

Garmin alao makes a couple of good ones.

Takes some of guesswork out of this process. Still got to know what you're eating though.