Retreating from the Main Boards to This Group

Options

Replies

• becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you are coming from. I am trying to eat a 80%/20% paleo lifestyle while also counting calories. Focusing on the quality of my food most of the time but leaving some wiggle room to enjoy food with the family, going out, and the occasional SERIOUS cheat! Ha.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    *steps into the sanctuary*

now this is a little more like it!

A place where foods aren't just "calories"!

I try to eat as cleanly as possibly, mostly due to un-diagnosed digestive somethingness. Cutting out gluten certainly helped, but things still aren't perfect. Whilst I started simply to try and ease my stomach issues, I've also noticed that my skin is clearer, I'm less moody and life is generally just... better!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    "A place where food isn't just calories"...love it!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    TBrownCVT wrote: »
    The main boards have some ridiculous, heated arguments.

I know! Who knew you could start a fight in a weight loss forum by using the phrases "bad foods" and"clean eating" and citing peer-reviewed research that concludes sugar is as addictive as cocaine?

I could maybe find merits in such a discussion if I wanted to look really hard. But what wants me to say a few things that surely would get me kicked off MFP ( and nothing would be really inappropriate, but just the truth ) is asking how intelligent people really are who over and over mention that they eat " clean ", because they rinse their vegetables and fruit or because they wash their hands before eating. Don't they realize how dumb that sounds and not funny at all ?

• Ang108
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dbkle wrote: »
    I just got into a huge argument today on the main boards because I said Oreos weren't healthy...

"prove it"
    "just because they are less nutritious doesn't make them unhealthy"
    etc.
    etc.

I'm glad I found this place. Those people out there are ridiculous and will have a harder time reaching their goals.

When I read such stuff on the main boards, where people challenge me or others to " prove it ", I want to tell them to prove that Oreos are indeed healthy.
    Except.....I no longer can be bothered to get into a discussion with people who only seem to enjoy to put others who want to eat healthier down and only want to prove that weight loss also can be achieved by eating a lot of crap and is the better choice, because it allows a person to still eat the " truly delicious " foods, disregarding health completely, or thinking that health is based on heavy lifting and nothing else.....and yes, I am happy that I can call it crap here and not being chastised for it.....:o).

• malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above :) Feel right at home in this group and Im not perfect but I love good healthy food..even if I eat a little to much of it sometimes ... helps that Im an organic Gardener.. Diary is open
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    nice 20 by the way :blush:
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I just got into a huge argument today on the main boards because I said Oreos weren't healthy...

"prove it"
    etc.
    etc.

I'm glad I found this place. Those people out there are ridiculous and will have a harder time reaching their goals.

When I read such stuff on the main boards, where people challenge me or others to " prove it ", I want to tell them to prove that Oreos are indeed healthy.

Don't be silly, the burden of proof lies on you (as the accuser of said oreos) because you are the one claiming that they aren't, they aren't going to waste their time researching things to satisfy you!

Isn't that how it goes? ;)
  • MonsoonStorm
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

"prove it"
    etc.
    etc.

... and only want to prove that weight loss also can be achieved by eating a lot of crap and is the better choice, because it allows a person to still eat the " truly delicious " foods, disregarding health completely, or thinking that health is based on heavy lifting and nothing else.....and yes, I am happy that I can call it crap here and not being chastised for it.....:o).

Just to highlight another bit of your post. The problem is people seem to have forgotten what "truly delicious" means. Most people born since the 60's have grown up having two working parents, which also coincided with an eruption in processed convenience food. This food has always been so ridiculously overladen with salt, sugar and anything else to try to make that leathery piece of meat appealing, so people have adapted to "like" this kind of food.

I remember watching an episode of River Garden Cottage or something, it's a cooking series based upon a successful city guy who decided to move to the countryside and start growing and eating his own organic produce. He did exceedingly well and started various initiatives for other people to join in. In this one particular episode he had maybe 14 people, and he had two shepherd's pies... one was made by him, all fresh organic produce, made to his mother's recipe; the other one was a frozen cheap store bought one.

Only two people chose his pie as tasting better. The other one simply tasted more like what the majority were used to (laden with salt/sugar), and so they preferred that one.

Every so often I'll have a totally lazy day, I'll see something quick and easy that looks acceptable and I think "ok, lets give it a go". Every single time all I can taste is salt, pepper and garlic, and every single time I hate myself for being such an idiot.

Oh well. Rant over!
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I feel sorry for the people who are truly trying to get advice on the main forum and instead of hearing how important fresh foods are they are hearing how they can eat anything, "just stay in the calories." I tried this years ago and i can honestly say that the amount of crap foods you can eat compared to the healthy fresh foods isn't even a compition. I eat twice as much food now and know that I'm getting great fuel for my body.

I love this forum because i know that everyone on here truly care about putting important food into the bodies and won't attack others for their food choices.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know how you feel. At first I tried just using CICO but the more I tried without getting the results I wanted, the more I realized I needed to clean up my diet. It's pretty hard to keep your calories low and your stomach full when you're eating empty junk. I also have a tendency to binge eat, so I can't even have junk food in the house, and the more I stay away from it, the better. It's like an alcoholic getting that first sip of alcohol. It's nothing but a downward spiral from there.

It seems that the ones shouting the loudest about how it's OK to have a few cookies are the big, muscular guys who also exercise and work out more than the average person. I read one guy basically say that Oreos can be considered a health food because if he needs to replenish his glycogen stores after a tough rugby game, some Oreos might be perfect. Well, the LAST thing I'm worried about is replenishing my glycogen stores. I probably have enough fat in my behind for my body to convert into glycogen and keep me alive for the next three months if necessary.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy an occasional treat. Of course you can. But some of us are here because we want to develop a healthier lifestyle, and that's kinda the whole point.
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. At first I tried just using CICO but the more I tried without getting the results I wanted, the more I realized I needed to clean up my diet. It's pretty hard to keep your calories low and your stomach full when you're eating empty junk. I also have a tendency to binge eat, so I can't even have junk food in the house, and the more I stay away from it, the better. It's like an alcoholic getting that first sip of alcohol. It's nothing but a downward spiral from there.

It seems that the ones shouting the loudest about how it's OK to have a few cookies are the big, muscular guys who also exercise and work out more than the average person. I read one guy basically say that Oreos can be considered a health food because if he needs to replenish his glycogen stores after a tough rugby game, some Oreos might be perfect. Well, the LAST thing I'm worried about is replenishing my glycogen stores. I probably have enough fat in my behind for my body to convert into glycogen and keep me alive for the next three months if necessary.

I'm not saying you can't enjoy an occasional treat. Of course you can. But some of us are here because we want to develop a healthier lifestyle, and that's kinda the whole point.
    Thats the truth! It depends on if you are here to really create a healthy lifestyle or just lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What I find frustrating: When I try to post about eating nutrient dense foods folks come on and act like I'm preaching, and say they "meet their macros and micros". Folks say I'm being condescending. But then I see two different things: some of the shirtless mafia have diaries with NO plant foods at all, and tons of frozen dinners.
    And young girls post day after day asking if they really *can* eat whatever they want as long as it's under X calories.
    Many folks are woefully under educated about nutrition on the main boards, and many are stubbornly obtuse.

:smile:
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    What I find frustrating: When I try to post about eating nutrient dense foods folks come on and act like I'm preaching, and say they "meet their macros and micros". Folks say I'm being condescending. But then I see two different things: some of the shirtless mafia have diaries with NO plant foods at all, and tons of frozen dinners.
    And young girls post day after day asking if they really *can* eat whatever they want as long as it's under X calories.
    Many folks are woefully under educated about nutrition on the main boards, and many are stubbornly obtuse.

:smile:

"Shirtless Mafia" I love it!

You're absolutely right though! So many people are just plain stubborn.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha! The shirtless mafia! Yeah, exactly. I think they're being bullies by not allowing other people to talk rationally about things like, ya know, health and nutrition.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    I'm a gardener. I studied horticulture in college and currently volunteer with a university Horticultural Extension service. I've studied pesticides extensively. I used to be an organic gardener. Now I am not. I won't even buy organic produce. There is no difference, and some people avoid buying fruits and vegetables because the price of organic is so high.

I certainly don't want to spur an argument here, but organic produce is proven to be no healthier than traditionally grown. Yes, proven. You must wash all produce before eating it, and it is actually a lot easier to remove any minute traces of pesticides from crops than pathogenic bacteria left over from the (inadequately) composted manures so often used as fertilizers.

Food all grows in the ground. The quality of the soil and the amount and timing of nutrients matters -- and the first thing we learned about plant fertilization in college was this: plants can't recognize the difference between organic and synthetic fertilizers. That is science, not opinion.

So buy organic if it makes you feel better, but to anyone who is reluctant to eat traditionally grown food, eat up! It is 100% fine, and just as healthy as organic.
  • Ang108
    Options
    I'm a gardener. I studied horticulture in college and currently volunteer with a university Horticultural Extension service. I've studied pesticides extensively. I used to be an organic gardener. Now I am not. I won't even buy organic produce. There is no difference, and some people avoid buying fruits and vegetables because the price of organic is so high.

I certainly don't want to spur an argument here, but organic produce is proven to be no healthier than traditionally grown. Yes, proven. You must wash all produce before eating it, and it is actually a lot easier to remove any minute traces of pesticides from crops than pathogenic bacteria left over from the (inadequately) composted manures so often used as fertilizers.

Food all grows in the ground. The quality of the soil and the amount and timing of nutrients matters -- and the first thing we learned about plant fertilization in college was this: plants can't recognize the difference between organic and synthetic fertilizers. That is science, not opinion.

So buy organic if it makes you feel better, but to anyone who is reluctant to eat traditionally grown food, eat up! It is 100% fine, and just as healthy as organic.

I agree with you and also do not buy any organic food. To your reasons I would like to add that there is no clear cut law in any country that determines what " organic food " really is.
    Also in most developed western countries vegetables and fruit travel a very long way ( in the US on average 1200 miles on average ). Considering that produce starts to oxidize after harvest and really does so at an alarming rate starting at about 24 hours after harvest it is almost safe to assume that once the food gets to it's destination and maybe hangs around in a store's storage for another few days, that there is not much nutrition left.
    I am a strong believer in local and seasonal food and of course accept that stored produce in winter is not as nutritious as fresh harvested in summer.
    I have also been a gardener since childhood and even now living in the middle of Mexico City ( as compared to the Rhine Valley in Germany where I am from ) I have a container garden that pretty much sustains me and I buy some of the things that are difficult to grow ( especially because container gardening in this climate uses a lot of water ). Luckily, as far as produce is concerned, this country is still relatively poor and farmers do not have the recourses to use chemicals on their crops, so things are kind of " organic " by default. Also the average person cannot afford strawberries flown in from Israel, or apples from Washington, or radishes from Spain, no matter how many " organic " labels they have.
    We do have " organic " stores and when I pass I am always sad. Most of the items are past their time and look bedraggled and wilted ( like pencil thin rhubarb from the US, or oranges from Spain or the MIddle East, while Mexico is one of the biggest orange producers in the world ) at many times the price of average produce.
    I am , even after 40 years in Humanitarian Aid as well as Rural Development as my profession, not 100% sure how I feel about insecticides and other chemicals on food and avoid them whenever I can, but still prefer locally grown and seasonal fresh stuff ( often bought within 12 hours from harvest ) over anything organic without reliable information.I do not use pesticides, but do use a modest amount of fertilizers on my vegetables & herbs.

Sorry, this is so long, but it's a subject close to my heart and unfortunately one that in other threads only brought about nastiness by people who seem to have opinions, but nothing to base them on.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    The pesticides used today are infinitely safer than those used when we were kids. You can't drink them, sure, and you need to wear eye and skin protection when you apply them, but those same warnings are on organic pest control products, too. (Oh yes, organic farmers do use pesticides! Just not the biggest guns available.) I use them all quite sparingly, and I never do a blanket application over my whole garden. I think in the last 25 years, the US government has done a decent job of banning the worst pesticides, and recognizing the ones homeowners misuse the most. Some of those are now rated only for professional use.

It's too bad farmers down there can't afford pest control solutions. Their farm yields must really suffer for it. This is a subject that is also near and dear to my heart, and I know what you mean about the topic turning so nasty at times. And by the way, Ang, bless you for 40 years in humanitarian aid.
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a different mindset between those who are those who dieting versus those looking for long term, sustainable lifestyle change.

In regards to organic/ traditional farming methods, I would rather not ingest a plethora of pesticides, but understand there is no structural difference in these foods. I believe in supporting local farmers, and I choose to support those who use sustainable farming practices and limit use of pesticides. Neither of the local farms from which I purchase produce are certified organic due to the red tape and costs involved. I trust their farming practices, have visited their farms and love the fact that the food we eat is grown within 15 miles from my home. I buy organic when it makes sense to me and fits in my budget. I avoid GMOS as much as possible.

In any event, I find the folks on this forum to be friendly, informed and generally supportive. I do appreciate the respect for individuals and their opinions shown here.

• Ang108
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's too bad farmers down there can't afford pest control solutions. Their farm yields must really suffer for it. This is a subject that is also near and dear to my heart, and I know what you mean about the topic turning so nasty at times. And by the way, Ang, bless you for 40 years in humanitarian aid.

This is exactly what I have done for the first decade here in Mexico. I developed programs so farmers could get closer to sustainable yields without falling into the clutches of Monsanto, which claims here in Mexico to be a sustainable algricultural company. And since most small farmers are illiterate, they have no way of getting information, or defending themselves. Now as I am approaching 70 ( and still work full time, because I have no family of my own and enjoy my work )I no longer work in the field, but in community nutrition here in Mexico City. It's 80% a desk job, something I would not have liked until maybe ten years ago....but now, trying to accept the aging process, it's an ok job.....:o).
    I have lived in developing countries for 30 of the last 40 years and have thankfully learned a lot about simple and natural nutrition, a lesson I am thankful for almost every day.