Retreating from the Main Boards to This Group

Options
tinascar2015
tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
I hope this is where I'll feel more comfortable than on the main MFP boards. All the focus on fast food being okay, bacon-wrapped chocolate, so much emphasis on calories and not nutrition, delivered by nonprofessionals with snarky attitudes has driven me away.

I love clean eating, and by that, I mean lean proteins, healthy fats, lots of fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, whole grains, lots of water and minimal or no processed stuff. That is how my mom cooked and taught me to cook. I just got derailed when I grew up and discovered butter. And fast food. And convenience foods. And now in my (very youthful) early 60s, I have eaten my way into a mild case of diabetes and have 85 more pounds to lose. I've lost 16.4 in the last 8 weeks.

I fell off the wagon a few times, but I got right back up. Eating rich desserts in moderation isn't possible for me because I get compulsive and I'll binge. Eating cleanly is the only way I've ever been able to eliminate my craving for sugar completely.

So here I am. Am I in the right place? Because I realized in the wrong place today when I saw a very long thread debating whether a Big Mac was nutritious.

Replies

• GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way about the big boards. I'm trying to eat veggies, fruits, and lean proteins for the bulk on my diet. Carbs (as much as I love them) I'm staying away from at the moment. Apparently, that is not the "right way to lose and keep weight off" - but counting every calorie and staying within your allotted zone, is. Even if that means you are eating McDonalds and Dairy Queen. Just keep counting.

I'd rather eat as much as I want, of the right foods, and not worry about the calories. That way, the *occasional* slice of pizza or birthday cake, really wont be the end of the world anyway.

Congrats on the weight loss!! It sounds like you know your vices ;)
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Thanks, Glinda, nice to hear some sense! I'm one of those people who eats a Big Mac and immediately wants another one. Moderation? What's that? Maybe one day I'll be able to handle the indulgences, but now that I'm dealing with a blood sugar issue, that's another reason to eat as cleanly as I can. I really need to know what's in everything I eat.
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Others just don't understand that. I rarely get involved in the main forums either for that very reason. I notice a huge difference in my training when I eat crap vs eating healthy. I still slip from time to time and eat a slice of pizza or whatnot but for the most part stay away from processed foods all together and no refined sugars.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Yes, there is a huge difference in how I feel every day, and not just because I'm losing weight. I felt it the second day and realized I just had better fuel in my tank.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I've seen a lot of stupid things on the main boards. My way of thinking is that when I make the effort to get all the nutrients I need from real food sources, I just don't have room for a lot of junk. I've personally found that I can eat a lot more healthy foods without gaining than I can junk food.
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've adapted the clean eating about three months ago and have never felt better. My migraines are gone, heartburn gone and no sugar cravings. I do allow myself a little extra on Saturdays but that usually is in the form of one beer but still eating clean. It has now just become a way of life for me and not a diet. Love to actually cook now which I hated to do before. For the most part the only threads I'm on in the forum is the fitness challenge one. That is more motivation for me.
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Sounds like you're making great progress. I've found the Clean Eating forum to be a great source of information and support.
    I, too, love to cook and grew up with some excellent food cooked in mom and grandmom's kitchen.
    Over the past 3 months, hubby and I have moved back to the basics. We are eating whole, fresh foods, modifying our favorite recipes to help with cravings, and counting calories.
    We've found the quality of our food has made a huge difference in keeping us satisfied, even though we're limiting calories (1500). I think there's a lot to be said about the quality of nutrition. Yes, I could fit a Big Mac in my macros, but it would ultimately leave me craving more and unsatisfied.
    Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open and I log daily.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Jahmanrv, I know what you mean. My sugar cravings are gone too, a good thing since I'm almost certainly diabetic now (will have the big test in two weeks). I was taking so much Nexxium before, too! The heartburn and acid reflux were nightly occurrences and would wake me up every night. My lower back hurt whenever I bent over, and I think I had a case of plantar fasciitis that was making me hobble every time I got up from sitting. I still have 85 pounds to lose, but all those things I just mentioned are history.

There was a thread on the main boards about the quality vs. quantity of calories. I was pretty stunned to see people gang up on the guy who maintained that the quality of the calories is important. I was very disappointed to learn that the focus is all on calories and little else. Frankly, a Big Mac and fries will have me running to the bathroom ten minutes after eating and put me to sleep an hour later. My face will puff up from all that salt.

No one needs that!
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I hope this is where I'll feel more comfortable than on the main MFP boards. All the focus on fast food being okay, bacon-wrapped chocolate, so much emphasis on calories and not nutrition, delivered by nonprofessionals with snarky attitudes has driven me away.

I love clean eating, and by that, I mean lean proteins, healthy fats, lots of fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, whole grains, lots of water and minimal or no processed stuff. That is how my mom cooked and taught me to cook. I just got derailed when I grew up and discovered butter. And fast food. And convenience foods. And now in my (very youthful) early 60s, I have eaten my way into a mild case of diabetes and have 85 more pounds to lose. I've lost 16.4 in the last 8 weeks.

I fell off the wagon a few times, but I got right back up. Eating rich desserts in moderation isn't possible for me because I get compulsive and I'll binge. Eating cleanly is the only way I've ever been able to eliminate my craving for sugar completely.

So here I am. Am I in the right place? Because I realized in the wrong place today when I saw a very long thread debating whether a Big Mac was nutritious.

I feel the same way, and I'm glad I found this group. I'm by no means a strict clean eater, and I enjoy the occasional dessert or processed food every now and then; however, the main boards get ridiculous. It seems to only be about weight loss/weight gain on there with no attention paid to future health and trying to feel the best you can! How do you achieve better health and awesomeness? Just like you said: fresh fruits/vegetables, whole grains, and limiting the processed junk.
  • JillyLi
    JillyLi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am with you on staying away from certain foods. I would buy "healthy" packaged granola/fiber bars and end up eating the whole box. I am insulin dependent diabetic and since I have started eating a healthy clean diet I don't need to take as much insulin and my numbers are so much better. I recently joined this board but have not posted too much. I like the support and ideas for healthy living offered here
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Seems like you found your way to the right group. We're pretty reasonable as a group. I keep an open diary and welcome friends who like to eat, cook and live closer to the land.

ewg.org. http://www.ewg.org/foodscores/products. Environmental Working Group

is a good website for evaluating the quality of processed foods organic or otherwise. Just downloaded report on pesticides in produce. You can find that on the home page.

Welcome to MFP and good job on the weight loss.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One of the things I love about this group is that, even though we each have our own opinions of what clean eating is, nobody gets upset or pushy about it. We can give and receive advice and use what works for each of us.

The main boards have some ridiculous, heated arguments.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    TBrownCVT wrote: »
    The main boards have some ridiculous, heated arguments.

I know! Who knew you could start a fight in a weight loss forum by using the phrases "bad foods" and"clean eating" and citing peer-reviewed research that concludes sugar is as addictive as cocaine?
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You are SO right! Heaven forbid that one suggest that food can affect one's mental health. I'm glad to find this little community to be free of torches and pitchforks.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Yep, with you there. Have been clean eating for 6 months and have drastically reduced the hunger mood swings! Plus I have no control and would rather work on the principle that I can't eat junk most of the time instead of attempting to fit it into my daily allowance.
    I have a once a week cheat when I eat things like pizza or pudding but otherwise, I stick to protein,good fats (avocado, nuts,coconut oil), craploads of green veg and limited amounts of carbs like sweet potato and rice.
  • dbkle
    dbkle Posts: 44
    Options
    I just got into a huge argument today on the main boards because I said Oreos weren't healthy...

"prove it"
    "just because they are less nutritious doesn't make them unhealthy"
    etc.
    etc.

I'm glad I found this place. Those people out there are ridiculous and will have a harder time reaching their goals.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the safe haven. Shhhh!
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    They know Oreos aren't healthy. They're just locked into an ideology now. If they keep repeating "Oreos are healthy," could they make it true?

Hmmm, that would be something!
  • 1briannamom
    1briannamom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why would you even want to eat Oreos when you can enjoy a bowl of natural yogurt with fresh blackberries and a handful of almonds.?

I've been using MFP for about 8 weeks now and have lost 19 lb (81 more to go).

I've learned a lot about where I was going wrong with food. Too much of it, of course, but also not enough protein to keep hunger at bay, and too much fat and sugar. My diet has improved, I'm no longer a slave to sugar, I plan my meals, and I'm enjoying cooking and eating again.

Let's all raise a glass of sparkling water to eating clean!
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    I just had a bowl of yogurt with fresh raspberries and half an English muffin. That breakfast is better than any dessert in my book.

Hey, congratulations on your 19 pounds! I just hit 20, in 9 weeks. I am loving this!