Retreating from the Main Boards to This Group

Options

Replies

• MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You are SO right! Heaven forbid that one suggest that food can affect one's mental health. I'm glad to find this little community to be free of torches and pitchforks.

Sold! I am joining also after finding this group just now and this was the first thread I read. I have overcome massive depression issues with my diet. I have ZERO tolerance or patience for internet warriors.

My diary is open and I practice a pretty clean diet. I use protein supplements and bcaa's/creatine for lifting repair and fuel. I have traveled the clean eating road twice before and always get railroaded at home for being so strict but this year I vowed to myself to stay the course. Nobody will make a difference in my decisions this year. I feel too dang good to stop.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I feel exactly the same way.
    I recently opened this account, but I had an account last year. It seems like people are getting snarkier and seem to gang up on whomever posts an unpopular view -- such as "fast food and donuts are not healthy"

I *have* found a lot of useful information on the boards. But I have also seen a lot of negativity and mob mentality.

I mean, it is OK to disagree on topics, but it is not OK to gang up on posters and ridicule them with GIFs and spam threads with "Mean Girls" attitudes.

Also, don't get me wrong, I love bacon.
    And I will indulge occasionally. As a matter of fact tomorrow I plant to make the Skinnytaste Asparagus Salad with Crumbled Bacon...but I digress.

I would like a place to learn about whole foods and nutrition. I enjoy how I feel when I eat better. So, to me, it is more than just creating a caloric deficit without mind to the quality of my food.

Thank you for opening this subject.

• beachhouse758
    Options

[/quote]

The problem is people seem to have forgotten what "truly delicious" means...[/quote]

I think that the problem is that all the artificial flavors and flavor enhancers paired with the fact that most produce now ripens in distribution centers vs. the fields makes for a perfect storm that ends up numbing the taste buds.
    Seriously.
    It is almost like people can't enjoy the taste of ripe strawberries anymore, because we are expecting the taste of hyper-sweet, synthetic strawberry flavor that we have been conditioned to believe is the way berries are supposed to taste like.

Similar to the way one gets used to eating spicy food and suddenly can tolerate super spicy stuff without batting an eye -- because we have an elevated thresh hold for spicy.
    But if you stop eating spicy food for a while, that thresh hold is once again lowered.

The same thing happens with me and "real" flavors. I feel like I have to go through some type of artificial flavor detox and then I can taste and appreciate real food again.

Hope that makes sense

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough where I used to live, seasonal produce was the norm. I'd anxiously await the start of strawberry season, or peach season or whatever season, and boy were they amazing!

I actually eat less fruit now that I'm back in the UK because it's just this mass produced/forced/picked when green mess of horribleness with no *real* flavour.
  • beachhouse758
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

It's too bad farmers down there can't afford pest control solutions. Their farm yields must really suffer for it. This is a subject that is also near and dear to my heart, and I know what you mean about the topic turning so nasty at times. And by the way, Ang, bless you for 40 years in humanitarian aid.

This is exactly what I have done for the first decade here in Mexico. I developed programs so farmers could get closer to sustainable yields without falling into the clutches of Monsanto, which claims here in Mexico to be a sustainable algricultural company. And since most small farmers are illiterate, they have no way of getting information, or defending themselves. Now as I am approaching 70 ( and still work full time, because I have no family of my own and enjoy my work )I no longer work in the field, but in community nutrition here in Mexico City. It's 80% a desk job, something I would not have liked until maybe ten years ago....but now, trying to accept the aging process, it's an ok job.....:o).
    I have lived in developing countries for 30 of the last 40 years and have thankfully learned a lot about simple and natural nutrition, a lesson I am thankful for almost every day.

Your life is fascinating. Thank you for sharing.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Real food is absolutely delicious! This is why I cringe when I look at the Recipes forum. The way people dress up their vegetables is insulting to good food! Why must you always cover your veggies in a little oil and spice blends and roast them? Brussels sprouts are fabulous just steamed, as are green beans, carrots, broccoli, asparagus and just about all everything else. This is how my mom cooked. This is how the English eat their cooked vegetables, and they have a good variety of them, too.

On my first trip to the UK, I was thrilled to see waiters coming around after our entrees were served, holding big platters of perfectly (not overly) cooked fresh vegetables. What a nice change from American restaurants that covered things in sauces or just plunked a few pieces of overcooked broccoli and zucchini on your plate.

I like to steam a good quantity of a variety of vegetables every few days and snack on them, cold. I could eat cold Brussels sprouts until I burst.
  • baileyh_
    baileyh_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you. I hate the notion that as long as you stay within your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. That's just not true. It's all about WHAT you put into your body, too! I wish more people understood that. Happy to have you here!
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,768 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Seems like you found your way to the right group. We're pretty reasonable as a group. I keep an open diary and welcome friends who like to eat, cook and live closer to the land.

ewg.org. http://www.ewg.org/foodscores/products. Environmental Working Group

is a good website for evaluating the quality of processed foods organic or otherwise. Just downloaded report on pesticides in produce. You can find that on the home page.

Welcome to MFP and good job on the weight loss.

You got me off the fake sugar stuff...Thank you ever so much for that! I now sleep better.

My dessert tonight is not Healthy Choice Fudge bars (does not show up on the website) but Julie's Organic Strawberry yogurt bar gets a five...I seem to have to have a dessert...this looks like a good choice.

I now sweeten my Fage % with St. Dalfour's jam. No more with jams by Nature's Hollow. Then I add chopped almonds for a good crunch.

I like my sweets...I am finding some acceptable alternatives.

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Well, I tripped up a bit and put a piece of carrot cake into me yesterday, the first sugary dessert I've had in over two months. It was my own made-from-scratch cake with cream cheese frosting and as usual, it was heavenly. My husband's birthday cake.

The good news is, I stopped at one piece.

By the way, in this morning's news, more organic produce is being recalled for pathogenic bacteria contamination. Please do not equate organic with healthy, folks.
    abc15.com/news/national/recall-of-frozen-organic-spinach-for-listeria-expanded?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitterhttp://
  • timmy2tall4u
    timmy2tall4u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "A place where food isn't just calories"...love it!

Glad to hear others discussing the dichotomy between healthy calories and just calories. For the past few months I have become more aware of what I am putting in my body, how my body reacts to those nutrients (or pseudo-nutrients/ no I don't know if that's an official term). Fruits, veggies, and lean protein sources make me feel like I have more pep in my step and easier to roll out of bed in the morning. Understandably every-body is different; but there are some very real commonalities between all humans.

I'm looking to stay connected with more people like yourselves! Feel free to add me on MFP!

• theharvestkitchen
    theharvestkitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Loving this forum of like-minded people! Health is real wealth! I share healthy recipes and tips on my food blog as my way of journaling healthy foods I love and what I learn about nutrition. http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/
  • thermomixcarla
    thermomixcarla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that I ventured away from the boards and found this group! I spent 10 years following WW principles, where basically lots of low fat, artificially sweetened foods are encouraged. I've been eating clean now for nearly 3 years, low fat nothing, no refined sugar or artificial sweeteners, and a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, coconut products, meat WITH the fat, etc. Over the last 18 months I've been working really hard on repairing my metabolic damage from eating such low nutrient, low cal food for so long, and am now trying to eat between 1 800 - 2 000 cals a day. I get a lot more negative comments now about my diet than I did when I was practically starving myself, both in terms of calories and nutrition! I'm glad to have found some like minded people :-)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I still flit around the main forums (I just roll my eyes at the "shirtless mafia" and move one, but one thing that I can't stand is how so many of them "advise" that unless you have a diagnosed medical condition, you don't have to worry about eating too much salt or sugar. I'd like to see if they are preaching that same nonsense when they are dealing with the ramifications as they age. So many of them are young and can't yet comprehend that they are not immortal and the choices they make now will affect them positively or negatively as they grow older.
  • molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. I feel frightened by some of the main board conversations and recommendations. So glad to have some other clean, whole food eaters for solidarity!
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have friends that are dieting too, but they are doing either Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem, and one who had gastro surgery and gained the weight back is doing Weight Watchers. Their reason for not even trying to clean eat is that they don't have time to cook when they get home from work. None of them have children or a husband, it's just them. It takes to long they said. For the fun of it, I had one over for dinner the other night. Had her bring her processed meal, and I cooked mine. My cooked meal only took 4 minutes longer to make than hers. Sautéed chicken pieces with some veggies in olive oil and a bit of seasoning in a wok. Bam, done in no time. So what is the excuse now I asked her. No answer!!! This same woman suffers headaches all the time, sinus infections, stomach issues. I have been trying to get her to just try this for even two weeks. I'm so positive that she would feel so much better. I know I do. People are just ingrained to eat the processed foods, or the high calories for taste or whatever. It's hard to convince others that there really is a healthy way of eating. I've given up and just enjoy my cooking and my feeling good.

I completely avoid the forums now as I've gotten my head chopped off a few times. This is where I'll hang out instead.
  • jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I knew this group had to exist. Thank you thank you thank you. I believe if you put good in you will get good out. I feel that the big boards don't care so much for nutrition and only look at CICO. I've been reading some crazy things and knew there had to be like minded people somewhere. I was afraid to make a comment for fear of being attacked for suggesting eating cleaner foods. Thank you for providing a safe place to discuss cleaner eating!
  • thisnursewillbehot
    thisnursewillbehot Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think this might be one of my favorite threads ever. So many of the threads on the main forums make me sad... it's hard to believe that people actually believe that stuff! UGH! They have no idea what food really tastes like. When you eat real food, and take the time to taste it, a banana or melon is as sweet as candy. I ate dinner at a friends house yesterday and wasn't able to pick apart the food (discretely of course) so I had a small helping and then had the fruit salad I brought. It tasted like chemicals and salt. That is NOT what I wanted to use my calorie allowance on. And to top it off, I woke up with a killer migraine today.
    It is so nice to be with like minded people who respect each other's views. Whether we avoid meat (I eat very little), gluten, GMO's (raises hand), or go organic whenever possible (raises other hand), or another dietary choice, we support each other!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with y'all! I can't believe so many ppl on the main boards don't pay attention to nutrition! Glad there are some nutrition conscious folks around here!
  • sahi2lynn
    sahi2lynn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had heard of clean eating before, but did not really understand it. A friend invited me to try it for a week and included the menu, recipes and grocery list. It is wonderful. I want to continue. I do find it a bit challenging though to be fully prepared and have the right food on hand.
  • blackcateddie
    blackcateddie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So nice to find a place where I feel at home, I'm not a 100% clean eater, but we grow most of our own vegetables and I'm glad my kids will eat any vegetables they are given as a result. My son said that at university, his carrots don't cook leaving the water orange and I pointed out those were shop bought and probably quick frozen at picking to enable them to travel miles to the store, of course they weren't 'really fresh'.

I like the comments about organic food too, having worked in one of the UK's leading food analytical labs I know that lots of food entering the Uk from non-EU places don't necessarily conform to our standards of inspection which just makes buying organic into a lottery. We grow using no pesticides and only manure based fertiliser but that's because of my cats who I wasn't keen on poisoning.

And the comments about Oreo's? my daughter loves the Oreo ice cream bars and all I can say is...errrrr... no thanks...If I'm going to eat chocolate then honestly I'd rather it was some rum based concoction being served by some half naked hunk fetchingly described as 'eye candy'. if it's not then I'm not interested!

Look forward to learning some lush recipes,