Wasn't losing, but now I think I know why!

Options
Before I started LCHF I had insomnia most nights and diarrhea every single day of my life. All that changed after starting the LCHF diet, I sleep great every night and no more diarrhea! That alone is enough for me to to stick with it, but even though I haven’t lost any more weight after the first week (started a month ago), I’m sticking to it because after further research, I believe I have found out why…I was not tracking what I was eating and once I started to track, I realized I was eating WAY too much protein and not NEARLY enough fat! I just started tracking today, and already feel less hungry and more energized!

It’s hard to believe I am supposed to eat SO MUCH fat!

Tracking is way more important than I thought!

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't think I could the diet without MFP on my I-Phone. Its a Godsend.

I usually eat whatever I want on the first meal (lunch) then on the second meal, I see where I am on the macro pie chart, and in seconds I know what to eat to balance out my macros. I use fat bombs to get extra fat (and they make a great treat at the end of the meals) :D

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Sshhh don't tell Fit_Goat ;) I have to track too and I record many snippets of information in a spreadsheet too. It's surprising what you can discover by watching for cause and effect.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I've gained when not tracking. It wasn't even a question of huge portion sizes, just a lot of little things like not measuring butter or oil to cook with or how much cream I put in my coffee every morning. I don't get hungry at all, so tracking is the only way I have to know if I've had enough OR too much.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Before I started LCHF I had insomnia most nights and diarrhea every single day of my life. All that changed after starting the LCHF diet, I sleep great every night and no more diarrhea! That alone is enough for me to to stick with it, but even though I haven’t lost any more weight after the first week (started a month ago), I’m sticking to it because after further research, I believe I have found out why…I was not tracking what I was eating and once I started to track, I realized I was eating WAY too much protein and not NEARLY enough fat! I just started tracking today, and already feel less hungry and more energized!

No more IBS and getting to pig out on fat daily is awesome is it not. I have to watch the protein as well. You are going great. It was a couple months before I started losing much weight but was losing inches.

I just got back in the house from my quarter mile min daily walk which is down and then up a steep hill and I was thinking how easy it is now climbing the hill at a fast clip vs resting 10 times. :)

Losing most of my arthritis pain and not having to get on Enbrel injections for pain manage makes carbs look like poison in my mind now and insures I leave the Carbs for others.

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Way too much protein? Is there such a thing? ;)
    Sshhh don't tell Fit_Goat ;)

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

*Sharp intake of breath* Oh, he caught me!!! B)

• wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    GrannyMay and Goat---you just made my morning! :D
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    GrannyMay and Goat---you just made my morning! :D

Ditto lol!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options

No more IBS and getting to pig out on fat daily is awesome is it not. I have to watch the protein as well. You are going great. It was a couple months before I started losing much weight but was losing inches.

I just got back in the house from my quarter mile min daily walk which is down and then up a steep hill and I was thinking how easy it is now climbing the hill at a fast clip vs resting 10 times. :)

Losing most of my arthritis pain and not having to get on Enbrel injections for pain manage makes carbs look like poison in my mind now and insures I leave the Carbs for others.

That's awesome GaleHawkins! I believe you have inspired me to start walking again! And yes, for me also, I believe carbs are poison for me as well, I felt miserable and achy and tired before LCHF, and now I'm sure it was the carbs! Keep up the great work!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I usually eat whatever I want on the first meal (lunch) then on the second meal, I see where I am on the macro pie chart, and in seconds I know what to eat to balance out my macros. I use fat bombs to get extra fat (and they make a great treat at the end of the meals) :D

I hope this helps,

Wow DittoDan! That looks and sounds amazing! Definitely going to try these! Definitely a great way to get the extra fat, I'm probably going to get tired of eating avocado with everything just to get my fat intake and this would be so much better!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I've gained when not tracking. It wasn't even a question of huge portion sizes, just a lot of little things like not measuring butter or oil to cook with or how much cream I put in my coffee every morning. I don't get hungry at all, so tracking is the only way I have to know if I've had enough OR too much.

I truly believe this as well now!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I hope this helps,

Wow DittoDan! That looks and sounds amazing! Definitely going to try these! Definitely a great way to get the extra fat, I'm probably going to get tired of eating avocado with everything just to get my fat intake and this would be so much better!

They do look awesome!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

*Sharp intake of breath* Oh, he caught me!!! B)
    smiley-laughing002.gif

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @jerryellis63012‌ you don't have to add fat just to hit a % ...

limit carbs to stay ketotic
    target protein to maintain muscle tissue & limit GNG
    add fat as needed for satiety, performance, and weight goals

fat bombs are often used incorrectly
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    That's so cute, you guys made my morning too ! What a difference from the regular forums, I'm so glad I found this place !
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Wait, how do you use fat bombs incorrectly? do people do something with them besides eat them?
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    kirkor wrote: »

Wait, how do you use fat bombs incorrectly? do people do something with them besides eat them?

LOL, I can only imagine. But I will hazard to guess that people eat them to "increase their fat percentage" thinking that adding fat somehow negates that they ate too many carbs. It doesn't. Percentages don't matter, grams do. Fat bombs should be used for satiety when you don't want to eat carbs or protein. They aren't needed to "get more fat in" just to get more fat in.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was of the impression that staying under your carb goal, meeting your protein goal (based on activity, etc) were the essentials. The fats were more of an "as needed" sort of thing to round out the rest and meet calorie minimum if you've topped out the other two macros. Am I wrong in this?
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    @Iamunderconstruction. I set my protein level half way between min and max for me on the keto calculator. If I go over a bit or under a bit I do not worry because of my built in cushion. My carb goal is 20 or below which is a must for me. I do not try to hit my fat macro. I just eat enough to stop feeling hungry between meals. If I feel hunger I ride it out, or have a cup of black tea, and add a little more fat to the next meal.

I agree fat bombs could be a bit over used. I have not actually made a fat bomb. I am sure they are delicious.I am just staying away from them. Closest I get is a 1 OZ slice of Cream cheese with a little Stevia sprinkled on it. Trying to keep it all very real in my WOE.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I agree....I have made fat bombs, and they were good, but the potential to over eat them is great. I guess a lot of this for me is trial and error for awhile.