Do you eat more calories

Options

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I remember during my last successful low carb run I would actually get a slice of real cake complete with plate and fork, walk around with it for a few minutes so everyone saw it, then set it down somewhere in the kitchen when no one was watching. No one ever noticed that I didn't actually eat the thing. Of course don't try this if you're still struggling with cravings...

Now that is clever. I will try and do this with wine next time I am out with friends.

And then hand it off to a supportive friend where the others can't see it. No wasting wine! :wink:
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My favorite dessert has always been a nice cup of creamy coffee, so I'm not in too much danger. But something to put the candles in is always nice.

Gotta track down the spring form pan, who knows last time it was used.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat around 2400-2500 cals per day and have no problem losing 2 lbs a week as long as I keep my protein 100-120 gms. I gain weight if my protein goes over 150g on a 2400-2500 cal diet. Figure out yourself, all these blogs and recommendations don't mean jack if your body is different. A good start would be to forget numbers and start listening to your body.

I will NOT listen to my body. Listening to my body is the reason I'm fat. My body would have me eating Macca's/Subway/Pizza and Icecream every day. The only way I've managed to lose weight is by telling my body "NO!!! YOU WILL HAVE WHAT I SAY YOU HAVE WHEN I SAY YOU HAVE IT". Even last year, I was keto for about 9 months, and I was always one sandwich away from a full blown - gain 20kg - binge. While on keto I'm able to control my eating, I am NEVER able to relax and trust my body to know what it needs. EVER. No, it's not a nice way to live.

Today for example it's 11am. I've had the following. And I'm starving. I ate about half an hour ago, including the broth.

I'll have 4 eggs and some mayo when I get home at lunch time, but I will still be head-achy and hungry at dinner time. I guarantee it.

Morning Coffee Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber
    Butter - Salted, 15 g 108 0 12 0 0
    Coconut Oil 15 Gm 126 0 14 0 0

Morning tea
    Philadelphia 40g 55 1 10 2 0
    Vegetable Stock 1.5g 5 1 0 0 0
    English Leg Ham 100 g 96 2 2 18 0

Totals 498 4 50 20 0
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber

I am yet to hit that point where I'm NOT hungry. Last night for dinner I had half an avocado, 30g whole egg mayo, and a bacon wrapped meatloaf (chicken mince, cheese, spinach, and bacon - 515 cals). The whole meal was 900 cals. I was not satisfied, I still wanted to eat.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I feel for you @shai74 I've been feeling hungry the past week as well but if I eat even a little more I put weight and size on very quickly. I can't even 'eat back' my exercise calories and still lose effectively.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    cindytw wrote: »
    I have recently decided to track for macros only and nutrients (so I can supplement as needed) and to not stress the calories. I am having success with it! I don't always track anymore, and my intake is all over the place, but I think I eat what I need more this way. Stressing over it makes it worse for me. The key is I am also trying to be more active and not to eat if I am not actually hungry. Mindless snacking can get me! But if I do track for a few weeks and say hey, I ate 2000 calories of snacks , UH, I might wanna check that! I am eating double what MFP recommends and I lost 2# this week! So, I think in the context of a good diet where we are having our needs met the calories will sort themselves out if we are mindful as well to not be gluttons! I used to be a tracker but found it was not serving me anymore (to count calories).

I'm considering this option too. Just not counting the calories any more as I feel my hunger signals are pretty in check. I'm concerned that if I'm hungry, I must (for whatever reason) be at too much of a deficit, which could have negative impacts in terms of metabolism and insuling resistance. Which is what i'm trying to correct. That's not to say I'll eat with reckless abandom (though the thought is nice at times)

Yes, if I am actually "stomach rumbling" hungry I eat. I eat good foods and realize that I was starving myself! I am relatively active during the day and think I actually burn more than MFP says. Fitbit is more accurate for my overall burn but linking the 2 made it way too high so I un-linked it. I need to track this week again to look at my nutrients I got away from it and seasons and tastes are changing this week!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    I eat around 2400-2500 cals per day and have no problem losing 2 lbs a week as long as I keep my protein 100-120 gms. I gain weight if my protein goes over 150g on a 2400-2500 cal diet. Figure out yourself, all these blogs and recommendations don't mean jack if your body is different. A good start would be to forget numbers and start listening to your body.

I will NOT listen to my body. Listening to my body is the reason I'm fat. My body would have me eating Macca's/Subway/Pizza and Icecream every day. The only way I've managed to lose weight is by telling my body "NO!!! YOU WILL HAVE WHAT I SAY YOU HAVE WHEN I SAY YOU HAVE IT". Even last year, I was keto for about 9 months, and I was always one sandwich away from a full blown - gain 20kg - binge. While on keto I'm able to control my eating, I am NEVER able to relax and trust my body to know what it needs. EVER. No, it's not a nice way to live.

Today for example it's 11am. I've had the following. And I'm starving. I ate about half an hour ago, including the broth.

I'll have 4 eggs and some mayo when I get home at lunch time, but I will still be head-achy and hungry at dinner time. I guarantee it.

Morning tea

Totals 498 4 50 20 0

I am yet to hit that point where I'm NOT hungry. Last night for dinner I had half an avocado, 30g whole egg mayo, and a bacon wrapped meatloaf (chicken mince, cheese, spinach, and bacon - 515 cals). The whole meal was 900 cals. I was not satisfied, I still wanted to eat.

You might want to look into intermittent fasting as a way to control the hunger. I know, it sounds backwards, but I actually did the exact same thing a month or so ago. I found I was snacking too much, so I did a routine where I intentionally skip breakfast and don't eat until around noon. My last meal is usually about 7pm, so from then until noon the next day, I don't eat anything. You can graze if you want during the eating window, but I found it nice to have two large meals of 900-1000 calories each. It might help teach you that it's okay to be hungry (and what physical hunger feels like, as opposed to the mental desire to eat) and it's okay to say "no, it's not time to eat right now."

Also, double check your goals and make sure you're not trying to restrict too much. If you're attempting a 2lb/1kg per week rate, then that might be working against you and it might be worth trying to back off to a 1lb/.5kg rate.

Finally, you might want to look into phosphatidylserine supplementation. It's a cortisol reducing compound found in some plants (namely soy, but you can get supplements made from sunflowers), which might help, since elevated cortisol is a common underlying cause for cravings and binge issues (and, of course, it's the stress hormone, and when it's constantly elevated, it can make handling external sources of stress that much more difficult).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

You must be new around here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My thought exactly.

We have birthdays coming up and I'm trying to decide what to do about serving cake. I think to most guests anything I make will be a catastrophe, while simultaneously tempting me back to the carb side. I may just get a small treat cake for them and make some of those macadamia brownie bombs for myself.

See, I've had absolutely zero problem doing standard baking: brownies with frosting, fudge(mostly my 14yo makes this, about once a month), cookies, whatever... and not eating it. For my birthday, we just didn't have cake, because well... -my- birthday and I didn't want it, lol. But for the husband's birthday saturday, there will be cake. I will just not partake. MY family has gotten used to me saying "no thanks".

The cake is a lie!

Sorry...couldn't resist....

Infinity thumbs up!
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Morning tea

Totals 498 4 50 20 0

perhaps it is time to discuss the difference between physical and emotional hunger. Emotional Hunger I can tell you from personal experience, is MUCH more powerful than actual hunger. What triggers it, how long it lasts and the reason some of us are prone to it is an important area of self evaluation. It can be painful but also very empowering. <3
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Morning tea

Totals 498 4 50 20 0

You are fat because you ate crap. Eat clean and till you are full. It doesn't matter much how much crap you eat, its still a crap. I can eat 4000 calories on some days and not gain weight. Human body is not a number, give the body when it needs food, don't force eat or emotionally eat when you don't need to. I eat one big meal most of the days and never feel hungry. If I feel hungry, I eat more, I don't hold back because of some random number pulled off the internet.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You are fat because you ate crap. Eat clean and till you are full. It doesn't matter much how much crap you eat, its still a crap. I can eat 4000 calories on some days and not gain weight. Human body is not a number, give the body when it needs food, don't force eat or emotionally eat when you don't need to. I eat one big meal most of the days and never feel hungry. If I feel hungry, I eat more, I don't hold back because of some random number pulled off the internet.

Dammit @leonidas_and_spartacus‌ I missed your during your period of absence. I couldn't have said it better myself. Not that you'd remember who I am, and I changed my user name (was frob23). But, you were pretty active a while ago when I was fairly new.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Dammit @leonidas_and_spartacus‌ I missed your during your period of absence. I couldn't have said it better myself. Not that you'd remember who I am, and I changed my user name (was frob23). But, you were pretty active a while ago when I was fairly new.

Of course I remember you very well. You are an inspiration to low carb folks, you have done amazing job with your transformation. I might as well say, one of the few who have actual results to show for, not just empty posts.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I remember your posts about your weight loss being inspirational. I wished I could lose at the same rate you were, but everyone's body is different and mine went at it's own pace.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Morning tea

Totals 498 4 50 20 0

have you ever experimented with ditching dairy? how is your sleep cycle?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

If tracking is not a one-size-fits-all solution then neither is not-tracking. Both can be effective. You're correct that the human body is not a number, and the psychological and emotional components of losing weight in the modern world mean that "eat when hungry" is not always going to work.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

If tracking is not a one-size-fits-all solution then neither is not-tracking. Both can be effective. You're correct that the human body is not a number, and the psychological and emotional components of losing weight in the modern world mean that "eat when hungry" is not always going to work.

Tracking is different than obsessing, I do track sometimes but mostly for after the fact analysis. Hunger can be impacted by what you put in your mouth/ your hormones, genes and other factors. If you don't put crap or something which makes you hungry, the quantity will most likely take care of itself. Now, if some one is emotionally weak or can't control what they eat, its not gonna matter if they track or not. They are one binge away from disaster anyways.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. I totally believe in the connection between the mind/emotions and the diet. Just as emotions can impact how anxious we feel and thereby influence the state of our gut, producing tummy upset when we are upset in our mind...........the opposite is true as well, especially by adding good quality fats to our diet. If we eat well enough, and ensure we eat enough high quality fat, I believe that a state of emotional well being occurs. It's good for the brain.

shai74, maybe you could listen to your body more and aim to feed it what it needs, instead of what your emotions are tied to. The good thing that usually arrives with the increase in fat and decrease in carbs, is that it is easier to feel satiated on less food, and that's a big step. It's also very true that the body doesn not recognize faux foods as nourishment.

Also I agree with trying fasting as a way to gain control and really observe what your body is telling you. Don't give up, you'll find your way...
  • shai74
    Options

This is both rude and presumptuous. But thank you for your opinion. I generally do not, and have never "eaten crap" on an every day basis. I am fat because my body tells me it wants more food than it needs. I live in here, I think I'd know. Even before getting serious and restricting carbs to below 20g a day my diet has predominantly been whole foods, meat, vegetables, cheese and whatnot. Takeaway maybe once a month. No soda, or candy, or chips or other rubbish. I am a good cook, I have no need to eat that rubbish. Never have.

To try and respond to all the other suggestions. I don't emotional eat, not anymore. I eat because I'm hungry. I take the required supplements. I drink plenty of water. I eat plenty of fat. I do IF, I don't normally eat until I get home from work at 12:30pm. Just coffee in the morning.

I have experimented a few times by eating what my body tells me I need, until I'm not tummy growling, headache inducing, stay awake at night hungry anymore, and it ends up being about 2500 cals. Consistently. And I gain weight on this much. So I stand by my previous post. Some of you need to understand that we are not all the same.

Reasons I Low Carb. Everyone in my family has diabetes (8 uncles, 2 aunts and my dad). I'm 40 and scared I'm going to get diabetes too, it's ruined my Dad and he's a sick old man at 65. Low Carb does wonders for my joint pain. Low carb does NOT make it any easier for me to lose weight. I want it to. I want to get to the point many of you talk about, where you're losing weight because you don't want to eat as much. My macros are right, I track everything, but it just hasn't happened. Even last year, over 9 months, I never got to that point. I can lose weight, but I need to eat 1750 cals or less a day. And I'm hungry. Every day.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Shai, have you talked to a doctor? It sounds like you may have something else going on, like thyroid issues.
  • shai74
    Options
    I've had bloods done a few times over the last 12 months, nothing shows up. I can't really justify going to the Dr to say "I'm on a diet and I'm hungry". I doubt they would do much. As for even trying to make a Dr understand that I feel I should have less of an appetite due to my keto lifestyle, forget it. My thyroid was okay last time it was checked a couple of years ago.
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight on LC never bringing a calorie into the equation, anf honestly it was faster and easier. Only reccently because of some medications I was starting I started tracking calories for a period of time. 1200 calories. I still lost weight by adjusting my portions and still consuming 75-80% fat and honestly I wasnt hungry but my weight lost slowed considerably. Thankfully, I am free to forget about the calories again, and I expect the weight loss to be increased eating four eggs for breakfast instead of one lol :-)