Prowler Push 50m @225#
    :Rest 1 minute:
    Sled Pull @185#
    :Rest 1 minute:
    3 Stone Ground to Delivery Deck @150#, 175#, 175#

WOD:
    5 rounds of 100m Sprint
    (11.9, 11.8, 12.1, 11.3, 14.1)

This is our August benchmark, so we'll do this again at the end of the month and see how we improved. Damn I was gassed at the end of the sprints! One guy puked, and i'm happy to say it wasn't me! :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    For those of you scaling push-ups to your knees, my coach shared a little secret with me (before I even started CF, she's a good friend of mine) that worked wonders! I went from barely getting one "real" push-up, to being able to do 20 at a time (hand-release at that!) in very short time with her method.

She said, "get off your knees!" and advised that I roll-up to to the plank position and then work the negative by lowering myself straight down. I still resort to the roll-up method when there are way too many push-ups in a wod and my arms become to exhausted to push up anymore. Her reasoning was that you will gain strength in the needed muscles more with the roll-up (working the negative) method than you will with going to your knees.

I haven't done a push-up on my knees in nearly a year.

This is a great tip, and I def want to get off my knees, but what do you mean by "roll up to the plank position"? I understand working the negative, but the "roll up" has me confused.

Thanks!!

Think she means once you are down to use your butt/back to roll yourself back up to the starting position instead of just pressing yourself up.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    For those of you scaling push-ups to your knees, my coach shared a little secret with me (before I even started CF, she's a good friend of mine) that worked wonders! I went from barely getting one "real" push-up, to being able to do 20 at a time (hand-release at that!) in very short time with her method.

She said, "get off your knees!" and advised that I roll-up to to the plank position and then work the negative by lowering myself straight down. I still resort to the roll-up method when there are way too many push-ups in a wod and my arms become to exhausted to push up anymore. Her reasoning was that you will gain strength in the needed muscles more with the roll-up (working the negative) method than you will with going to your knees.

This is a great tip, and I def want to get off my knees, but what do you mean by "roll up to the plank position"? I understand working the negative, but the "roll up" has me confused.

Thanks!!

Think she means once you are down to use your butt/back to roll yourself back up to the starting position instead of just pressing yourself up.

yeah, basically doing something like the yoga move "cobra" and then popping your hips/butt up last to a plank. Lift your shoulders/chest up first and then your butt/hips...
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Is it odd that I feel like Fran kind of knocked the rust off of my yesterday? I feel better today than I have all week. I feel like that quick, intense burst of activity helped loosen me up and get me ready for next week.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Fran tomorrow.

21-15-9
    Thrusters (95/65)
    Pull Ups

L3 – 15-12-9 Pull Ups, Thrusters as Rx’d
    L2- 75/55 Thruster, Banded Pull Ups
    L1 – 65/45 or less Thruster, Ring Rows (as horizontal as possible)

I will go Level 1 just to set a baseline for myself. I'm certain it will hurt a lot.

Lvl1, 7:36. Will definitely increase weight next time and hopefully be on banded pull ups too, though that might take a bit longer.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed in how yesterday's went.

Lift:
    Power clean to front squat 5x3

WOD: 5 round metcon

Option A:
    30 box jumps (30"/24")
    30 kettlebell swings (70lb/55lb)

Option B:
    20 box jumps (24"/20")
    20 kettlebell swings (55lb/35lb)

Option C:
    20 box jumps (20"/16")
    20 kettlebell swings (35lb/26lb)

I went into the workout just knowing it was box jumps and kettlebell swings, and I'm thinking "oh sweet, I got this", because normally RX for women is 20" jumps and 35lb KB. Saw the board and had a sad. I did 20" jumps and started off with the 35lb KB, and only made it two rounds before I had to knock it down to 26lbs.

Finished in 18:22 with a 20:00 time cap.

Not bad for someone who'd basically eaten ice cream for all major meals the day before, but still pretty pathetic for what I was expecting.
  • jsdcap
    jsdcap Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    10 deadlifts @205
    10 Headstand Pushups, I did them on a box
    10 deadlifts @205
    20 Toes to Bar
    10 deadlifts @205
    30 Box jumps
    10 deadlifts @205
    40 Kettle Ball swing to over head
    10 deadlifts @205
    50 Butterfly sit-ups
    10 deadlifts @205
    240 Single unders
    10 deadlifts @205

35 minute cap

MY TIME 29:31 Did not think I could finish BUT I DID!!!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed in how yesterday's went.

Lift:
    Power clean to front squat 5x3

WOD: 5 round metcon

Option A:
    30 box jumps (30"/24")
    30 kettlebell swings (70lb/55lb)

Option B:
    20 box jumps (24"/20")
    20 kettlebell swings (55lb/35lb)

Option C:
    20 box jumps (20"/16")
    20 kettlebell swings (35lb/26lb)

I went into the workout just knowing it was box jumps and kettlebell swings, and I'm thinking "oh sweet, I got this", because normally RX for women is 20" jumps and 35lb KB. Saw the board and had a sad. I did 20" jumps and started off with the 35lb KB, and only made it two rounds before I had to knock it down to 26lbs.

Finished in 18:22 with a 20:00 time cap.

Not bad for someone who'd basically eaten ice cream for all major meals the day before, but still pretty pathetic for what I was expecting.

That's not pathetic at all! Everyone has their good and bad days. And that was a lot of KB swings. Good on you for doing it and maybe next time you'll be able to stay at the 35lbs swings. Maybe not. Keep at it though and don't get discouraged!
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    Fight Gone Bad tonight... YES!! So excited for this one, has been ages since I last did it :love:

(Wish me luck!)
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Strength
    15 minutes to practice/test the 3 Position Snatch (Hi-Hang, Hang, Floor) <--- I worked up from PVC to 48lbs. I have no idea what my max was as it's been so long since we did these.

WOD
    For time:

30 T2B
    20 Thruster
    Run 800m
    20 Thrusters
    30 T2B

Finished in 17:12. Thrusters were at 53lbs. Did knees to elbows as I don't have T2B yet. Great WOD! Smoked my grippers.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^That's a tough one. Good luck, it sounds like fun!

For me tonight will be:

Back Squat

15 Minutes to work to a heavy single for the day.

Could be a new 1RM if your warm ups go well and you are hitting a good flow, but use your time wisely to establish somewhere near max effort for today. Do not sacrifice proper depth or your positioning for a larger weight.

“Back Off!”

5 Rounds for time:

6 Back Squats (185/125)

12 Box Jumps (30/24″)

When I did stronglifts I did 5x5@ 245 before I stopped, so I'm thinking my 1RM should be around 285-300. I'm going to really keep the focus on form and depth, though, so if I can only go 245 I'd be OK with that and use it for my baseline.

For "Back Off!" I don't think I can RX the box jumps since when I tested my max I only got to 33 inches or so, but I can definitely RX the weight. That will be a first!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Warm up:
    750m row
    Hamstricn stretches
    Tabata: thrusters with empty barbell @45#
    Spiderman Stretch
    10 kip swings
    5 pull ups
    40 DUs

Strength/Skill:
    Back Squats 5x5 @ 70% of 1RM (@225#)

WOD:
    For time:
    20-15-10-5 of:
    Thrusters @95#
    Pull Ups (band assisted)
    DUs or 2x singles

Done in 12:35. Felt good getting my kipping pullups done even though it was with a band.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

yeah, basically doing something like the yoga move "cobra" and then popping your hips/butt up last to a plank. Lift your shoulders/chest up first and then your butt/hips...

Just getting back here after the weekend...

Thanks for the clarification!!! This makes perfect sense to me now and I will incorporate it immediately!!!
  • SnicciFit
    Options

Thanks!!

Just getting back here after the weekend...

Thanks for the clarification!!! This makes perfect sense to me now and I will incorporate it immediately!!!

I hope it helps! I know it sped things up for me!
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Today we redid the open wod 13.4.

Open WOD 13.4

AMRAP – 7 Minutes

3 Clean and Jerk
    3 TTB
    6 Clean and Jerk
    6 TTB
    9 Clean and Jerk
    9 TTB
    … and so on and so forth until time elapses.

(135/95)

I was expecting to do worse since I was at a wedding all weekend and basically feel like I'm in a fog from all the crap I ate and not sleeping. I managed 59 reps which is 9 more than I did the open! A lot of my lifts have plateaued as of late so it was nice to see I've made improvements in the last few months. Crossfit works!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Today we redid the open wod 13.4.

Open WOD 13.4

AMRAP – 7 Minutes

3 Clean and Jerk
    3 TTB
    6 Clean and Jerk
    6 TTB
    9 Clean and Jerk
    9 TTB
    … and so on and so forth until time elapses.

(135/95)

I was expecting to do worse since I was at a wedding all weekend and basically feel like I'm in a fog from all the crap I ate and not sleeping. I managed 59 reps which is 9 more than I did the open! A lot of my lifts have plateaued as of late so it was nice to see I've made improvements in the last few months. Crossfit works!

That's a beast of a workout. Great job!
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Today’s workout was
    Strict Press:
    2-2-1-1-1

I did 73-78-83-88-93, 93 is a PR which I’m super pumped about because I’ve probably missed it at least 5 times!

For time:
    400 M Farmer Carry (40# dumbbells in each hand)
    30 HSPU (scaled to using two ab mats)
    200 M Run
    30 HSPU
    400 M Farmer Carry (40# dumbbells in each hand)

Finished in 23:40, my forearms are toast!
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Warm up: 2 rounds of 10 BB thrusters, 8 hand release press ups, 6 pull ups, 4 BB muscle snatch

5 round of 5 pull ups and 5 hollow rocks
    12 minutes of EMOM wall facing handstand 30 sec hold on odd mins, and 3 second temp 3 ring dips even minutes

WOD: Buy-in of 30ft handstand walk or wheelbarrow walk (someone holding your feet) then for time 3 rounds of 5 power snatch, 15 pull ups, 60 DUs. 8 minute cut off.

I got to 9 pull ups in my last round. :-) And now my shoulders hate me
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Skill Work

Rope Climbing

10 minutes of technique review and free climbing.

“Angie”

For time:

100 Pull Ups

100 Push Ups

100 Sit Ups

100 Air Squats
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Warmup - 3(15(air squats + good mornings + mountain climbers)+20(arm circles))

Strength - Good mornings (1st time doing these with weight)
    Using 45 pound bar - 3x12
    45 pound bar + additional 10 pounds (55 pounds total) - 1x8

WoD - 3 Rounds for Time of:
    20 weighted butterfly sit ups (25 pound plate)
    20 dumbbell thrusters (AHAP; did 1st round with 25 pounders, 2nd and 3rd round with 20 pounders)
    20 box jumps (box jumps make me uncomfortable; I jumped onto one of those step platforms with a single lift underneath it)
    Awkward jog with 25 pound plate down and back twice (the short way) on the basketball court.

I managed to finish this in a solid 30:25 in a regular gym. I did spend a little time walking from the "Core room" (situps, box jumps) to the free weights area (thrusters) to the basketball court, but I imagine that's time I would have spent standing idly to rest anyway. I swapped down on weight for the thrusters because my form was really starting to suffer. By the way, I seem to be able to manage higher weight on thrusters when I use a bar instead of dumbbells. I've previously thought this was due to the fact that I have to expend more energy with the dumbbells keeping them in control than I do with a bar, but now I'm wondering if something else might be at play. Thoughts?