krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Sorry about the title. I'm in a weird mood and my pun game is off a bit xD

UBB 2.0 Construct W2D3

Snatch balance x3 + OH Squat x3 (superset like): 65, 75, 75, 80
Fun snatch skill work. Coulda gone a lil heavier

Front squats 107.5x5x5
Step box jumps x2 @24'
the box jumps were still playing tricks on my mind so I didn't try to go higher. Need to keep myself more upright. Front squats were not that hard, I'm happy about that.

Grinder (12 min cap)
- 50 burpees over the bar (7:10) (banged my shin on the bar around the 30th rep. For some reason my foot just didn't rise when I jumped. I have a nasty bruise/gash on the lower part of my shin now. What's the point of wearing shin guards on box jumps if I eff my shins up NOT doing box jumps? xD)
- 40 deadlifts @75lbs (10:00) - easy peasy, broke it down into 20/20 to spare my lower back
- 30 push press @ 75lbs (got to 18 at the 12 min mark, kept going intending on finishing the grinder)
- 20 clean & press @ 75lbs -> did 3, then called it in. I was at 15:45 and just dead. Should've stripped down the bar to 65 for the overhead stuff, even if the deads were really easy
- (10 muscle ups, in case you wanted to know how it was supposed to end. Woulda broken it down to trx rows and dips)

NMW Recline rows x15, push-ups x20
the last reps on both were grindy and sketchy beyond belief. I will be redoing these numbers next workout.

Bring on the fools, we're gonna crush this month!

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Today's cardio day - nothing yet, I didn't sleep really well so I didn't get up at my usual time to work out. So I'll go for a bike ride or something after work. I didn't check in for the last 5 days because I was just doing the Spring Break thing with the kids for a couple of days. I still did all of my working out - ate a little more than usual, but nothing so bad it'll set me back too much. Tomorrow's a lift day :)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Today's workout: NONE. I was exhausted and opted to sleep instead. Working 2 jobs has just thrown me way off.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a comeback.

Well, OK, call it a comeback. But I'm back! Some of you may remember that I was active in this group last year, then had to take a hiatus due to injuries. I messed up my left knee and my right shoulder and got told to knock it off for a while.

But now I'm back in gym, amping the weights back up. Heading back into the squat cage (hello lover). I'm on my second SL 5x5 workout and I haven't felt this happy since I quit.

So, I've significantly deloaded:

Squats: 70 lb
    Bench: 55 lb
    Barbell Rows: 65 lb

Accessories included some one-legged bench lunges and some good mornings, just to see how they felt. They felt good.

Lovely to be back with you ladies!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Happy April Fools Day! :wink:

I was on Workout B today:

Squats, 5x5@115 lbs. These were quite tough, even with 3 minutes rest in between sets. As per my usual, I will repeat here on Friday before trying to move up.

OHP, 5x5@55 lbs. The last rep of the 5th set was questionable, but I went ahead and counted it. I will still repeat this weight though.

Deadlift, 1x5@125 lbs. These were also tough, I think mostly because I was pretty tired out from the squats. I didn't do any accessories today since the weights are getting pretty dang tough now.

Cardio: 45 minutes on the treadmill. I ran 100 miles in March, hoping to increase over that in April!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Intervals today, the super wind and the coldness impacted my performance (or so I tell myself) 14, 30 sec sprint 60 sec walk got 3.37K out of it. For some reason I have really sore quads from it. Going to do bench tomorrow instead of squats to give my legs some down time.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    workout B this morning

Squats 5 x 5 at 45 kgs
    OHP 5 x 5 at 20 kgs ( yay finally managed my 5 x 5)
    dl 5 x 1 at 50 kgs

after I did some lunges, plank, push ups

I do my SL usually at my works gym in the morning before I start work. No thai boxing class tonight, will go tomorrow
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    meglo91 wrote: »

Well, OK, call it a comeback.

hey, you're back! :p hi.

i didn't go today. another loooooooooong day at work; i knew it was too good to last long.

tomorrow, and if not tomorrow then friday for sure.

*sigh*

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome back, Meg!

Today I tried out an Ice Cream Fitness workout, which is basically just stronglifts + extra stuff. I did Workout A. First time taking a notebook to the gym but I need it, that program has lots of stuff!

I had to deload because it has been over a week since I lifted. But I don't even care! I had a great workout and I'm in an amazing mood! Only downside is it is 1AM and I'm not even tired because I'm too high on life WHEEEE

Squats 5x5@90. Dangit this SHOULD have been my big 100 day, but it was a deload instead. And really it was a good thing because the 90 was tough. Will move (back) to 95 next time.

Bench Press 1x5@55 then 4x5@60, with 5x12 leg lifts while holding the bar, and 5x15 hip thrusts (those really hit my abs). My prescribed deload was 55 but really it was too easy so I went back to 60. The 60 was pretty challenging though so I may do it again.

Bent Over Row - 5x5@65 I did normal bent overs instead of Pendlays because I just don't have the patience to get the bumpers. My deload was 65 but these were pretty easy; I used the opportunity to really think about my form and I think it was helpful.

Barbell Shrugs 3x8@65. Just stuck with the bar I was using for the rows. This weight seemed easy for these.

Tricep Extensions 3x8@50. This was my first time using a cable machine. I know, right? What is wrong with me? These were fairly challenging. I felt like they were working my obliques or something? I was really tightening my core to do the pulldowns, in addition to my arms.

Barbell Curls 3x8@30. I was mortified at my weight on these. I picked up the 50 and couldn't even do it then I went to the 40 and was horrified that it was STILL too hard. The 30 was really tough!! What the heck?!

Hyper Extensions - 2x10@25 I have never used that weird bench thing where you do reverse crunches and I have no idea if I used it properly. Was really glad that by then there were like 5 people at the gym so I could mess with it. Randomly picked 25lbs to hold and this seemed challenging and about right.

Ab Machine ? 3x10 @ 10. I have no idea what the machine is called and didn't understand how to use it. I assume my weight was too easy because I didn't feel it working anything. Or I was just doing it wrong. whooooo knows.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    Yesterday was Strong Lift day:
    Squat = 60lb (deloaded but will upload because I now have a squat rack)
    OHP =60lb
    DL = 125lb
    Cardio was a 20 minute cycle against the wind.
  • krokador
    Options
    meglo91 wrote: »

Well, OK, call it a comeback. But I'm back!

Welcome back! I'm sure you'll get back to your past weights in no time! :)
    threnjen wrote: »
    Barbell Shrugs 3x8@65. Just stuck with the bar I was using for the rows. This weight seemed easy for these.

Tricep Extensions 3x8@50. This was my first time using a cable machine. I know, right? What is wrong with me? These were fairly challenging. I felt like they were working my obliques or something? I was really tightening my core to do the pulldowns, in addition to my arms.

Barbell Curls 3x8@30. I was mortified at my weight on these. I picked up the 50 and couldn't even do it then I went to the 40 and was horrified that it was STILL too hard. The 30 was really tough!! What the heck?!

Hyper Extensions - 2x10@25 I have never used that weird bench thing where you do reverse crunches and I have no idea if I used it properly. Was really glad that by then there were like 5 people at the gym so I could mess with it. Randomly picked 25lbs to hold and this seemed challenging and about right.

Ab Machine ? 3x10 @ 10. I have no idea what the machine is called and didn't understand how to use it. I assume my weight was too easy because I didn't feel it working anything. Or I was just doing it wrong. whooooo knows.

Shrugs are meant as a trap and grip builder. Move up the weight if they feel easy, you should be wishing for straps by the end of the 3rd set! (and you can use them, too) You also don't need to keep the weight static on these accessories, so challenge yourself a bit if you want!

Were you doing pushdowns or overhead extensions on the cable machine? If you were feeling your abs and doing pushdowns, then you might'v ebeen bent over a bit too much and using your body to move the weight instead of just your triceps. I'd lower the weight a smidge and work on keeping your elbows by your ribs and ONLY moving your forearms throughout the movement.

Curls are not a move you'll do a lot of weight at. I've been at this for 2 years and I think the most I've curled for more than 3 reps was 50 xD Biceps are a tiny muscle.

As for the ab machine, I used to do cable crunches for that one (high cable with a rope attachment, got on my knees facing away from it and crunched down holding the ropes around my neck, basically). Pretty sure I could handle well over 60 for 15-20 reps from the get go, so you might've just gone a little too light there.

Hope that helps you over for the next workout :)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So I don't have to go into work today (childcare issues means I some how get to put in a full day with the kiddos). But I thought I would like some time in the morning to get some work done before the kids woke up. LOL, I don't know why but if I don't have to go anywhere my daughter always wakes up half way through my last set. Now she's up but really tired and it's gonna be a day full of suck.

My workout wasn't too bad though
    Bench day 5
    75 lbs x 5, 85 lbs x 5 and 95 lbs x 4 so it was a fail. I knew it would happen soon.
    3x 8 65 lbs

Then AMRAP in 4 min x 3
    Bent over rows 65 lbs
    DB snatch 10 lbs (usually do those with 20 lbs but I did one and my shoulder told me NO very clearly)
    inverted rows
    knee raises
    3/6/9, 3/6/9, 3/6/and some of 9

The snatches were too easy but I don't have 15's and the rows got really grindy when I got passed 6.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Did a 2 mile run on my lunch break yesterday.

Then hit the gym for workout B.
    Squats 5x5 at 145#. These felt good. I feel like my form is together for the most part. I'm still hanging out at weights for a week or two to make sure, but I'm going to be progressing back up from here.
    OHP 5x5 at 75#. WOW! These were hard. I am going to stick here for a bit before bumping up. I got 5x5, but I struggled on a few of them and was just barely able to get all of them.
    Deads 1x5 at 185#. This felt stupid heavy yesterday. It shouldn't be, but it was. I'm thinking it's because of the 5 mile run on Tuesday and the 2 miles I did at lunch fatiguing me.

Some accessories:
    Light deads 2x10 at 135#. Mainly did these to work on flipping my reverse grip since I've been having some issues with grip strength as of late.
    Arnold presses (3x10 at 30#) supersetted with front and side raises (3x10each at 20#).
    Cable rows (3x10 at 80#) supersetted with hip thrusters (3x10 at 35#).
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Short warm-up
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x125
    Bench: 5x5x85
    Row: 5x5x85

It was pure torture to get out of bed this morning. It was all stormy and dark outside and I was all cozy next to my man. Then the alarm, then snooze x2, then panic that I wouldn't have enough time, then pressing through it like a beast. Glad I got up, but I am a bit tired from going to sleep too late!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

Shrugs are meant as a trap and grip builder. Move up the weight if they feel easy, you should be wishing for straps by the end of the 3rd set! (and you can use them, too) You also don't need to keep the weight static on these accessories, so challenge yourself a bit if you want!

Were you doing pushdowns or overhead extensions on the cable machine? If you were feeling your abs and doing pushdowns, then you might'v ebeen bent over a bit too much and using your body to move the weight instead of just your triceps. I'd lower the weight a smidge and work on keeping your elbows by your ribs and ONLY moving your forearms throughout the movement.

Curls are not a move you'll do a lot of weight at. I've been at this for 2 years and I think the most I've curled for more than 3 reps was 50 xD Biceps are a tiny muscle.

As for the ab machine, I used to do cable crunches for that one (high cable with a rope attachment, got on my knees facing away from it and crunched down holding the ropes around my neck, basically). Pretty sure I could handle well over 60 for 15-20 reps from the get go, so you might've just gone a little too light there.

Hope that helps you over for the next workout :)

Yes thanks Krok!! But now I have questions :P

Shrugs - got it, the harder the better!

The cable machine I was doing exactly these: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/tricep-extension.html
    At the risk of looking bro-ish I was definitely checking out my form in the mirror and I was standing really straight and keeping my elbows locked, so I think my form was at least a B+. I definitely felt it in my triceps too! I just also felt it, not in my abs so maybe I named the wrong muscle, it was like my back but at the sides. I felt like I really had to lock my core muscles to keep still and do the full extension. So maybe too heavy still?

OK I feel better about the curls lol. Actually now I know why I see people curling a lower weight. I think I was surprised because I saw a girl there doing free weights who generally was using weights like mine but she curled the 65 bar so I expected to pick up something bigger.

I'm going to try cable crunches next time. The machine I used I seriously have no clue what I was doing. Glad I had done some hip thrusts to get some ab work.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Squats 5x5 170lbs - was easier than 165lbs, say wut?!
    OHP 5x5 70lbs - last set was fing brutal. Lots of swearing involved to push that last rep.
    Deadlift 5x5 165lbs - exhausting. The app is now having me do deadlift warmups, which is better on my form but I'm flipping gassed once I get to my work weight. Though, OHP has been rough too so that is probably adding to me being tired.

After all that, I foam rolled and it was possibly the first time foam rolling felt nice.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Squat 105 5x5
    OHP 55 5x5
    DL 125 2x5

Front squat 55 3x8
    Split squat 50 3x8 each
    KB swing 25 3x20
    Assisted dips -64 (66) 3x8
    Sumo DL 125 1x5
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'm baaaaaaack!!

Hi ya'll!!! I took about 10 days off to really let my shoulder heal, did some recovery and strengthening work, had a kick-*kitten* sports massage and today I'm back doing what I do best!!

Serious deload today:

Squat 5x5 @ 135lbs.
    Bench 5x5 @ 70lbs.
    Row 5x5 @ 80lbs.

Accessories superset of 5x5
    Hip thrusters @ 25kgs.
    Front squats @ 30kgs.
    Straight leg deads @ 25kgs.

Really talking time to feel each motion and to monitor my shoulder for any tenderness or pain. Happy to say am pain free!!! Yeah!!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    ^^^*taking time, not talking time haha stupid iPhone
  • krokador
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    The cable machine I was doing exactly these: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/tricep-extension.html
    At the risk of looking bro-ish I was definitely checking out my form in the mirror and I was standing really straight and keeping my elbows locked, so I think my form was at least a B+. I definitely felt it in my triceps too! I just also felt it, not in my abs so maybe I named the wrong muscle, it was like my back but at the sides. I felt like I really had to lock my core muscles to keep still and do the full extension. So maybe too heavy still?

OK I feel better about the curls lol. Actually now I know why I see people curling a lower weight. I think I was surprised because I saw a girl there doing free weights who generally was using weights like mine but she curled the 65 bar so I expected to pick up something bigger.

I'm going to try cable crunches next time. The machine I used I seriously have no clue what I was doing. Glad I had done some hip thrusts to get some ab work.

Sounds to me like you may have one side working harder than the other which caused the rest of your body to have to counter balance (the area you described has me thinking obliques, possibly. They're kinda your trunk rotation guys, so anti-rotation would also work them). Lowering the weight might be a good thing in that case. I'd also suggest to play around with different attachments and seeing which one works best for you. I can't do straight bar, my wrists get super unhappy. Pretty partial to the rope as it allows you to split open at the bottom, which is a more natural motion IMO. the V-shaped one isn't too bad either. But your experience may vary!

Now that you said that about the biceps curls I'm gonna have to try to curl the 65lbs bar tomorrow xD I may have a bit of a bro ego! lol

psych101 wrote: »
    I'm baaaaaaack!!

Hi ya'll!!! I took about 10 days off to really let my shoulder heal, did some recovery and strengthening work, had a kick-*kitten* sports massage and today I'm back doing what I do best!!

Serious deload today:

Squat 5x5 @ 135lbs.
    Bench 5x5 @ 70lbs.
    Row 5x5 @ 80lbs.

Accessories superset of 5x5
    Hip thrusters @ 25kgs.
    Front squats @ 30kgs.
    Straight leg deads @ 25kgs.

Really talking time to feel each motion and to monitor my shoulder for any tenderness or pain. Happy to say am pain free!!! Yeah!!

Welcome back to the dark side! We missed you! :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i went straight to the gym from work, not sure if i'd still have enough time to get a full workout in by the time i got there. idk why but it feels as if it was quite an epic. workout a.

squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@55, 2@5@65, 1x5@75, 5x5@85. not moving up yet, though i feel like a malingerer still hanging out here at 85. my excuse is i ate nothing but soup and a chocolate easter bunny all day, aside from the am shake. anyway 85 was hard enough, 90 would have been fail territory. disappointed to find it not feeling any easier though.

bench: sucktastic, although the numbers don't look too bad. 2x5@45, 1x5@55, 5x5@65. i didn't get to the bench until 25 mins before closing time so i was working in with a random stranger (my suggestion, to make sure that he got a chance to do bench). so ima blame my general dissatisfaction partly on that. i always hustle and get a little self-conscious when i'm working in. seriously thinking about not benching for a while and doing pushups or something instead. i'm really not liking the effect that they have on my left front deltoid in particular. however, i will say that i think my imbalance has lessened a bit.

rows: i'm a victim of math. bars were hard to come by tonight. thought i was lifting 55lbs, and i had myself all settled into being stoically not disappointed about that feeling hard too when it was the same weight i used the last time for rows. but after the third set i gave up the bar i'd been using to someone who needed it for landmines and switched to the 30lb bar, and that's when my mind did the math. by then i already had the littler one all loaded up with more wrong-math plates, so what i ended up doing for rows looked like this: 1x5@45, 3x5@65, 5x5@70. looks like i'm much stronger than i thought at rows, at least.

accessory: some sets of pulldowns for the shoulders and lats. too negligible to report the numbers, but i really am on a bit of a mission to strengthen and add some muscle in my upper back.