Workout check-in - April-tle bit more awesome

Options

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Back to it today.

Squats - 5x5 at 135. Still here for a bit. I find myself getting lazy and not always going all the way down. I don't want to move up until I know I nail it.

OHP - 5x5 at 52.5 - slight deload. I have been struggling with form a lot at 55. My back arches after the 3rd set. At 52.5, I can tell when it is starting to go bad and correct it. I am going to do 52.5 once more, then maybe just do 5x4 at 55 and see if it is better. I think my weak core is really hindering me on my upper body lifts, so I need to work on core strength.

Deadlift - 1x5 at 165. These felt good. :) I think I am going for 170 next.

Assisted pull ups - 3x4(ish) at 25 lbs assistance. First time trying this weight, and damn, was it hard! I did 4 decent ones the first time, then didn't really get all the way to the top the other two sets.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nice work everyone. Some great lifts going on *envies just a little* :wink:

I was a bit out of it today. Had a rough morning dealing with being a grown up and trying to handle student loan issues, then just went to bed for an hour before I had to go to work. Shift was short but not bad since we had enough people finally. Still communicating with one about a moving potential, so stressed about potential move still and will be until it happens. Doing okay on protein but need to buy more. At least gym went okay though not a fan of it all.

Stage 2 - B1

OHP 3x8 @ 55 - I had to wait for deadlift area so I used overhead press as a sort of warmup.

box(step) deadlift 2x10 @ 95 - not bad, still a tad awkward on the set up. Might add more next time.

bulgarian split squat 1x10 @ 17.5 cable bench, 1x10 lower step - one was too high, the other too low.
    underhand lat pulldown 2x10 @ 60 - easy enough so will do 70 next time.

reverse lunge front reach 2x10 @ 10 - easy but did the weights based on prone cuban so will need to vary next time
    db prone cuban snatch 2x10 @ 10 - the raise up is hard, and I'm not really a fan as it's very awkward sitting on the bench thing that way.

sb crunch 2x10 @ 10 - used a 10 plate just cause I'm bored of these already.
    reverse crunch 2x10 - not sure on my form and they were rather awkward but different at least.
    lateral flexion 2x10 - did the first on in the book and no idea what it does or if I'm moving my leg right... not a fan.

prone cobra 2x 60 seconds - tough but I managed to do 60 on each set.

Extra
    bench press 3x8 @ 75 - not bad but my right palm ached during the last reps.
    wrist curl 3x10 @ 15 - still working on the wrists, it's eh okay.
    bicep curl 3x8 @ 30 - gave them another try, still not sure.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream Fitness workout A. Fine, not bad, not great, just there. Did get to chat some with @DawnEmbers

Squats 5x5@95. These were still rather challenging, but I am going to try to move up next time. Surely some of the block to 100 is psychological.

Bench @60 5x5, w/5x12 leg lifts and 5x15 hip thrusts. This was also challenging. I am hesitant to move up but maybe I will try. I am always so hesitant with bench because I worry I could hurt myself.

Rows @70 5x5. I've abandoned Pendlay rows because I just prefer the convenience of bent over rows. I had good form on these and was really pleased.

Shrugs @70 3x8. These were obviously too easy, I will move up next time.

Tricep Extension @50 3x8. Last time I had some issues with feeling this in my obliques. I did go ahead and do 50 again because I wanted to focus on really feeling what this seems to do. I noticed that my form was better and I kept my arms more locked to the elbow when I DID look in the mirror. So I tried to form check a lot. I felt this in my triceps but I still also feel it in my core in the oblique area. I've decided that's ok, just makes it a compound move. It's not a bad feeling, just feels as if I am using stabilizing muscles.

Barbell Curls @30 3x8. These were challenging. I wouldn't be able to do 40, so I will stay here at least once more, if not more.

Hyperextensions w/plate 25. These seemed harder than last time. Perhaps I was doing them better :p

That was it, no cardio, just lifting!

On Sunday I did go for a run that I didn't report.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    UBB 2.0 Construct W3D3

1A) Snatch Balance x3 + OH Squat x3: 75, 80, 85, 85
    Weight was moving okay here, just need to stabilize the bar a little better

2A) Front Squat: 107.5x5, 120x3x3
    2B) Step Box jump: 24'x2 all rounds
    Still building confidence on the box jumps. It was my first time not putting on shinguards (they were getting in the way of the squats more than anything, anyway) this year. Going higher is really just a mental game at this point.

3A) Grinder: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 reps for time: 17:10
    - Sumo deadlit @ 155lbs
    - Push Press @ 75lbs
    - OH Squat @ 75lbs

Calculated that I moved 14,945lbs total during this grinder. I've had workouts of 1.5 hours where I've moved less weight! Had the sweat dripping off me when I was done. Definitely going to feel this tomorrow!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Whew! Finally back at the gym after a week off from lifting.
    Workout A today:
    Squats, 5x5@115 lbs. This was a repeat of last Wednesday's weight, felt ok considering the small break I took.
    Bench, 5x5@65 lbs. These were tough but got them done. I'll probably try for 70 lbs next time.
    Rows, 5x5@65 lbs. I deloaded a bit on these and they were still kind of tough. I will try to move up next time.
    RDLs, 3x10@65 lbs.
    Treadmill for 50 minutes.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Workout B this morning. First workout since injury where I didn't had pain while squatting. I actually enjoyed it, but I think I may have find the culprit for my double epicondilitis, 'cause my elbows were hurting a little after farmer's walks. Those would be done with lighter weights from now on.

Warmup: 15 minutes ATM

15 good mornings (body weight, with a broom stick).

Squats: 1x 15 @ body weights, 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 85, 5x5 @ 90.

OHP: 1x5 @ 35, 5x5 @ 40.

Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 85, 1x5 @ 95.

Farmer's walk: 5 x 5 with two 55 pounds kettlebell.

I skimped on stretch today and may regret it tomorrow. I'll try to stretch at home tonight.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    [...]but I think I may have find the culprit for my double epicondilitis, 'cause my elbows were hurting a little after farmer's walks. Those would be done with lighter weights from now on.

Sounds to me like you need to do some reverse hand stretching to compensate the gripping. Grab a rubber band from a stalk of broccoli and wrap it around your fingers, then work on stretching your fingers out (if that's too hard, regress to a lighter band, but I find broccoli works well). 3 sets of 15-20 per hand should be a good start? I had given a link to someone with elbow/forearm pain issues like a week or 2 ago with other exercises to help, but I can't remember what, where or who, lol.

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Last Night's Workout
    5 min warm up before

Workout: All 5x5
    Squat 60# - feeling much better being parallel, will probably move up after Thurs's workout
    Bench 60# - finally moved up on this from 55# and I felt bad *kitten*
    Row 60# - still not 100% comfortable with this, will need to revisit some videos for form

Afterwards:
    Push Ups (close and regular) 3x15
    Jumping Lunges 3x14

I felt pretty strong! I cannot wait to get into the gym this weekend (the full gym, not my complex's "gym") and work on the barbells....I just hope I can get into a routine there where I'm not having to wait for the equipment.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Today's lift:

Squat: 5x5 @ 145 - only 90-second rests so up to 150 next time!
    OHP: 5/5/4/4/3 @ 65. Second time failing at this weight! Ugh!
    Deadlift: 5x5 @ 175. Woot for my grip not failing me today! And double woot for another woman telling me that was impressive and that I'm strong! Yeehaw!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I didn't do anything today - it would have been cardio, though. I played some Tennis on Sunday and rolled my left ankle when shuffling across the court. It hurt some when I did it, but not bad enough to stop playing. I got up Monday to do my cardio as usual, ran some on the treadmill and that ankle was feeling a little pesky. Tuesday I did my SL routine as usual and I was ok (but during the 5 minute warm up it was a little pesky again). So today I decided I would do no cardio and pick it up again Friday if all is well. It's not a terrible injury, but I think skipping a day of cardio is better than aggravating it. Maybe a nice leisurely walk this evening will do. It feels completely normal this morning, so we will see.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the ankle @Deena_Bean hope it feels better soon!

Yoga last night. An hour of power yoga and I was sweating more than during a SLs workout - wtf?!?
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Squat 5x5 @ 65 (still feels & looks ok per my teenage son)
    OP 5x5 @ 35 (didn't feel great but did them all)
    7x1 @ 65 (was supposed to increase to 75 but ran out of weights
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio day for me. Last day (number 5) doing week 4 of C25K. Not bad though get slight aches in my right side during the first couple jogging sections. Just makes me focus a bit more on my breathing but it is getting easier. The last 5 minute jog I'm breathing much better than I was on day 1 of the week. Next time is day 1 of week 5.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    [...]but I think I may have find the culprit for my double epicondilitis, 'cause my elbows were hurting a little after farmer's walks. Those would be done with lighter weights from now on.

Sounds to me like you need to do some reverse hand stretching to compensate the gripping. Grab a rubber band from a stalk of broccoli and wrap it around your fingers, then work on stretching your fingers out (if that's too hard, regress to a lighter band, but I find broccoli works well). 3 sets of 15-20 per hand should be a good start? I had given a link to someone with elbow/forearm pain issues like a week or 2 ago with other exercises to help, but I can't remember what, where or who, lol.

Thanks, I'll try this! I always have broccoli on hand anyway. ;)
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Lovetowrite that's awesome!! All of you ladies are STRONG!
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tonight's lift.

First off, squat warm ups are now 5 sets - 45, 45, 95, 135 and 165. UGG! A long session indeed!

Squats 5x5 185lbs - PR!! Rough and do-able. I'm at the point now where I'm exciting I'm lifting lots, but also slightly hoping to fail so the weight won't go up anymore. Well, it's going up again.
    Bench Press 5/5/2/3/5 100lbs! A PR? First time at 100lbs, yay 3 digits! Boo, couldn't get all the reps. Next time!
    Rows 5/5/5/4/5 85lbs - damn rows. Pretty sure I was gassed out here.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Bench 3 day.
    65 x 3, 75 x 3, 85 x 3
    65 lbs 3x8 emotm

Then amrap 4 min x 3
    Bentover rows 65lbs
    Db snatch 15 lbs
    Inverted rows
    Hanging knee raises
    Reps 3/6/9
    Got 3, not quite 3 (took 4:11 to get 3) and 3

It wasn't too bad. I am however extremely hungry already. I found that eating right after usually helps and I've dropped my goal to only lose 0.5 lbs a week but it seems today might be one of those days where all my tactics just don't cut it.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I am all kinds of tired and grumpy on this stormy Thursday morning. I was grumpy when my alarm sounded because I went to bed too late. I contemplated staying in bed and doing my lifts tonight instead. Somehow, though, I managed to roll my *kitten* out of bed and carry down to the basement. I did my lifts, grumpily, and went up on the OHP and deads - both of which were SO hard today. I did it, though, I'm glad I did - grumpy or not.
    5 min cardio warmup
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x120
    OHP: 5x5x80 (omg almost impossible, 5lbs makes a ridiculous difference)
    Deadlift: 1x5x160 (also almost impossible, but more because I can't hang on to the bar - I'm sure my body can handle the load, but my hands are all "hellz no, fool"...sigh)

So there's that. I did play a bit of mild Tennis again last night and my ankle seems to be a-ok. :)
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Why is a r s e a bad word? Hm. I thought I was self-censoring there, but evidently not the case.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I am all kinds of tired and grumpy on this stormy Thursday morning.
    Kind of like this? Lol!
    3cuqn57s5uj2.jpg

Somehow, though, I managed to roll my *kitten* out of bed and carry down to the basement.
    What kind setup do you have? Squat rack, power rack, half rack...? I'm trying to decide which to pitch to my husband. I'm kind of partial to a half-rack at Dicks... I'd appreciate your input!
    Glad your ankle is better!