Random Thoughts - Misc. Chat Thread for April / May 2015

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    @Canadian if you can find a way to enjoy it. Do it! Makes it easier to get through. I am struggling with some foolish-ness at work.
    My boss tries to be transparent on what is going on above us in the company but it is a lot of "well I didn't pick up on all of it" and "I think I understood this to mean this" and it causes a lot of unrequired stress because we don't really know what is going on and if we align with it because my boss doesn't know enough to effectively communicate up or down. I am quite concerned on what he is saying about what we do and what we require. My guess he is miss-translating a lot of things.

Be careful - incompetent bosses reflect poorly on the people under them.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    These past few posts make me kinda happy we're such a small group where I work. We're also all crunched up in the same "office" and it makes communication very, erm, easy (maybe a little too much). But it's nice when my direct boss starts talking about hockey xD

So I just learned yesterday that the obstacle race I had scheduled on the 23rd of May has been reported to the 30th. I was like "well, okay, more time for my shin to heal!" but I just realized like an hour ago it means I have 2 races in 2 weeks (other one is on the 6th of June). I was supposed to have a deload the week AFTER said race so I could recover yet still do my testing week in my workotu scheduling before the other one. Now I don't know what to do (and I expect to be sore for 2 weeks in a row. Ow) I was also hoping to take a trip to see my wife on the 15th (if we can make it work, anyway)... That will just wreck my programming even further D:
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been at an industry Tea conference/expo the last 3 days. I blog about tea, so I was doing press work there.

Anyways, I was at the tea expo last year so people I met last year recognized me. There was a few comments of "oh, the tea must be working for you, you look trim." Nope, just lifting weights. If anyone questioned this, it was like "I can squat you on my back with you also holding a 45lb plate".

bleh, hate the tea makes you lose weight belief. I would be a flipping super model if it did.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    If anyone questioned this, it was like "I can squat you on my back with you also holding a 45lb plate".

hah. every time my head plays me an imaginary soundbite of someone getting sniffy about women lifting and how it makes them bulky, my brain makes this imaginary comeback that goes 'i could bench press you.'

trouble is, of course i can't. and then i imagine myself saying it to one of those snippy undermining types of woman and immediately making it worse by eyeballing her up and down to guess at her weight and adding 'well, no . . . probably not.'
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    If anyone questioned this, it was like "I can squat you on my back with you also holding a 45lb plate".

hah. every time my head plays me an imaginary soundbite of someone getting sniffy about women lifting and how it makes them bulky, my brain makes this imaginary comeback that goes 'i could bench press you.'

trouble is, of course i can't. and then i imagine myself saying it to one of those snippy undermining types of woman and immediately making it worse by eyeballing her up and down to guess at her weight and adding 'well, no . . . probably not.'

Omg yes. I want to do this to one person at work in particular. Maybe when I'm ready to get packaged out at work...
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My post is truly random. Had to go to IKEA today to get a few things: pillow cases for tempurpedic pillows, glass bottle with stopper for my homemade kombucha and I was hoping to pick up some pendant lights for our kitchen to replace 2 with broken shades. Of course, the lights were out of stock. Serious fatigue set in from wandering those blasted meandering paths through the store with those ridiculous carts that want to go sideways. We had lunch on the second floor, then I shopped on the first floor, kid wanted to play in the children's section, back to second floor. Finally get the stuff to my car and while I'm loading a poster sized picture frame into my car I notice it's broken. While I am seeing this someone is waiting for my parking spot and when I don't move fast enough for them they peel out of there like they are drag racing. Whatever. I have to go back into the store to return and replace the picture frame because I want it, dammit! When I get back to my car someone has left a note on my car berating me for leaving my dog in the car while I shop, telling me they would have smashed my windows had it been a hotter day. You would think if they got close enough to my car to leave a note on my windshield they might have noticed that I did not have a dog in my car. Perhaps this person was experiencing IKEA induced hallucinations, I dunno :o
  • canadianlbs
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    You would think if they got close enough to my car to leave a note on my windshield they might have noticed that I did not have a dog in my car.

i'm literally laughing out loud, but how peculiar. could it have been a dust bunny they spied? not to cast any aspersions on you, but there could well be life forms in the back seat of mine.

random me too. physio checked out my knee. not that i felt like there was much need for it, but i guess i 'have' a physiotherapist now in the same maintenance sense that people 'have' dentists and people who clean out their gutters for them. he confirmed that i didn't sprain or strain anything, which didn't surprise me since i was the person who crashed and i know exactly the angle the bike went down at. but it was still nice to know.

while i'm at it i'm going to get on a slightly strange soapbox and sing the praises of bike crashes that happen so fast you don't even know they've happened. you can get a hell of an impact from them, but at least you don't do the kinds of real damage you get when you know it's coming and your body does something to try 'save' itself.
  • canadianlbs
    edited May 2015
    Options
    my latest squat-tutorial video. i like how this guy talks things through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibH_B0ZGvrU
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My post is truly random. Had to go to IKEA today to get a few things: pillow cases for tempurpedic pillows, glass bottle with stopper for my homemade kombucha and I was hoping to pick up some pendant lights for our kitchen to replace 2 with broken shades. Of course, the lights were out of stock. Serious fatigue set in from wandering those blasted meandering paths through the store with those ridiculous carts that want to go sideways. We had lunch on the second floor, then I shopped on the first floor, kid wanted to play in the children's section, back to second floor. Finally get the stuff to my car and while I'm loading a poster sized picture frame into my car I notice it's broken. While I am seeing this someone is waiting for my parking spot and when I don't move fast enough for them they peel out of there like they are drag racing. Whatever. I have to go back into the store to return and replace the picture frame because I want it, dammit! When I get back to my car someone has left a note on my car berating me for leaving my dog in the car while I shop, telling me they would have smashed my windows had it been a hotter day. You would think if they got close enough to my car to leave a note on my windshield they might have noticed that I did not have a dog in my car. Perhaps this person was experiencing IKEA induced hallucinations, I dunno :o

How funny would it be if they actually had smashed your windows only to find a car devoid of any animals? What an idiot. I find that other people at IKEA are sickos.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    while i'm at it i'm going to get on a slightly strange soapbox and sing the praises of bike crashes that happen so fast you don't even know they've happened. you can get a hell of an impact from them, but at least you don't do the kinds of real damage you get when you know it's coming and your body does something to try 'save' itself.

I've fallen head first (without a helmet) from crashing my bike and am pretty sure I tumbled 2-3 times over in the process (as per the wounds I had on me because I think I actually passed out after the first hit). Couldn't do a thing to stop it. But however quick it happens, when your head is at stake, things become excruciatingly slow and you have time to see your life flashing in front of your eyes and tell yourself "this is it, I'm gonna die" about a dozen times over before the impact. #truestory

Long story short: wear a helmet, gais! (or in my case, a suit of armor *nods*)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Results from my trail race were published today. 86th out of 194. Fastest time was 26:05 and I did it in 40:27. Last year on a similar distance trail I was 141st out of 206.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    (or in my case, a suit of armor *nods*)

gaw, how scary. and yes, helmet. it's not like i've got brain cells to spare.

• MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    @Llamapants86 Well done! 40 spots up!!!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    ^^that!! Awesome!!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    oy.

i had a day just loaded iwth captain scudge. by the end of it - i looked into his office and he wasn't there, so i was sort of debriefing with the banana woman just how detrimental his bulldozing is. halfway through - well, no, not halfway through - i realised he'd come into the office again and was back at his desk. which would have put him about ten feet and two wide-open doors from my voice.

i don't think i was saying anything wildly offensive or personal, i don't think. i don't think. but i was saying that imo more things go his way than is good for the place purely because he bludgeons you into this state where you really need him to just leave you alone. which is true, and at least i wasn't going on about his weird personal appearance or terrible draggy penetratingly monotone voice. so there's that mercy at least.

but tomorrow might be a hell of a thing.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oh the horrors of a momentary indiscretion. Since he never seems to listen to you maybe he followed suit yesterday. Maybe if he did hear you he really needed to...
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    well, ugh. the captain scudge story is no longer especially funny . . . at least not right now.

afaik i had nothing to do with it. but i don't think his overhear experience the night before can have helped all that much and there could still be anvils waiting to fall on me once the long weekend is over.

we had a collaborative conversation about something potentially explosive in the first part of the day, so there was that. but then we had The Meeting with the whole gang of us, in which he presented to us his lovingly hand-crafted description of Process in Principle. and we got 98% agreement on that, which was great. and then the wheels just fell off.

98% agreement was reached, and then scudge says 'great. so now i'll go away and spend another two or three or four or five days crafting Prototypes of the two different ways in which we can put this into actual practice, and i'll present that and then we'll decide.' back on his damned obsessive hobby-horse thing that he just won't let go. but this time the little size-zero project manager melted, right on the spot, and said no. this process describes what we've already been doing for at least two weeks, it works, and i'm not authorizing any more time to be spent on all this.

so then it was back to the high holy loud wars once again about what's pragmatic versus what's perfection. about good-enough versus i'm-not-sure-what. it got so loud and so contentious (i had nothing to do with this part of it) that the banana woman came and peered through the blinds to see if she needed to come in and break up a fight. and then the project manager FINALLY spelled out a couple of cold hard facts about the time already wasted on all of this, and scudge leaped up and stormed out.

he didn't come back for the rest of the day and he didn't come in at all today. i didn't think much of it personally, but then i don't know scudge's patterns this way. but the business analyst who does know him because she's been working with him for six years said she actually has no idea what this behaviour means. for all we know he might never come back.

and i have my tri-weekly encounter with medusa first thing on the first day next week. about How Testin'g Going, and have i been able to think about it? bleh. just bloody BLEH.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's amazing how *lil* progress/results can give someone renewed confidence! It doesn't take much, but after 5 straight months, it's enough for that 'cry-yes-fist pump' moment!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    lol. that was great. i loved the good humour and the inclusion of it.