Random Thoughts - Misc. Chat Thread for April / May 2015

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Ah DQ. Reminds me I need to go visit old coworker who switched stores cause yeah...

On a lifting note: I miss squats and deadlifts. In the middle stages of NROLFW we do different versions like romanian deadlift and some squat like things (partial one leg squat but that's not what I'd consider a squat). I miss just going to the cage and doing some heavy squats with the bar. The program is interesting but I can't wait to switch to strength focused again when it's done.

That was my issue with new rules too. You start out with real squats and deads then drop the for variations. I feel like they should be a part of the whole program as a base since they are difficult to master.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    And HOLD UP -- she only has one eye?!

that's all i know. she dropped it into a conversation once with that 'wait till a casual moment comes up and then just say it - casually, you know' kind of casualness, and me and the b.a. did a tiny blip and moved right along. i'm actually glad she did. it explained a few tiny little oddities about her interactions that i had thought were signs of slight snottiness or similar. idek which eye it is.

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    DQ sounds like she needs attention. The person she doesn't like is lucky. Since you are unlucky in this situation, I suggest not getting sucked into her stories and treat them as entertainment when you cannot avoid her. You could play bingo in your head while she tells stories (personal details about her insides, personal details about her loved ones' insides, improper use of the court system, blatant hypocrisy, spamming coworkers, etc.).

OMG. Bingo. Yes.
    Most of the time I can avoid the nonsense because I'm located in a pretty fantastic place with two walls between us. my colleague whose office shares my back wall - not so lucky - she's right across the hall and gets daily 3pm visits. Lucky girl.

• symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say hi to all you ladies...I am still around, just not doing 5x5 :-(
    I know what you mean @DawnEmbers - I have been out of lifting with a barbell for almost 3 months now and I HATE it!!
    I pick up light things when I can, but its just not the same.
    I have been doing lots of walking (BORING) but it does help keep my back nice and happy. And I have been trying classes again. Monday was GRIT Cardio - holy burpees. I had to just do bodyweight squats while they did those, my back was not happy about them. Barre3 class has been fun too, but really spendy, so I wont be signing up again after I use my last session. Kinda feels like I went backwards. I started all this losing weight/getting healthy stuff by walking, jogging, classes, zumba, etc. Then I found 5x5 last year, fell in love, hurt my back and now I am back to where I started.

OK...End of my sob story!!!

On a positive note...I am going away for business again and this time to San Diego for a week. Extra bonus is I was born there and my 33+ year BFF is still there so we will get to see each other at least 1 of the nights after training. This will be the first time since 2011 we have seen each other without my kids (she is still single, no children) so I am excited to have a FULL conversation face to face :-)
    I leave in 2 weeks...the countdown is on!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Good to hear from you @symba1130 I'm sorry your back is healing slowly. 5x5 isn't going anywhere so take your time and you'll be lifting again soon.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    I am excited to have a FULL conversation face to face :-)!

i remember you saying how much you miss people you can have real grownup conversations with, so that's great.

do you have a progress report on your back/feel like sharing it? i'm glad you checked in because i was just wondering how you were this evening.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    i've done something extremely . . . odd to some ribs. i'm not even sure which ribs they are, never mind what it is that i might have done. i can't call it painful either. but it's a very peculiar very definite feeling of sudden localized weakness in a specific place, when i put myself into very specific positions or move through very specific and very small motion paths.

probably slept wrong or possibly pulled an intercostal muscle or something like that. but it feels weird and unstable and i don't like it at all. and i'm not going to do anything muscles-related today.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    meetings today, about two different people's 'vision' for two different things. in other words, two more endless 'i think you should . . .' symposia that will go on all day long.

and then defect triage. IF we can decide on a 'process' for processing defects. oy to the world. i'm just finding it hysterically funny by now. how can a place spend five full-paid months designing and then discussing something that isn't even in need of design, and have nothing? it's like 'designing' the right way to wash the dishes.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Sounds like you guys are in analysis paralysis.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you guys are in analysis paralysis.

That is what it sounds like to me too. Although the other possibility is laziness on the strange dude's part. Maybe giving the ring around on how to track issues is just easier for him to do than to actually fix things (I have met a few people like that and it just drives me bonkers).

• canadianlbs
    Options
    That is what it sounds like to me too. Although the other possibility is laziness on the strange dude's part.

i've met people like that too, and that's what makes him so special and worthy of being stuffed and kept in a in his very own glass case all by himself in my 15-year-old Hall of Software Lunatics Fame. he isn't lazy. not by any definition or interpretation of the idea. i'm about 900 times lazier than him on even a middling day. he's just . . . well, i bet people ask him if he's ever thought of himself as autistic.

i don't think he is though. as this psych once said to me about my own kid 'too much affect.' he's just manically, maniacally methodical. he's the type who honestly thinks it's not worth doing something unless it's perfect. and he has no concept of 'we'll flex and adapt as we go.' so he wants every littlest tiniest thing planned for, before anyone sets out to build. i think he'd be less peculiar and less of a pain if he'd had to operate in a normal world instead of spending the last six years in this one little tank that he's been able to shape so strongly to his own specifications, but as it is he's warped to the shape of his tank by this point.

in this case he might just have to adjust himself. like i said, he's suddenly surrounded by all these uppity women who only give him so much air time, and then they go ahead and do things even if he still thinks we need to spend another nine or ten weeks with our heads up our collective *kitten* . . . uh, i mean Thinking It Through.

** meetings 1 and 2 didn't happen, btw. instead we got 'options for [project]' from the nervous-nelly little new guy who can't drink coffee unless it's made with glacier water shipped in from poland or something like that. the 'bug management structure' thing and the actual 'bug triage' things will take place tomorrow. and the next day, and also the day after that.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    another nine or ten weeks with our heads up our collective *kitten* . . . uh, i mean Thinking It Through.

Hahahaha. Love this. xo

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Did anyone read this article - http://www.niashanks.com/damage-control-when-you-over-indulge/
    Would really be interested in your thoughts...why do we beat ourselves up, not seperate the two and enjoy our lives, guilt free?
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    @giusa this is a really interesting article. Checking out other articles too and really like them. Thank you for sharing!
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    I liked that article. It rang very true to me, now if only I could actually implement it.

I have started trying to think about my workout after binging as more of a "well I got all this fuel, might as well use it to lift heavy *kitten* and be awesome" instead of punishment. It helps but I know my binging can spiral really quickly due to other factors.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    hah. ms business-analyst-two turned on me during the bug-tracking meeting by going back on what i thought we had perfectly clear, and presenting a 'solution' with exactly the one thing in it that i thought we'd agreed was not going to be discussed or disputed about anymore.

ms. project manager with the pyramid of beautiful hair and the Clothes was the funny story though. she loves a fight where she can sit back until it's clear which side has their back to the wall, and then set about soothingly undermining whatever that person is trying to say. i think she calls this Problem Resolution or Mediation, in the convoluted corridors of her own ratlike little skull. the great thing though was that scudge cannot focus on one thing for long. so this entire sudden rear-guard battle of me trying to keep them from filling my life with pointless bug-record 'tasks' suddenly blossomed out into a full-scale attack on project manager lady's unprotected left flank about something else that's been rankling him since i-don't-know-when. what exactly do you DO around here, he asked her. what is your role? what is your purpose in life? sOMEONE has to manage and assign all these tasks if we're going to create them, and keep track of whether they've been completed or not. so shouldn't YOU be the person who gets (heh) tasked with that? aren't you the project manager? well, then, don't you think you should Manage us all?

man, did she change directions with that. suddenly she's in danger of being the person who has to do the work she's so cheerfully ready to impose on other people, and it appears that she didn't like that. i was sitting next to her and by then i had my own head down on the table, so i couldn't look. but i could tell just from her voice that that beautiful haircut of hers was quivering and jumping every time that she spoke. when she gets really really wound up, her head bobbles. i almost wish i hadn't noticed it, because i'm afraid one of these days i'll get the crazy giggles right when she's at her most head-quivery.

man, this place. it's the kind of dysfunctional you start to enjoy for its own sake after a while. even though you know how unhealthy that is.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @canadianlbs I think you work at Initech from Office Space. Specifically the scene:

One of the Bobs: What is it you DO here?
    Tom: I'm a people person dammit! I have people skills. I am good at dealing with people. What's the matter with you people?!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for that article. She said exactly what I want to say every time I see someone post about doing an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill to work off the pizza, or when they talk about cheat days or how bad a food is.

I used to beat myself up ALL THE TIME about food. And you know what? It was only when I finally stopped feeling guilty about what I was eating that I finally started losing weight. Shocker! :)

I'm going to post this to my feed -- thanks again!
  • Llamapants86
    Options
    @Canadian if you can find a way to enjoy it. Do it! Makes it easier to get through. I am struggling with some foolish-ness at work.
    My boss tries to be transparent on what is going on above us in the company but it is a lot of "well I didn't pick up on all of it" and "I think I understood this to mean this" and it causes a lot of unrequired stress because we don't really know what is going on and if we align with it because my boss doesn't know enough to effectively communicate up or down. I am quite concerned on what he is saying about what we do and what we require. My guess he is miss-translating a lot of things.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I put this on my wall, but thought I'd share it here too because it made me giggle:

I received a call from our legal department this morning to discuss a requested amendment for a university. As expected, legal said we won't sign it. He also suspected that the university re-visited the terms of their already-in-place agreement and decided they didn't like the terms anymore...so they may be trying to sneak in the amendment for that reason. I didn't get that impression at all through my conversations with them. He said, 'I'll leave it to your discretion how you reply, a simple no is fine with me." I said, "It's likely I'll find a nice way to say no and maybe provide a little explanation in case it was just a case of confusion. It's not in my nature to believe that people are up to no good for no reason." He said, 'Well of course it's not....then you'd be a lawyer." Hahahahaha - funny guy!