Random Thoughts - Misc. Chat Thread for April / May 2015

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    We didn't get any snow this winter, as the area rarely gets snow, but I have to agree that April has been too cold. My heat keeps turning on and I don't even have it set very high, just around 60. I spend part of my time at home with my heating pads to help with the cold. I hope May is warmer.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    still getting intermittent cold snaps out here too. not freezing, but honestly closer than it ought to be for this time of year. still cold enough to need a real sweater and genuine gloves just to do the bike ride. and yeah; the mountains at least have had snow. it gets so you can just feel when you go outside whether you'll see snow or not if you lift up your eyes to the hills.

i didn't want to start yet another spam thread so i'm just throwing this here because really i'm not looking for any specific advice. i just want to take my own turn to rant.

i'm at my wits' end with deadlifts and only stubbornness is stopping me from saying i've had it with them. it's like when you fall out of love with someone but you still love them and the relationship's not on the rocks but it has no direction either yet you're committed to it. this makes me sad actually, because i used to like them so much.

but for months now i've had these little tweaks and twinges that probably all stem from that damned shoulder thing. they're not directly caused by deadlift and they shouldn't technically have impeded it - but they do. i use biofeedback and that kinaesthetic awareness feeling so much to get a feel for my form, and now i just can't. deadlifts used to be like being locked into a slot. i knew every fibre of how being tight and doing a good deadlift felt. you do this, it feels like this, and i swear my reps were like they were running on rails. now my whole sensory-feedback stream is full of . . . well, feedback. and i don't know which direction is up anymore. it bigtime mcsucks.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It's been cooler than usual everywhere. I had to put the heat on yesterday because I was shivering in my living room. I can't believe I have a picture of my house covered in snow from a month ago and that I was at the beach last Saturday and now putting the heat on again. Hoping summer won't be balls hot but it probably will.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Yeah, by middle/end of summer I'll probably be going "blah, it's too hot!" though I do have a fan now. In the past I had nothing, so that's an improvement. Not sure how the new apartment will be either but will find out. Those months at least work is well air-conditioned, office/break room too much so sometimes and worse case, I can do the "I'm going to go work on stuff in the cooler and freezer."
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    you know what would be great? like, seriously great. i believe this is a business idea.

a laundromat with a weight room attached to it.

or a weight room with laundry facilities, if you prefer. since i started lifting i have not yet put in a laundromat session without thinking about how now would be a born-natural time to go get a nice workout in.

not to mention. by the time i do laundry, i'm always already down to the kind of clothes that would be perfectly suitable for working out.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    hahaha @canadianlbs That's an awesome idea!
    In my city we have a cafe with laundromats. So you have like this really cozy place to have your coffee and read a book, while doing you laundry and you can iron them there too!
    And keep holding on with those deadlifts. I have the same with squats. Two years ago they were my favourites. And now it feels like I have no clue how to do them properly!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @canadian that's a grand idea. I know that my step brother uses my mom and stepdads laundry machines and works out in their home gym while he waits.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Good idea @canadianlbs. I'll have that set up once I finally break down and get a home gym in my garage.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Good idea @canadianlbs. I'll have that set up once I finally break down and get a home gym in my garage.

i'll come right over with my sack of sweaty objects. on the other note, i watched an omar isuf clip last night about 'snap city' that made me think that perserverance and stubbornness might not be the best way to deal with my deadlift issues.

#deloadagainSIGH.

• MissHolidayGolightly
    edited April 2015
    Options

i'll come right over with my sack of sweaty objects. on the other note, i watched an omar isuf clip last night about 'snap city' that made me think that perserverance and stubbornness might not be the best way to deal with my deadlift issues.

#deloadagainSIGH.

You're welcome any time. Travel might be a bit cost prohibitive though. Maybe my gym and laundry service could also be a bed & breakfast :wink:

I don't what specifically your issue is with deadlifting but I found this video helpful as it breaks down the whole movement:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFnwEsqJABU
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i've seen that one and liked it. i'm kind of an elliott fan, off and on. i also like the one where he does 'corrective deadlift' work with omar isuf. it's more that i know the form points (i think) . . . i just can't get them to happen. or more importantly i can't tell when they're happening just by the feel. i'm guessing too much. i think i may really need to cool it until all these angry muscles have settled down, because the sensation from them when i engage them is just making it impossible for me to isolate the feel that i'm looking for.

on the one hand i'm getting 'yup, activated' signals from muscles that probably aren't nearly as engaged as i think. and on the other hand, if/when i assume they're talking *kitten* and ignore them, then to be honest it's just a guess. 'is this 'tight'? is this? how about this?' i can also over-tighten the heck out of stuff if i take a mind to.

so, basically, i'm coming closer to accepting that for the moment i just don't know which way is up and that's the main issue ought to be focusing on.
  • canadianlbs
    edited April 2015
    Options
    scudge update. well, the banana girl has crossed the rubicon by announcing to scudge that she's not going to use his cherished 'tool' to document requirements for her project. i'm glad that i knew already as i listened in that she's a personal friend of the madwoman's boss and therefore by inheritance a friend of the madwoman too. otherwise i might be kind of upset. she can tell scudge the same kinds of things i was trying to tell him - basically, that they can do anything that they like, but [this] and [this] is the way that it's done in the real software world. i got myself talked to like the scullery maid when the madwoman heard scudge's version of what i'd been trying to convey when i tried to say the same thing. but i doubt that will happen to her.

she refused to go into details too. which she can do because she isn't part of his 'team' and has no need to explain her decisions to him. so he kind of pressed every button in her panel that he knows about and gave up when she didn't let any one of them work. sucked all the oxygen out of the room in one giant backdraft when he left, but he did leave.

we heard him in the next room over for the last couple of hours of the day, bending the ear of the poor business analyst woman instead. pooooooor scudge, i said to my banana-eating friend. surrounded by all these recalcitrant women refusing to do what he says. she snorted so hard she almost blew out the windows.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :smile: Poooor scudge.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Feeling extremely tired last two weeks. Working out 4 times a week, preparing for my moving day to a new house this friday, job hunting (losing my job at the end of May), doing a household on my own.. I always feel like I'm a big crybaby when I say I'm tired. Everyone else seems to be coping with extremely full days just fine..
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I can't even begin to describe the insurmountable level of BS I have to hear from my overly dramatic, over-embellishing co-worker. We'll call her....DQ (short of course for drama queen).

Background stories (get ready for this):
    1. DQ: I hate Oprah. She's rude and a bad person. When I was a child I encountered her in an airport and told her her dress was ugly. She was rude to me as a child...who's rude to a child? Then, a few years ago I was in Chicago watching a walk-a-thon and there she was walking in it. There were cameras all around and a little boy had stepped into her path and she just pushed him down and kept walking! (((work crowd reaction: blank stares of confusion)).
    2. DQ: My husband worked for a company for a short time loading boxes onto a truck. One day an illegal alien got into an argument with him and threw a box at his head. He deflected the box and it was so heavy that it tore some muscles from his neck/shoulder. He could no longer work. They denied him workman's comp. He sued. The owner of this company is no less than the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks. Of course. Because I can totally see the owner of the hawks NOT settling if guilty. (((work crowd reaction: blank stares of confusion)))
    3. DQ feels the need to disclose her personal problems on a continuous basis - regardless of TMI. She's been out of the office having a partial hysterectomy for 3 weeks - she came back yesterday. I've managed to escape the stories until alas, she found me. Came into my office, shut my door and spent an hour detailing her incisions, her fused bowel, her fairly "ok" ovaries that were left behind for the benefit of hormones. Then I heard about her dogs tumors that she recently discovered, her sister apparently found a lump...and she's suing every apartment complex she's ever lived in for various reasons (like they won't allow her to say her dogs are service animals, there was mold in one that they wouldn't have fixed, they are rude to them for no reason, her neighbors are nosy a-holes))
    4. DQ tells these things to almost everyone in the office behind closed doors, but intentionally keeps them from one person because she doesn't like her. Then, when the bosses try to send her flowers she freaks out about privacy and how she doesn't want anyone knowing the details of her life. Because we're all just people she works with. She "Has no desire to spend time with any of us outside of work."

I could go on and on, but really, it's just a miracle I haven't shut and locked my door in an effort to evade. She *could* be nice enough, but OMG I can't even deal with the blatant lies. Like the time she said she sent out 1000 e-mails for another person in the office. These are not just "click send" e-mails so that's totally impossible. Especially since she's the secretary. She has to answer phones and whatnot. I can't even send 1000 e-mail in an entire 8 hour shift without. Why must people tell lies of this nature?? I was the secretary for this office for a period of time and I've done everything she does...I know what it entails. She's a nutter, people, seriously...I can't even keep up.

I just nod and smile and say, "Oh really? Wow. That's too bad." or "Well, surely things will start looking up soon." :#
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    DQ sounds like she needs attention. The person she doesn't like is lucky. Since you are unlucky in this situation, I suggest not getting sucked into her stories and treat them as entertainment when you cannot avoid her. You could play bingo in your head while she tells stories (personal details about her insides, personal details about her loved ones' insides, improper use of the court system, blatant hypocrisy, spamming coworkers, etc.).
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @canadianlbs whenever you mention the banana girl, I think of that nutcase Freelee The Banana Girl. Please Google!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Ah DQ. Reminds me I need to go visit old coworker who switched stores cause yeah...

On a lifting note: I miss squats and deadlifts. In the middle stages of NROLFW we do different versions like romanian deadlift and some squat like things (partial one leg squat but that's not what I'd consider a squat). I miss just going to the cage and doing some heavy squats with the bar. The program is interesting but I can't wait to switch to strength focused again when it's done.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Freelee The Banana Girl. Please Google!

i tried, but i . . . just . . . i couldn't even. i mean, what?

nah. my banana girl is more . . . well, she's been here for months and there's a definite solidarity vibe starting to grow up with us. but still i can't see her without hearing peter s. beagle read his own words in my head. 'and anyway, it serves her right for being an unpleasant girl with a head like a coconut.'

just to be clear. banana girl might have a lot of machismo and only one eye, but unto those who are godly (me *smirk*) she is NOT unpleasant in even the tiniest way. it just happens to be the absolute truth that she has a very small, very round head, cuts her hair really short all over it like a little boy would, and said hair is definitely both brown and a little rough in texture. okay?

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    'and anyway, it serves her right for being an unpleasant girl with a head like a coconut.'

just to be clear. banana girl might have a lot of machismo and only one eye, but unto those who are godly (me *smirk*) she is NOT unpleasant in even the tiniest way. it just happens to be the absolute truth that she has a very small, very round head, cuts her hair really short all over it like a little boy would, and said hair is definitely both brown and a little rough in texture. okay?

Oh, what I wouldn't do to be your neighbor and hear these stories over a beer on the porch every night. :)

And HOLD UP -- she only has one eye?!