Random Thoughts - Misc. Chat Thread for April / May 2015

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    @missholidaygolightly . . . saw a comment in a forum this weekend that 'intjs are the type most likely to be a wizard.' un/fortunately, my brain re-cast the last word as 'lizard'. i laughed for ten minutes and now i SO want that shirt.

"type most likely to be lizard"
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Today is my very last day at my current job. Planning on staying home for at least a month. I've been working +50hrs/week for the last two years and I feel completely drained. Just moved house, so I'm looking forward to spending some time at home and do little things like painting and stuff like that. Also want to do sports everyday. Now I have time to get back to yoga and running. Meeting up with my family and friends, whom I barely see.

And then off for new challenges :)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    That video just cracked me up. So. Great. @MalineVD congrats on taking time for yourself and family!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    So... I have to be out of apartment by 31st. Renting truck to move things on the 29th. Mom is going to be here on the 26th. It is now the 20th. I have packed one box, one bin and a suitcase. I haven't cancelled internet or done anything else.

I do believe it's time to panic, just a little.

:cold_sweat:
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @Dawn -- That's pretty much how I pack too. Moving is THE WORST. But you'll get it all done! Try not to panic too much. Also, cold beer goes really well with moving. Just saying --

So, I had a meeting with a trainer today, and am sad to say it was a bit of a bust. I was under the impression we'd be doing a preliminary session, but instead we just rehashed the conversation we had on the phone yesterday and he gave me a pass to come back next week. I felt like I was crystal clear about what I was looking for -- form form form!, and maybe a few accessory suggestions -- but he ran away with that and was talking about replacing the lifts I do with other things, having me do HIIT, working on nutrition, etc. etc. etc. All of these things are fine, but just not what *I* wanted. So, I felt like he really didn't listen to what I wanted, and in my mind, that doesn't bode well for a working relationship. I'm disappointed. And so, the hunt will continue.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »
    Today is my very last day at my current job. Planning on staying home for at least a month. I've been working +50hrs/week for the last two years and I feel completely drained. Just moved house, so I'm looking forward to spending some time at home and do little things like painting and stuff like that. Also want to do sports everyday. Now I have time to get back to yoga and running. Meeting up with my family and friends, whom I barely see.

And then off for new challenges :)
    Congrats! Enjoy your time!

DawnEmbers wrote: »
    So... I have to be out of apartment by 31st. Renting truck to move things on the 29th. Mom is going to be here on the 26th. It is now the 20th. I have packed one box, one bin and a suitcase. I haven't cancelled internet or done anything else.

I do believe it's time to panic, just a little.

:cold_sweat:

Can you enlist some help? When I moved last year I had someone help me. She helped to push me to get it done. My husband had already moved and it was just overwhelming to do it in my own...

I've been enjoying my new lifting setup and am continuing to add weight to the bar but am discouraged by a stall in my weight loss. :-( no change in weight or inches lately since I upped my calories from 1300 to 1500 several weeks ago. I "feel" better, recover well from my workouts and don't feel especially deprived food-wise now but want to see some losses!

• canadianlbs
    Options
    i'm about set to take bets on the outcome at this job. holy cow. i've worked with abusive and unreasonable temperament-princes before, but i ain't seen nothing exactly like scudge. maybe because nobody else has had the powers of scudge, in the practical sense. either way, i'm not all that sure anymore what's going on, but i kind of infer that we've got our very own personal version of waco, texas in place.

he's been told not to spend any more of anyone's time on his shiny and special idea, that nobody wants. project manager dropped the hammer last thursday and refused to authorize. left the meeting, the 'conversation' and the building and didn't come back for one statutory holiday and one day-off all of his own. so, in his absence, the three of us who have an actual reason to care got together, sat down, and worked out what the next level of customization is that we need for 'our' way.

guess who's the only system administrator left for this tool? go ahead, see if you can. he shut us all out of it a few weeks ago when the 'other team' started to use it as well . . . so basically now we have a standoff. scudge isn't 'allowed' to keep beating his drum (but i think he is anyway; he came back on tuesday but he's been ominously quiet and full of hatred for two days in a row - and he sure as hell ain't writing code.) and we sort-of can't proceed in any real direction with our own stuff until he gives us the modifications we need.

actually, that isn't true. we could cut him ocmpletely out and just mcgyver up our own workarounds. which we kind of have been doing anyway. but he's caught on that we do need those settings to make 'our' way work, so he's backing himself into this brainless corner that goes 'your way doesn't work . . . no, it doesn't. what's that you say? you need 'states' settings first? well, w here are they then? you said you were going to do them but you haven't, have you ?' this was what i heard him taunting the business analyst with near the end of today . . . and when she pointed out that WE have done that and HE is the reason why they don't exist, he leapt up and he stormed out again. groke only knows what tomorrow will bring. it's thursday, which is the day of our 'team' meeting, in which conversations like this tend to really take place.

if he was anyone else, i'd be saying i think the man's losing his mind. since it's scudge, i have this terrible fear that all he's doing is using the mind that he already has.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I have my mom com in from Wyoming. She will be able to help me move stuff and is going to do some apartment cleaning when I'm at work Plus, she hasn't seen me since I lost 50 lbs, so that will be fun. I have tomorrow off from work so I'm going to figure out what I have and if I need any more boxes and maybe pack some.

@crabada - Wow, that was quite the little debate over your trainer session. I did find it interesting the one mentioned how it was asking for too much to have a trainer watch a full 5x5 workout. All I did was ask a trainer at a commercial gym to help me with deadlift form and she insisted on going through the whole workout day. Didn't charge me anything above my membership. While she also didn't mention that they had bumper plates, which would have been useful, it still shows some do above even for us broke gym goers.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Dawn -- Agreed! It took a turn there for a while, huh? There was some very real misreadings happening. :) And I'm glad to know you had a good experience -- I know I'll find the right person sooner or later.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    @crabada , was this a personal trainer? I would think if you paid for a few sessions with a personal trainer he/she would listen to you and help. Sounds like the one you met with is trying to hook you into a gym membership eventually.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Canadianlbs why does your company put up with such an individual? Government contract work? He sounds like a spoilt momma's boy who needs a thrashing. I can just about imagine him as a child...never quite growing up.... I'd be having Walter Mitty-like imaginings of leaping over the conference table during one of his hissy fits & throttling him...
  • canadianlbs
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^^ i just have fantasies of putting both hands in the air and saying 'stop. or i quit'.

he's not just a tantrum artist. that's what's so difficult about him. i've worked with some real prize-winners before, and some people who are just aggressive self-indulgent infants. there was this giant serbian at the last place i worked . . . he's not one of those, which is what makes him such a piece of work. he's winston churchill's idea of a fanatic, can't change his mind and won't change the subject. and is utterly, completely convinced that he's right and he's angry for ideological reasons that we're being peasants and spoiling his beautiful plan. yer average *kitten* is in it for reasons of ego. this guy's in it because he has got an Idea.

heh. last friday the minion/business analyst had on that ministering angel face and was saying that she believes 'his feelings deserve to be heard.' i bit my tongue but i was thinking well, good luck with that, because imo it isn't about his feelz in the least; it's about his believez. but i think the project manager still wants to believe she's the pourer of oil on all the troubles, which is just going to lead to a lot more trouble if you ask me. she was in there with his door shut for an hour or so on tuesday, nothing coming out but his nagging-grievance-voice and her murmuring monotone . . . so i semi-assumed she puffed enough sunshine up his butt to give him a new lease on life and just prolong all of this agony. most probably conceded after all that he can build his damn 'prototypes' since obviously he's on some kind of sit-down strike towards anything else.

why they put up with him . . . hell if i know. a) government and therefore probably collective agreement of some kind, b) he knows everything there is to know about the application and wrote at least half the code. and c) most probably because we work in a microcosm, physically. it isn't as if there's anyone else around to witness any of this, and literally the only people that he affects is this team. and finally too - it's a groundbreaker, within the organization. it's not like there's any gold standard or process already in place out there that he's supposed to follow, at least not as far as i've heard.

so he's invested in it AND he gets away with it because this is a trackless desert. it's not like he's trying to change a qa/project policy that already exists. there IS no policy. he thinks that we're laying some corner stone for the whole organization to follow and he's utterly determined it has to be 'right'. of course, the idea of an entire zone of government following along for ten years in the byzantine maze that he wants to lay out for us all . . . that might be part of why i'm so determined not to let him get away with it, on my side.

what boggles me is that in all his years as a developer, and i think as a freelance to boot, he's had ONE job - ONE - which had actual full time qa. so he really, seriously doesn't know what he's talking about. and he's got four separate seasoned practitioners of software process lined up against him ALL saying they've never even heard of the kind of structure he wants to impose . . . and he dismisses it all. we 'don't know what we're talking about.' and/or we're 'not listening to him.'
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Canadian I keep reading your work updates and going "well my work could be worse" thanks for helping me keep stuff in perspective. I hope that things finally manage to move forward on that. I know how frustrating going back and forth on a non-issue can be (I am on my 3rd prototype for a reconciliation tool in the last 3 months because people can't make up their damn minds).

I swear sometimes I think: fine make your poor decisions, I'll do the work and daydream about picking you up and tossing you out the window because damn it I could if I so choose.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Canadianlbs your situation sounds impossible. I admire your resolve to not give into the insanity! And I'm convinced that you are a lot nicer and patient person than I am. :-)
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Sumi -- This was just the consultation, so I haven't paid for anything yet thankfully. But it also means I don't think he's the right person for me, so I have to keep looking. There aren't many lifting focused gyms in my area, so I had high hopes this would be a good fit. SIGH.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    just stopping by to say, oy. for all the times i've complained that i don't know if i'm doing rows right because i never 'feel' them the following day . . . yeah. i think me and my 10-pound jump up to 80 last night just found the answer to that.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    in further news, i learned that scudge was visited by medusa in person on thursday or friday last week, and she basically overrode the p.m.'s veto on his damn prototyping . . . so he's being quiet and borderline-pleasant right now but the p.m. wasn't present in the office yesterday and we still have the huge fight to come on the day when he shows us his so-cunning plan and we still tell him to go climb a tree with it.

i think he's going to end up getting what he wants. and then he's going to go around for six months being frustrated and baffled and insulting because he can't understand why his top-heavy system isn't producing the 'efficiency' it so obviously should. six months to go, if i stay here that long.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Do you ladies ever actually LOSE appetite? I'm not hungry these last few days, feel a little tired but workouts havnt suffered at all. What gives?

Canadianlbs - May your 6 months come speedily...
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Canadian -- Oh geez. WHY would she override the veto? Does she agree with his plan or is it just to appease him? And if I were the PM, I'd be PI$$ED!

I posted this on a status a little bit ago, but figured I'd share here too: I think I've found a trainer! It's a woman that I worked with a few times at my old gym when my regular trainer wasn't available. She's really nice, smart, seems to be on board with my FORM! needs, is going to school for kinesiology (which I think will be super helpful in our training), and only wants to charge me $20 per session! We start in a few weeks, once her semester is done. I am super excited!

Also, the book chapter is done. We got word from all three editors today that they are pleased with the revisions and have no further edits. Such a huge relief!

Hope you're all having a great day!

xoxo,
    C.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Congrats on all fronts Crabada!!!