Random Thoughts - Misc. Chat Thread for April / May 2015

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    So, remember this shin injury from box jumping?

glad to hear the explanation for this. i saw something from you on my wall that made me wonder if something much worse had happened.

forgot to mention that my bench press workshop on saturday was fully of newbies who've never lifted before. me with my wobbly shoulder and general disarray got to look like i was actually good at benching . . . which was gratifying in one way but disappointing in others since it meant i sure didn't learn very much.

i got to pass on the rippetoe tip about staring at the ceiling and taking a mental photo of exactly where the bar is, and then just putting it back there on every rep. that felt good since the trainer sure didn't talk nearly as much as i thought she should have about stability and fragile little rotator cuff muscles and alla dat. not a word about stacking the bar right over the shoulder joint at the top, for instance. so i'm glad i remembered that one.

but some of the conversations when were were all broken down into sub-grouped 'stations' were weird. 'wait wait, be careful, maybe use this bar instead, here better hold still and let me just hand it to you . . . ' 'um, well, my current bench weight is [twice this amount]'. and it's hard to explain to real noobs without sounding like a pompous poseur that it's actually really hard to feel anything useful about your form if you're lifting something that is no challenge at all. and tbh, 30 pounds was no challenge at all.

AND i had to remind her that perhaps she'd better talk about safety and spotting and all of that stuff, since this was bench press. on the other hand, maybe that was a faux pas from me? it really didn't occur to me that none of these women was lifting anything that posed any danger to them. i feel silly now because i was saying things like don't collar your weights which she hadn't mentioned, and she was sort of counter-implying that too-heavy-for-roll-of-shame was hardly likely to happen to anyone there.

i think that the next one i got to i'm just gonna come right out and say that a) i've been lifting according to sl and mark rippetoe, and b) i'm interested in getting as strong as hell.

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Lots of challenges being faced in this group! Be well all!!
    I've been sidelined by travel days and will again this week. I kind of hate this on again off again workout schedule but do love getting out of dodge so it's all good in the wash. Hi to all of the new ladies! ( I've only been here a few weeks myself! Awesome, helpful, active group here!!).
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Just read a thread on the main boards, didn't realize cardio was such a controversial subject, yikes.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    So, remember this shin injury from box jumping?

'wait wait, be careful, maybe use this bar instead, here better hold still and let me just hand it to you . . . ' 'um, well, my current bench weight is [twice this amount]'. and it's hard to explain to real noobs without sounding like a pompous poseur that it's actually really hard to feel anything useful about your form if you're lifting something that is no challenge at all. and tbh, 30 pounds was no challenge at all.

*Eye roll* Part of getting women to feel confident lifting heavy is to not let them be nervous nellies about lifting light. Maybe they want to keep it light so that you don't lose your boobs or something. Anyway,it sounds like the workshop didn't offer much instruction. Atta girl for you teaching them some useful things.
  • I think we should find a centrally located Rippetoe weekend seminar whatever thing and all meet there. Clinics and MR touching our butts in the morning, all the cosmopolitans (for your avatar MissHoliday) at night. What do you think?
  • canadianlbs
    crabada wrote: »
    Clinics and MR touching our butts in the morning

:D:D:D:D:D

• canadianlbs
    *Eye roll* Part of getting women to feel confident lifting heavy is to not let them be nervous nellies about lifting light. Maybe they want to keep it light so that you don't lose your boobs or something.

yeah . . . idk, it all feels kind of inconclusive and undirected at this thing. which is understandable as well as fine, really, considering that it's basically drop-in and there's a really wide range. i happened to get in a station group with two other women how'd literally never done a bench press before, and they were actually the 'ooh better be careful' ones.

and tb fair, it's not like i stuck my chest out during intros and said 'iiiiii have been doing this for so long i could bench press a moose if i wanted to now.' all i mentioned was the recent shoulder stuff and a year's worth of 'lifting' without going into any more detail than that. i've had so much to be modest about, recently . . . but i think i am going to start being a bit more forthcoming during the next ones i go to. i've definitely decided it's time to just speak up at the start and say that i do 5-rep range and i'm into this because of the strength. otherwise she angles the whole thing towards '8-12 reps and aesthetics/fitness', which is fine, but obviously not my own zone.

i have plans for the next one, actually ;-) i'm one of the people who's been asking for a while if she could do a workshop on barbell squats, specifically. not just the dumbbell/kettlebell variations, but the real thing. it really looks like she's going to arrange rack space and make it happen soon, and if i get myself up to a comfortable 100 pounds by that point i may allow myself to say so out loud. i feel like 100lbs isn't exactly bragging-rights turf, but it does at least signal the not-total-noob thing.
    Atta girl for you teaching them some useful things.

i was so pleased to remember that tip in time. because honestly, what a huuuge difference it makes.

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I would travel for a SL 5x5 group meet up, it would be neat but weird to put people to online personalities especially those who don't have themselves as avatars.

On a side note I decided I needed to try getting enough sleep instead of consuming copious amounts of caffeine but now my daughter is cutting one of her I teeth and sleep is something that I don't know well. Hubs left for Houston on Sunday morning and he won't be back until late Saturday night. It's like she can sense when it is just me holding down the fort and decides she just wants to be miserable while daddy isn't here.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Just checking in to say HI! I am still healing the back. Bulging disks are NO JOKE!! I walked a ton in NOLA last week and it really helped so I have been keeping that up and doing at least 30 min of cardio a day. Happy to see all you ladies are doing great!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    I think we should find a centrally located Rippetoe weekend seminar whatever thing and all meet there. Clinics and MR touching our butts in the morning, all the cosmopolitans (for your avatar MissHoliday) at night. What do you think?

YES. Off to Google Rippetoe workshops and check my savings account.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    I would travel for a SL 5x5 group meet up, it would be neat but weird to put people to online personalities especially those who don't have themselves as avatars.

On a side note I decided I needed to try getting enough sleep instead of consuming copious amounts of caffeine but now my daughter is cutting one of her I teeth and sleep is something that I don't know well. Hubs left for Houston on Sunday morning and he won't be back until late Saturday night. It's like she can sense when it is just me holding down the fort and decides she just wants to be miserable while daddy isn't here.

Expect the same hair, different face :wink:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Given I had the time and finances I'd totally be in for a meet-up. :) Hey, if you guys are ever in the Qc area let me know! I can put you through one of my workouts! lol ;P Honestly I'm probably one of the quietest of the group in person, so I,d probably just be like "yeah, I lift" and listen to you gals banter haha.

Hoping to make it back to the gym tomorrow morning here. I haven't had enough sleep, it feels like I may never do, wound isn't any better yet but it's not like I can't do things. I just have zippo in matters of energy. In fact it's 21:15 and I'm off to bed xD So tired (and so sorry I was all like "I have ideas for challenge" and never followed through. I can barely keep up with my meals so far this week, and really have to stop buying premade crap or restaurant stuff. That poutine was good but, really? I think my lighter body will feel even better.
  • canadianlbs
    i'll tell you guys something that amused me this week. basing this on a streak of all of three/four workouts done at more challenging weights, but whatever. it entertained me, so i will be calling it fact. and if you're not in the mood for forthright discussion of peeing, then skip.

i can go in there to the gym with my giant sippy cup that holds 3/4 of a litre of water, easy . . . and during a workout i'll empty it, refill it, and drain it again. no big deal. what's funny to me is something i've just realised: that water just goes into me before/during a workout. . . and doesn't come out. it might take me anywhere from one- to two-and-a-half hours before i leave again, but i've practically given up thinking things like 'better make sure you pee first' as i leave. i mean, i'm not saying NOTHING escapes me between then and bedtime, but not a lot does.

and then somewhere in the middle of the night my system will let go of it. i'll be peeing like a racehorse at 3 am, and the 10% of my brain that's conscious will be thinking 'ah great, guess my muscles are done processing that workout then.'
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    @canadianlbs this made me laugh out loud behind my desk! I totally force myself to try and pee, because I'm getting sick waking up in the middle of the night to stumble to the toilet!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    @canadianlbs I hope you wake up and get out of bed when your system decides to "let go" :)

Reminds me of a Golden Girls quote from Sofia: "I never get up in the middle of the night. Every morning at 7 am, I pee. Unfortunately, I don't wake up until 8."
  • canadianlbs
    edited April 2015
    Clinics and MR touching our butts in the morning

:D:D:D:D:D

come to think of it, that's probably a lot of money to pay someone just to lay hands on your butt. i usually pay people not to do it . . . amateur male 'massage' offerers, i'm looking at you.

• canadianlbs
    edited April 2015
    'training' today. on how to use this half-assed half-baked piece of fisher-price crap that i have been putting my full mcgyver against for five months, without yet discovering an angle to shake it from that will make the kind of information fall out of it that is being demanded of me.

can't get out of it - putting me into two days' worth of cold storage while i'm the 'critical path' on this stupid project and i'm already maxed-out to the max makes no sense. but trying to get out and/or presenting the reasons why it's seriously unlikely to be worth much would get me instantly branded as obstructive and arrogant and 'unwilling to learn', so i'm in. but i'm so not looking forward to it.

notification came around yesterday via email that 'laptops are not required'. i.e. permitted, aka 'no hope of getting anything productive done while letting 8 hours of thinly-disguised sales pitch wash over your heads'. and lunch will be 'provided' as well. which the banana-eater, who i'm quite coming to like, pointed out probably means 'you won't be permitted to leave.' i told her the hell with that. four hours in a room being talked at without cease is going to make me a few minutes of quiet time essential to me. if they want me to stay in that room when i don't have to be in it they'll have to chain the crappy catered cucumber sandwiches to the wall and make me eat without hands. even then, i'll probably still elect to leave and eat potato chips from teh vending machine, just for the sake of me time.

• MissHolidayGolightly
    You get amateur males offering your massages? Like in the street? Damn, all I get is a guy driving a prison van honking and winking at me. Helped boost the old ego a bit.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Interesting. I don't get noticed much by strangers, unless you want to count the comment I overheard some guy telling his friend as I walked on by during C25k training about how I must be looking for a vending machine. Lame guy thought he was funny/clever, as if I didn't have my own candy bar already waiting for me at home. pfft

Well, I did get whistled at once but that was in mexico and a short skirt was involved. My friend also had some guy come up to her and ask if she wanted a mexican boyfriend. It was an interesting vacation, back when 2 girls could go alone.

My arms are sore from all of the lifting I did yesterday between the 30 lbs for the grit strength class, last day of stage 2 in NROLFW and some extra arm accessories at the end. My legs are fine at least, even with all the squats and the jumping, which is good cause today is 10 minute jogs for C25k. And later tonight may be pizza as one coworker quit so tonight is her last day.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    I don't really either or at least I don't notice. I feel like yelling at random women is really only something douches and psychopaths do as is the case with the guy that said that to you/his friend. I'm going to Mexico this year and now I'm looking forward to getting a Mexican boyfriend :smiley: but only if he addresses me as Mami.