pantry items for LCHF?

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
Haven't found any lists containing this information, so please forgive me if I have missed it. I struck out at our Wal Mart today when looking for almond flour. So now I plan a trip to the only Whole Foods store available here (is about an hour's drive away). I hate to go that far for just almond flour, so what are some other recommendations for pantry items that will be good for having on hand?

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Haven't found any lists containing this information, so please forgive me if I have missed it. I struck out at our Wal Mart today when looking for almond flour. So now I plan a trip to the only Whole Foods store available here (is about an hour's drive away). I hate to go that far for just almond flour, so what are some other recommendations for pantry items that will be good for having on hand?

I have almond and coconut flours but we rarely use them because baked goods just isnt a thing anymore.

But if you go to whole foods, they will usually carry a Bob's Redmill brand small bag for about $10. Or go on Amazon and get a huge bag for just a little more.

However, I have nuts, nut butters, coconut oil, coconut, avocado, seeds like sunflower and pepitas, olive oil, avocado oil, homemade mayo and mustard, lots of chicken and beef bullion concentrate, butter by the pounds, cream cheese blocks, heavy cream, sour cream, coconut milk both in cans and in the cartons, cottage cheese, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, BACON!! beef, chicken cuts with skin, corned beef briskets, ham, pork sausage, turkey loafs, crab, tuna, clams, cheese sticks, kale, pork rinds.

I know there's more but was doing the menu for next month and that's on my shopping list so far :D
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Okay, nut butters. Is there particular ones that are better than others? Have been eating LCHF for a couple months, meat, and cheese, but wanted to venture into making other dishes that my non-LCHF hubby and son would eat. Have ingredients to make cauliflower mashed potatoes and my husband is looking forward to it too.

Is there anything you bought that you wish you wouldn't have?

Thank you for your reply!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I bought a HUGE bag of almond flour and 4 different flavors of stevia for my coffee right before I was told to quit eating both, does that count?

We don't end up eating fresh vegetation, so it goes to waste. I'm mostly buying frozen now. Oh, and I bought 3 kinds of goat cheese at the farmer's market, then realized that I had no idea what to do with it if spreading it on toast was no longer an option.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >Is there anything you bought that you wish you wouldn't have?

Coconut flour ... I've got a bunch and never use it. A little goes a lonnnng way, plus fake baked goods just aren't worth it in the end.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yeah coconut flour isn't the best but it does work better for certain recipes iirc.

Cocoa butter was something else I could only find locally at whole foods (and again would have been cheaper from amazon).

Their produce is nice. How about some avocados?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you all (or y'all with my southern drawl)!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I started with cookbooks. Find some LCHF or Keto cookbooks at your local library and see if there are recipes you like before you buy a book.

My favorite recipe books are Saving Dinner the Low Carb Way by Leanne Ely. She gives you options for low carb and non-low carb eaters. Like add rice to a dish here, or torillas to a dish there, etc. The southwestern crock beef and the apricot glazed ham steaks are two of our favorites there.

Any book by Dana Carpender is good so far. I have the 500 recipe one and the 300 crockpot recipes one, which we use more often. Sausage soup, Cauliflower ham bake, cauliflower cheese and spinach soup, 'candied' nuts, spinach dip, Tequila lime chicken, cranberry orange ribs, Mushu pork and many more we love there.

Dinner is by far our biggest carb meal, but even with low carb and not necessarily keto recipes I usually keep my net carbs under 20g a day, so it is doable. Most of the recipes you can make enough for leftovers the next day for lunch or whatever. My very picky daughter has started eating low carb and asking for some of the stuff I make specifically like the Sausage soup, cranberry orange ribs and broccoli and cheese soup.

Even something like a Keto alfredo sauce with chicken is good. Use shiritake noodles or no noodle for you and use regular noodles for the non-low carbers you have.

Also, if there is something someone is craving, google 'insert good food here' keto recipe and you will find someone who did something to make it more keto friendly for you.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you Alliwan! Cookbooks! Duh! That's why I hang out with all of you!
  • Katieusa68
    Katieusa68 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My Walmart has almond flour but it was hard to find. It's in a small bag in the gluten free section. Maybe that's where your people put it! ;)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

I believe its regional, but every Kroger near me (I live in North Carolina, kroger is common in mid-atlantic/southeast i think?) has a section with almond flour and other things like it. None of the other standard grocers in my area carry it. Figuring this out saves me a 1 hr+ trip to whole foods as well.

I don't do a ton of low carb baking or replacement food making, the only other thing I had trouble finding that a recipe called for once was Xanthum Gum. I also keep Erythritol around, I have never found that in a store outside of stevia packets, the stuff I liked to order I think I had to get from netrition or amazon.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm brand new to a woe of zero grains, a 40 sugar gram limit and a carb goal of under 100 grams a day, and I've gone shopping three times so far since Wednesday lol. I'm also on a tight budget so what I've bought so far-

frozen veggie mixes at Dollar Tree!! I got several bags of pepper/onion blend, which will be great for stir-fry type meals (which I eat a lot of). Only ingredients is frozen veggies :)
    -other frozen veggies (a stir-fry blend that has carrots, mushrooms, peppers, onion etc, and then cauliflower, broccoli and peas). Its off season here so I'm going to use a lot of frozen veggies until the farmers markets open in a few months
    -fresh veggies:-mushrooms, broccoli, bell peppers and onions
    -fresh fruit:cantaloupe: I'm not a big fan of fruit but its nice for when I want something sweet
    -frozen fruit-peaches and pineapple, to mix into Greek yogurt
    -several small containers of 100 calorie Greek yogurt
    -nuts (flavored peanuts and cashews-need to research the whole Omega 3/6 thing, but one thing at a time)
    -meats including chicken, pork (bacon of course lol), and beef
    -eggs
    -several gluten free condiments
    -sweet potatoes

I think that's it so far, I did look into coconut flour but it was really expensive and I'm not craving baked goods at this point so I didn't bother.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I managed to find the almond flour at another Wal-Mart that was closer than Whole Foods. It's tough when you live thirty minutes away from any larger grocery store. We do have a couple locally, but you can forget anything considered "specialty items," plus the prices are amazingly high.

Made the fathead pizza and my son loved it. I liked it but could only eat about three fourths of a piece. I did eat the rest of the toppings though. Hubby will be having it today since he is on night shift this weekend.

I truly appreciate ALL of the responses! Never forget to love yourself too!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I always have almonds in the freezer. I buy them when they are on sale, and stick them in the freezer to help them keep longer. If I run out of almond meal, I can always make my own. I use my Vitamix, which is amazing. You could try a food processor too I suppose....You just have to watch out that you don't process it so much that it turns into almond butter though !
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think I'm one of the few people here who considers coconut flour and almond flour necessities. I buy both at costco, and am lucky enough to have grocery outlets that get them in.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I got several bags of pepper/onion blend
    The carbs in those are higher than I'd like (compared to broccoli & cauliflower at least) but if it fits your macros then cool!

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,526 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    Honestly, I started with cookbooks. Find some LCHF or Keto cookbooks at your local library and see if there are recipes you like before you buy a book.

My favorite recipe books are Saving Dinner the Low Carb Way by Leanne Ely. She gives you options for low carb and non-low carb eaters. Like add rice to a dish here, or torillas to a dish there, etc. The southwestern crock beef and the apricot glazed ham steaks are two of our favorites there.

Any book by Dana Carpender is good so far. I have the 500 recipe one and the 300 crockpot recipes one, which we use more often. Sausage soup, Cauliflower ham bake, cauliflower cheese and spinach soup, 'candied' nuts, spinach dip, Tequila lime chicken, cranberry orange ribs, Mushu pork and many more we love there.

Dinner is by far our biggest carb meal, but even with low carb and not necessarily keto recipes I usually keep my net carbs under 20g a day, so it is doable. Most of the recipes you can make enough for leftovers the next day for lunch or whatever. My very picky daughter has started eating low carb and asking for some of the stuff I make specifically like the Sausage soup, cranberry orange ribs and broccoli and cheese soup.

Even something like a Keto alfredo sauce with chicken is good. Use shiritake noodles or no noodle for you and use regular noodles for the non-low carbers you have.

Also, if there is something someone is craving, google 'insert good food here' keto recipe and you will find someone who did something to make it more keto friendly for you.

I make chicken alfredo and the family eats it with noodles, I just eat chicken and sauce with whole milk mozzarella baked over it. Ummmm

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I shopped online this week and had it delivered. The only thing in my shopping that DIDN'T go in the fridge was coffee. The rest was meat, veg, eggs, butter, cheese, mayo, bacon, avocado etc. Our Foodland has almond flour and stuff like that in bulk that you can buy just a scoop of, ends up being really cheap compared to prepackaged stuff, but I have totally gone off anything that is a "substitute" for carby foods. I tend towards fresh produce these days.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you make chocolate flavored fat bombs, Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa powder is really good. The only place I could find it (without ordering online) was at Whole Foods. And you might see if they have Cocoa Butter.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fat Bombs
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend getting cocoa butter at Whole foods (though it's cacao butter and it's by the muscle building supplements for some reason, if you do want to). It was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Navitas-Naturals-Cacao-Butter-Pouches/dp/B002PAAWQU/

And it was $25. That seems only slightly above par for that brand, but there are other options on Amazon for far less. I'd also rather have the pouches with wafers, because that giant solid bar shatters when you attempt to cut it. If Dan's recipe for the chocolate raspberry fat bombs hadn't looked so intoxicating, I'd have ordered off amazon (and I didn't end up making it until after prime free shipping would have gotten it to me anyway).
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Just used Amazon to order some items and we have Prime too, so they will be here tomorrow!

Thank you all for your great advice! You have helped me in so many ways!