100 pushup challenge

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
There was some interest in this challenge in another thread. I've tried it for a few weeks, and I've been stuck at around 65 non-consecutive pushups for a while (the 16, 17, 14, 14, 20+ sets).

I may try again with some carb loading to see if it helps. If you try it, feel free to post your results here, and include your level of carb intake.

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

Nice android app here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=alexcrusher.just6weeks.pushups

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Starting today :). Keep pushing you'll get past it!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have downloaded the app....

Currently, I can't do a single proper pushup and plan to do them from my knees.

My carb intake is set to under 20, and I'm doing my best to keep it there.

I will not be starting until I'm done coughing.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I finished it a few weeks ago (before I was lc so no stats for that). It was challenging but a lot of fun and I may do it again on a harder level, on my days off from the 200 squat challenge that I just started :) I'm also eying the 25 pull-ups challenge!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What the heck. It can't do anymore harm than what Im doing now (nothing). I think I will start with the knee version though (bad back and all).
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yowza. So I know it said to wait a couple days after the initial test to start. But I was bored and impatient and started anyway. Had to do last set on my knees, I can't believe how weak I am.

I can't even picture doing 100 in a row, that seems crazy right now.

Good luck everyone!
  • wabmester
    Options
    Keep at it. When I started, I could do maybe 10-15. Now 60+ non-consecutive, and 30 or so consecutive. My pull-ups have improved too, which is even more amazing to me since I was an insulin-resistant wimp.

If you're IR (like I was), your muscles don't take up glucose very well, and it's tough to do exercise. Also, if you're low carb, you'll quickly deplete glycogen with intense exercise, especially resistance training.

Basically, this body-weight exercise is PERFECT for people like me to improve insulin sensitivity.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I am IR, that's what led me here :) I am very weak it's astounding. Now I'm even more eager to lose weight, it'll be less of me to push up lol
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm in. Have no idea what I'll achieve at my age/weight/gender but I'm keen to try. Whilst I can do 'man pushups' on my toes, I only do the top half of the movement. I sort of lower myself half way and then come up again because if I get down to almost touching the floor I can't get back up again. Even doing the top half of the movement feels good and I can get 12 done before I wimp out.

So... question... Do I continue with 'top half pushups' from my initial capability of 12, or do I start from 0 going all the way to the floor and not being able to come pack up again tee hee!
  • wabmester
    Options
    You don't have to go all the way to the floor, but they have suggestions on good form in their FAQ:
    http://www.hundredpushups.com/questions.html
  • GrannyMayOz
    edited April 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    You don't have to go all the way to the floor, but they have suggestions on good form in their FAQ:
    http://www.hundredpushups.com/questions.html
    Thank you Wabmester <3

• kuranda10
    Options
    So, I told my husband that I was doing this, but using the knee version.

Now, my husband is a very loving, intelligent man. But after I told him I was starting this, I heard "women aren't supposed to do the full ones anyway".

Before I give him a good old american dose of what for, is that even remotely based on fact, or is his living up to the stereotype of an Aussie male?
  • wabmester
    Options
    I'm not going to go there. :)

Suffice it to say that alternative pushups are allowed:
    http://www.hundredpushups.com/what.html

modified_form_pushups.gif
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to improve upper body strength, so will give this a go. Don't know if I got the correct app, but guess it doesn't matter too much! I will be doing the alternative pushups .tho! Thanks for starting this thread.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I've heard them called Girl Pushups and Man Pushups many, many times. The term 'alternative pushups' is very PC Wabmester. Or 'assisted pushups' as it says on that gif.

I truly truly want to do 'full pushups' but I always was all or nothing >:)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    In! I'll do the initial test this evening. I'll be doing incline push-ups, about halfway to the floor.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I can do alternative pushups OK, can do over 20 in the initial test, but can't do 1 real pushup. Not sure whether to do the challenge with alternative pushups, or try the real ones... feel like I wouldn't get very far with the real ones, so may try building up to 100 alternative ones, then start the challenge again with real ones. Any thoughts?
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I can do alternative pushups OK, can do over 20 in the initial test, but can't do 1 real pushup. Not sure whether to do the challenge with alternative pushups, or try the real ones... feel like I wouldn't get very far with the real ones, so may try building up to 100 alternative ones, then start the challenge again with real ones. Any thoughts?
    I can do 7 'top half' real pushups so I feel in the same boat as you @totaloblivia Not quite sure which method to choose. I did the initial test tonight using real pushups, but my usual, just the top half of the exercise method. I think I'm going to stick with doing it that way. Typical me, there's no real name for what I do ha ha!

My husband built me a skinny incline 'bench' that sits on the floor like a home version of a car ramp so I did my pushup test with that under me. I never touched it, but if I hit failure then I'm not collapsing on the floor, just down a little to where my chest touches the ramp, and can pick up again where I left off sooner. Does that make any sense at all? I should post a picture I know. I was sure I could do 12, but only achieved 7 before stopping briefly, so I signed up for the 0-5 level on my phone app.
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    In! I'll do the initial test this evening. I'll be doing incline push-ups, about halfway to the floor.
    Sounds as if we're both doing Top Half Pushups. I've decided to stick with that method seeing as it's what I can do. If I can get to 100 of those, surely I can then build on it to start doing the lower half. What do you think?

• Sugarbeat
    Options

Real pushups are hard on my wrists and knee pushups are, well hard on the knees. I think if you start with alternative and work your way up to 100 that's good. You can always change it up once you get there. Myself I plan on using a smith machine because I can lower it once I get to 100. If I want to.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    I'm doing the push ups with my hands on dumbells. It changes the wrist position and is a "slight" variation of the "kunckles versions" they talk about on the info page
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    I can't get the dumbbells to keep from moving, lol. The smith machine stays put.