100 pushup challenge

Options

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My arms finally felt it in my pilates class. They gave out on the arms exercises and they never do that.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Try knuckle pushups, which keep your wrists straight. You may even want to get a pair of cheap boxing gloves, which will force you to keep your wrists straight and provide some cushioning for your knuckles.

If you don't condition your knuckles, you'll want to do this on a carpet! Also I recommend keeping your weight on the backs of the first two knuckles of your hand (index and middle). This will create a straight line to your forearm for more stability, and reduce the risk of rolling your wrist.

I like the suggestion I saw to start with wall push-ups if you have a lot of difficulty. Alt. push-ups are also valid as long as you focus on the muscles you should be using and don't use your back! :)

I've been doing bench weights instead of push ups lately, but maybe I'll give this a shot since I can do them anywhere.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Try knuckle pushups, which keep your wrists straight. You may even want to get a pair of cheap boxing gloves, which will force you to keep your wrists straight and provide some cushioning for your knuckles.

If you don't condition your knuckles, you'll want to do this on a carpet! Also I recommend keeping your weight on the backs of the first two knuckles of your hand (index and middle). This will create a straight line to your forearm for more stability, and reduce the risk of rolling your wrist.

I like the suggestion I saw to start with wall push-ups if you have a lot of difficulty. Alt. push-ups are also valid as long as you focus on the muscles you should be using and don't use your back! :)

I've been doing bench weights instead of push ups lately, but maybe I'll give this a shot since I can do them anywhere.

That's another reason for the boxing gloves -- cushioning. :)

I used to joke that I did bench presses in order to work up to push-ups! :lol:

I'm on Week 1, Day 3, and my arms are feeling pretty good. They gave out Wednesday and I was a couple shy on the last set, but managed to eek out all 13 for the last set it gave me today. A good start. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

That's another reason for the boxing gloves -- cushioning. :)

I used to joke that I did bench presses in order to work up to push-ups! :lol:

I'm on Week 1, Day 3, and my arms are feeling pretty good. They gave out Wednesday and I was a couple shy on the last set, but managed to eek out all 13 for the last set it gave me today. A good start. :)

I think my wrist is getting used to it, it doesn't bother me hardly at all after now, finished day 3 yesterday and I'm feeling really good. I'm so glad someone suggested this. I also started the squat challenge, just did day 1 of that.

I've noticed that since cutting out most of the food i used to eat, high in carbs, sugar and things that made me feel ill, I don't have nearly as much pain in my body so I think that's why my wrist is hurting less, it used to hurt for no reason, now not at all
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I forgot to do these today! bother!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I restarted week 2. More than once. Finally made it past W2D1 today after letting my arms rest for 2 days. I was able to do more a couple weeks ago, so not sure if its fatigue, loss of glycogen, or loss of muscle mass. I'm going to try to eat more protein to see if that has any effect.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide if I want to do every other day or the Mon/Wed/Fri plan ...

Finished week1. Still living.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

So do it now!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I forgot mine last night so did them this morning, complete with 9 and 6 year old granddaughters mimicking me. We were all laughing so hard we collapsed in a heap at the end. One had her bottom too low and the other too high. I *hope* I was doing it correctly in comparison LOL
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

So do it now!

Don't worry, I've done it now! Was too late last night.

• totaloblivia
    Options
    I forgot mine last night so did them this morning, complete with 9 and 6 year old granddaughters mimicking me. We were all laughing so hard we collapsed in a heap at the end. One had her bottom too low and the other too high. I *hope* I was doing it correctly in comparison LOL

My younger daughter was laughing at not with!

• totaloblivia
    Options

My younger daughter was laughing at not with!

At me not you! Obvs...

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

I had my 12-yo daughter try it one day. She did pretty well, but she looked like a dolphin swimming.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Oh well. Laughing at/with or not, we're setting examples to them <3
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I just did the initial test-10 pushups-gonna do knee pushups, then redo with full ones!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I just did the initial test and really surprised myself by doing 15 (on my knees so far!). I thought I would do 5 or 6! Got hubby onto it too...lol..he's so competetive. ;)
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Just did week 1 day 3....does anyone else just wander off during the rests to do chores?
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    I just did the initial test-10 pushups-gonna do knee pushups, then redo with full ones!

I plan on this too, but am already doubtful I'll ever do 100 full pushups. Hopefully by week 6 I will know differently!

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Just did my test. Rank 3, though I only went til my form started to slip, rather than when I'd collapse. I want to start tomorrow to alternate with my weight bench days.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

I plan on this too, but am already doubtful I'll ever do 100 full pushups. Hopefully by week 6 I will know differently!

I feel the same way, but after three days I could already feel the difference in my arms, so now I'm thinking it's possible