So tell us what you've learned....

Options
124»

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @cstehansen I get your 'lamentations' about members logging in a long time ago, posting once (or twice... maybe a few times) then disappearing.
    If it's any comfort (!) I have also joined the Italian contingency on this multi-national forum, and the attendance record and returns of new members makes for depressing viewing.
    So many "introduce yourself" posts of one single comment, and then total abandonment. Utter silence. Tumbleweed valley.
    on top of that, I found one - JUST ONE - link in Italian outlining why it's best to reduce carbs - even though it does state that carbs are necessary for the body...

Italian forum in 2 words?
    Unmitigated disaster.
    We do ok here.....
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have only had time to read the first page but I was so encouraged I thought this could use a bump. Happy Wednesday all!
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I lost over 190lbs with a high protein(150-200g)/mod carb(~150)/mod fat (~50) diet. I started 10/2003. I have managed to keep it off .. until the last couple of years. I have gained about 60 of it back (but holding). I know I am getting older and my metabolism is slowing. I decided to really shake things up by doing this Keto diet. This allows for all the things I have had to pass on (too fatty) for the last 14+ years. I did my research and see it appears to be health and makes you even healthier.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just a shout out to @DittoDan. Haven't heard from you in a while and always looked forward to seeing your posts! Hope you are doing OK.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

For instance, thyroid function can go down on a keto diet, but that does not necessarily mean hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism means there is a problem. Kind of like the difference between obsessive compulsive personality and obsessive compulsive disorder. OCP is fine. OCD is when it causes functional problems in one's life. Lower thyroid function because it does not need to work as hard because of low carb is not a problem.

@cstehansen

This is currently a topic of interest to me. Do you have any articles you could cite?

My thyroid tested on the high side of normal prior to keto but was at a stable level so they weren't treating it. Had annual wellness exam this year and my level had dropped dramatically to the very low side of normal. I wasn't aware of this link with keto and so was concerned, but my doctor said we would just keep an eye on it. Actually going in to get blood drawn today for follow up testing.

• realsammysalamander
    realsammysalamander Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This thread was a great read! Here are my responses:
    What brought you to living healthier?
    I joined a biggest loser competition at work, and finally discovered that I could lose weight, I wasn't a special snowflake, I just ate too much.
    How did you find LC?
    A friend of mine tried it out and her results were awesome
    How did you keep on at your first plateau?
    I haven't hit one yet, but I am very recent adopter to LC
    How do you keep on during difficulties?
    I just keep myself busy and try to trust the process
    How do you manage your stressors?
    Plan, and plan, and plan. It is my go to way to deal with life.
    What tips and tricks are uniquely yours? Who motivates you? What motivates you?
    I don't think I have that great of a handle on LC yet to really answer this. I just keep trying things out and learning from mistakes. Motivation for me seems fleeting, I just need to decide I am going to do something, then get 'er done.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

For instance, thyroid function can go down on a keto diet, but that does not necessarily mean hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism means there is a problem. Kind of like the difference between obsessive compulsive personality and obsessive compulsive disorder. OCP is fine. OCD is when it causes functional problems in one's life. Lower thyroid function because it does not need to work as hard because of low carb is not a problem.

@cstehansen

This is currently a topic of interest to me. Do you have any articles you could cite?

My thyroid tested on the high side of normal prior to keto but was at a stable level so they weren't treating it. Had annual wellness exam this year and my level had dropped dramatically to the very low side of normal. I wasn't aware of this link with keto and so was concerned, but my doctor said we would just keep an eye on it. Actually going in to get blood drawn today for follow up testing.

My current LCHF friendly doc is one of my sources. I think it was Dr Feinman who mentioned in an interview as well. The only link I have for sure is this one from Dr Nally:

https://www.docmuscles.com/ketosis-part-xii-thyroid/

There are links in this so maybe you can find some additional back up in those.

I kind of assumed hypothyroidism was not an issue for me after looking up the symptoms and seeing none of them matched outside of getting cold easily. I attribute that to having low body fat and spending nearly all my time as a kid outside in Texas where triple digits is a normal high in the summer. I have just always preferred to be hot over cold. So having lowish thyroid numbers did not concern me.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Thanks @cstehansen . I will look that over.....I have also looked at the symptoms of thyroid problems numerous times and never could really match up with many either. My PCP just said my right thyroid was slightly enlarged at my last annual so she's keeping an eye on it. Not an alarmist though....