Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    edited December 2017
    Strange fruit that might actually exist, but not the one in the opening screenshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BAYCbI1Fdg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

29 out there now with an expected high of 54 and no chance of precipitation.

Orchid society meeting and holiday party/meal tonight. Whee!

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning + 1 Quarter and the streets and sidewalks were dry except where the snow had been packed down. The temperature this morning was 35 on the porch and 34 on the cable channel. From what I could see the depth is of snow was around 3 inches, OTOH based on the snowfall totals We must have had over 4 inches. Much of that melted on the sidewalks and streets as it landed.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Snowball-Fight-Canceled-Due-to-Snow-Six-Flags-Great-Adventure-Jackson-New-Jersey-463032503.html
    Snowball Fight Canceled Due to Snow

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/california-avocados-hit-triple-whammy-fire-wind-ash-232736605.html
    California avocados hit with triple whammy of fire, wind and ash
    By Dan Whitcomb, Reuters December 8, 2017

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/12/08/modrn-day-witchcraft/
    Modern Day Witches Call Theirs ‘A Beautiful Way Of Life’
    December 8, 2017 at 11:53 pm

https://apnews.com/037f4ecce41a4e0fbbd176396f64a5fc/Iraq-says-its-war-against-IS-has-ended
    PM announces on state TV Iraq's war against IS has ended
    By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA and SUSANNAH GEORGE, December 9, 2017

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/09/us-could-potentially-lose-next-war-to-russia-or-china-warns-rand.html
    US forces could potentially lose next war to Russia or China, warns sobering Rand report

Have a Really Great Friday
    Roger

More snowy irony!

Glad it's only a small segment of the avocado crop affected. Still I feel bad for those farmers.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hiya!! :)
    Been to the gym, just finished my lunch...gonna sit in my chair, put my head on my desk and catch a quick nap. Will have dinner quite late tonite. I should look to see what I've got. I know there are mixed grains left...and salad stuff, and about h alf a cup of split pea soup that would work for a sauce...hmmmmm. Maybe steam some veg's... OK, dinner solved!

Roads appear to be cleared....at least the ones on the way to the gym. Saw the cutest snow peeps, made most likely by a very industrious child...the whole family in snow, including the crawling baby!! Cute.

I'd read that article about the avo's...looked today while in the Mex. Market...$1.79. They still haven't come down as much as they will...and since the ones from there carry labels saying they are a producto of Mexico...maybe at least the ones I eat will be 'reasonable'. I too feel for the poor farmers. Their profit margins aren't big enough to carry a loss like this may well be.

Ok, nap time is ticking a.www.a..yyyyy!!
    Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2017
    We got the branches mostly off the roof today. Since the smallest one wasn't propped on the fence at one end, I was able to lift it off and move it out of the way, behind some outdoor plant shelves, fairly easily.

The larger one required a bit more work. I tried to saw it into two pieces, but after getting a bit more than halfway through the weight was making the wood bend enough to make the saw stick. I tried again from the other side of the branch with the same results and I sawed some of its smaller branches to see if that helped but some ominous creaking from the fence made me worry that it would break a board or two off if it came down at that angle.

J came out and I went to the other side of the fence, in the neighboring yard, (house is vacant, for sale) to see if I could lift it off the fence and push it over enough to fall down without breaking any boards.

This succeeded better than I'd hoped, as the place where I had tried to cut through snapped. There wan't a lot left in the middle but I just hadn't been able to cut it.

When it snapped, J and I were easily able to pull and push the big, heavy, tree end away from the fence enough, and he was able to reach most of what was on the roof. One small branch is still hanging off the edge of the roof but it's nothing to worry about. There were two but I was able to snag one via its fork and drag it off.

The remaining one would be easy enough to get by standing on a chair so when it's a bit more dry out there I will get out there with a chair or step stool and get it down if it nature doesn't do it for me first.

A few scratches and pokes, as I had some difficult negotiations with a smilax vine in the neighboring yard, but I consider it a very successful effort.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 38 out there now with an expected high of 45 and 0% chance of precipitation.

I'm on my second mug of tea now. Need to get the sink cleared and probably get some laundry done.

We're supposed to get our "fall" furnace checkup this afternoon. The window of time for the visit is 12:00 to 6:00 which is rather annoyingly long.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    juSF8O.jpg

NG27Xr.gif

jvmkpo.gif

QLXsMP.gif

xiIUes.jpg

0RPRyu.gif

OsSO3P.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Didn't quite get the concept right.

m4z7k3tvoouw.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning + 10 Cents. The temperature this morning was 35 on the porch and 44 on the cable channel. I did see Deer in two locations, Two running alongside of the road and one in a different area running across the road in front of me.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/12/09/after-century-largest-catholic-church-north-america-finally-complete/937410001/
    After a century, the largest Catholic church in North America is finally complete
    Sharon Samber | Updated 12:29 p.m. ET Dec. 9, 2017

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/amazon-drivers-forced-deliver-200-11668823
    English Amazon drivers forced to deliver 200 parcels a day with no time for toilet breaks while earning less than minimum wage
    By Dan Warburton, Updated11:11, 10 DEC 2017

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2017/12/09/best-and-worst-u-s-cities-driving-annual-waze-rankings/937536001/
    Best and worst U.S. cities for driving: Annual Waze rankings
    USA TODAY Published 1:39 p.m. ET Dec. 9, 2017

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/12/10/weak-14-nfl-stadiums-continue-ghost-towns-attendance-crisis-cintinues/
    Weak 14: NFL Stadiums Look Like Ghost Towns As Attendance Crisis Continues
    By Warner Todd Huston10 Dec 2017

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article188987144.html#fmp
    Millions gained coverage since Obamacare, but many are worse off as premiums soar
    By Daniel Chang, December 09, 2017 05:44 PM

'Bitcoin crash' among 2018 worries for financial markets, Deutsche Bank warns
    Kevin McCoy, USA TODAY | Updated 2:33 p.m. ET Dec. 8, 2017

Have a Really Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    My current facebook profile picture, me as a jolly old elf.

w1nddq8f4ca0.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hiya!! :)
    Been to the gym, just finished my lunch...gonna sit in my chair, put my head on my desk and catch a quick nap. Will have dinner quite late tonite. I should look to see what I've got. I know there are mixed grains left...and salad stuff, and about half a cup of split pea soup that would work for a sauce...hmmmmm. Maybe steam some veg's... OK, dinner solved!

Roads appear to be cleared....at least the ones on the way to the gym. Saw the cutest snow peeps, made most likely by a very industrious child...the whole family in snow, including the crawling baby!! Cute.

I'd read that article about the avo's...looked today while in the Mex. Market...$1.79. They still haven't come down as much as they will...and since the ones from there carry labels saying they are a producto of Mexico...maybe at least the ones I eat will be 'reasonable'. I too feel for the poor farmers. Their profit margins aren't big enough to carry a loss like this may well be.

Ok, nap time is ticking a.www.a..yyyyy!!
    Later...

Hi Valerie
    I'm not surprised that the Your roads were clear, it is early in the year for snow to linger.

Snow Peeps, Interesting. My first Thought was Peeps as in the yellow ones sold for Easter and then as indicating people :)

Since You buy Avocados I hope that the price stays reasonable.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    Worst "as seen on TV" product EVER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-DsyQcizCg
  • parityanimal
    What NOT to buy at Aldi? At least their opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqA652nn0Js
  • RogerToo
    We got the branches mostly off the roof today. Since the smallest one wasn't propped on the fence at one end, I was able to lift it off and move it out of the way, behind some outdoor plant shelves, fairly easily.

The larger one required a bit more work. I tried to saw it into two pieces, but after getting a bit more than halfway through the weight was making the wood bend enough to make the saw stick. I tried again from the other side of the branch with the same results and I sawed some of its smaller branches to see if that helped but some ominous creaking from the fence made me worry that it would break a board or two off if it came down at that angle.

J came out and I went to the other side of the fence, in the neighboring yard, (house is vacant, for sale) to see if I could lift it off the fence and push it over enough to fall down without breaking any boards.

This succeeded better than I'd hoped, as the place where I had tried to cut through snapped. There wasn't a lot left in the middle but I just hadn't been able to cut it.

When it snapped, J and I were easily able to pull and push the big, heavy, tree end away from the fence enough, and he was able to reach most of what was on the roof. One small branch is still hanging off the edge of the roof but it's nothing to worry about. There were two but I was able to snag one via its fork and drag it off.

The remaining one would be easy enough to get by standing on a chair so when it's a bit more dry out there I will get out there with a chair or step stool and get it down if it nature doesn't do it for me first.

A few scratches and pokes, as I had some difficult negotiations with a smilax vine in the neighboring yard, but I consider it a very successful effort.
    Hi Ed
    That sounds as if it went well getting the branch off of the roof.

No damage then ?

Curiosity overwhelms me, Smilax Vine, Is that a Thorny type ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal

This succeeded better than I'd hoped, as the place where I had tried to cut through snapped. There wasn't a lot left in the middle but I just hadn't been able to cut it.

Hi Ed

No damage then ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger

I didn't see any damage, and I'm sure the relative lightness of the branches and the piled up snow already on the roof helped to avoid that The largest branch did narrowly avoid hitting one of the vent pipes, and was not far to the left of the chimney but missed them so it all looks good.

Smilax, also known as Greenbrier, is an evil, thorny, aggressive weed. A woody vine that gets into hedges and fencerows and is a bit of trouble to kill. There were several vines in the neighboring yard, in the undergrowth, near the fence, and they were all three climbing small trees/shrubs to make their own little Smilax fence a yard or so before the wooden fence. I finally managed to get around them at the upper end, near the gate to the neighboring back yard, by squeezing past some trimmed Crepe Myrtle trees but by that time the Smilax had already won and the damage was done. I didn't have anything with me to snip it to get it out of the way as it hadn't occurred to me that it might be there, though it should have as I've seen it along the line closer to the road.

One doesn't just grab Smilax with bare hands and snap it. It's too woody and tough for that, even though quite thin, as vines go. Not to mention the lovely, very sharp thorns that are spaced close enough together to make it impossible to find a bare patch big enough to grab. So without a snipper, there wasn't any way I was getting past that stuff directly.

At any rate, the damage was minimal and the cuts will heal quickly.
  • RogerToo

Hi Ed

No damage then ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger

I didn't see any damage, and I'm sure the relative lightness of the branches and the piled up snow already on the roof helped to avoid that The largest branch did narrowly avoid hitting one of the vent pipes, and was not far to the left of the chimney but missed them so it all looks good.

Smilax, also known as Greenbrier, is an evil, thorny, aggressive weed. A woody vine that gets into hedges and fencerows and is a bit of trouble to kill. There were several vines in the neighboring yard, in the undergrowth, near the fence, and they were all three climbing small trees/shrubs to make their own little Smilax fence a yard or so before the wooden fence. I finally managed to get around them at the upper end, near the gate to the neighboring back yard, by squeezing past some trimmed Crepe Myrtle trees but by that time the Smilax had already won and the damage was done. I didn't have anything with me to snip it to get it out of the way as it hadn't occurred to me that it might be there, though it should have as I've seen it along the line closer to the road.

One doesn't just grab Smilax with bare hands and snap it. It's too woody and tough for that, even though quite thin, as vines go. Not to mention the lovely, very sharp thorns that are spaced close enough together to make it impossible to find a bare patch big enough to grab. So without a snipper, there wasn't any way I was getting past that stuff directly.

At any rate, the damage was minimal and the cuts will heal quickly.

Hi Again
    Thank You for the information on the Weed Vine. It almost sounds like a job for Roundup this spring :)

We do have long handled loppers that can cut through branches up to a couple of inches thick :) They sound like what You needed for the Smilax.

You were lucky with that branch from the sound of it.

I have saved and started reusing the Ersatz Gingerbread house picture You posted, Good one.

Cheers
    Roger