Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Its 9:11 a.m....and it looks like it may be tapering off and a little brighter than it was an hour ago when it was 'dark' and the flakes were coming fast and they were huge!

And Ed, I had to get out and get my trash can and recycle box...both wearing a 'white hat' of at least 2 inches of snow. And in the mailbox was my SS notification saying we'd be getting a 2% increase. Funny how little 2% is when you start with near nothingness!! And since we didn't get increase last year its sorta more like 1%.

I hope we get some fast melting today. Tomorrow is a hockey morning, and I"d really like to go.....there is only one more game this year. So...need to see some really nice warming happening. Little sunshine wouldn't hurt my feelings either!
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    We keep having intermittent power blinks. Sometimes for just a moment, sometimes for a few minutes. If this keeps up for the day, I may be eating a can of cold tuna fish or sardines with crackers for lunch.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Stopped for breakfast! :)
    Ed hope you can get that branch down, and don't find any damage.
    Roger, I didn't 'break' my weather rock...it was just suffering a white out!! :)
    That is so funny about them closing the man made snow on 'Snow Mountain"...this is not the first time they've had to close it. I'm guessing its because someone may get injured getting back up the hill or a similar issue.
    I'm guessing, having not seen your news cast Roger, that the snow shot you saw of Atlanta was Centennial Park, where the fair was. They put up a huge ferris wheel there, as well as other attractions like The World of Coke, the Aquarium, etc. And I just noticed while I was fixing my breakfast that more snow is happening, and best of all...the temp must have come up, cuz there is melting happening out there!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 25 out there now and looking toward a sunny high of 42 with 0% chance of precipitation.

Hopefully the rest of the snow will melt off today.

I need to get out to Walgreens to pick up a prescription, and while out may hop into Aldi to see if they have any milk. I'm not out but I opened the last container so it's on the list. If they have any canned soup that calls out to me I may get some of that too.

I ordered in last night. Chinese. I ate the soup and a small portion of twice cooked pork with pork fried rice. More of the pork this morning for breakfast, and there's enough left for lunch and maybe a small snack or possibly even dinner.

I can recall a time in my life when I'd have eaten up that whole delivery easily, but no more! I generally get two to four meals now, depending on exactly what type of thing I ordered. If it's a combo, I'll surely get two. Maybe three. Last night it was a la carte, so the entree and rice might have been a bit bigger, each, and I knew when I opened it that it would be three or four meals for me.

I usually get a combo, which is a main dish, fried rice, egg roll, and your choice of egg drop or hot and sour soup, but last night, since I was ordering for just one person, and had to meet the $15 minimum, I assembled my own GIANT "combo" with no egg roll, which is probably a better idea anyway. I love egg rolls but they are rather calorie laden. I suppose I could have placed an order of egg rolls too, but a regular order is TWO egg rolls and I would have had to warm the second one up in the toaster oven unless I had ONLY egg rolls and soup for dinner. That actually sounds pretty good for dinner but oh, the sodium and fat!

Need to feed the cats and get more rest. This cold is progressing in a fairly normal fashion, as far as I can tell, but that means, of course, the sore throat and sinus isn't quite through with me yet, nor the cough. I do, for the moment, have a bit of voice today so I don't have to speak toad frog.

Of course that can be temporary to, depending on how much one uses the voice during a cold. LOL.

Later gators.
  • parityanimal
    edited December 2017
    McDonald's french fries copy cat recipe? I'd think you could get the thin slices he wants using a mandolin if you have one, rather than by hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9GGW6KsAo
  • parityanimal
    Early American Christmas cookies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD2a-0X5mMU&t=2s
  • parityanimal
    Kids try 100 years of pastries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPMFz_7jWM
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    U7C9Xd.jpg

t3gp42.jpg

Rj5OXO.gif

oV62Fb.jpg

pPkoDW.gif

ivpb3h.jpg
    OOPS

OlUkkw.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2017
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning + 1 Cent and the footing was snow over a crunchy surface. The temperature this morning was 28 on the porch and 29 on the cable channel. The Weather forecast for yesterday regarding snow arriving came true. From what I could see the depth is around 3 inches.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/scientists-capture-mysterious-hum-coming-11660498
    Scientists capture mysterious hum from deep inside the Earth - but no one knows what it is
    By Sophie Curtis Technology and Science Editor Updated18:34, 8 DEC 2017

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-war-on-christmas-.-.-.-parties-that-is/article/2010774
    The War on Christmas . . . Parties, That Is
    4:00 AM, Dec 08, 2017 | By Matt Labash

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/wolf-whistling-and-sexist-remarks-could-become-a-hate-crime-in-london-a3713291.html
    Wolf whistling and sexist remarks could become hate crimes in London
    Francesca Gillett

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/12/08/hackers-spy-kids-toys/
    Researchers: Hackers Can Spy On Kids Through Some Holiday Toys
    December 8, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Have a Really Great Sunday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning + 1 Cent and the footing was snow over a crunchy surface. The temperature this morning was 28 on the porch and 29 on the cable channel. The Weather forecast for yesterday regarding snow arriving came true. From what I could see the depth is around 3 inches.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/scientists-capture-mysterious-hum-coming-11660498
    Scientists capture mysterious hum from deep inside the Earth - but no one knows what it is

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-war-on-christmas-.-.-.-parties-that-is/article/2010774

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/wolf-whistling-and-sexist-remarks-could-become-a-hate-crime-in-london-a3713291.html
    Francesca Gillett

Roger

Things that make you go ... hmmmmmm. Or make the earth hum! Aliens?

I think the war on OFFICE Christmas parties is probably a good idea. I know in my younger days I said and did some things, when drunk, that I later regretted. Not at our office parties, since ours didn't have any alcohol (except maybe in some of the dessert cakes or candy) but at other parties or in bars.

On the wolf whistling being a hate crime...well, hard to think about. I never did that sort of thing myself, but I know some of my female friends liked it and some didn't. If the person isn't one of your friends and you don't know anything about them, then best to not do it, in my opinion. Even if you DO know them, some might appreciate it from a friend but not so much from that leering maniac or dirty old man on the street corner, who might think it's OK if you did it, so they do it too. Probably best to just not do it in public at all, but really, a HATE CRIME? That seems a bit much.

Hackers spying through kid toys. Well, no surprise there. Since they can spy through our smart appliances and know when we are out of milk or eggs, and can tell when our dinner is ready, I'm not surprised that they can spy through kid toys too.

• RogerToo
    Well, now that it's brighter out I can see that a branch from a neighbor's pine tree came down and is lying across the fence and part of the roof of our house. It's not what I'd call a really large branch but I won't be able to assess whether there is any roof damage until later. It's small enough that I can hope there won't be much, if any damage, and I'm pretty sure I can get it down without having to call anyone to cut it down for me. But I'll make that assessment when it's a bit warmer and dryer out there...I will shine the light around in the attic again though.
    Hi Ed
    Hopefully There is no damage and non occur when removing it.
    We keep having intermittent power blinks. Sometimes for just a moment, sometimes for a few minutes. If this keeps up for the day, I may be eating a can of cold tuna fish or sardines with crackers for lunch.
    Did the power stay on long term with no long outages ?
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 25 out there now and looking toward a sunny high of 42 with 0% chance of precipitation.

Hopefully the rest of the snow will melt off today.

I need to get out to Walgreens to pick up a prescription, and while out may hop into Aldi to see if they have any milk. I'm not out but I opened the last container so it's on the list. If they have any canned soup that calls out to me I may get some of that too.

I ordered in last night. Chinese. I ate the soup and a small portion of twice cooked pork with pork fried rice. More of the pork this morning for breakfast, and there's enough left for lunch and maybe a small snack or possibly even dinner.

I can recall a time in my life when I'd have eaten up that whole delivery easily, but no more! I generally get two to four meals now, depending on exactly what type of thing I ordered. If it's a combo, I'll surely get two. Maybe three. Last night it was a la carte, so the entree and rice might have been a bit bigger, each, and I knew when I opened it that it would be three or four meals for me.

I usually get a combo, which is a main dish, fried rice, egg roll, and your choice of egg drop or hot and sour soup, but last night, since I was ordering for just one person, and had to meet the $15 minimum, I assembled my own GIANT "combo" with no egg roll, which is probably a better idea anyway. I love egg rolls but they are rather calorie laden. I suppose I could have placed an order of egg rolls too, but a regular order is TWO egg rolls and I would have had to warm the second one up in the toaster oven unless I had ONLY egg rolls and soup for dinner. That actually sounds pretty good for dinner but oh, the sodium and fat!
    The crunch underfoot as I was walking made me think that it was colder out there than shown on the Thermometer and TV showed this morning before I headed out. There were a few icy spots that I had to be careful walking and there was a mild breeze. I also took along cutters and cleared out some Big weed branches that were blocking the sidewalk, You may be wondering why I did not do it earlier ? The cutters resurfaced yesterday from where they had fallen under the ladder stored in the laundry room :)

Since I use the Dollar Store milk that does not need refrigeration until opened I always have spares on the shelf. The last one my Brother picked up yesterday since he was going past it is marked with a best sell by date of 30 October, 2018. It will be used well before that naturally. I tend to keep on in the refrigerator to chill for when I am ready to open it for use on the cereal and two on the Pantry shelf.

I'm with You about the Chinese, I used to order the large size of any Entree with a side of a large order of Spare Ribs for example and Egg Rolls :( Now I order the small size of anything and ask for the sauce on the side so I use less of it. Locally all the Chinese Lunch come with Pork Fried Rice and choice of Soup, and Dinner Specials come with Pork Fried Rice and Egg Roll. Egg Rolls and Spring Rolls are ordered with one of them. The Diet menu comes with White or Brown Rice and Garlic Sauce on the Side FWIW for comparison.
    Need to feed the cats and get more rest. This cold is progressing in a fairly normal fashion, as far as I can tell, but that means, of course, the sore throat and sinus isn't quite through with me yet, nor the cough. I do, for the moment, have a bit of voice today so I don't have to speak toad frog.

Of course that can be temporary to, depending on how much one uses the voice during a cold. LOL.

Later gators.
    I'm glad to hear You are feeling better. Save The voice :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited December 2017
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi

Francesca Gillett

Roger

Things that make you go ... hmmmmmm. Or make the earth hum! Aliens?

I think the war on OFFICE Christmas parties is probably a good idea. I know in my younger days I said and did some things, when drunk, that I later regretted. Not at our office parties, since ours didn't have any alcohol (except maybe in some of the dessert cakes or candy) but at other parties or in bars.

On the wolf whistling being a hate crime...well, hard to think about. I never did that sort of thing myself, but I know some of my female friends liked it and some didn't. If the person isn't one of your friends and you don't know anything about them, then best to not do it, in my opinion. Even if you DO know them, some might appreciate it from a friend but not so much from that leering maniac or dirty old man on the street corner, who might think it's OK if you did it, so they do it too. Probably best to just not do it in public at all, but really, a HATE CRIME? That seems a bit much.

Hackers spying through kid toys. Well, no surprise there. Since they can spy through our smart appliances and know when we are out of milk or eggs, and can tell when our dinner is ready, I'm not surprised that they can spy through kid toys too.
    Hi Again
    As I was posting the last reply I had the pop up You had posted :0

I could tell them what the Hum in the earth is, My tongue in cheek theory is that it is the Motor that keeps the planet spinning.

I am ambivalent with the office parties, The Liability from serving too much booze is most likely driving it. OTOH is it the start of killing them off ?

Hate Crime seems to me to be pandering. Everything between sexes seems to be under attack, You can't tell someone they look nice today or that You like the new hair style / color even. You could be in trouble for holding the door for someone if they decide You are calling them to feeble to do it themselves these days. I am exaggerating slightly of course :)

Not just kids toys, Now that Baby Monitors connect to the internet and have video and two way voice capability they have been exploited too. I have resigned myself to the fact that privacy as it once was in extinct. People are too sensitive, there was a segment on last nights news.
    https://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/criminalizing-photography/
    Q.
    It seems like photographing in public is becoming a crime.
    A.
    Literally every day, someone is being arrested for doing nothing more than taking a photograph in a public place. It makes no sense to me. Photography is an expression of free speech.

That is despite this
    https://www.clickinmoms.com/blog/street-photography-and-the-law-7-things-you-need-to-know/
    Street photography and the law: 7 things you need to know
    More via the links.

I have no interest in having things that are being called the Internet of Things. I do not need my Refrigerator and thermostat connected.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Dear heaven, they have a Santa AND a snowman version of this horrific inflatable monstrosity. I understand the snowman is 12 feet tall...I suppose the Santa is too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5z21RlohZk
  • RogerToo
    Its 9:11 a.m....and it looks like it may be tapering off and a little brighter than it was an hour ago when it was 'dark' and the flakes were coming fast and they were huge!

And Ed, I had to get out and get my trash can and recycle box...both wearing a 'white hat' of at least 2 inches of snow. And in the mailbox was my SS notification saying we'd be getting a 2% increase. Funny how little 2% is when you start with near nothingness!! And since we didn't get increase last year its sorta more like 1%.

I hope we get some fast melting today. Tomorrow is a hockey morning, and I"d really like to go.....there is only one more game this year. So...need to see some really nice warming happening. Little sunshine wouldn't hurt my feelings either!

Hi Valerie
    The Snow ended overnight as predicted, Currently it is a Bright Day and Very Pretty out there.

You are ahead of me, I wonder if they will cancel out the 2% with a increase in the Medicare cost ?
    From what the new last said Georgia was the worst state for power outages.
    Stopped for breakfast! :)
    Ed hope you can get that branch down, and don't find any damage.
    Roger, I didn't 'break' my weather rock...it was just suffering a white out!! :)
    That is so funny about them closing the man made snow on 'Snow Mountain"...this is not the first time they've had to close it. I'm guessing its because someone may get injured getting back up the hill or a similar issue.
    I'm guessing, having not seen your news cast Roger, that the snow shot you saw of Atlanta was Centennial Park, where the fair was. They put up a huge ferris wheel there, as well as other attractions like The World of Coke, the Aquarium, etc. And I just noticed while I was fixing my breakfast that more snow is happening, and best of all...the temp must have come up, cuz there is melting happening out there!

Later...

If I said that they just said Atlanta and did not mention what part would You be surprised ?

In today's litigious atmosphere that exists worrying about the possibility of any liability has to be considered. I do wonder how many things never make it off of the drawing board as a result.

Hopefully Your Snow and Ours both melt away.
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning!
    This will be short (by whose standard??? LOL) I'm hungry and I know when I hit the kitchen there are chores in there, etc.
    I declined the Hockey game. Watched the news, saw pix and video, decided I was better off home. Jimmy Carter to 400 to Ice rink offers many spots for black ice, frozen bridges?, and roads I've traveled but not very familiar with...nope!! nope!! nopety! , nope!) Ed will understand where I'm traveling...AND that rink will be terribly cold today.
    I do hope to be out and about tomorrow though!

Roger wrote: We have a Mixed kitchen, Gas stove and Electric oven... yeah, what's with that? I had same when I lived in Marlton NJ. Thought it was the weirdest thing ever...and after a couple weeks, came to LOVE it! Immediate temp control stove top, and Electric ovens are Boss for even temp control. I sorta miss having both.

Ed, that Santa thing is scarier than most clowns! Yeah, lets scare the bejeebers outa little kids. Poor ole Santa scares a lot of them as it is.

And about whistles, car honks, photographs, and so much more...all pretty ridiculous right?

Well, while the Motor that keeps the earth spinning lasts I'm going to go fix food. Not sure it will be breakfast themed though. :) Just food...I'm hungry!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    tjl3d5apc9dh.jpg
  • RogerToo
    center]c22Dyr.gif

aS781q.jpg

aWA7vS.gif

3WwJjG.gif

yCfQC4.gif

W8WROf.gif

wbe2HW.gif
    [/center]
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking this Morning + 1 Quarter and the streets and sidewalks were dry except where the snow had been packed down. The temperature this morning was 35 on the porch and 34 on the cable channel. From what I could see the depth is of snow was around 3 inches, OTOH based on the snowfall totals We must have had over 4 inches. Much of that melted on the sidewalks and streets as it landed.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Snowball-Fight-Canceled-Due-to-Snow-Six-Flags-Great-Adventure-Jackson-New-Jersey-463032503.html
    Snowball Fight Canceled Due to Snow

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/california-avocados-hit-triple-whammy-fire-wind-ash-232736605.html
    California avocados hit with triple whammy of fire, wind and ash
    By Dan Whitcomb, Reuters December 8, 2017

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/12/08/modrn-day-witchcraft/
    Modern Day Witches Call Theirs ‘A Beautiful Way Of Life’
    December 8, 2017 at 11:53 pm

https://apnews.com/037f4ecce41a4e0fbbd176396f64a5fc/Iraq-says-its-war-against-IS-has-ended
    PM announces on state TV Iraq's war against IS has ended
    By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA and SUSANNAH GEORGE, December 9, 2017

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/09/us-could-potentially-lose-next-war-to-russia-or-china-warns-rand.html
    US forces could potentially lose next war to Russia or China, warns sobering Rand report

Have a Really Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning!
    This will be short (by whose standard??? LOL) I'm hungry and I know when I hit the kitchen there are chores in there, etc.
    I declined the Hockey game. Watched the news, saw pix and video, decided I was better off home. Jimmy Carter to 400 to Ice rink offers many spots for black ice, frozen bridges?, and roads I've traveled but not very familiar with...nope!! nope!! nopety! , nope!) Ed will understand where I'm traveling...AND that rink will be terribly cold today.
    I do hope to be out and about tomorrow though!

Roger wrote: We have a Mixed kitchen, Gas stove and Electric oven... yeah, what's with that? I had same when I lived in Marlton NJ. Thought it was the weirdest thing ever...and after a couple weeks, came to LOVE it! Immediate temp control stove top, and Electric ovens are Boss for even temp control. I sorta miss having both.

Ed, that Santa thing is scarier than most clowns! Yeah, lets scare the bejeebers outa little kids. Poor ole Santa scares a lot of them as it is.

And about whistles, car honks, photographs, and so much more...all pretty ridiculous right?

Well, while the Motor that keeps the earth spinning lasts I'm going to go fix food. Not sure it will be breakfast themed though. :) Just food...I'm hungry!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Sometimes being cautious pays, I always figure that if the benefit from driving in poor weather does not exceed the chance of wrecking the car to stay home if possible. That is not always possible of course as I have to pay for a missed doctors appointment.

AFAIK Professional Chefs like gas stoves for the fine temperature control they offer not to mention instant heat and off to stop cooking. And even with the power off a match gets the stove lit :)

If I said IMO PC has gone overboard, I suspect the pendulum will swing to the other extreme in the future as a reaction.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Hi Ed
  • parityanimal
    Kids try 100 years of British food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx84hZ7tKo4&t=2s