Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,312 Member
    Emmy tests The Great American Steakhouse blooming onion maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-yIoG7k2Jg
  • parityanimal
    TV shows that got cancelled after only ONE episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jApmIBCdA
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2018
    Cat has mind blown by sparkling water. She looks a lot like Kiara. Maybe we should see how Kiara would react to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGU33gboWME
  • parityanimal
    Didn't watch the Superb Owl but do usually enjoy the commercials, after the fact. Here's someone's pick on the top 10 funniest from 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8E1g-cHV5M
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    PdSOah.jpg

dngpak.gif

xgkVFO.jpg

1kOpBO.jpg

VYVzTx.jpg

7t0uFO.jpg

PNdnQF.jpg

5P6o8b.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking again and no cents. The temperature this morning was 26 on the porch and 31 on the cable news channel. The Snow in the forecast that should turn to rain has not yet started, thus the walking was OK, It would have been better without the mild breeze adding a wind chill :(

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article198441939.html
    ‘I wake up ... from nightmares:’ Why Whole Foods workers are hating life
    By Madeleine Marr
    February 05, 2018 12:16 PM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/banks-double-down-on-branch-cutbacks-1517826601
    Banks Shutter 1,700 Branches in Fastest Decline on Record
    Lenders keep cutting despite growing economy as customers move online
    By Rachel Louise Ensign, Christina Rexrode and Coulter Jones
    Updated Feb. 5, 2018 11:37 a.m. ET

https://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek-guts-its-top-edit-staff-amid-legal-turmoil/
    Newsweek Guts Its Top Edit Staff Amid Legal Turmoil
    Staffers who spoke to The Daily Beast on condition of anonymity pointed out that the fired editors had all published pieces reporting on the company’s recent troubles.
    Maxwell Tani, 02.05.18 1:29 PM ET

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/679780/Asda-Altrincham-fight-superstore-sandwich
    ‘Don’t fight over 10p SANDWICH’ Cops break up massive brawl in Asda reduced aisle

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 41 out there now with an expected high of 62 and 20% chance of precipitation.

I did get out to Aldi yesterday. Lunch yesterday was home made Mexican "pizza" made from two small flour tortillas each, fried crisp, and sandwiched with refried beans, topped with red enchilada sauce, and then sprinkled with Mexican blend cheese. Since there are 4 tortillas left, I could fry them for lunch today. I'll think about that.

Dinner last night was an appetizer (so-so) of battered, fried jalapeño slices with cream cheese yogurt ranch dip, and then red beans and rice. I had some microwave grilled kielbasa with my beans and rice. May eat the rest of the kielbasa for breakfast. Pondering.

Speaking of breakfast, best get on that.
    Hi Ed
    Hmm... I wonder how that would work as a nice thin crust for a regular Pizza ? I may try that the next time we have shredded Mozzarella in the house, I already have small pouches of tomato sauce. The other thing that could work when I think about it is the 60 calories low carb wraps as a base. The ShopRite has them in an assortment of flavors.
    TV shows that got cancelled after only ONE episode.
    That one sounds interesting, later when I am finished here on the forum and with my email :)

As I look out the window right now at 7:15 I see that the snow has arrived, It appears that I made it back to the house with a small margin of time ahead of the snow. Lucky me not having to go out into the rush hour and drive in snow.

Thanks for the Video Link
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi Valerie
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 59 out there now with an expected high of 60 and 100% chance of rain. As we were having thunderstorms when I got up, several hours ago, I can verify the prediction.

I've been up for hours but distracted by an interesting geometry problem one of my high school teachers posted on facebook. I think I came up with the correct answer but it took some thinking and a bit of calculating.

Need to clear the sink and then start pondering lunch options I guess.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Kids try snacks from India.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX1q1NLwznY
  • parityanimal
    National champion chili recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tYFPbEUV-M
  • parityanimal
    The most popular cake the year you were born! Haven't watched it yet, so not sure if they really go back to the stone ages...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBu8AGQxP2I
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Hi!
    Roger did I miss yesterday? I sorely wish I had missed at least a good part of yesterday!
    Went to the gym, saw several fun old members (long time members, not necessary aged one). felt good after working out, decided to go on to Whole Foods (next time there I'll look for stressed workers), and picked up !!!???Yep, chicken fried tofu, some lacto kale, a bag salad, a pre-cooked meat substitute made by the Ives company....I used to eat their burgers, which were tasty 10-14 years ago when I was a vegetarian..anyhow, got me and groceries into the car headed for home. As I was about 2 miles from home, it dawned on me that I didn't know where my phone was..I couldn't feel it in my pockets, at stop lights I checked my purse, I was getting nervous....turned to go up the last street before my subdivision, and it was slammed, all lanes, no moving cars..And I really was about to panic...spent next 20+ minutes sitting in traffic...finally home, stuff in frig, double checked for phone...not to be found...went back to Whole Foods, about a 20 minute drive...and my phone had been turned in to the front desk! Talk about relief...yikes. Made it back home just in time for a 4p phone chat with DS1!!!
    THAT was my day yesterday...oh, it didn't help that the only thing I'd had to eat all day was one medium sized banana....... But I'd gone down WF salad bar, so at 6p when I hung up from the Tues Chat, my salad was ready, and I reheated the Tofu while I was eating salad. Food never tasted so good! LOL... Went to bed earlier than usual, just to end the day!

Today I've paid a couple bills, roasted a ton of veggies...though you might say I burned the last pan they are special black brussels sprouts and radishes...oh well...I still have roasted sliced sweet potatoes, onion, parsnips, carrots, fennel, turnips, and....I'm sure I'm leaving something out....all good except that last pan, which most likely will go into the garbage.

Today has been a day of rain...some thunder...more rain..etc. Tom E. suffered thru the rain..he so wanted outside, but two steps onto the screened porch, and he'd back up, one paw at a time, quite slowly. The rain has seemingly has stopped, and he's out there somewhere....hope he's at least somewhat dry!!

Enjoyed the vid's and news articles, and comics/memes. Was great for a rainy Wednesday afternoon.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    kV6XP4.png

6RlLAz.png

tVqElK.jpg

2ElTAl.jpg

W7mqaV.png

3yEtiJ.png

mzhKwk.png
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking again and 1 cent. The temperature this morning was 27 on the porch and 28 on the cable news channel. The Snow yesterday turned to rain and by 7PM all the snow was melted away by the rain. I did have to detour slightly around a few icy spots on the sidewalks, overall everything had dried out by the time I left to go walking.

The scale was nicely lower than yesterday morning, again, It seems that the "Time-restricted eating" combined with a 100% NS plan is working really well so far. Whee
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/time-restricted-eating

https://apnews.com/45eab024a5994b57b699eac8b00d4007/Rare-dinosaur-discovery-in-Egypt-could-signal-more-finds
    [bRare dinosaur discovery in Egypt could signal more finds
    By MAGGIE HYDE[/b]

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/fort-worth-father-now-an-amputee-after-flu-complications/514719012
    Fort Worth father now an amputee after flu complications

http://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san-francisco/article/The-secret-lives-of-part-time-Bay-Area-professors-12529299.php
    Secret lives of Bay Area part-time profs: Here's why they work at Safeway, live out of cars
    Ted Andersen, SFGATE Updated 5:18 pm, Monday, February 5, 2018

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/02/06/electric-shock-brain-boosts-memory-15-per-cent/
    Electric shock to the brain boosts memory '15 per cent'

https://nypost.com/2018/02/06/cops-realize-tiger-is-stuffed-animal-after-45-minute-standoff/
    Cops realize tiger is stuffed animal after 45-minute standoff

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 59 out there now with an expected high of 60 and 100% chance of rain. As we were having thunderstorms when I got up, several hours ago, I can verify the prediction.

I've been up for hours but distracted by an interesting geometry problem one of my high school teachers posted on facebook. I think I came up with the correct answer but it took some thinking and a bit of calculating.

Need to clear the sink and then start pondering lunch options I guess.
    Hi Ed
    Our forecast came true too. Not nearly as warm as Your area here, At least we had no Thunderstorms :)

I'm not sure how well I would do with higher math these days, When You do not use it You lose it.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi!
    Roger did I miss yesterday? I sorely wish I had missed at least a good part of yesterday!
    Went to the gym, saw several fun old members (long time members, not necessary aged one). felt good after working out, decided to go on to Whole Foods (next time there I'll look for stressed workers), and picked up !!!???Yep, chicken fried tofu, some lacto kale, a bag salad, a pre-cooked meat substitute made by the Ives company....I used to eat their burgers, which were tasty 10-14 years ago when I was a vegetarian..anyhow, got me and groceries into the car headed for home. As I was about 2 miles from home, it dawned on me that I didn't know where my phone was..I couldn't feel it in my pockets, at stop lights I checked my purse, I was getting nervous....turned to go up the last street before my subdivision, and it was slammed, all lanes, no moving cars..And I really was about to panic...spent next 20+ minutes sitting in traffic...finally home, stuff in frig, double checked for phone...not to be found...went back to Whole Foods, about a 20 minute drive...and my phone had been turned in to the front desk! Talk about relief...yikes. Made it back home just in time for a 4p phone chat with DS1!!!
    THAT was my day yesterday...oh, it didn't help that the only thing I'd had to eat all day was one medium sized banana....... But I'd gone down WF salad bar, so at 6p when I hung up from the Tues Chat, my salad was ready, and I reheated the Tofu while I was eating salad. Food never tasted so good! LOL... Went to bed earlier than usual, just to end the day!
    Hi Valerie
    What is Lacto Kale ? That is something I have never heard of. I have misplaced the phone, luckily only in the house where I could have my brother call it so I could trace the ringing :)

I have heard that working for Amazon is tough so I am not surprised to hear that Whole Foods workers are stressed since the purchase by Amazon.

Fortunately the pockets on the clothes I wear are nice and deep so that I do not generally lose things out of them. I would think that You were indeed lucky that the people are honest where You are. In NYC the lowlifes seem to steal phones.
    Today I've paid a couple bills, roasted a ton of veggies...though you might say I burned the last pan they are special black Brussels sprouts and radishes...oh well...I still have roasted sliced sweet potatoes, onion, parsnips, carrots, fennel, turnips, and....I'm sure I'm leaving something out....all good except that last pan, which most likely will go into the garbage.

Today has been a day of rain...some thunder...more rain..etc. Tom E. suffered thru the rain..he so wanted outside, but two steps onto the screened porch, and he'd back up, one paw at a time, quite slowly. The rain has seemingly has stopped, and he's out there somewhere....hope he's at least somewhat dry!!

Enjoyed the vid's and news articles, and comics/memes. Was great for a rainy Wednesday afternoon.

Later...

Paying bills, not my favorite pastime.
    I like the Brussels sprouts nicely browned, I like my toast when it gets bits of blackening on it.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 33 out there now with an expected high of 57 and 0% chance of precipitation.

I've been up for quite a while, but distracted by breakfast, and then replacing the battery in my Uninterruptible Power Supply under my desk. The cats really got excited about Eddie rummaging around under the desk, pulling things out and putting things back and Kiara really tried to help me with the actual battery replacement, with the device upside down on the kitchen table. Fortunately this particular UPS is quite easy to change the battery in, as I just had to slide the cover off, pull the old battery, move the cables from the old to the new and pop the new one in place. Then slide the cover back on and done!

Even Lilo, though, at 15, was dashing around and all excited by this and even chasing Dinah around, which was a totally new experience to Dinah who was a bit startled by that, as Lilo usually mostly ignores her, other than to either sniff her nose or hiss at her if they happen to get close together on the floor.

But that's done. Need to get the sink cleared, and possibly get out to Ingles today, to pick up a few things. At Aldi yesterday they had brought in this year's (apparently) shipment of Fusia (Aldi brand) Asian noodle bowls, frozen Spring rolls, crab Rangoon, etc, so I picked up four of the spicy Mongolian noodle bowls for J, some vegetable spring rolls, and one package of crab Rangoon (for me) along with half of what I went in for.

I had planned to get dishwashing tablets (which I got) and a block of Clancy's (Aldi brand) Cheese Melt, which is their answer to Velveeta. I forgot the cheese but I can get the Lara Lynn (Ingles brand) knock off if I go to Ingles today. There are some differences, of course, between the three brands, and also the Kroger brand, but overall they are all similar enough that I am not picky about which one I have on hand. I just like to have one of them available for when I want that creamy, salty, cheesy, smooth, melty quality. I'm not entirely out, so there is no hurry on the cheese, but it was on my mind to get some at Aldi since I was going in anyway.

The only reason I was out at all yesterday though, was to return a glass lid. I had ordered, on Amazon, a 10 1/4 inch tempered glass lid (Lodge) for my larger cast iron skillet. When it arrived though, they had sent the 12 inch lid instead. While that would have fit my 7 quart dutch oven, it already has a heavy, cast iron lid. If I actually used that dutch oven much, at least on stovetop, I could possibly see a use for a glass lid as well, for times I wanted to see what was going on in the pot without having to take the lid off, but it wouldn't have fit any other pan I currently have and I couldn't see keeping one more glass lid that I can't currently use. So I filled out all the return stuff on Amazon, printed the label, boxed it back up and popped out to the nearest UPS store, conveniently less than a mile away and pretty much across the street from Aldi. Luckily the rain had stopped so it wasn't too terrible getting out, and I was able to avoid the main roads, though this did mean passing the school up the street, at 25 mph for a short distance. I probably would have passed the school anyway, though I could have gone around it, as that IS the shortest route.

So I have re-ordered the glass lid. This time, to avoid any snafu with the wrong item being pulled at Amazon, I ordered directly from Lodge Manufacturing. A little bit more on the price, but I hope they keep their stock arranged correctly. I figured at Amazon someone either had stocked the 12 inch lids where the 10 1/4 inch lids belonged, or someone just wasn't paying attention and grabbed from the wrong slot. And Amazon continues to use their own carrier, Amazon Logistics, to deliver things to me, though the subcontractors they hire are extremely unreliable, often very unprofessional, and apparently are not trained at all in proper delivery protocol or legal matters. They had used that carrier to deliver the lid and, while I will have to say that this particular item was properly delivered (though for some reason NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO RING THE *KITTEN* DOORBELL or even knock, I will usually hear them if they come to the front door anyway, even without the ring or knock. Still, is it so hard to ring or knock?

My issues, though, with AMZL (the delivery service mentioned) are that a good majority of the drivers don't even bring the package to the front door but leave it (according to what they post on the Amazon delivery page) "in a secure location" which has included:

tossed carelessly in the bushes where I almost couldn't find it

placed (ILLEGALLY) in the mailbox, where the postal carrier could legally confiscate it and make ME pay postage to collect it at the post office, even though it wasn't delivered by USPS

Left leaning on the garage door, or on a nearby table in front of the garage, usually in plain sight from the road if someone simply looks up the driveway, and this "secure location" is completely exposed to the weather.

The only "secure location" is actually where they are supposed to deliver the package anyway. At the front door, which is a covered walkway, out of the weather, not visible from the road, and has a convenient table on which to lay the package.

I've also had AMZL claim the package was handed to a person (when it was actually either in the mailbox or at the garage door) but, despite my frequent and vocal complaints to Amazon regarding this appalling delivery service, they continue to use it. I told them the last time it was left in the mailbox that if AMZL does that again, Amazon is likely to be losing a customer, and that they need to stop sweeping these complaints (from me, and apparently a lot of other people too) under the rug and pay attention.

They said they would "elevate" the issue. Hah.

Well, enough of that. Need to clear the sink and make another mug of tea, and consider feeding the cats.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    10 more ASOT product review updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTVX7WyGDc