Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,312 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm ready for dessert now. How it's made: Braided pastry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=155M2J0I-aE
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    N06Lb8.jpg

4pOyBH.jpg

9yCxsD.jpg

JmfNyK.jpg

VRuAAP.jpg

oACIR3.jpg

Qry0UB.jpg

6F9RAp.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking again and no cents. The temperature this morning was 19 on the porch and 25 on the cable news channel. The only good part of the temperature was that there was no windchill.

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-changing-sheets-linens/
    Survey: Average Person Washes Sheets Every 24 Days, But Single Men Wait More Than 6 Weeks!

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/06/hot-air-balloon-pursuit-yucaipa/
    A Hot Pursuit! Deputies Pull Over Hot Air Balloon In Yucaipa

http://www.ktva.com/story/37451580/naked-passenger-sends-alaska-airlines-flight-back-to-anchorage
    Naked passenger sends Alaska Airlines flight back to Anchorage

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/02/06/computer-virus-disrupts-city/
    Computer Virus Disrupts City Of Dallas Systems For Second Day

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-06/u-s-oil-heads-to-middle-east-in-latest-sign-of-shale-s-spread
    Oil World Turns Upside Down as U.S. Sells Oil in Middle East

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! 33 out there now with an expected high of 57 and 0% chance of precipitation.

I've been up for quite a while, but distracted by breakfast, and then replacing the battery in my Uninterruptible Power Supply under my desk. The cats really got excited about Eddie rummaging around under the desk, pulling things out and putting things back and Kiara really tried to help me with the actual battery replacement, with the device upside down on the kitchen table. Fortunately this particular UPS is quite easy to change the battery in, as I just had to slide the cover off, pull the old battery, move the cables from the old to the new and pop the new one in place. Then slide the cover back on and done!

Even Lilo, though, at 15, was dashing around and all excited by this and even chasing Dinah around, which was a totally new experience to Dinah who was a bit startled by that, as Lilo usually mostly ignores her, other than to either sniff her nose or hiss at her if they happen to get close together on the floor.

But that's done. Need to get the sink cleared, and possibly get out to Ingles today, to pick up a few things. At Aldi yesterday they had brought in this year's (apparently) shipment of Fusia (Aldi brand) Asian noodle bowls, frozen Spring rolls, crab Rangoon, etc, so I picked up four of the spicy Mongolian noodle bowls for J, some vegetable spring rolls, and one package of crab Rangoon (for me) along with half of what I went in for.
    Hi Ed
    The only Precip in our Friday's forecast is for snow in the northwest corner of NJ which is nowhere near here.
    Was the battery expensive, I ask as I have a UPS that the battery life is now down to nil. It is a older device and I have been undecided whether or not to bother as there is a possibility that the surge suppression feature has worn out.
    I had a second one where the battery was worn out too and when I went to unplug the battery the connector came off due to corrosion.

How do the Spring Rolls come out for You ? The ones from the Chinese Take-out are all Deep Fried as are the even smaller ones from the nearby Thai Restaurant.
    I had planned to get dishwashing tablets (which I got) and a block of Clancy's (Aldi brand) Cheese Melt, which is their answer to Velveeta. I forgot the cheese but I can get the Lara Lynn (Ingles brand) knock off if I go to Ingles today. There are some differences, of course, between the three brands, and also the Kroger brand, but overall they are all similar enough that I am not picky about which one I have on hand. I just like to have one of them available for when I want that creamy, salty, cheesy, smooth, melty quality. I'm not entirely out, so there is no hurry on the cheese, but it was on my mind to get some at Aldi since I was going in anyway.

The only reason I was out at all yesterday though, was to return a glass lid. I had ordered, on Amazon, a 10 1/4 inch tempered glass lid (Lodge) for my larger cast iron skillet. When it arrived though, they had sent the 12 inch lid instead. While that would have fit my 7 quart dutch oven, it already has a heavy, cast iron lid. If I actually used that dutch oven much, at least on stovetop, I could possibly see a use for a glass lid as well, for times I wanted to see what was going on in the pot without having to take the lid off, but it wouldn't have fit any other pan I currently have and I couldn't see keeping one more glass lid that I can't currently use. So I filled out all the return stuff on Amazon, printed the label, boxed it back up and popped out to the nearest UPS store, conveniently less than a mile away and pretty much across the street from Aldi. Luckily the rain had stopped so it wasn't too terrible getting out, and I was able to avoid the main roads, though this did mean passing the school up the street, at 25 mph for a short distance. I probably would have passed the school anyway, though I could have gone around it, as that IS the shortest route.
    Pretty much the only Velveeta I use are the 40 calorie slice. I have had decent luck with any erroneous product from Amazon's replacement. I rarely have a need for instant replacement and they will ship even before I ship the wrong item back. I have also had the experience where if the product is low cost they say keep it since the cost of the return shipping is higher than the item's cost. I actually take any UPS shipping direct to their customer service shipping counter they run at their Distribution center. Much closer than the FedEx Distro center.
    So I have re-ordered the glass lid. This time, to avoid any snafu with the wrong item being pulled at Amazon, I ordered directly from Lodge Manufacturing. A little bit more on the price, but I hope they keep their stock arranged correctly. I figured at Amazon someone either had stocked the 12 inch lids where the 10 1/4 inch lids belonged, or someone just wasn't paying attention and grabbed from the wrong slot. And Amazon continues to use their own carrier, Amazon Logistics, to deliver things to me, though the subcontractors they hire are extremely unreliable, often very unprofessional, and apparently are not trained at all in proper delivery protocol or legal matters. They had used that carrier to deliver the lid and, while I will have to say that this particular item was properly delivered (though for some reason NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO RING THE *KITTEN* DOORBELL or even knock, I will usually hear them if they come to the front door anyway, even without the ring or knock. Still, is it so hard to ring or knock?

My issues, though, with AMZL (the delivery service mentioned) are that a good majority of the drivers don't even bring the package to the front door but leave it (according to what they post on the Amazon delivery page) "in a secure location" which has included:

tossed carelessly in the bushes where I almost couldn't find it

placed (ILLEGALLY) in the mailbox, where the postal carrier could legally confiscate it and make ME pay postage to collect it at the post office, even though it wasn't delivered by USPS

Left leaning on the garage door, or on a nearby table in front of the garage, usually in plain sight from the road if someone simply looks up the driveway, and this "secure location" is completely exposed to the weather.

The only "secure location" is actually where they are supposed to deliver the package anyway. At the front door, which is a covered walkway, out of the weather, not visible from the road, and has a convenient table on which to lay the package.

I've also had AMZL claim the package was handed to a person (when it was actually either in the mailbox or at the garage door) but, despite my frequent and vocal complaints to Amazon regarding this appalling delivery service, they continue to use it. I told them the last time it was left in the mailbox that if AMZL does that again, Amazon is likely to be losing a customer, and that they need to stop sweeping these complaints (from me, and apparently a lot of other people too) under the rug and pay attention.

They said they would "elevate" the issue. Hah.

Well, enough of that. Need to clear the sink and make another mug of tea, and consider feeding the cats.
    They do not do as good a job as the USPS, UPS or FedEx in my experiences with them either. My Address states Deliver to inside porch as part of the address. The other three services all do that and I do hear the Doorbell for FedEx and UPS as well. The Neighbor gets a lot of items from Amazon. Yesterdays Amazon driver left the Van sitting at the curb with the door open and the radio blaring some of that modern Crud that passes for music these days.

One reason my address says deliver inside the porch is so that it is behind the Storm Door, Out of sight and protected from any inclement weather :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

34 out there now with an expected high of 60 and no chance of precipitation.

I've been up for a while but distracted by FaceBook and other internet stuff, and breakfast. This morning I oiled up the cast iron griddle and had corn cakes for breakfast with a couple of eggs. And since it's about impossible to make just a couple of corn cakes, I have four of them left for later. They were carefully cooled, stuck in a quart ziplock, and placed (for now) in the refrigerator. I'm going to see if J wants some of them as part of lunch and, if not, may freeze them or may just have some myself for lunch and finish them off for breakfast tomorrow.

Sink is cleared already but cats haven't been fed. I did not get out anywhere yesterday but might today. Then again, we will be out on Saturday anyway so if there's enough of everything to hold until then, I might just wait and go to the store on Saturday while we are out for orchid judging photography.

I'll take a look later and decide. Right now I'll take a look at YouTube and figure out today's video goodies.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Simon's Cat Valentine special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rplCCSqWXIY
  • parityanimal
    What some famous TV chefs just won't eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV6v-W8TToU
  • parityanimal
    Commercial parodies from 1984. Some adult themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXaz8u-vRm4
  • parityanimal
    edited February 2018
    Plants and fungi that might be in your back yard...that want to kill you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RWnkFaj5_s
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Was the battery expensive, I ask as I have a UPS that the battery life is now down to nil. It is a older device and I have been undecided whether or not to bother as there is a possibility that the surge suppression feature has worn out.
    I had a second one where the battery was worn out too and when I went to unplug the battery the connector came off due to corrosion.

How do the Spring Rolls come out for You ? The ones from the Chinese Take-out are all Deep Fried as are the even smaller ones from the nearby Thai Restaurant.

The battery was not terribly expensive, but of course was quite heavy, as these things tend to be.

I'm reasonably sure the frozen spring rolls were pre-cooked by deep frying, but when I heat them I do it in the toaster oven and they generally come out pretty nicely crispy for me. I know the ones I buy at the restaurants are deep fried. Of course the ones at the restaurants taste better. Not necessarily because they are fried, but because they are fresher, and besides, the frozen ones were generally fried too, at least for the first heating.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Friday, thank God!
    Morning progressing here...Tom E. and I have had our 'rocking/bonding' time :), mixed up his kibble rations for about a month, (several brands for various reasons). kitchen was cleaned up last night, and right now a block of tofu is being pressed, laundry is already on rinse, I seem to go thru a lot of dark clothes during the winter... and I've eaten my banana.
    Sweeper has been run, potty boxes cleaned, etc....

Plan a trip to the gym and after that I may come home, or I may make a return trip to Walmart, as I bought a little rug for my bathroom there yesterday, and I like the colors so well I may go back for a set of towels to match!
    After that, who knows????

I loved the meme about "My Goals"...sounds a lot like me? The article about shock treatment in the UK upsets me? Its barbaric.

I don't have the Amazon bunch that you all have??? Mine either comes from Amazon, or more likely Amazon ships UPS, and UPS hands it off to USPS...and that's where the problems start. You never know who has it, where they leave it, etc. Yesterday in my regular daily mail, I got a bank statement (no I didn't look inside) for my next door neighbors, sent her a text to let her know I'd put it into her mail box,...she texted back a TY, and said she made a trip to the PO this week with 3 pieces of mail that they'd left in her box that wasn't even from this street????
    We had a better USPS guy, but he got a new route, close to where he lives, etc. Right now it looks like we get whoever they can grab. Mail comes somewhere between 2:30 and 5:30. :(

Ok, while I'm still ready to get 'er' done I'm going for it....don't want to totally loose my momentum!!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    BOvJt6.gif

rerkG3.jpg

EZ0r8b.jpg

5dAD1B.jpg

EvGGJB.jpg
    Hmm...

Zfo3y9.gif

MGs8P2.gif

oYSs7t.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking again and 1 cent. The temperature this morning was 31 on the porch and 35 on the cable news channel. The the temperature is forecast to rise into the 50s with rain moving into the area later today. Tomorrow is forecast to be heavy rain :(

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/cutting-asparagus-could-prevent-spread-of-breast-cancer-study-shows
    Spread of breast cancer linked to compound in asparagus and other foods
    Using drugs or diet to reduce levels of asparagine may benefit patients, say researchers

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-fruit-apple-mango-baobab/
    Do You Know Your Fruit? 4 In 10 Mistake An Apple For A Mango, Survey Finds

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/08/bermuda-repeal-same-sex-marriage
    Bermuda becomes first jurisdiction in the world to repeal same-sex marriage

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/alabama/capn-crunch-battery-742903
    February 8, 2018
    Alabama Man, 52, Attacked Roommate Over Stale Cap'n Crunch Cereal, Cops Say

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/07/starbucks-drinks-had-blood/
    Family Sues Starbucks After Allegedly Being Served Drinks Containing Blood

http://bgr.com/2018/02/08/iphone-iboot-source-code-leak/
    Secret code from the iPhone was posted to Github in the ‘biggest leak in history’

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/police-description-sketch-led-to-arrest-warrant-for-man-accused/article_ca2b02a0-0b86-11e8-aaec-cb178f6f6dc7.html

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo

The battery was not terribly expensive, but of course was quite heavy, as these things tend to be.

I'm reasonably sure the frozen spring rolls were pre-cooked by deep frying, but when I heat them I do it in the toaster oven and they generally come out pretty nicely crispy for me. I know the ones I buy at the restaurants are deep fried. Of course the ones at the restaurants taste better. Not necessarily because they are fried, but because they are fresher, and besides, the frozen ones were generally fried too, at least for the first heating.
    Hi Ed
    I suspect that either You or the Seller paid a fair amount for shipping even if they used a USPS flat rate box.

I had a stray thought that the frozen rolls might have come with a crisper sleeve that could crisp them in a Microwave. As an example I have seen Frozen Crinkle Cut French Fries that come in a box where the bottom has a crisper coating and then after opening the box You lay the fries out in and push the top with it's crisper coating down onto the fries before Microwaving.

I do have Crisper bags in the Cupboard that I can use to crisp things in the MW too.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Friday, thank God!
    Morning progressing here...Tom E. and I have had our 'rocking/bonding' time :), mixed up his kibble rations for about a month, (several brands for various reasons). kitchen was cleaned up last night, and right now a block of tofu is being pressed, laundry is already on rinse, I seem to go thru a lot of dark clothes during the winter... and I've eaten my banana.
    Sweeper has been run, potty boxes cleaned, etc....

Plan a trip to the gym and after that I may come home, or I may make a return trip to Walmart, as I bought a little rug for my bathroom there yesterday, and I like the colors so well I may go back for a set of towels to match!
    After that, who knows????
    Hi Valerie
    If I said I tend to run to darker colors year round :)
    I have a Microfiber rug that is used in the bathroom for when I climb out of the shower. I like how it feels underfoot better than the thick fluffy rug.
    I loved the meme about "My Goals"...sounds a lot like me? The article about shock treatment in the UK upsets me? Its barbaric.

I don't have the Amazon bunch that you all have??? Mine either comes from Amazon, or more likely Amazon ships UPS, and UPS hands it off to USPS...and that's where the problems start. You never know who has it, where they leave it, etc. Yesterday in my regular daily mail, I got a bank statement (no I didn't look inside) for my next door neighbors, sent her a text to let her know I'd put it into her mail box,...she texted back a TY, and said she made a trip to the PO this week with 3 pieces of mail that they'd left in her box that wasn't even from this street????
    We had a better USPS guy, but he got a new route, close to where he lives, etc. Right now it looks like we get whoever they can grab. Mail comes somewhere between 2:30 and 5:30. :(

Ok, while I'm still ready to get 'er' done I'm going for it....don't want to totally loose my momentum!!

Later...
    I don't know, if the shock could treatment could help with memory I think I would be OK with it, Hard to say either way.

I am seeing more and more of the Amazon rented trucks delivering locally vs the UPS to USPS handoff. Fedex I see usually for the NS deliveries :)

Generally when I get misdirected mail it is for the next door neighbor since the husband there and my brother both have the same first name. The last one for a different block was a Property tax report that is a postcard and the wrong one was stuck behind ours. I put it in the mailbox sticking out and I saw the Mailman looking puzzled when he looked at it as that is a different mail delivery route. I tend to give things like that to the mailman just in case misdirected mail counts against them.

Am I weird ? I give out a gift card to the mailman that he can use for coffee and on his way to work and in the Summer cold bottles of spring water to the recycle guys and during the bitter cold snap I gave them 10 for $10 Duncan Donut cofferr cards. OTOH My packages always end up inside the porch and we are the only house where I see the Recycle bin slid up the sidewalk to the front door :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday. Foggy 49 with an expected high of 65 and 70% chance of precipitation.

We have orchid photography today. Joy.

Hopefully I'll get to the store too, while out.

Need to clear the sink and feed the cats. Yesterday was national Pizza day so dinner was pizza. And so was breakfast this morning.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

More commercial parodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL0dhWKlZrY

Dollar tree breakfast on a stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAfAMf17qTg

10 movie scenes that are totally different in other countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKj9lxK1Qs
  • parityanimal
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/cutting-asparagus-could-prevent-spread-of-breast-cancer-study-shows
    Spread of breast cancer linked to compound in asparagus and other foods
    Using drugs or diet to reduce levels of asparagine may benefit patients, say researchers

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-fruit-apple-mango-baobab/
    Do You Know Your Fruit? 4 In 10 Mistake An Apple For A Mango, Survey Finds

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/08/bermuda-repeal-same-sex-marriage
    Bermuda becomes first jurisdiction in the world to repeal same-sex marriage

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/alabama/capn-crunch-battery-742903
    February 8, 2018
    Alabama Man, 52, Attacked Roommate Over Stale Cap'n Crunch Cereal, Cops Say

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/07/starbucks-drinks-had-blood/
    Family Sues Starbucks After Allegedly Being Served Drinks Containing Blood

http://bgr.com/2018/02/08/iphone-iboot-source-code-leak/
    Secret code from the iPhone was posted to Github in the ‘biggest leak in history’

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/police-description-sketch-led-to-arrest-warrant-for-man-accused/article_ca2b02a0-0b86-11e8-aaec-cb178f6f6dc7.html

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger

I love asparagus but don't often eat it, so I think I'm good on that. But then too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you.

The fruit article is a bit odd...One could make a case that watermelon is "born on the ground" though small melons can be grown on a trellis, but pineapples comes from the ground? Not really, though the bromeliad that produces the pineapple, which fruits on a stalk from the plant, grows on the ground. I wouldn't say that pineapples come from the ground, as the fruits themselves are elevated above the ground. Or if they do, then don't blueberries come from the ground too, since the bush grows in the ground? Now peanuts. Peanuts come from the ground. And potatoes. As to identifying a feijoa being largely unidentified, I can understand. I have eaten that, but just seeing it in a picture, probably wouldn't remember the name of it, as that is rather obscure.

I was sad to see that Bermuda repealed that. We'll see though whether it lasts. Love is love.

When I was a kid I might have understood being mad about stale Cap'n Crunch...but as an adult don't even like it!

Maybe the alleged blood in the drinks was a free bonus? Extra protein?

I don't think any code stays secret forever.

I can actually see the resemblance in the drawing, somewhat, but suspect the description that went with it had a lot to do with the arrest too.
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's satisfying Saturday. Foggy 49 with an expected high of 65 and 70% chance of precipitation.

We have orchid photography today. Joy.

Hopefully I'll get to the store too, while out.

Need to clear the sink and feed the cats. Yesterday was national Pizza day so dinner was pizza. And so was breakfast this morning.

More commercial parodies.

Dollar tree breakfast on a stick.

10 movie scenes that are totally different in other countries.
    Hi Again
    Not that bad for February weather IMO :smiley:

I did not see that yesterday was National Pizza Day until after I had finished my food for the day :( Or I might have had a Pizza Delivered from around the corner...

This was at the cut off time for the day, Yesterday my Brother baked a Kielbasa in a cast iron skillet and I had some, as far as I can tell I had around 170 calories of it, It was so tasty too, I could have eaten a lot more if it was not fair to do that to my brother. That is all extra calories I ate for the day :(

That Breakfast on a stick looked pretty good and I do not remember seeing it in the nearby Dollar Tree OTOH or I might have tried it. The movie scenes being different does not surprise me.

Enjoy the orchid photography and good luck getting to the store
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back from walking again and no cents. The temperature this morning was 43 on the porch and 45 on the cable news channel. The the temperature is forecast to rise into the 50s with heavy rain :(

The scale was nicely lower than yesterday morning, again, It seems that the "Time-restricted eating" combined with a 100% NS plan is working really well so far. Whee
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/time-restricted-eating

https://www.studyfinds.org/vegetables-fruits-legumes-servings/
    Disease, Death Risk Reduced With Fewer Fruits, Vegetables Than Previously Believed, Study Finds

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/02/08/san-francisco-bay-area-mass-exodus-residents/
    San Francisco Bay Area Experiences Mass Exodus Of Residents

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-pacific-nation-bigger.html
    'Sinking' Pacific nation is getting bigger

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/02/08/Norwegian-Olympic-team-accidentally-orders-15000-eggs/1231518139464/?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=3
    Norwegian Olympic team accidentally orders 15,000 eggs

http://fox4kc.com/2018/02/08/fake-homeowners-association-files-real-liens-on-northland-neighborhood-after-fake-bills-go-unpaid/
    Fake homeowners association files real liens on Northland neighborhood after fake bills go unpaid
    The filing of fake liens and other documents has become a big problem in Missouri.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/02/09/news/hancock/maine-man-says-he-fought-off-a-black-bear-that-attacked-his-puppy/
    Dog owner during bear attack: ‘I stuck my finger right in its eye’

http://fox59.com/2018/02/07/mice-droppings-on-pizza-prompt-little-caesars-shutdown/
    Mice droppings on pizza prompt Little Caesar’s shutdown

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/scientists-warn-unusually-cold-sun-will-we-face-another-ice-age-759865
    Scientists warn of unusually cold Sun: Will we face another ice age?

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    SGFK23.jpg

h0yB8o.jpg

Um4uuF.jpg

GzAOk4.gif

VEQuEA.jpg

qcFFjQ.jpg

5HUXUE.jpg