Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,220 Member
    The rest of tonight's dinner. A VERY RARE treat for me and J (hope it doesn't make us ill...) of fried foods. "Fish fried" tofu, fried green tomatoes, and jalapeño hush puppies. I made a modified tartar sauce for dipping.

Yes, a "fish fried" tofu may sound a bit strange, but people seem to always be enjoying "chicken fried" tofu and I have made, and enjoyed, that myself, so why not "fish fried" tofu?

lwkv5iaa0i1o.png

A bit thanks go out to my sister in law, M, for providing the breading mix. Yes, of course I am perfectly capable of making my own corn meal breading for frying fish and/or vegetables, but this was an overrun from her place of employment and she had some to give away.

dwxmlsdcgkj8.png
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    rhArjN.jpg

7egtQ8.jpg

mqdfll.jpg

V9RZqh.jpg

QxWaPZ.jpg

fGddSk.jpg

RlQ1HL.gif

ZzYg0r.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking with two cents found. The Temperature out the door was 74 degrees and was not comfortable while walking despite the light breeze due to the Humidity :(

https://www.bloombergquint.com/businessweek/2018/08/20/amazon-isn-t-paying-its-electric-bills-you-might-be#gs.8529Dqo
    Amazon Isn’t Paying Its Electric Bills. You Might Be

https://nypost.com/2018/08/20/woman-dupes-dozens-of-dudes-into-weirdest-tinder-date-ever/
    Woman dupes dozens of dudes into weirdest Tinder date ever

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-e-cigarettes-dna.html
    E-cigarettes can damage DNA
    No Surprise to Me FWIW, Who knows what is in those things ?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-strawberries-inflammation-colon.html?utm_source=tabs&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=story-tabs
    Strawberries could help reduce harmful inflammation in the colon
    And they taste good as I see it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/dronehunter-knocks-killer-drones-out-sky-n902031
    The DroneHunter knocks killer drones out of the sky
    Watch the DroneHunter find and neutralize a drone loaded with explosives

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/08/20/chicago-weekend-shootings-gun-violence-violent-crime/
    At Least 58 People Shot In Chicago This Weekend; 6 Dead, 52 Wounded
    August 20, 2018 at 6:00 pm

https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/national/doctor-s-orders-let-children-just-play/article_2feb1c29-26c9-5d7b-ae2c-2318a24a8d4f.html
    Doctor’s orders: Let children just play

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/another-metro-atlanta-county-offers-safe-zones-for-online-purchases/dgtYlYNWybn1yw4Hsaay6H/
    Another metro Atlanta county offers safe zones for online purchases

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/georgia-top-lawyer-confirms-fears-about-change-school-bus-law/4zph6hrdczp9nZXgGpxyhK/
    Georgia’s top lawyer confirms fears about change to school bus law
    Not to smart reducing fines for passing a stopped schoo bus IMO

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! 72 with an expected high of 83 and 50% chance of precipitation.

Got some laundry to fold (and possibly put away) after it finishes drying. And I need to clean yesterday's cat bowls and feed the cats, but it's a bit early yet for the feeding. Lilo and Oliver have had their torture for the day. Lilo's shot, Oliver's ear drops, and some of the same drops rubbed on Lilo's apparent ringworm. A nap may be due sooner, rather than later, as Oliver got me up just a bit earlier than I wanted to get up, chirping as he looked out the patio door.
    Hi Ed
    Laundry, Something I have planned for later this morning.

Ringworm, Yuck :(
    And several cheese stuffed dinner ideas. I like cheese!
    Already set up to watch later. I like cheeses too :smile:
    RogerToo wrote: »
    I would have thought that baking in the oven would have incinerated the crayoned price.

You are building quite a collection of Cast Iron Cookware :wink:

Have a Good Day
    Roger

The burn off in the oven DID incinerate the crayoned price on the round griddle but I wasn't about to put my wood plank base in that hot oven. I'd like to actually be able to use it, not start a fire in the oven. LOL. Goo Gone got it off the wood quickly and easily.

I love my cast iron. :) I'd been wanting one of those fajita sets for a while but the cost for a new one is ridiculous!

I may be able to use the wood plank base with a gratin dish as well. Haven't checked but I'm pretty sure one would fit on there, probably with a little extra room. I can serve myself in a FANCIER fashion.
    Stupid me, I misunderstood I thought You meant only on the Cast Iron :blush:
    I got the laundry done, and folded, and put away! Yay me!

Lunch was a pizza made from the final heel/end piece of my home made bread from the other day. It worked really nicely for that purpose.
    That Looked tasty, Nice and Cheesy too.
    The rest of tonight's dinner. A VERY RARE treat for me and J (hope it doesn't make us ill...) of fried foods. "Fish fried" tofu, fried green tomatoes, and jalapeño hush puppies. I made a modified tartar sauce for dipping.

Yes, a "fish fried" tofu may sound a bit strange, but people seem to always be enjoying "chicken fried" tofu and I have made, and enjoyed, that myself, so why not "fish fried" tofu?

A bit thanks go out to my sister in law, M, for providing the breading mix. Yes, of course I am perfectly capable of making my own corn meal breading for frying fish and/or vegetables, but this was an overrun from her place of employment and she had some to give away.
    Makes Sense to me. It does day Fish and vegetable breading. I wonder what the difference is ?

Thanks for the Video Links
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning
    If I don't post now, it will be after dinner....so, still have vid's to watch. Will see them with my dinner tonite.
    Ed, I love the pix of J holding Oliver. Oliver has the most beautiful eyes!!!!
    I did most of the interesting reading...and Roger, thanks for the link. It was the WSJ...sorry. Wasn't sure which it was, and too lazy or too rushed to go back and look!
    Hi Valerie
    I do something similar with the Videos, I watch while I eat breakfast.

We all do things like that.
    Yesterday I went to take something frozen out of the Microwave after it dinged, Still frozen, Oops, I had hit timer not start :(
    Roger, not rinsing the rice doesn't mean you've been deprived...just that you and I are old. Word was when I was in high school, and much later even, that you didn't rinse white rice because you'd wash off the B vitamins that was added to the rice to replace the vitamin B that was removed when the rice was hulled. So of course, nobody wanted to lose the vitamins...... It may or may not remove the vitamins, but it does remove the rice dust which makes the rice sticky. So, if you want beautiful separate grains of rice like you get from Indian takeout, and most Asian..then rinse your rice. :) Also I have quit measuring cups of rice and water and began using the Indian method...rinse rice several times, add to a pot with a LOT of w

Today looks like its a busy day...some cleaning to do in the hall bath itself, (and me cleaning too), a load of laundry, time at the gym for my daily walk, and I signed up for another stretching class. (also signed up for the Thursday stretch class)...after gym a quick run by the market for apples, fz. spinach, and maybe a melon. Finished the honeydew, and am thinking maybe watermelon? Then home, and my 4p call with Jack. And after that some dinner, a bit of fruit, and I'd like to think an early bed time. (bed time seems to be getting later and later...time to draw that line in the sand as they say)

I'd like to spend some time in the yard weeding, but I just don't see that happening today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Later...
    That does sound like what I remember too, I suspect that the Chinese want there Rice sticky so as to be easier to eat with Chopsticks. Does it make me weird that I like Minute Rice too, I just think of it as a different tasting rice. It works well added to a broth for example.

It appears that today is Laundry Day for us here.

Was the Honeydew nice and ripe ? So many of what we get look good but are Crunchy and not that tasty.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Lx5Nr3.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 68 with an expected high of 85 and 0% chance of precipitation.

The kitchen still smells like I'm frying stuff in there but then I was doing that for quite some time last night. My stovetop living cast iron skillet got quite a workout! The food was all good, but I hadn't considered that the very thin slices of tomato that J wanted would make a LOT MORE SLICES than the thicker slices I grew up with, so I think one tomato, of the size I got, would have been plenty. I used two and was frying tomato slices for a lot longer than I'd expected. And, of course, had to fry the tofu too, and the hush puppies. Couldn't waste the remaining seasoned cornmeal after all! Well, yes, I COULD have but that's not normally what I do. I added some minced onion and jalapeño, and some baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder, to the small pile remaining and mixed in enough water to make a dough. There was enough to make about 4 reasonable, flat, jalapeño hush puppies to go with our Tofu Tuesday "fish" fry.

Oliver is getting more and more active. He had me up for a good chunk of the time between 3:00 and 4:00 this morning, rampaging around the bedroom and making a pest of himself. But he is, after all, a kitten and was just being a *KITTEN* kitten, wasn't he?

I got him interested in a (somewhat loud) toy for a while and then gave him some more kibble, and, after rearranging a couple of things to cover the crack of the door to the hall (so he'd stop scratching at it) did manage to get another couple hours of sleep.

He got his 10th (and last prescripted) rub in each ear with his multipurpose ear drops, so his minor candidiasis in the ears should be all taken care of now. Lilo's apparent ringworm needs a few days yet, so I'll keep on that one.

DEFINITELY want a nap today!
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Pretentious food/ingredient tasting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0q9yxE4IKg
  • parityanimal
    Chefs test a home pizza oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79_oFy8WDEk
  • parityanimal
    More frugality, from several Thanksgivings ago. I like the look of the baked cauliflower "mac" and cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31BlH8Lqjs
  • parityanimal
    edited August 2018
    Makes Sense to me. It does day Fish and vegetable breading. I wonder what the difference is ?

Well, as the mix can be used for either one, I guess none! On the other hand, while I grew up with cornmeal breading for fish, okra, green tomatoes, and thin slices of yellow squash, I've always had a flour type breading on onion rings. M gave me some of each, and the flour breading was great for making chicken fried tofu. But this corn meal mix specifically mentions that, while fish (and most vegetables) should only need to be dipped in water, if dipped at all, "waxy" vegetables like onion rings and squash might need to be dipped in an egg and milk wash.

So I guess they make onion rings with corn meal breading too. I don't recall ever having any that way, but I guess they would be OK.

In the past I've never had much luck getting my breading to stay on onion rings but may try again some day.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning.
    Took me an hour to slug my way thru interesting reading from Roger...Utilities when regulated ran in the red. Deregulation has helped fix that. Amazon cut a deal...
    How on earth did I miss seeing Emmy with the avocado coffee drink?? Sounds weird, but I'm betting it would be delicious. I'm also betting that one of those would be an entire days calories, fat calories, etc. But I can 'almost' taste it, in my mind of course!
    My fitbit ulta is set up (by me) to alert me at X/50 minutes...X being the hour...as it only asks for 250 steps..easy peasy to do indoors or out. It is mostly a reminder to get up and move! You know 'shake your booty' time!
    Keeps me from sitting here all day long...

Ed the fried everything looks great! Wonder if the breading is available here, or is only sold in KY??
    If you want those fish sticks to really taste like fish you might want to try using 'black salt' in the seasonings on the tofu. (works because of the sulfur in the salt where its mined) I add it to my scramble, and 'chickpea based tuna salad', etc. I couldn't find it locally...not even WF..so I had to order it from Amazon. BTW Black salt is not black.Sort of a grayed muddy pink with more 'grayed' than pink...

Ok, I know there were several cartoons today that had me laughing...would love to tell why I thought they were so funny, but I gotta go for now.

Later...
  • parityanimal

Wonder if the breading is available here, or is only sold in KY??

Well, the way what she gave me is packaged, and the way it seems to be sized in these packages given to me, looks more like it is for commercial/restaurant use than for home use. I can't see these bulky bags being available in the grocery store, though I supposed they could package it in smaller bags that might be. On the other hand, though, when one is breading and frying stuff, one does need a fairly significant amount in a bowl for use, so if you do it a lot, at home, then you'd use a bag up fairly quickly.

But I haven't seen it available anywhere and don't know to whom Blendex provides it. If I remember, I'll ask M if she knows.

• parityanimal
    Update: She is pretty sure they send that to a restaurant. It is packed 10 bags to a box. And it seems over runs are common. I guess it's better to be sure you make enough rather than risk your client running out because you didn't make as much as needed.
  • RogerToo
    gLA2cZ.jpg

mIBDTV.jpg

THlTu5.jpg

jS2kCN.jpg

zHV2NP.gif

Hh2Mau.jpg

TXwHNw.jpg

nDpquu.jpg

HXfd7D.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back home from walking no cents. The Temperature out the door was 68 degrees and was comfortable while walking due to the light breeze.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-20/after-60-years-i-95-is-complete
    After 60 Years, I-95 Is Complete
    Meanwhile, the rest of America’s roadways, rails and bridges are disintegrating.
    Meanwhile in NJ
    The Lincoln Tunnel, which brings 200,000 passengers by car and bus from New Jersey to New York City each day, is in a decrepit state, as are the highways that lead to it. NJ Transit’s commuter-rail system is struggling to compensate for crowding, delays, faulty technology and a lack of engineers. Roughly 42 percent of New Jersey’s roads remain deficient, costing each state driver an estimated $1,951 annually in lost time, according to a 2016 report from the American Association of Civil Engineers.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/04/24/china-assigns-every-citizen-a-social-credit-score-to-identify-who-is-and-isnt-trustworthy/
    Yikes
    China Assigns Every Citizen A ‘Social Credit Score’ To Identify Who Is And Isn’t Trustworthy
    Country Determines Your Standing Through Use Of Surveillance Video, Plans To Have 600 Million Cameras By 2020

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/bill-dagostino/2018/08/20/media-silent-south-africa-seizes-land-white-farmers
    Media Silent as South Africa Seizes Land from White Farmers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6081935/Is-Big-One-hit-California-Fears-rise-swarm-53-major-earthquakes.html
    Sixty nine major earthquakes hit the Pacific's Ring of Fire in just 48 hours driving fears that the 'Big One' is about to hit California

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/611884/this-company-embeds-microchips-in-its-employees-and-they-love-it/
    This company embeds microchips in its employees, and they love it

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! 68 with an expected high of 85 and 0% chance of precipitation.

The kitchen still smells like I'm frying stuff in there but then I was doing that for quite some time last night. My stovetop living cast iron skillet got quite a workout! The food was all good, but I hadn't considered that the very thin slices of tomato that J wanted would make a LOT MORE SLICES than the thicker slices I grew up with, so I think one tomato, of the size I got, would have been plenty. I used two and was frying tomato slices for a lot longer than I'd expected. And, of course, had to fry the tofu too, and the hush puppies. Couldn't waste the remaining seasoned cornmeal after all! Well, yes, I COULD have but that's not normally what I do. I added some minced onion and jalapeño, and some baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder, to the small pile remaining and mixed in enough water to make a dough. There was enough to make about 4 reasonable, flat, jalapeño hush puppies to go with our Tofu Tuesday "fish" fry.

Oliver is getting more and more active. He had me up for a good chunk of the time between 3:00 and 4:00 this morning, rampaging around the bedroom and making a pest of himself. But he is, after all, a kitten and was just being a *KITTEN* kitten, wasn't he?

I got him interested in a (somewhat loud) toy for a while and then gave him some more kibble, and, after rearranging a couple of things to cover the crack of the door to the hall (so he'd stop scratching at it) did manage to get another couple hours of sleep.

He got his 10th (and last prescripted) rub in each ear with his multipurpose ear drops, so his minor candidiasis in the ears should be all taken care of now. Lilo's apparent ringworm needs a few days yet, so I'll keep on that one.

DEFINITELY want a nap today!
    Hi Ed
    Interesting that You were frying too. We finally have gotten some Eggplant from the garden, Everybody's Gardens are running late and doing poorly this year. getting back to where I was going, Yesterday my brother harvested # 2 & #3 Eggplants and instantly breaded and fried slices then Finished the process by turning those into Eggplant Parm.

The only thing that has been producing regularly is the Zucchini followed by the tomatoes. The Green Peppers and String beans ran late also :( It isn't just us, talking to the neighbor yesterday her garden is doing about as good as ours.
    Chefs test a home pizza oven.
    Hmm... I wonder what the wattage is on that thing ?
    I need to watch, There are many interesting things I would buy and use if we had more counter space. The Kitchen is the size they used to put in the homes around 1950 :smiley:
    Videos set up to watch while I eat Breakfast later on.

Well, as the mix can be used for either one, I guess none! On the other hand, while I grew up with cornmeal breading for fish, okra, green tomatoes, and thin slices of yellow squash, I've always had a flour type breading on onion rings. M gave me some of each, and the flour breading was great for making chicken fried tofu. But this corn meal mix specifically mentions that, while fish (and most vegetables) should only need to be dipped in water, if dipped at all, "waxy" vegetables like onion rings and squash might need to be dipped in an egg and milk wash.

So I guess they make onion rings with corn meal breading too. I don't recall ever having any that way, but I guess they would be OK.

In the past I've never had much luck getting my breading to stay on onion rings but may try again some day.
    Sorry about that, I was not clear, I meant vs breading for meats.
    I wonder how the restaurants, Diners and Places Like White Castle bread them and get it to stick.
    One possibility that comes to mind is pat the slices dry, then a wash to improve adhesion. I do like the White Castle and Burger King Onion Rings and the Beer Batter rings from a local place and the Diner are so tasty.
    Update: She is pretty sure they send that to a restaurant. It is packed 10 bags to a box. And it seems over runs are common. I guess it's better to be sure you make enough rather than risk your client running out because you didn't make as much as needed.
    I wonder if it could be found on Amazon in single bag lots ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited August 2018
    Good Morning.
    Took me an hour to slug my way thru interesting reading from Roger...Utilities when regulated ran in the red. Deregulation has helped fix that. Amazon cut a deal...
    How on earth did I miss seeing Emmy with the avocado coffee drink?? Sounds weird, but I'm betting it would be delicious. I'm also betting that one of those would be an entire days calories, fat calories, etc. But I can 'almost' taste it, in my mind of course!
    My fitbit ulta is set up (by me) to alert me at X/50 minutes...X being the hour...as it only asks for 250 steps..easy peasy to do indoors or out. It is mostly a reminder to get up and move! You know 'shake your booty' time!
    Keeps me from sitting here all day long...

Ed the fried everything looks great! Wonder if the breading is available here, or is only sold in KY??
    If you want those fish sticks to really taste like fish you might want to try using 'black salt' in the seasonings on the tofu. (works because of the sulfur in the salt where its mined) I add it to my scramble, and 'chickpea based tuna salad', etc. I couldn't find it locally...not even WF..so I had to order it from Amazon. BTW Black salt is not black.Sort of a grayed muddy pink with more 'grayed' than pink...

Ok, I know there were several cartoons today that had me laughing...would love to tell why I thought they were so funny, but I gotta go for now.

Later...
    Hi Valerie

2ocgzN.jpg

That makes it worth doing, hearing that the News Links were interesting. I try and cherry pick them from the plethora my brother send me daily in email, Say thanks to him :wink:

Amazon seems to be very good at cutting deals on everything.

Avocado Coffee drink, Pass.

Black Salt, hmm... being a curious type, where did You get the idea to use it ?

I try and pick funny cartoons and sometimes I add things like the first image posted today and the one with the fish as I find them interesting despite not being humorous.

No Problem not saying which ones, BTW the Swamp ones in general or the others ?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

64 with an expected high of only 83 and 0% chance of precipitation. Not much on the agenda today. Maybe a brief shopping trip to Aldi and/or Publix.

Dinner last night was a chicken thigh and a reasonable serving of spicy, cheesy, fiesta hash brown casserole.

Got to clean up yesterday's cat bowls and feed the masses.