Fatty Meats

ybell300
ybell300 Posts: 32 Member
Do you all eat the fat? I love ribeye steaks but I don't eat the fat off the ribeye. I can't seem to grasp the concept. I don't trim all the fat off but I try to get most of it off. Should I try eating the fat?

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    I tend to eat the fat off my pork. My fiance is a red meat eater and is on the keto diet. He eats a lot of fat and loves fatty ribeye, but even he will trim off and leave some of the fat because it's just TOO MUCH for him to deal with. Eat it if you want. Don't make yourself sick trying to stuff it down. Eat something else fatty.

-T.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Don't eat anything that grosses you out. There's plenty of fat in the marbling. This really isn't a fat-eating contest. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I looked at it on my ribeye the other evening, but couldn't do it either. Was glad I had an Alfredo sauce made to put all over it. I have heard some who do eat it, my mother does, but I just can't.
  • ybell300
    wabmester wrote: »
    Don't eat anything that grosses you out. There's plenty of fat in the marbling. This really isn't a fat-eating contest. :)

That's great to know because I hadn't figured out how I was going to get it done.
  • ybell300
    I just know I've never been a big fat eater. I know fat is necessary on this WOE but I couldn't fathom eating it all. I'll have to figure something else out.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    wabmester wrote: »

It depends. If she is trying to get to a Ketogenic diet, you need to eat 70% of you calories in fat. I eat all the fat trimmings, not necessarily to "fill" my macros, but because I like the taste of it. Since she doesn't like that, she could try some tasty fat bombs.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fat Bombs
    Cocoa Butter @ www.bulkapothecary.com
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member

I agree with Dan. I you're trying a Keto diet you MUST eat more fat.

:) I am the opposite. I love the fat. I've always loved the fat. I used to cry when I cut it off. Well, not literally but I didn't like doing it. ;) Now I relish it. I eat the fat first. Yummmmmm. I've also been known to eat everyone else's steak fat cut offs.

It can be difficult to get past the "Don't eat the fat. Fat is bad." education. It took me a little while. I had to stop, think about it and then leave the fat on. Getting past the guilt of eating that fat took some doing too. It's a matter of relearning habits. Cut the carbs, keep the fats. Enjoy your food.
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    I have always loved the fat on steaks... #1 reason ribeyes are my favorite! Not as huge a fan of fat on pork chops... And on chicken I tend to not eat it except the skin. But if I cut it off, like from a chicken breast or a whole chicken, I throw it in the bag with the bones & whatnot I use to make broth...
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    I can't do the great big blob of fat in my mouth.

I'lltake my fat in the herbed butter melted over the top of the steak and cauliflower mash (made with butter and boursin cheese).
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    I can eat chunks of pork fat, but have a hard time with beef and lamb fat.....
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,749 Member
    My favorite part about ribeyes is the rich fat. Ummmmm ribeye. I cook it medium-rare, salt it liberally and eat ever last gram of it, then debate licking the juices off the plate.

It it is a texture thing, make sure you are eating fat with lean, not just chunks of fat solo.
  • ybell300
    It it is a texture thing, make sure you are eating fat with lean, not just chunks of fat solo. [/quote]

I think this is what gets me...the texture.
  • ybell300
    I do want to eventually start ketogentic. I think I will have to work my way up to eating the fat off the fatty meats thought. I barley eat the skin off chicken and etc. I guess I will have to learn new eating habits.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    It helps if the skin is nice and crispy. This recipe is bril:

nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken

Nothing wrong with trimming the fat if you don't like the texture... you can always add it back via some grass fed butter or coconut oil.

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    No, I don't like the texture of it in my mouth. Ick! I do add fats, though, like cooking steak in lard and melting butter on top.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Sajyana wrote: »
    I agree with Dan. I you're trying a Keto diet you MUST eat more fat.

:) I am the opposite. I love the fat. I've always loved the fat. I used to cry when I cut it off. Well, not literally but I didn't like doing it. ;) Now I relish it. I eat the fat first. Yummmmmm. I've also been known to eat everyone else's steak fat cut offs.

It can be difficult to get past the "Don't eat the fat. Fat is bad." education. It took me a little while. I had to stop, think about it and then leave the fat on. Getting past the guilt of eating that fat took some doing too. It's a matter of relearning habits. Cut the carbs, keep the fats. Enjoy your food.
    rkufeke wrote: »
    I have always loved the fat on steaks... #1 reason ribeyes are my favorite! Not as huge a fan of fat on pork chops... And on chicken I tend to not eat it except the skin. But if I cut it off, like from a chicken breast or a whole chicken, I throw it in the bag with the bones & whatnot I use to make broth...

I may be weird but I love good fat, especially when it is well seasoned and cooked/fried/crusty. It seems decadently delicious after being brain washed to avoid it so long. I once read a biography of a prisoner of war who said he dreamt of eating the fat like he had a child, on a big Sunday dinner pork roast?
  • ybell300
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    It helps if the skin is nice and crispy. This recipe is bril:

nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken

Nothing wrong with trimming the fat if you don't like the texture... you can always add it back via some grass fed butter or coconut oil.

This recipe looks yummy! I can't wait to try it. Thank You
  • ybell300
    No, I don't like the texture of it in my mouth. Ick! I do add fats, though, like cooking steak in lard and melting butter on top.

I can so do this. When you are adding fats like butter on top...do you have flavored butter like herb butter or just regular butter?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    ybell300 wrote: »

I can so do this. When you are adding fats like butter on top...do you have flavored butter like herb butter or just regular butter?

I just use regular, but you can do whatever you want. You could also make homemade mayo and slather that on or any other fatty dressing like bleu cheese!!!