I'm new and needing a lot of help/advice.

Options
YukiBuns
YukiBuns Posts: 45 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
So to make this short. I started my weight loss Journey in March. I started at 179.9lbs and is currently 162.3-164.4lbs (it bounces around due to water weight sometimes).

I'm proud of how far I did come so far considering I lost most of this weight without much exercise. But I saw people mentioning trying Keto and how much fat actually burns and how much healthier they've felt after entering the lifestyle change. I've always been slow, sluggish and tired most my life. Never enough energy. But I know I'm strong, I can lift some heavy stuff when I do get those bursts (or just because I had to.) I grew up mostly always that 'chubby girl'. So I've never been thin. My lightest weight ever was around 145lbs, but never even lasted a year. My family always told me, "You're just big boned, accept it and deal with it." when indeed I am a normal body frame and not a large frame; but it was their way of comforting me through my complaints I guess.

This year I want it to be different, I want to be energetic and not insecure. My current diet is fine but if the claims are true that Keto is healthier on the body and gives energy for days while aiding weight loss; I would love to try it. But I am a total rookie and no where to start. Every website and video I read/listen to is very vague on how to achieve Ketosis and stay within it. I get the idea of it being a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. But I don't honestly get the specifics of it. I also see that Avocado is a staple to most people on Keto. Sadly I tried an Avocado shake for the first time last month and my tongue and lips got swollen and itchy. So I believe I'm allergic to Avocados and that makes me a bit nervous if I do try Keto.

This is my current diet right now that I'm doing that is slowly aiding me in weight loss for those who are curious:

Breakfast: 1 cup of Oolong tea 20-30 minutes before eating 2 boiled eggs or scrambled eggs. Sometimes mixing Arugula into the scrambled.

Water & another cup of Oolong inbetween breakfast and lunch hours.

Lunch: 1 cup of Oolong 20-30 minutes before lunch. GNC Women's Ultra Multivitamin Chocolate Mix, Fiber Therapy/Fiber Laxative powder, Nonfat Greek Yogurt for Protein, various mixed berries and sometimes Almond Milk Unsweetened.

Lots more water, apples for snacks inbetween at times.

Dinner: 1 cup of Oolong 20-30 minutes again. 1 can of White Chunk tuna in Water, loads of steamed Broccoli, Carrots and Cauliflower.

Load up on more water throughout the night and 1-2 extra cups before sleeping.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    A great place to start is this group, which includes all methods of low carb eating plans, and you may actually find one that works better for your body than Keto, though honestly, it is my personal favorite.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

At the top of that group, there is a stickied post called "START here! The LCD Launch Pad."

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

It has information about Keto and the other plans.

Avocados are a great balance of nutrients and fats, but are not by far essential. I did the first three months of this way of eating without any, and I only eat them when I feel like it... There are dozens of other ways to get what you need.

That being said, looking at your sample eating plan, it is very deficient in fats for this way of eating. You can add butter, coconut oil, heavy (double) cream, coconut milk, etc., to your teas. Be sure you are cooking your eggs in butter, coconut oil, ghee, bacon drippings, lard, etc. Feel free to eat more eggs than just two or to add some meat to this meal.

For lunch, unless you specifically have issues, upping the fat in your diet will eliminate your need for fiber. Fats lubricate that process naturally. Fiber is only needed to help process carbs, and if you do choose to go on a Ketogenic diet, you will generally be limiting to around 20 carbs a day, and those carbs will likely come from veggies and dairy/cheese, so the fiber will generally be unnecessary. Some people still find the need to incorporate fiber due to underlying conditions, age, or very broken metabolisms, though this tends to be rare. For the yogurt, if you choose to continue including it, see out FULL FAT yogurt, without sweetener - though meats are far more filling and a good balance of protein and fats. Berries are okay on this eating plan, but will be very limited.

Apples, while decent in fiber, are very high in sugar. This way of eating generally does not support eating them. Better snacks, if they are even needed at all, would be nuts, cheese, meat, etc. A good combinations of healthy fats and protein with very little carbs at eat snack is optimum for most people.

Dinner would be okay, but I would recommend loading up on Mayo (homemade if possible) and lots of cheese and butter or a creamy sauce if you want to keep the vegetables. There are far more meat options than this, and read meat is quite a healthy choice for this plan. I don't know if you have any preferences.

Usually macros are set at grams, rather than percentages.

for Keto, that is :smile:
    20 grams of carbs
    (this amount can adjust per individual, but should be treated as a hard limit)

60 grams -120 grams of protein
    (this is a rough estimate, but is based per each person based on your percentage of lean body mass and activity levels. For someone with 45% body fat (ME), that would mean I have 55% LBM, and at 245, that is 134.75 pounds of lean body mass. For sedentary, to maintain your current muscles alone, you need 0.6 grams of protein per pound of LMB - so for me, 81 grams of protein is my minimum. For people who lift weights, etc, they need closer to 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM, which would be 135 grams... Protein should be a range goal, but going a little over on this is acceptable. Going under means that your body will start digesting muscle to fuel your body)

REMAINING Calories - FAT grams... (for me, this is between 120 grams and 250 grams depending on activity and hunger. Using a calculator like this will help. keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Please keep in mind though, that without extensive metabolic testing calorie counts are just a guesstimate, and everyone is different. Once you are sure you aren't eating for boredom, stress, and cravings, eat to satiety. If you're hungry, eat. Your body will be converting your fuel system and repairing any damage from a lifetime of bad habits, etc. Most people find that they can eat at a smaller deficit and still burn fat/lose weight on this way of eating because it is more efficient. Feel free to let us know of any other questions!

Good posts:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10149121/too-little-calories-too-much-carbs#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10143969/new-to-lchf-are-all-carbs-bad#latest
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yeah, carrots too are high carb. Keto is really hard to get your head round, it goes against everything we've been told about healthy eating as you have to leave out a lot if fruit and vegetables you believe are healthy. Maybe switch to low carb vegetables such as spinach and other leafy greens and fruit such as berries. I agree with everything written above, looks like you are low fat and that is very hard to maintain for any time on keto. Track your carbs strictly using mfp. If you stick to 20g and below you will likely be in ketosis. If you want to test, get ketones meter, that will help you find your personal limit for how many grams carbs you can have without exiting ketosis. Good luck!
  • YukiBuns
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. Does the Keto diet or any variation have any bad side effects for women? I had friends tell me not to do it because it caused heart issues with some women and even heart attacks. What are the risks?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    YukiBuns wrote: »
    Thank you for all the advice. Does the Keto diet or any variation have any bad side effects for women? I had friends tell me not to do it because it caused heart issues with some women and even heart attacks. What are the risks?

I can't speak to medical studies or scientific research, but I can give you my own personal experience. High fats are not bad, in and of themselves. High fats are bad for the body when consumed with high carbohydrates.

In the past six months, my blood sugar levels and insulin levels have dropped, my cholesterol levels have improved, my thyroid function has improved, my weight has dropped, my hormone levels have balanced out, and my entire set of bloodwork has improved. My endocrinologist was so thrilled with this that he started talking about me being a success story and that he wishes his other patients would pay attention to the progress I've made in such a little time.

It made me slightly uncomfortable because I feel like I'm really just getting started, but I realize that to some degree, everything he said has merit. My inflammation in joints and such has lessened. My wrist which used to be 8.5" - 9" around is now 6.75" due to loss of fat and inflammation to the joints!!! I didn't even know it was possible for me to have normal sized ANYTHING...

You can have heart scans and bloodwork done before you engage in this way of eating fully, so you can see your own numbers improve and not just how you feel... The chances of this diet, when properly executed causing heart issues with some women is slim and generally related to previously undiagnosed or untreated underlying medical issues.
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything already said but I would like to add that I think you are drinking too much oolong tea. Oolong has caffeine in it and is dehydrating for the body. 1 cup in the morning is fine but then switch over to an herbal tea or just plain water. Remember to also sweeten with something like Stevia not honey or sugar. A good book to get is The Bulletproof Diet or Keto Adapted. They have some good recipes but also go through much of the science behind Keto.
  • YukiBuns
    Options
    Okay thank you guys again for your input and advice. I'll try cutting back on the Oolong. it'ls just become a staple in my diet so far because it's helped me drop the 17lbs I've already lost due to it's small help of fat burning properties and health benefits. I'll try cutting it down to 2 cups a day and then eventually boil down to 1.

Thank you guys and I hope I can take this kind of Lifestyle along with the rest of you. I would really love to.
    I'm going to fast on Monday to help detox a bit and start this life change on Tuesday. Wish me luck!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you and I have no idea what Oolong is :)
  • YukiBuns
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »

Oolong/Wulang Tea is basically a mix of properties between Green and Black tea. It has amazing health benefits and is 10x better than Green Tea as far as benefits go. It also has a few properties that help block Carbs and get rid of fat. It's not a weight loss life-saver but it has helped me through my Journey so far and it will be hard to get rid of it considering on Keto you can't take too much caffeine. There is decaf Oolong but I rather just drink the original Organic as it is. I could experiment with Decaf and see if it still has the same effects though maybe and swap that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »

Oolong/Wulang Tea is basically a mix of properties between Green and Black tea. It has amazing health benefits and is 10x better than Green Tea as far as benefits go. It also has a few properties that help block Carbs and get rid of fat. It's not a weight loss life-saver but it has helped me through my Journey so far and it will be hard to get rid of it considering on Keto you can't take too much caffeine. There is decaf Oolong but I rather just drink the original Organic as it is. I could experiment with Decaf and see if it still has the same effects though maybe and swap that.

Caffeine and dehydration are personal considerations. Personally, I have (Endo approved, btw), an energy shot first thing (like 5-hour energy type, but the generic), and double strength black tea (two tea bags at once) with coconut oil both early in the morning. I've had tea or a caffeinated soda in the afternoon on occasion, but I don't always need it, but as long as your overall caffeine levels don't dehydrate you, it sounds like the other benefits out weigh it.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it affects your sleep or hydration. Caffeine, when used carefully, can be very good for your body, along with all those amazing antioxidants and such. Figure out what works FOR YOU. That's the most important part of any plan... And remember, you may get the energy boost and not even need or want your tea. Plan to be flexible and adjust as you go! :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    considering on Keto you can't take too much caffeine

Where are you getting your information?
  • YukiBuns
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    considering on Keto you can't take too much caffeine

Where are you getting your information?

Most people that I have asked regarding Oolong or anything with Caffeine involved usually tells me to stop drinking the Oolong because Caffeine can slow down Ketosis or some weird drawn out explanation. That is why I'm asking in this group for advice considering Keto and what is and isn't allowed. You also see a few things on Google Search and Youtube regarding avoiding Caffeine on Keto but some people have stated they drink Coffee every day on Keto and does it just fine. I'm guessing it just varies per person and each result is different.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    You also see a few things on Google Search and Youtube regarding avoiding Caffeine on Keto but some people have stated they drink Coffee every day on Keto and does it just fine. I'm guessing it just varies per person and each result is different.

It does vary by person. Most of what seems like it might be overdoing it is the fact that it's all day, not just in the morning. For some people, caffeine after a certain time can cause issues with sleep. I drink basically 3-4 cups (18-24 ounces) of coffee in the morning, but it's normally all gone by 8:30am. People wouldn't generally comment on that, because it's early in the day. As long as it doesn't affect your sleep & you're drinking plenty of water, I wouldn't worry about it until you get to the point where you start tweaking to figure out what works best for you.
  • YukiBuns
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    You also see a few things on Google Search and Youtube regarding avoiding Caffeine on Keto but some people have stated they drink Coffee every day on Keto and does it just fine. I'm guessing it just varies per person and each result is different.

It does vary by person. Most of what seems like it might be overdoing it is the fact that it's all day, not just in the morning. For some people, caffeine after a certain time can cause issues with sleep. I drink basically 3-4 cups (18-24 ounces) of coffee in the morning, but it's normally all gone by 8:30am. People wouldn't generally comment on that, because it's early in the day. As long as it doesn't affect your sleep & you're drinking plenty of water, I wouldn't worry about it until you get to the point where you start tweaking to figure out what works best for you.

Oolong has very little Caffeine compared to Coffee. It has a slightly higher amount than Green Tea, and Green Tea's caffeine effect is barely noticeable to a lot of people, so is Oolong. I've drank Oolong 30 minutes before bed and can still sleep fine at times when I didn't drink it on time. So 3-4 cups throughout the day I thought wouldn't be an issue. I'm not drinking the Oolong for caffeine either really, I'm more-so just drinking it for the health benefits that follows and it seems to help with digestion in my opinion with my meals and making me go to the bathroom on a regular schedule. Without the Oolong my system seems to be pretty halted. Kind of weird, I know. But it works for me.

I'll just see how this works out with Keto and if the Oolong really is posing a problem with it, I'll lessen it as I go or maybe just drink it every other day or something. Only time can tell!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

Oolong has very little Caffeine compared to Coffee. It has a slightly higher amount than Green Tea, and Green Tea's caffeine effect is barely noticeable to a lot of people, so is Oolong. I've drank Oolong 30 minutes before bed and can still sleep fine at times when I didn't drink it on time. So 3-4 cups throughout the day I thought wouldn't be an issue. I'm not drinking the Oolong for caffeine either really, I'm more-so just drinking it for the health benefits that follows and it seems to help with digestion in my opinion with my meals and making me go to the bathroom on a regular schedule. Without the Oolong my system seems to be pretty halted. Kind of weird, I know. But it works for me.

I'll just see how this works out with Keto and if the Oolong really is posing a problem with it, I'll lessen it as I go or maybe just drink it every other day or something. Only time can tell!

Sounds like a great plan, there! That's all we really can do it live it, adjust it, and move on... Out of curiosity, how much caffeine is in each 8 oz. serving? I do just traditional black/pekoe tea, and I wouldn't mind changing up the type if there was one with more benefit!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of caffeine being an issue. I drink like 3 12 cup pots of coffee per day...
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can't even think about starting my day without my coffee :) Hasn't affected any losses that I can tell.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I can recommend Puer tea & Fei Yan Tea - both have stronger weight-loss benefits than Oolong.

I lost all of my 18 pounds weightloss before going keto whilst drinking Puer & Fei Yan teas.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Have you set your macros in MFP? If not, set them to:

70% fat
    20% protein
    5% Carbs

Try to limit your carb intake to 20 grams (less is better), but never go over 40 a day.

Fruits are pretty much out. Try strawberries, raspberries instead. Blueberries ~ but 2 oz max.

Eat fatty foods like cheeses, meats, chicken WITH skin, heavy whipping cream and many dairy products except milk. Yogurt is hard to find (that is suitable for carb count), so forget that.

Just about any nut is good, but limit them to 2-3 servings per day

Do NOT subtract fiber from carb count

Make friends with people on this group that have a track record of good weight loss, and LOOK at their diary. See what they eat.

Read EVERY label and make sure you know the serving sizes.

If you eat mostly at home, GET a digital gram/oz scale and weigh ALL your major foods that have carbs and calories.

Be religious about using MFP, log everything

Don't worry about making mistakes with this way of eating

Experiment, if things don't work, try eating less carbs, or less calories.

Get refined coconut oil, butter and bacon.

Skip any and all meals you want to, especially if you're not hungry

Almost every other diet, you can cheat, and not get caught or suffer ANY consequences, BUT you can't cheat the Keto diet, if you eat too many carbs consistently every day, you will not get Keto adapted!

Ask lots of questions here

You DO NOT have to exercise to lose weight. I lost over 70 lbs without doing any exercise AT ALL! I couldn't, I have sciatic nerve damage and water on my knee. I just recently started doing work outside, and it is getting my strength back slowly.

Make sure you get enough electrolytes!:

"Keto-flu" and Sufficient Intake of Electrolytes
    Are You Having Charlie horse/leg cramps?
    Need Potassium?

I have now lost 90 lbs with 35 to go....

Learn how to prepare lunch and dinners in batches....

Read some of my links below my signature...

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

• Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I can't speak to medical studies or scientific research, but I can give you my own personal experience. High fats are not bad, in and of themselves. High fats are bad for the body when consumed with high carbohydrates.

In the past six months, my blood sugar levels and insulin levels have dropped, my cholesterol levels have improved, my thyroid function has improved, my weight has dropped, my hormone levels have balanced out, and my entire set of bloodwork has improved. My endocrinologist was so thrilled with this that he started talking about me being a success story and that he wishes his other patients would pay attention to the progress I've made in such a little time.

It made me slightly uncomfortable because I feel like I'm really just getting started, but I realize that to some degree, everything he said has merit. My inflammation in joints and such has lessened. My wrist which used to be 8.5" - 9" around is now 6.75" due to loss of fat and inflammation to the joints!!! I didn't even know it was possible for me to have normal sized ANYTHING...

You can have heart scans and bloodwork done before you engage in this way of eating fully, so you can see your own numbers improve and not just how you feel... The chances of this diet, when properly executed causing heart issues with some women is slim and generally related to previously undiagnosed or untreated underlying medical issues.

KnitOrMiss, this is fantastic! So encouraging.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sweetteadrinker2---I've never heard of caffeine being an issue. I drink like 3 12 cup pots of coffee per day…

WAIT…THREE 12 cup POTS a day of COFFEE… uh, did I read that correctly? are you like undercover with the misleading name of Sweet tea drinker? <grin>

PS: Mods..who on earth took away "Italics" option, and substituted the almost NEVeR used 'strike thru' which is used for editing papers and not needed for posts and conversations?? makes no sense