C25K on the treadmill

Options
hbarnesccs
hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
Does anyone else do their workouts indoors? My neighborhood is not safe at night, so on workdays I have to do it at the gym. On weekends, when I can run outside, I find It is easier. Probably because it's more varied. To those of you who do it indoors, how do you ensure you are getting the best run in you can without getting bored?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of my early training on a treadmill. It's less effort than running outside, so if you want to ensure adequate effort, increase the incline to 2 degrees or so.

Yeah, it can get boring. I usually watch CNN. My wife reads her kindle.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I started indoors but got outside and never looked back, but the neighbourhood isn't bad so I don't feel threatened. I also run in the morning, there appears to be a lot less bother in the morning. I struggled with maintaining interest and spent most of the time speedo/ clock watching
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that I have to cover the clock with my towel or I just stare at it. I always listen to my favorite podcasts on running days, or hit the gym when I know Law & Order will be on.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my C25K on the treadmill. It's still really cold here in Pittsburg, NH, and I do it in the morning. I will increase the incline to 2% as recommended. Seems logical. I don't want to die once I can get outside!
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just did my W3D1 on the treadmill because the weather was bad. It honestly seemed easier than running outside. I didn't get as tired, even with the new 3 min. run time. However, I went a lot less distance (like 1.7 miles instead of 2) & it says I burned less calories than the "map my run" app usually does. Kind of disappointing since I ran an extra 3 minutes before the cool down!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »
    I just did my W3D1 on the treadmill because the weather was bad. It honestly seemed easier than running outside. I didn't get as tired, even with the new 3 min. run time. However, I went a lot less distance (like 1.7 miles instead of 2) & it says I burned less calories than the "map my run" app usually does. Kind of disappointing since I ran an extra 3 minutes before the cool down!

Dreadmill are notoriously inaccurate in their speed determinations. SO you may have been going slower or faster than indicated. Depending on how you set up the dreadmill and map my run, you may have got a different estimate of teh calories burnt. With C25k the key is time on feet so don't worry about distance or calories just enjoy being on your feet. It sounds like you have done well, so congratulations and enjoy the rest of the programme

• nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I do mine on a treadmill at home which is set to a 5% incline which can't be adjusted. It's either that or running outside on the pavement and having to cross the roads every few minutes and there's also the traffic to take into consideration, another thing is that I'm not confident enough to run outdoors at the moment.

I've just done week 3 of C25K but I put my music on loud so I can't hear my feet pounding away and my mind just wanders off. I do have to make sure that the setting is always showing my speed and not time otherwise I do find it difficult to carry on, despite how many times I tell myself "just wait for this track to finish or you've only got 5 mins left" as I suddenly start to feel really tired and lose all my energy and that's all I can focus on.

I only focus on the distance when I'm on the cool down but I was also surprised like @karla24687 that it showed a shorter distance despite running for longer.
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If I'm worrying about calories, I don't look at the treadmill or my phone apps. HRM is the only thing giving me an accurate read.
  • Longtobelean
    Longtobelean Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 1. I'm doing 2 miles each time. I find that if I keep my tablet on the app and my tv on a show, the time flies. I have done the program plenty of times, but this is the first time after baby #4. I'll run a 5K on the 4th of July. My 9 year old is suppose to run with me.
  • HannahsMother2012
    HannahsMother2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Finished week 8 day 2 after a bad week. Attempted it once and failed, but today I did it! So close to graduation...ekkk! Do I consider myself a runner at this point?! I always feel a little intimidated saying it!
  • HannahsMother2012
    HannahsMother2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oops meant to post in the daily check in thread! Sorry lol
  • namarc0
    namarc0 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill. I am on w3 d3. I set my treadmill to a 2% incline for running and a 3% incline while walking. If I feel good while running, I'll increase the speed in tenth increments until I hit my stride and then I'll maintain that. The focus for this program is about time not your speed or distance so do what's comfortable and if you can go faster while maintaining form for the whole interval, kick it up a notch. Good luck!!!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm using the treadmill right now but plan on taking it outside at some point. That is my ultimate goal. THis my 2nd go at C25K. I got as far as W5D3 last time and couldn't get past the 20 minute run. This time I'm starting on the treadmill, presently on W3D3, and once I get back week 5 I plan on starting from day 1 outside. I'll have to do it in the mornings though because I also don't live in the best neighborhood and wouldn't feel safe running after dark. I'm super self conscious about running in the daylight but if I ever want to be a serious runner I'll have to get over that & just do it!
  • melliesmommy
    melliesmommy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion of the 2% incline and covering the clock with a towel. I'm also a clock watcher. I use the C25Kpro app with Pandora's "Classic Rock Power Workout" station in the gym while my husband lifts weights and the kids play in the kid room there. I hope to complete the program on the treadmill and then do it again outside before trying a 5k.
  • QuallyLeShay
    QuallyLeShay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion of the 2% incline and covering the clock with a towel. I'm also a clock watcher. I use the C25Kpro app with Pandora's "Classic Rock Power Workout" station in the gym while my husband lifts weights and the kids play in the kid room there. I hope to complete the program on the treadmill and then do it again outside before trying a 5k.

This is what I'm doing too! I live in a really secluded area and won't go out by myself for now. Too much could happen! I'm working up to the 2% incline. I'm just excited can run for more than a few feet without collapsing now! Lol
  • RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside. Try going to a park or track rather than the gym. I find that I enjoy the run so much better if it's outside. I feel way more free
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I ran a lot indoors over the winter and found that it was hard to keep myself motivated and going. Once the seasons changed I've been outside and it's been much easier for me, there are several parks to choose from and I enjoy watching the wildlife as I run. Is there a park near you- I've found that most parks have a lot of walkers and runners into dusk.

So, not a lot of advice for the treadmill- I just had to turn up the music and force it. But it just wasn't working well for me. Hope you find your groove with it.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Is running indoors in place ok? No treadmill here and not really sure I want to go public just yet. I just did w2d1 without a problem. I figure when I do move it outside I'll have to move back down in weeks. I'm just concentrating on endurance at this stage. 4 months ago I couldn't climb a flight of stairs without getting winded. This morning I ran in place for 2 minutes straight.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Is running indoors in place ok? No treadmill here and not really sure I want to go public just yet. I just did w2d1 without a problem. I figure when I do move it outside I'll have to move back down in weeks. I'm just concentrating on endurance at this stage. 4 months ago I couldn't climb a flight of stairs without getting winded. This morning I ran in place for 2 minutes straight.

I really don't know, but I will try to chime in, anyway. I think whatever you do to get moving is a big step in the right direction. If jogging in place is what you're comfortable with, then DO IT! However, I expect that running in place uses a very different set of muscles than what you will use outdoors. You are probably correct that you will have to move back.

You have made some great progress; you should be proud!

I would really encourage you to go outside and do whatever you can. Don't worry about what others think, or about being seen. You are doing more than most people, just by getting up off your tush! I can definitely say that when I started C25K I would not have been able to run in place for 2 minutes!!! Just don't worry about your pace. Remember that you CAN run slower than you walk. Shoot . . . you might start out moving not much faster than jogging in place!!! And that is OKAY!!!!

Keep up the great work!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

[quote="DaveAkeman;32983024"
    You have made some great progress; you should be proud!

I would really encourage you to go outside and do whatever you can. Don't worry about what others think, or about being seen. You are doing more than most people, just by getting up off your tush! I can definitely say that when I started C25K I would not have been able to run in place for 2 minutes!!! Just don't worry about your pace. Remember that you CAN run slower than you walk. Shoot . . . you might start out moving not much faster than jogging in place!!! And that is OKAY!!!!

Keep up the great work![/quote]

Thanks Dave! It's not so much that I care about being seen and what people think as it is about not succeeding. I probably shouldn't concern myself with that either, because anything I'm doing is more than I've done. Right? Right! You just talked me into taking it outside... in a week or two!!