C25K on the treadmill

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    I did my first outdoor run today, too (week 4, day 3). Also slowed down but I was able to finish!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    I did my first outdoor run today, too (week 4, day 3). Also slowed down but I was able to finish!

Well done for the following the programme and advice. With that mindset you will crush this programme. Best wishes on the rest of your journey

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    kristafb wrote: »
    I did day one outside this evening. How is it possible that I can run 5-8 minutes on the treadmill but that one minute run outside almost killed me!! I did the whole thing, didn't stop but it wasn't pretty. And SLOWWWWWWWW averaged an 11minute mile but its a start and to be honest by the end of if my runs felt stronger. I think I"ll finish the program on the treadmill though alternating back and forth until I finish inside & can just run outside.

11 minute mile is not slow. :smiley:
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I did day one outside this evening. How is it possible that I can run 5-8 minutes on the treadmill but that one minute run outside almost killed me!! I did the whole thing, didn't stop but it wasn't pretty. And SLOWWWWWWWW averaged an 11minute mile but its a start and to be honest by the end of if my runs felt stronger. I think I"ll finish the program on the treadmill though alternating back and forth until I finish inside & can just run outside.

Did day 2 last night and the runs were 12 minutes per mile so a bit slower but the walks were faster. Overall the full 30 minutes covered 2 miles.

I'm having a really hard time with my breathing outside. I almost start to hyperventilate. How can I improve this? or does it just come with practice?
  • ftrobbie

Did day 2 last night and the runs were 12 minutes per mile so a bit slower but the walks were faster. Overall the full 30 minutes covered 2 miles.

I'm having a really hard time with my breathing outside. I almost start to hyperventilate. How can I improve this? or does it just come with practice?

Agree with Ceci that 11 min miles are not slow. Why are you starting to hyperventilate? My first thought would be to slow down but unless you know the trigger it is hard to offer any advice.

• kristafb
    ftrobbie wrote: »

Agree with Ceci that 11 min miles are not slow. Why are you starting to hyperventilate? My first thought would be to slow down but unless you know the trigger it is hard to offer any advice.

I just really haven't mastered controlling my breathing yet I guess. I am a mouth breather and as much as I try to breath to my nose when I'm running I just can't do it. But I keep trying. I used to have exercise induced asthma but that seems to have improved over the years and I don't need a puffer any more so I think the hyperventilating may just be me panicking a bit? Not sure. My main struggle when running is definitely my breathing.
  • ftrobbie
    I used to have to use salbutamol to control my asthma but no more. However I still take it with me on long runs and half marathon events. I haven't needed it for almost a year but I keep it almost as a security blanket. Son they will be time expired!!

Re breathing lie on the floor, place a book on your stomach and practise belly breathing through your nose and mouth. Focus on moving the book up and down. Doing it as the only activity rather than trying to run and practising different breathing techniques may help you get your breathing under control.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    My brother (lifelong runner) suggested that I try some controlled breathing- (breathe in for 4 steps, hold it for 4 steps, breathe out for 6 steps, for example.) Practicing longer deeper breaths for a short time helped me with the breathing. Concentrate on the breathing and making an effort to have longer deeper breaths. I like robbie's advise to practice some while you aren't running too. Or even just trying it on a fun run, where you don't have to really worry about how far or how fast you are going and you can just concentrate on the breathing.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    All this talk about practicing controlled breathing confuses me. I haven't paid any attention to my breathing while running. Thinking about this, though, I think it is likely because I am a musician (woodwinds), and controlling my breathing is something I have focused on most of my life, so it probably just comes naturally.

One exercise I love for musicians is to put a piece of paper against a wall and hold it there by blowing on it. See how long you can hold it there. For musicians, this helps to improve your lung capacity, but also to focus on not releasing the air all at once. For runners . . . I don't know if it would be helpful. But it IS fun!!!

I have definitely noticed that running has helped my music. I can now play much longer phrases without taking a breath than I could 6 months ago.
  • kristafb
    Thank you so much for the breathing advice!! I will definitely try them all! I read an article about the belly breathing but didn't really pay it much attention, thinking I'll worry about that when the time comes. Well I guess its time. lol.

I did w1d3 outside tonight. I had been on w6d2 on the treadmill but got outside. I really struggled with my breathing tonight. Running I'm ok but as soon as I walk I go into full wheeze mode. Its not pretty. I think part of it is that its very humid and warm here lately and the air just feels heavy. I have solbutamol too but find it makes my heart race so I wanted to avoid it if possible but perhaps I'll take a shot next run and see how it goes.

Thanks again!!
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    edited July 2015
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    I used to have to use salbutamol to control my asthma but no more. However I still take it with me on long runs and half marathon events. I haven't needed it for almost a year but I keep it almost as a security blanket. Son they will be time expired!!

I get the same way. My asthma is almost fully controled but my mind used to cause me to wheeze if I couldn't find my inhaler. The fear/anxiety of having an attack caused an attack.
  • kristafb
    I've been sidelined for over a week with an ankle issue. Every time I try to run outside I end up with foot or ankle issues. I have really good shoes, had my gait analyzed and fitted propertly so its not the shoes. I do fine on the treadmill so I'm going to continue inside for a while until my joints are stronger. That is once I can run again. :|
  • SimonT181
    SimonT181 Posts: 49 Member
    I run on the treadmill as well and wonder how different it will be running outside, I am doing walking at 3 mph and running 6 mph is my walking too slow. I find 4 mph is too fast and 3.5 is 5 button presses and some times forget as I slow down from a run.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    The one really big difference between the Treadmill and Outside is that you have to become a good judge of what your pace is and whether you need to speedup or slow down. Sign up for some 5km races once you have completed the program and have fun. Since making the transition from Dreadmill to Real World It has to be a Really Nasty Day ( Blizzards, Tornados, Lighting, Hurricanes ) to keep me from going outside. We grew up being told to dress for the weather conditions outside and that's all I do. @Just_Ceci some great ideas for breathing exercises. @DaveAkeman described it best for me and breathing as I have never really had to think about it.
    Everyone is doing great, small incremental steps lead to big goals being reached.
  • joy4strength
    joy4strength Posts: 24 Member
    SimonT181 wrote: »
    I run on the treadmill as well and wonder how different it will be running outside, I am doing walking at 3 mph and running 6 mph is my walking too slow. I find 4 mph is too fast and 3.5 is 5 button presses and some times forget as I slow down from a run.
    You asked if 3.5 is too slow....that is only up to you to decide. But what I do is at each interval I increase the speed. So if the first interval I did 3.5 the next would be 3.6, and so on until I can't increase more or I am done. Then the next run I would start at 3.6 and so on.

It is really different to run out side. At least for me it is more exhilarating. I like to run on the treadmill during the week so I can control/increase my speed. Then on the weekend, I take it outside and just do it the best I can. I try to do a longer run on the weekend too.
  • anandaamrita
    anandaamrita Posts: 17 Member
    I run on the treadmill too - I listen to a series of podcasts. Think of myself multi-tasking - taking in some good news/ current affairs while getting my run in. I hear treadmill is easier than outside but I'm finding it tough as it is; will work myself up to 2% incline soon. ;-) Starting week 4 tomorrow - wish me luck... Good luck @hbarnesccs and everyone else.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    I've been sidelined for over a week with an ankle issue. Every time I try to run outside I end up with foot or ankle issues. I have really good shoes, had my gait analyzed and fitted propertly so its not the shoes. I do fine on the treadmill so I'm going to continue inside for a while until my joints are stronger. That is once I can run again. :|

Depending on what your actual ankle issue is, but one thing I've found that always helps me when my ankles get a little snarky at me, is to simply balance on one leg. I've now made this part of my post run shower routine. I'll stretch my quad and balance on one leg/foot for 30 seconds and then sides. If you need to start with a shorter time frame, start and build up.

• kristafb
    taeliesyn wrote: »

Depending on what your actual ankle issue is, but one thing I've found that always helps me when my ankles get a little snarky at me, is to simply balance on one leg. I've now made this part of my post run shower routine. I'll stretch my quad and balance on one leg/foot for 30 seconds and then sides. If you need to start with a shorter time frame, start and build up.

I've been off track for a while. Struggled with a bout of pneumonia & then some really hot humid weather here through september. Now that my breathing is feeling better and its cooler in the house I'm going to start again on the treadmill through the winter months. My ankles have been an issue since I was a kid. I have an extra bone in one that, although is not issue enough to have it removed, it does cause pain at times and that ankle is weak. Working on strengthening it is the way to go, doing the one leg thing you mentioned actually works great, I just need to get in the habit of doing it daily. I really want to master this running thing. I'm determined. Just got to get my body to cooperate. lol

• citylife624
    citylife624 Posts: 28 Member
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was the only person who actually preferred the treadmill. I live in a city (Pittsburgh) with a ridiculous number of hills and my neighborhood has a ton of them. I'm afraid if I try to run these streets, I'll lose motivation when I can't make it. I'll have to remember that 2% incline trick because I do eventually want to run outside.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    So glad I've found this group and thread!
    I'm currently doing C25K and have been doing it all on the treadmill. I'm also recovering from Illiotibial Band issues (ITBS) in my right leg and was wondering if I should increase my incline? Has anyone recovered from ITBS?