Five Days Dairy Free - 4th to 8th May (and beyond if it works!)

Options
1235»

Replies

• wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

Concluding anything after just a short time span is a gamble. But up to you how to fix your issues :) For example when someone has non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFL) it can take up to several months depleting that organ fat, before other metabolic processes work properly again.

I'm thinking I have no idea how complex this weight loss/health business is...How in the world does a simple person like me know exactly how to get it right.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Everything is trial and error, I think. There may be so many more factors that we haven't even considered. I think I'm getting more analytical, yet more confident and calmer about it all. And I'm finally back to my low weight from last month. It's taken me almost 3 weeks to do it. So whichever right thing I have been doing this week, I want to keep doing it, especially when stalled. I think the most important lesson I have learned is to keep going even if I have a bad day....just keep swimming...

My high weight on Day 1 was the result of indulging on my birthday, because 2 days before that weight, I was at 96.7, almost at the point of getting back on track. It's very interesting for me to watch what happens if I eat a bit of sugar or more veggies....2 kg gained ! I think the weight I lost this week was recovery from the birthday gain, because after all, I had already supposedly lost that weight.

Day 1 - 98.7 / 217.14
    Day 2 - 97.3 / 214.06
    Day 3 - 97.1 / 213.62
    Day 4 - 96.5 / 212.3
    Day 5 - 96.1 / 211.42

Now at this point I'm back at square one. I just had a big breakfast which will carry me all day I hope, because I'd like to fast until tomorrow's supper of roast chicken. I'm in training for the brunch on Sunday. Yikes, hope I won't be back at the starting point again. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Looks great, @Kitnthecat! Just keep swimming is a good motto; that's what it boils down to. (My pessimistic side says, yeah--but it doesn't take much for the nose to slip under the water...) We might see the effects of increased carbs rather quickly, but then again, who knows. I'm re-reading Volek and Phinney's book and am reassured about the raise to 40. Will see if my body agrees.

Have a lovely brunch on Sunday! Happy Mother's Day!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    @Wheatless 11 hours from now I’ll know if I have any First Day results LOL Somehow or another I’ve had 41g carbs today. Net. I always use net, so I shouldn’t worry too much. Struggling with keeping the fat high though, through lack of logging brunch until after I ate it. I should have had butter on top.

@Foamroller Speaking for myself, the results last time I went dairy free (for only 5 days) seemed very fast and positive so I was hoping for a repeat performance, which didn’t happen. Obviously it was a slim hope, but worth a shot LOL Thank you for keeping us on the path of truth though.

@Kitn my goodness, you’re the shining star here, well done!!! I hope it stays gone for you.

I’ve remained free of any dairy except butter (which I haven’t had yet, but will shortly) today, but any result tomorrow could now be impacted by the raised carb level so there’s no way I can draw any conclusions about the dairy free challenge. Today was to have been the last day anyway so, for me, I’m declaring my scientific conclusion of ‘I haven’t got a clue!’ and backing away quietly into the forest :D
  • happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am down again.5 but if things stay true to form, I'll find it for tomorrow's weigh in, lol....so for the week, down .5

• wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    @GrannyMayOz Fingers cross for you, hoping for a lower number for you in the morning---knowing that patience might be the order of the day. How did it feel to eat 41 carbs? It's kind of a big adjustment I think. I'm so used to not eating them, I don't even think about including very many.

"Backing away quietly into the forest..." LOL! Love it.

Sleep well!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Hi @happylife I'm glad that you had a weight loss, though it would have been wonderful if it was about ten times that. Still, downwards by any degree is a good thing o:)

@wheatless Thank you, I hope so too. The extra carbs were surprisingly easy to spend. I got some sweet potato and had some with brunch and some after dinner and they were gone! I could actually have a coffee while we're out tomorrow even though I know that cow juice or soy milk aren't ideal.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm watching you, GMO. Caffeine increases cortisol. Don't do it! And go to sleep already! :)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sorry. thought i was on skype.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I'm watching you, GMO. Caffeine increases cortisol. Don't do it! And go to sleep already! :)

Sentence one - eeeeek! ;)
    Sentence two - curses! It's my one treat. It's instant coffee, and weak.
    Sentence three - mumble, rumble, grumble.
    Sentence four - almost. The Man got home from work at 1am and we're just sharing a... *whistles skywards* and will then send up zzzzzs o:)

• wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Coffee increases cortisol? Decaf too? Nooooooooooo. Coffee is my one weakness. (did you see Lark Rise to Candleford?)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just caffeine. And it's a bigger spike if you've been without for a while. You seem to adapt to the caffeine level, and the cortisol spikes are reduced with adaptation.
  • GrannyMayOz
    edited May 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Just caffeine. And it's a bigger spike if you've been without for a while. You seem to adapt to the caffeine level, and the cortisol spikes are reduced with adaptation.

Hooraaayyyy. I love adaptation. I'm adapted. I am, I am, I am ;)
    Coffee increases cortisol? Decaf too? Nooooooooooo. Coffee is my one weakness. (did you see Lark Rise to Candleford?)

Yes, what a *beautiful* TV show that was! I always thought Lark Rise was the hamlet my grandmother was born and raised in. It wasn't, but they are both in Oxfordshire and about the same size, so that show particularly touched my heart.

And my weight report for this morning is down 100 grams (.2 of a lb). Yesterdays macros were C43 F92 P69 calories 1283. So fat was lower than my 123g goal and calories were a lot lower than my 1550 goal, but it was the first day of change. After all the weight gains I've had between 14th Apr and 5th May, I've actually been down 3 out of the last 4 days. ˅200, stayed the same, ˅500, ˅100. So it's possible that the 'dairy free except for butter' has had a positive effect, and it's definite that the higher carbs for 24 hours have not set me back. That's all I know for a fact at the moment ;)

I still have 300g to go in order to equal my lowest-to-date-weight of 82.4 kgs / 181 lbs, which happened on 27th Apr. And perhaps I should point out that that hadn't been a sudden or massive drop, I'd inched my way down to it through hard work, not jamminess ;)

[Being 'jammy' is a British term for undeserved fortune, and is normally pronounced in the brief sentence 'Jammy git!'.]

Cross-posting the final part to the '2 Ladies' thread.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I had so much dairy today, like a cup or more of sour cream and cheese. I suck at being dairy free, at least when I am trying. I had gone months without it up to this point. LOL
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    lol....that's so funny. The cows in your vicinity aren't afraid you're going to eat them anymore, since they know you just want to milk them instead.....
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    LOL @Goat Yup. The best way to crave something is to tell yourself you can't ;)