Workout check-in - May-king big changes this month

Options

Replies

• cherisseb96
    cherisseb96 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pretty good day today
    Squats 5x5 @70# (really happy with my this but my back feels like the weights are crushing the left side....it goes away once I start the set but I am a bit bothered by it)
    OHP 5x5 @55# ( felt heavier than I thought it'll be but still 'light'....def not struggling yet
    Deadlifts 1x5 @115# ( thought these went slow but when I checked the videos they went pretty fast off the floor.....the only problem I have is my shins are killing me....they really hurt after the warm up sets ....I was grunting through the the working set out of sheer pain of the bar scrapping my shins not muscle fatigue lol......anyone know how to help shins heal faster?)
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts A

Lunges 5 x 5 @ 50 lbs; goblet squats 1 x 5 @ 25 lbs; Leg press 1 x 5 @ 360 lbs

BP 5 × 5 @ 63 lbs

Row 4 x 5; 1 x 3 @ 73 lbs.

Planks 3 @ 45 seconds
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Workout A today!
    Squats 5x5 at 160#. These felt good. I decided to test my 1RM after. I did 1 rep of the following: 165/170/175/180/185/190/195, then finally 200!!! I'd did it! I hit my huge goal of back squatting 200# this year!

Bench 5x5 at 115#.
    Rows 5x5 at 80#.

Accessories:
    Upright rows 5x8 at 65#
    Push-ups 5x5
    Cable rows 3x12 at 80#
    Hip thrusts 3x10 at 45#
    Front shoulder cable lifts 3x12 at 20#
    Side shoulder lifts 3x12 at 20#
    Walked for 20 mins after.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio Day

Went at 11 am but since it rained last night and is cloudy today, I ended up wearing my sweatshirt. So, no worries of getting too hot and I don't work till later so that makes it okay. Monday I work at 2pm so can't jog late. I jogged a whole 33 minutes this time. I was going to go for 32 but when adjusting the playlist it ended up at 33 instead. Not bad though knees got a little tired during. Getting closer to 5k.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    the only problem I have is my shins are killing me....they really hurt after the warm up sets ....I was grunting through the the working set out of sheer pain of the bar scrapping my shins not muscle fatigue lol......anyone know how to help shins heal faster?)

Ouch! :( I'd start wearing knee socks or long pants on deadlift days.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Workout A today!
    Squats 5x5 at 160#. These felt good. I decided to test my 1RM after. I did 1 rep of the following: 165/170/175/180/185/190/195, then finally 200!!! I'd did it! I hit my huge goal of back squatting 200# this year!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    xcalygrl - wow. I totally missed that. Awesome squats!

cherisseb96 - not sure on the healing faster. I always wear knee-hi socks but found they also help me from having my shins ache at work since I spend a lot of time on my feet on a hard surface.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    whoops, I forgot to log last night's lifting session.

Squats 5x5 - 205lbs - working back up to 225lbs - These were easy, like I took the short break easy. I also adjusted the warm up session to be less, which I think has been killing me in the past.

Bench 5/5/5/5/3 - 100lbs - working back up to 105lbs - my elbow was doing some wacky flaring on these and I dropped the bar too fast on my last set causing me to be stuck... well, I had a spotter today so it was fine.

Row 115lbs - skipped as I ran out of time.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    So, had to take 3 days off to rest my legs (have been killing them lately) but 2 new PRs today, Sunday will be my last SL 5 x 3, then I am moving on to Wendler (going to try to start with BP on Monday, we will see). No accessories till Wendler, giving my last couple of SL workouts (for now, never say never) all I have.

Workout A (Fri)

Squats 3 x 3 - 175

Squats 5 x 3 - 215 (PR)

Bench Press 2 x 3 - 90

Bench Press 5 x 3 - 100

Pendlay Row 2 x 3 - 100

Pendlay Row 3 x 5 - 130 (PR)
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    the only problem I have is my shins are killing me....they really hurt after the warm up sets ....I was grunting through the the working set out of sheer pain of the bar scrapping my shins not muscle fatigue lol......anyone know how to help shins heal faster?)

Ouch! :( I'd start wearing knee socks or long pants on deadlift days.

So that's why some lifters wear knee socks! :P
    Awesome job xcalygirl!!!
    Dawn congrats on your run!!!
    Everyone else you all rock!

Weights are getting more challenging!
    Walked a few minutes & did warmups on all with just the bar first.
    Squat 90#: 5,5,4,5,5 (Recorded as a fail so repeating. I think I lost concentration on the 3rd set but allowed the full 3 minutes on the last 2 & did fine. Glad to repeat it though bc I want to be sure my form is ok)
    BP 70# 5x5 (was tough and felt a little unbalanced so staying here for next workout)
    Pendlay row 55# 5x5 ( felt really good am enjoying this lift just wait till it gets heavier tho! Lol)
    Later in the afternoon did the muscle challenge wow from the last 2 weeks. Fun stuff! Ended the day with the foam roller and Theracane while watching a movie at home with the fam. They had popcorn which I made, I had water with mint. Out of calories for the day and am tired of going over in the last hrs of the day dang it! Happy weekend everyone!!!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Another meh workout. I don't know what it is recently, but I have just been feeling weak. Maybe I am not eating enough to support the weights I am at. I dunno. I am just going to keep plugging away.

Squat - 5,4,4 at 145 lbs. This is a new high for me. I probably could have done all 5, but my form was not where is should be and I didn't want to push it.

DL - 1x5 at 170. Had to rest for a couple seconds between each rep and felt lopsided.

OHP - 3x5 at 52.5 lbs. These actually were ok. I will do 55 next time.

Row - 3x5 at 60 lbs. Light day.

Close grip BP - 3x8 at 45 lbs. Good weight.
    Barbell curl - 3x8 at 35 lbs
    Cable Crunch - 3x10 at 40 lbs
    One pull up attempt (forehead level) and 5 negative pull ups.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    squat: 75. medium-challenging, form felt better than usual.

ohp: 1x5@45, 1x5@50, 1x3@50, 4x5@45. so there we go. i finally crossed the border into 50lb turf. too heavy for all 5 sets, but one and a half is a start and i quite liked my form. next time i'll try for two full sets at 50, and hopefully take it from there.

ohp SUCKS with the way i always approach it feeling so much much stronger than the lift turns out to teach me i am. it's just maddening.

deadlift: 5x1@130. not ecstatic about form but they weren't bad enough to scare the horses either. considering i did strung-together sets of 5 each for warmup, with weight increases. i just need more reps with deadlifts. i'm not laying down any solid muscular patterns just doing five of them every four or five days.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Tonight was better than Thursday at least. Work was the usual, boring since I had to cashier but we had a lot to do with not quite enough people. That will be all weekend though. At least tomorrow is rest day, though I should do dishes and pack some.

NROLFW Stage 4 - B3

warm up low bar squats 3x5 @ 95 - I was going to do 90 but adding 25's is easier. Went fine.

wide grip deadlift from a box 3x8 @ 125 - okayish but my left hand calluses weren't happy.

bulgarian split squat 3x8 @ 25 - kept it the same
    underhand lat pulldown 3x8 @ 80 - still manageable but heavy

reverse lunge from box 3x8 @ 25 - same as before but knee wasn't as cranky
    db prone cuban snach 3x8 @ 10 - meh, will stay at this weight

leg press 3x8 @ 180 - okay but heavy
    good morning 3x10 @ 55 - slight increase and felt it
    hip thrust 3x8 @ 40 - kept this one the same, might need to try different spot for these

2 more sessions left for stage 4 but I've also got moving coming up so we'll see how it all goes.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :smile:

Yesterday, did another brick workout for my tri training. It was the first time I rode my road bike then ran after. I did a 12.4 mile bike ride followed by a 3.1 mile run. It was stupid difficult. I thought it would be ok since I've gotten pretty good at doing the same at the gym, but this was a totally different beast. I just couldn't get my legs to work for me. I got it done anyways.
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Workout B:

SQ: 5x5 @ 50
    OHP: 5x5 @ 38.5
    DLF 1x5 @ 65
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Got my long run in today. I wanted to go early before it got hot but I was a little later in leaving than I would have liked. Definitely felt the heat but got through 10.6 k. I have come to the conclusion that I need water with me on runs that are that long.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Thanks everyone :smile:

Yesterday, did another brick workout for my tri training. It was the first time I rode my road bike then ran after. I did a 12.4 mile bike ride followed by a 3.1 mile run. It was stupid difficult. I thought it would be ok since I've gotten pretty good at doing the same at the gym, but this was a totally different beast. I just couldn't get my legs to work for me. I got it done anyways.

When's your tri? Are you doing a sprint? Good job on your training!
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I finally had a day where I failed everything and it wasn't too bad. At least for 2/3 it was progress despite the fails.

Squats - 5/5/5/5/3 - 210lbs. Working back up to 225lbs. Warm ups - 2x5 45lbs / 1x5 135lbs / 1x3 185lbs. I actually got 5x5 here but my last two reps are horrible form, like I was zigzagging up. Figure I'll just redo the weight.

OHP - 4/3/3/3/3 - 80lbs, 2nd attempt. Warm up 2x5 45lbs / 1x3 65lbs. Well at least I got more reps than last time and it was consistent.

Deadlift 1x3 - 215lbs, 2nd attempt. Warm up 1x5 135lbs / 1x3 175lbs. Warm up went bad - I thought I'd work a little on grip and not use straps on 175lbs and my grip failed close to the top of rep 4. 215 I actually got off the floor this time, yay! Though I felt like I was rounding my shoulders at the top before I lock out. Bleh!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 5 day
    145 lbs x 5, 165 lbs x 5, 185 lbs x 5.
    My grip failed on the 6th rep, I've started using a narrower grip and it helps my form but I hold a smooth part of the bar. Slippery I tell ya.
    Because I forgot to plan my accessories I just did 5x8 Sumo deadlifts 135 lbs and 25 lbs goblet squats.
    Now I'm wishing I had packed a snack for my lengthly wait at the passport office. I haz the hungriez!!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Phew! UBB 2.0 Conquer W4D4 - This phase is DONE!

1A) Clean + 2 Hang Cleans EMOTM x6
    95x2, 100x2, 102.5x2 (no misses!)

2A) Push Jerk 4x3 @ 85-90% of 1RM
    105x3, 107.5x3, 110x3, 112.5x3
    2B) Good morning
    100x8, 102.5x8, 105x6, 107.5x6

3A) 20 min AMRAP
    - 100m sled push w/ 25lbs on top
    - 400 single jumps (UGHS!)
    - 400m rowing

Managed 2 + 121 jumps this time around. Sweat dripping off my nose and all that good stuff. Considering I'm running on 3-4 hours of sleep I'll take it.

Gonna take tomorrow easy (maybe hill sprints), do Mini Murp on wednesday (1 mile run, 50 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 150 squats, anothe rmile run), some full body deload workout on thursday, some yoga on friday and then obstacle race on Saturday! Woo! I haz plan!

I hope my body cooperates -_-'