Hello May!

Options
seehe
seehe Posts: 946 Member
odrnxokzujni.jpg

Good morning Hatters- can you believe it is May already? Thought I'd get a new thread started, which made me reflect about what I personally wanted to focus on for this month, and decided to make it a health focus.

It seems like several of us had a bit of a rough time in April. I know I sure did. So all of this reminded me of one of my favorite meditation mantras:

k4s1zwjgqctb.jpg

Personally, I am going to focus on the "May I Be Healthy" part this month and better commit to living a healthy lifestyle.

Here's to success for all of us in this new month of May.

zuzzqgzbufjv.jpg

Replies

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thank you Susan - so true and I love the cherry blossoms...

I'm sure you knew this but the cherry blossoms were a gift to the US Gov't (please don't ask me when)... lol as a sign of friendship (I think?).

And that's why we have the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC every year.

.....Please let me know if I'm correct.

And I love the fact that the note written to us is in cursive... so disappointed that in this world of progress and forward thinking we've lost the art form and it isn't being taught to our children any more...:(

I truly believe that cursive beside being a beautiful art form helps us learn - by making us slow down and think about what we're saying and also I think it helps strenghten the nerves in our brains...

I also feel sorry that for future generations that reading the letters from our grandparents generation won't be as easy - like trying to read a different language almost.

What do the teachers believe on this theory?

Thanks again.

Carol
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Good morning to you all. It is a beautiful day here in the south...going to be 75 degrees. no rain in sight for a while.

Susan, I love the May Mantra. I hope to make May, a wonderful month. I turn double nickels this month....wooohooo!
    I figure I might as well be excited about it..it's gonna happen whether I like it or not. I can say , thanks to MFP and you girls coming into my life, that I feel a hundred percent better than I did 3 YEARS AGO. My life has improved and can only get better with each day, if I keep trying for better things and Never Give Up!!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!

side note:yes, they were a gift, but from who? wasn't it Japan?
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Hi Gail

Yes, it was Japan
  • seehe
    Options
    Happy Birthday month to you Gail !!! It is cause for celebration for sure, and so happy you are feeling so much better these last three years. You're still a baby at double nickels, btw. My next bday is the big 6-0 - yikes!

So I didn't post any specific goals earlier and I would like to set a goal to focus on portion control and healthy food choices this weekend while a friend is visting, and then for the overall month of May:
    May I be healthy by:
    1. Staying Hydrated
    2. Making Healthy Food Choices consistently
    3. Staying in the Green
    4. Getting enough sleep
    5. Exercising 3-4 days a week

Side note- Here's a link to an article that tells everything you would ever want to know about the cherry trees in DC
    http://www.nps.gov/cherry/cherry-blossom-history.htm
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    :D

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Thanks, Susan. Awesome goals. It's exactly what I need to do, too.
    I see you Snoozie!! and raise you two!
    s0219.gif
    s0226.gif
  • Snooozie
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello Hatters!

Thanks very much Susan for starting a new page for a new month.. much appreciated!

It's a little sobering to realize that 2015 is already almost half over already - brings home the saying that time will indeed continue to pass, whether we make changes or do nothing!

I looked up the definition of the word MAY this morning while pondering what my goals would be for this month.. and while there are of course many definitions... these three seemed to coincide with our journeys and with Susan's mantra she shared...

MAY:
    Used to express purpose or expectation
    Used to express possibility or probability
    Used to express a desire or fervent wish

So I will be tying these definitions into my goals for this month, and have asked myself
    - do I have a purpose or expectation from being on this site? (yes I do)
    - Is there a possibility or probability that I can achieve what I want for myself
    (yes, the possibility can become probability depending on the effort I put forth)
    do I have a strong desire to get to my goal weight? (yes I do!)

While I admit I've taken a lot of literary licence with choosing only those definitions, they work for me so they will be the cornerstone I use to set my goals for this month; I have to take a few hours to look at where i'm at, where I want to be, and what I need to do to get there, so will be back later!

A few replies (working backwards from the posts tho lol)

Susan: excellent goals IMO... doable, sustainable, realistic... ergo SMART goals! well done you!

Gail - awesome attitude; and how fabulous that when you look back, you can see the progress and the friendships you've made, and how both have improved your life and your overall happiness! That attitude is one of the keys to enjoying life as we all grow older, so sounds like you've already given yourself the best birthday gift possible!!

OWR - While I agree to some extent that we as women tend to think its something in "us" (or something lacking in us) that is responsible for how someone else treats us, the older I get the easier it is to lose that mentality for me; I'm not sure if its because i'm more confident or simply haven't got the time or energy to worry about it LOL.. but now I have no qualms about dropping the "life suckers" out of my circle, and of refusing to accept anything or anyone's negative comments about me or my life choices lol.. don't like em? don't like me? away ya go... no worries! Family issues are a little more tricky of course lol.. but even there, I've learned to set boundaries for myself; and if my peeps feel the need to offer their unsolicited negative opinions and/or criticisms I simply chuckle cause I know the comments actually reflect them and their own insecurities and has nothing to do with me... I kinda use it as a secret weapon - because instead of getting defensive or trying to defend whatever it is they feel the need to comment on, I simply look at it as ohhhhhhhhhhh.... your need to criticize me stems from your need to feel superior; (giggle snort).. sucks to be you... and away I go still chuckling! It may not be the recommended "warm and fuzzy" method of dealing, but it works for me LOL.. and i'm all about finding whatever works for each of us, so will hope you find the way that works for you, cause stress is the silent killer of women expecially, and we gotta find ways to actually stop it, not just tuck it where it continues to feed on us.

(course, as they say, the opinions expressed are those of the participant, and do not necessarily reflect the views of this station LOLOL)

Gail - loved the smileys btw... took a ccloser look at the one I posted and as I didn't have my glasses on, realized I hadn't picked the happy face I thought LOLOL... duh!! it was supposed to be a smiley hahahaha!!

Rock on ladies... looking forward to hearing everyone's health and fitness goals for themselves for this month!

:)
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow hatters! I just returned from an eight day trip (impromptu and necessary but managed to fit in our annual trip to the mountains for a couple of days). Why oh why do I treat time away from home like a free for all when it comes to my eating?!?! I managed to gain weight, of course....we were only able to hike one day.

So, now I'm back, it's the beginning of the month and I'm ready to rumble! My workout partner is still having health issues so I'm on my own during the week. I have exactly three weeks before we leave for the beach! I'm determined to take off some of this weight gain before then. So it's back to basics for me! Protein and veggies, water and workouts!

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the great weather (it's got to be better than the snow!). Happy spring everyone! Let's all kick it into high gear and enjoy the fact that we can still kick at all!!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    I thought it was a grinning smiley face, Snoozie...hahaha
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    :):)B)<3 ya ladies

Carol
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    The sun has finally decided to show her sunshine and smiley face in Jersey
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've been putting off posting on the May thread, because I feel a bit goal-less and direction-less at the moment! Maybe my goal should be to have a goal :).

I spent last year maintaining, but my weight had crept up, and I spent the beginning of this year losing that extra and a couple of pounds more. I'm officially trying to lose more, but my constant sabotaging of myself (popped into the supermarket for some essentials yesterday - ended up buying wine and forgetting to buy toilet paper, which does make me question my priorities) makes me think that I'm not really committed to weight loss at the moment and am happy maintaining.

After a virus in April, I'm back at the gym and increasing strength, which feels really good. I'm waiting for a couple of hospital appointments - one is to follow up on an exercise ECG I had recently, and I hope that if that's OK, I can get into HIIT. I would love to feel fitter.

The rest of you sound much more motivated and focused than me. Thank you for being inspiring!

It's interesting what you say about writing, Carol. I hate writing and much prefer typing. My writing is practically illegible. But it does feel different writing, particularly when I'm learning something. Physically forming the letters seems to make my brain work differently, I'm sure. I'm also much less likely to make mistakes such as spelling errors (which I make frequently when typing). I do admire beautiful writing.
  • Snooozie
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Vailara... very much appreciated your post as I had hit my goal weight, went into maintenance and regained 15 lbs.. which I am still trying to lose to get back to the place where I was happy and comfortable with my weight - and it sounds like you are actually there - in the happy with me place with your weight. (I also got a huge laugh out of the wine instead of toilet paper... that is SO something I would do!!) It also sounds like you have set a goal already; to pursue trying your hand at HIT to feeling more fit once you get your results back on the ECG. We may have all started out here with a primary goal of weight loss, but many of us also want to improve our overall health and increase our movement and become more fit, so for me anyway its very inspiring to hear about those who have hit their weight loss goals and are moving on to other areas of their health, so thanks for sharing!!

• Snooozie
    Options
    I'm still "floundering" a bit with my goals for this month.... I'm trying to work out what I need to change, and what I need to make my priority and I'm struggling a bit to figure out what those needs and steps to make them happen are. (ok that sentence even confused me!) I HAVE figured out my being vague about what I will do doesn't work for me, I think I personally need specific goals that I can "tick off" as done at the end of the day, so I'm trying to figure out what those need to be right now. My specific goal for this month is to lose 5 pounds of fat. But things need to change for me to accomplish that and that's where I'm struggling at the moment.

I did manage to determine that ONE goal will be to walk again 6 days a week for at least 45 minutes. I started that yesterday, and since I have many mindless household chores to do today, I will use the time to try to figure out the feeding aspect LOL.. :p

So for now, I'll just post my one decided goal and add to it as I figure it out!

1. Walk at least 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week.
  • seehe
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Val- good luck with the ECG results. I congratulate you on getting the added pounds and a few more off. I lost weight and then plateaud for a YEAR no matter what I did, and this year have been gaining and as soon as I lose just a few of the 8 pounds I've gained, I seem to sabotage myself and put it back on! Anyway, I think maintaining your weight and increasing your fitness, assumming your ECG results are supportive of that, sound like great goals.

Snoozie- I hear you about trying to decide where to put your focus. Personally I found focusing on my weight wasn't working for me that well, perhaps because I have been dealing with a lot of stress lately, so I decided to refocus on my health and focus my goals around that. I think it's a great idea that you started with one goal about which you are clear. You can always add another with time as you see fit. Although I listed several goals, they are overall goals, and most days and weeks I'll be focusing on one or two at a time as needed.

SuzyQ- your back to basics goals sound great and you seem to be highly motivated - good for you!!!

I have to admit that regardless of my good intentions, I have been rather decadent with my food and drink choices while playing with my friend who is visiting, but I did get an awesome hike in yesterday on Mount Lemmon where it is cooler than the 96 degrees in Tucson. I am not going to worry about this weekend , though. After recently losing two friends and then not knowing all this week if my former husband and my son's father was lost in an avalanche on Mount Everest, I really needed to decompress and have some fun with a good friend. One more day of fun today, then back on the wagon and goal focused Monday.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday <3

~ Susan

• seehe
    Options
    Thought I'd share a couple of pics from my hike yesterday :)
    yj7skc38jfm3.jpg
    v3eisz3daew0.jpg
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    What lovely pictures, Susan! I really need to get back to the countryside this summer.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Morning Hatters

I'm waiting on my internet peeps to come and change the modem, so if I lose this post it won't matter cause you won't see it anyway ha!

I mapped out 5k on the new trail I found on the weekend yesterday, the trail is a good one, lots of inclines and a few tree trunks to clamber over; and it runs right along the river so I get the best of both worlds; my love of walking by the water and a little more challenge than the paved path at the lake.

Susan - I think you're right; my waffling may be because I was really trying in april to lose weight and nothing happened, so I think I may be unwilling to focus on that aspect of my health again this month. I love your goals, they are totally rounded out to cover all areas of your health and I think that's an excellent idea. Specially with the stress you've been under holy moly girl... I don't think we as women pay enough attention to the negative health impacts of stress on not only our minds but more so our bodies; because they don't present as a physical thing... can't bandaid it. But its imperative we find some ways to at least lessen the iimpact - I love when everyone tells us we have to reduce stress.. but nobody can tell us HOW to do it.. found a few articles with some tips for all of us and have posted them in the interesting reads section.

I have decided to try logging my food again this month; I am resistant to it I know because I do not want to log for the rest of my life, and I think the fact I regained when I hit my goal weight made me think that I was going to have to log forever after all since I couldn't stay at maintenance level on my own.. BUT.. im going to look at it as only a month of logging... at the end of that month I can decide what to do then, I don't have to decide NOW what im going to do with the rest of my life lol..

So my two goals for this month are to log my food, and walk at least 6 days a week for 45 min.

I'm only going to weigh in mid month and at the end.

okey dokey; best get at a few chores..... internet guy sched from 0800-1200.... anyone wanna bet it will be 11:59 when he shows? haaaaaaaaaaaaa..

rock on peeps!

PS Susan - stunning pics... just beautiful!!!!!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies Happy May! I love cherry blossom time when I use to live up north I would travel to DC and enjoy all of the cherry blossoms. I am just realizing from my son who lives in Jersey that they have a great collection I think at branch brook park, are you aware Carol? since moving I am forgetting the names of places in Jersey.

Such nice pictures Susan that you have taken while hiking.

MAY:
    Used to express purpose or expectation
    Used to express possibility or probability
    Used to express a desire or fervent wish

Snoozie thanks for sharing,

I see my purpose as to giving to others,
    Possibility making a difference in someone elses life
    My wish or desire is to be content.

With that said I need to stay healthy and give to myself before I can effect others positively.

Goals for May
    Taking back control of my overeating
    I noticed that when I gain weight it sits around my abdomen and I do not like the way I appear in my clothes, and the way I lost the weight in the past is by counting my calories and that is why I stay on here is motivation from others. I am so glad that I am part of this group it keeps me grounded.

I have to record what I am eating that is the only goal I am putting for this week.

Have a great week ladies.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Milove - love your purpose statement; a beautiful one!!

I'm right with ya on the logging; and I know it's definitely going to be a challenge for me so we'll keep each other company LOL!