Hello May!

Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Oh no! What a shame that you spent all that time thinking you were a year older! I'm sometimes stumped when people ask my age - I genuinely can't remember. And having a December birthday makes it more difficult to count up - I'm usally a year younger than the current year minus my birth year.
    I’m a little sad, Young Son heads out back up to Corny, New York on the 13 th. It has been great to see him twice this year, instead of once a year……….but
    I can go back to cooking less ,If I don’t see it, I can’t eat it!!

Oh, I really feel for you. I thought my son was going to be moving out last year, but he ended up staying at home (for good reasons), and I love having him here! I can't imagine only seeing him once a year. The distances always seem so huge in the US too. The furthest he would have moved was less than 100 miles, but I have MFP friends in the US who have children living hundreds and hundreds of miles away. It must be so difficult. I moved away myself, but don't want my son to do it!

So, we're a week into May, I'm feeling healthy again (thank you!). I know what works for me - I just need to actually do it :) .
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    k2l60242ntqk.jpg
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Vailara, I feel the same way, I don't want him to move out....hahaha...We live in a small town, with not too many extra places to move into, so I tell him not to worry, that when he comes home he can say with us...Just remember to tell his girlfriends that he lives in Pa and stays with his parents when he visits.....gotta keep him out of the "Oh, he still lives with his parents" stigma...lol

I hope all our mother s on here are having lovely day.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    good morning to all you lovely ladies. I hope you are all refreshed after having a day of being waited on hand and foot yesterday....what? was that not the case?...haha...I know you all had a lovely day, hope so anyway.

I awoke this morning with a new sense of desire to get my game face on and get this party started...
    so goals for this week are :smile:
    60 minutes bike exercise in 2 sets .
    8-10 glasses water
    NO sweets- ( Jamie brought in some tiny cupcakes from Wally World that were so tempting and yes, I ate them..)
    Low to No -processed carbs( is that what you call them?)
    Stormy today,be safe.
    Hope you all have a great week...

• seehe
    Options
    Love your goals and fresh motivation Gail! You are inspiring me :)

My goals for this week are:
    1.) make healthy choices 90% of the time
    2.) make necessary adjustments because of hotter temps to make sure to maintain exercising at least 3 days a week

Here's to a great new week for all of us!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Evening Hatters!
    Just a quick note before hitting the sack; been a crazy busy week at work but have been eating well, just not doing as well with my logging as I had hoped; but pleased with efforts to make healthy choices more often, and cut out the crap junk food - that's been the hardest but getting easier.

Milove - I seem to recall practising "40" for a whole year ... so wasted 39 completely LOL..
    Gail - awesome goals - and thrilled to hear you're feeling the desire to kick butt!! You've been so consistent with your biking; so proud of you!
    Susan - great goals!! Can't imagine being out in those temps except for early morning or late night - smart move on the adjustments as needed!

Will write more in the morning; rain and thunderstorms here for a few days so can curl up and write away lol!
  • Vailara
    Options
    My goals this week are to eat well (good food, lots of vegetables, protein, etc), and avoid alcohol (I did have better weight control when I gave up alcohol completely for a while).

It is a shame about the alcohol. I'm not a big drinker, and I used to be able to fit in wine when I was a lot heavier and still lose weight. But after some experimenting, I'm finding it doesn't work for me, despite what the Daily Mail says. I have known this for quite some time, but haven't been acting on it, because I like to keep experimenting to see if I can handle it. Well, I can't, so that's that. I'm not going to give it up entirely, but it's going to be VERY occasionally.

Well done on eating well through the busy times, Snoozie! I find I eat more when I'm busy at work, so I think it's quite an achievement to keep on track during that time - more important to stick to it than to log it. I like your "90%" goal, Susan! So much more realistic than 100%. We have to have a bit of leeway!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Lol yes indeed Snoozie! You understand! lol

Gail I have my oldest son in Jersey and I miss him especially since he had his first child last September, I do hangout with him if you have an i phone you can do face time. I find that it does help.

Vailara; great goals, the avoidance of alcohol is my problem I love a good glass or two of wine. Snoozie, I remember that is what prompted me to asking for your friendship was the wine bottle if you go missing. lol What I have done is instead of buying a bottle of wine, I now buy a little bottle just one so I can only have one glass. They sell them loose in Walmart. I also refuse to have any during the week. Which was so difficult because last night I made pasta and wine goes so well with that. I really could have had a glass it would have kept me from going back for seconds. smh. lol

I did well last week I did my diary M-F

I will continue with that goal this week Count my calories, and add that I will exercising atleast 3 x this week.

Heading to Folly beach this thursday thru Sunday. My niece is graduating and hope to get some R&R in.

Have a great week ladies.

• milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    *Hangout is on the android and facetime is on the iphone*
  • OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh,,, the old devil alcohol. The potion that makes us think we can eat whatever we want. I do try to not have anything during the week. But, do have to admit, especially in this warmer weather, there is something so relaxing about having a glass of white wine or an ice cold Mojito sitting on the deck on a Friday even after a long work week. So, that is what I shoot for. No to anything during the week and limit of 1 per day (hour?) on the weekend.

Goals: More water - no alcohol
    Need need need to give up Tostitos -- seriously Need to give them up! What is my problem? Good grief! Put the bag down and walk away!
    okay that's enough for me right now -- my mind is totally blown with the thought of giving up Tostitos -- :'(

• Snooozie
    Options
    OWR - I dunno if this will help; but I had an addiction to Lays wavy potato chips... seriously I was like a crack user; just opening the bag and getting a whiff of those lovely bits - and that first crunch; I kid you not!! I tried to give em at the start but it just made me think about em all the time... and btw the wavy ones here do NOT come in small bags.. just the big uns!! Anyway. long story a little shorter - I ended up having to wean myself off slowly.. I allowed myself a bag a week at the start (yup... sad but true.. I ate a lot of em!) that way I didn't have the panic attack of having to give them up (cause just the thought, like your tostitos, had me breaking out in a sweat!) im not gonna tell you how long it took me LOL... but.. I eventually got down to one bag every two weeks, every 3, and now I still allow myself one bag a month.... even up to a year ago I swear I would watch the calendar for the 1st of the month LOL.. it took eons, but I know its my own personal kryptonite, so I honestly cant have them in the house. There are still times I close my eyes walking down that aisle in the grocery store, and if they have an endcap with them on sale, my heart starts to thump..... and a few times I've circled back to the display and argued with myself about buying them LOLOL.. I will still occasionally buy them; I can't honestly remember the last time now tho (altho typing this will prolly set me off today LOLOL). BUT I totally get where you're coming from.. so my only unsolicited advice is.. don't cut yourself off completely... maybe start with just cutting out or down from what u eat now.. if its every day, go every 2 days to start.. you get the idea.. AND only my opinion of course! But since I know I CAN have em if I want them now, it's just the battle at the moment I want em I have to get thru rather than the craving an panic attacks thinking I cant have em... lol

Gail - my sister and I use Skype; I have an iPhone she has an android so can't use facetime..

Oh and as for the wine; I love a glass of wine.. I truly do... and I will never give it up personally lol.. but like the rest of you, I've adapted my love to an occasional indulgence... sometimes its a glass on a patio with friends on a gorgeous day, or like milove, if I actually COOK a real dinner, i'll enjoy a glass with it... but have cut back a lot just cause of the calories for sure.. but I do make sure on those days I save the cals for a glass or two lol.. i'd rather go without a sweet or some other item to get me wine!! bahahahaaa... :p

• Vailara
    Options
    I haven't come across Tostitos or Lays, but certain flavours of crisps/potato chips do feel addictive for me. I used to buy supermarket multipacks for an occasional treat because the bags in the multipacks were smaller (about 100 calories) and cheaper and easier to fit into a calorie-controlled diet (and I actually preferred the own brand crisps). At least, that was the idea, but the reality was that the multipack would be calling my name in the evenings - I couldn't concentrate or relax until I indulged - and it would be finished in a night or two. It doesn't matter if it's only 100 calories if you eat three in a row! I've finally had to admit that I can't have them in the house, except maybe very occasionally as a planned treat.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LMAO Valaira!! I have SO done that.. bought the 100 cal packs of crisps or cookies or whatever.. and then eaten 5 pkgs lol... then kicked myself cause I also realized rather than buying a bag of cookies and eating ONE, i'm paying twice as much for 1/2 the amount of product, for them putting it into those calorie pkgs!! ) S Too funny..your post gave me a laugh this morning due to the "been there, done that" factor, so thanks!!! :)

I did my scale hop this morning; I'm only doing an official weight check in update on MFP once at the end of each month now, but 1/2 way thru doing a hop just to make sure it's not going the wrong way! I showed a wee loss this morning, but it struck me my weight really hasn't moved in about 6 weeks now... and if I was at maintenance right now I'd be a happy camper with no change for 6 weeks!! Perspective, eh? ha!!

Doing well with my choices and portion control; eating less and more often, failing miserably with my logging but I can live with that.. focusing on proteins and veg and the water intake.

Hope everyone's having a good week; last shift tonite then a few days off.. yippee!!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hey Val and Snoozie - I only buy the single serve packaging... helps me in the long run... my trick is to keep them in the basement... paying more for the extra packaging will save me money in the long run (less doc appts)... I just can't keep single serves in the office drawer.... the temptation is too great when boredom sets in.. and the munch monster reels her ugly head....

I also heard that companies put chemicals in foods that make us want them more.... and also, if you have a "light" - ie less sugar they add fats, if they take away fats they add sugars... "lose lose" instead of "win win"....lol...

That's another reason that those who drink diet sodas are heavier... your body is craving the sugar that your missing.... and you go for the chocolate bar later... no, don't go running out for one now... lol..

Give me a 150 calorie ginger ale and I'll be a lot happier - no cafeine (spell?) and I can skip the candy bar saving the 250 cals on the waist line...

Also, clear sodas are a lot better for you then colas / fruit flavored...

Talk to you soon.

Carol

:smiley:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    I am right with you all ... OWR, Vailara & Snoozie on the chip addiction...tried to get Young Son to carry them all with him to NY today, but he won't so I have to box them up and put them in Hubby's room along with the sweeties....I'm a member of the can't buy them so I won't eat them....no willpower at all!!
    Carol, I would count the exercise down to the basement as an added reason to be able to go down there 15 times to get them...I'm working it off!!! lol

I know you're heavier than you want to be, Snoozie, but maybe you're at the weight your body is comfortable at with no change in 6 weeks... and yes, a change of perspective is a good way to handle it...so no frustration to set you back..

Thanks, girls, for the ideas to keep in touch...but he doesn't like face to face...we talk a lot if he's lonely, but if he has best-ies working with him, I let him call me...all about not appearing to be clingy... hahaha
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Speaking of addictions...I love potatoes in any form....and can rarely pass a french fry (homemade or frozen) without eating them all... and don't ask me to throw them out.. but last night I only ate 3 and that was to taste for seasonings. so YAY!! Me!! BIG NSV!
  • seehe
    Options
    Yay Gail on your NSV- that took great willpower!!!
    Snooozie, great perspective and congrats on not gaining any weight!!!
    LOL about all the posts about addictions- sometimes I think I'm the only one who struggles with it, and I can beat myself up about it , so it was great to get a good laugh and know I'm not alone! There are many foods I can not keep in the house, and if my son or husband buy irresistible things like a massive bag containing a variety of small bags of chips or sweets or whatever I make my son keep them in his bedroom and my husband hide them in his office!!!

As far as my goals progress, I am pleased about my progress walking the dogs earlier, and doing fairly well transitioning back to healthier choices. I also am setting my calorie goals on a daily basis, starting a little higher and slowly decreasing each day since my appetite increased from when I had been eating more calories lately. Of course it would help if I would then log what I eat to keep track of the calories and nutrients I set LOL.
    Progress, not perfection <3
  • OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh boy - Lays and Helluva Dip was my addiction for a very long time. So, in order to give those up, I didn't buy them and went to Tostitos and salsa instead; thinking that was better. Okay, yes, salsa verde at 10 cal for 2TBS as opposed to the Helluva at 100 cal for 2TBS - however, not such a good plan and I started to grave the Tostitos all the time. Mad at myself because during a "challenge" here in the office last year, they made me give up Tostitos for the month since I don't drink diet/regular pop, candy isn't my thing nor Fast Food. I did it! I gave them up for the entire time and it actually took me a good 6 months (or was that days?) to get back to my level of addiction. Thinking I may have to not buy or have again. thank you all for the encouragement.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    It was so cold and windy at the lake this morning, I decided to skip my usual "bench time" with my coffee and enjoying the view and just keep hoofing.... but I was a little miffed to discover MY bench was already occupied anyway! :s

I'm pretty sure I could have taken him... but wasn't QUITE sure!! o:)

wy7i003rdegb.jpg
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Gail - that's a HUGE NSV indeed! Clapping paws with glee for ya well done!!

I can't hide anything here as i'm in a condo - its only a few steps either way to get me some crap so for me so can't even justify a hike up or downstairs to get something so for me it's just can't have it in the house; fortunately laziness usually wins out if I consider actually going to the store to get something! Hmmm.. who'd a thunk laziness could actually be a benefit?? :D

Susan.. omg I can totally relate to having to reduce the intake a little at a time... I was eating so much more once I stopped logging and attempted maintenance, that getting back to smaller amounts took forever cause I was hungry!! I think that's what had me start eating less and more often; I make a sandwich say and eat half now.. and maybe the other half in about an hour or whenever I feel hungry again.. last night i brought a small pork chop and some tziki sauce and a salad; i had 1/2 the chop and 1/2 the salad around 4pm and the other 1/2 of everything around 7... I think its helping to stop the hungries by eating a small amount more often, kinda re training my tummy to smaller amounts.. I think LOL... I think i'ts a brilliant idea to do the small reduction in cals periodically as you're retraining your mind and tummy... !

OWR.. I also love salsa and tortilla chips... I started buying whole grain ones til I read the nutritional label and realized they have nothing more in the way of fibre/protein/or less salt than the regular ones.. but more carbs an are more expensive LOL.. I have a little more control with them than my own kryptonite product, but not much!
    Whether you go with cutting them out completely, or just started to allow yourself only some every other day for a while; hope you find something that works for you!! Actually, I know you will! :)