May Chat

Options
DreamOn145
DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
Well I am just so ticked off this morning! I have been getting ready for a short trip on Monday/Tuesday so I have been doing a lot of running around. I used this an an excuse to skip my workout and yes, I did get my 6000 steps, but it was NOT the same as my Leslie Sansone workout. Then to top it off my dh ordered a pizza from pizza hut and instead of taking my weight watchers pizza out of the freezer and having it with my salad, I ate two pieces. I knew from the first salty bite this was going to be a mistake. Well I gained 2.2 lbs!!! Yes, I know part of that is fluid, but part of it is NOT!! I told dh when he left for work I am heading for Walmart this morning to get a medium sized cooler and the baby carrots, yogurt and fresh fruit to go in it. I refuse to let this two day trip be an extension of this madness! I swear there is an evil twin lurking inside me that just waits for any excuse to return to her evil ways!! Not this time! I was just so proud of my loss last month and I am going to recoup!

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,755 Member
    Options
    DreamOn, at least it gave you the push you needed to do the right thing on your trip. Mostly water weight from the salt and wheat in that pizza. Be sure to make stops and get a few steps in as that is also good for your whole body.

We all have the evil twin inside of us, we just have to kick her to the curb from time to time. >:)
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We just got back from a three day trip, I went up 1/2 lb, which is sodium. We did walk a lot, on Saturday it was 16,000 steps. I felt like I ate a lot, but I think I did ok. what I did eat I tried to keep healthy (except the BBQ ribs - they were exceptional and I couldn't resist). I have learned to take healthy snacks with me - I am a potato chip lover, salty and crunchy will get me every time. I found Snapea Crisps at wal mart. they are dried snap peas, flavored with wasabi and ranch. Also had Lentils, onion and thyme. LOVE THEM! Baked not fried, so I know they aren't the healthiest of snacks, but better than fried chips etc...
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, I am feeling very frustrated right now :s . My husband has made it clear to me that he is not in favor of me continuing with JC. He does not approve of the expense of food. Since I joined JC (3 1/2 weeks) I have spent a total of $580.00 including the start up fee and food each week. Would I have spent that much on just me for food??? I honestly do not think so, but $100.00/week for food for one person is not alot least I don't think so.
    I have bought pyrex dishes with tops for portion control, I do enjoy making up foods ahead of time. Plus let's face it, if you want to lose weight and eat healthy your going to spend more $$$$.
    I still have all the material from the 21 day challenge, if I was to follow that, which takes alot of pre-planning and portion's made out and either frozen or "baggied" in the frig. My point is I really like the convenice of JC and I also enjoy meeting with a counsler each week. Mine is quite invested in my success.
    SO, bottom line~~~~~ my husband states he will support me any way he can and commends my success so far :| but wants me to stop JC.
    I feel like my back is up against the wall. Do we have debt that $ could pay off OF CORUSE, however I am doing this for me!!

I will keep you all posted!! Have a great evening!!!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Wanda, you did JC long enough to get an idea of how much to eat of a given dish. Buy the foods you know you need, use those containers to portion everything out. This is for you, take the time to do what you need to have done for you. Even if you're the one doing it. I get tired of portioning out things I cook, but in the end it has been so very worth it. I had gone the prepped food route with ediets, it does add up quickly and you get tried of what they send out, so just take what you have learned and apply it to your meal planning. If you have to do food prep instead of something else your husband wants you to do point out, he is supporting you in this.

Remember, MFPals are here pretty much 24/7, if you need to talk out anything. Check locally there may be low cost (TOPS, OOA) or even free support groups for face to face support.

Continue your education on nutrition with the blog posts on MFP as well.
    You can do this, you deserve this.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    We just got back from a three day trip, I went up 1/2 lb, which is sodium. We did walk a lot, on Saturday it was 16,000 steps. I felt like I ate a lot, but I think I did ok. what I did eat I tried to keep healthy (except the BBQ ribs - they were exceptional and I couldn't resist). I have learned to take healthy snacks with me - I am a potato chip lover, salty and crunchy will get me every time. I found Snapea Crisps at wal mart. they are dried snap peas, flavored with wasabi and ranch. Also had Lentils, onion and thyme. LOVE THEM! Baked not fried, so I know they aren't the healthiest of snacks, but better than fried chips etc...

Well done BikerChicks! That will come off in no time at all.
  • njp0306
    njp0306 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have to say that MFP and FitBit have been awesome for me. What other diet plan in my 60+ years have I been able to carry around with me 24/7. I love love it. It is the first time in my life that I've been able to get the eating and exercise together. I am learning so much! And just want to keep going. This is NOT dieting it is a lifestyle. I make mistakes, learn from them or accept them for what they are. Heck a slice of pizza or 2 go for it - have a pout or 2 and get right back at it. That's life. This isn't a month or two or three or four. It's the rest of our lives. Healthy Senior Years. We are at the best time of our lives.
  • wandakc
    Options
    Thank you Joell for your very supportive feedback, I plan to stick with this site, this group of friends are the best!!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Have been MIA for awhile for which I apologise! Just been busy with stuff, visiting others and others visiting us. Managed to stay at goal though am actually spot on goal rather than just below which I prefer to be!
    In two days I am flying off to Hong Kong and Japan so won't be around... might get online but can't be sure.

Hope you all have a successful month and keep on supporting each other. I will be back to deal with whatever I need to deal with in a couple of weeks. :)

Jean
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    njp0306 wrote: »
    I have to say that MFP and FitBit have been awesome for me. What other diet plan in my 60+ years have I been able to carry around with me 24/7. I love love it. It is the first time in my life that I've been able to get the eating and exercise together. I am learning so much! And just want to keep going. This is NOT dieting it is a lifestyle. I make mistakes, learn from them or accept them for what they are. Heck a slice of pizza or 2 go for it - have a pout or 2 and get right back at it. That's life. This isn't a month or two or three or four. It's the rest of our lives. Healthy Senior Years. We are at the best time of our lives.

Hi and Welcome and thank you for your great post....Healthy Senior Years and the best time of our lives...Totally agree :D

Jean

• retirehappy
    Options
    Jean, sounds like an exciting trip. Enjoy! Walk a lot and you should be good. Both those places have tons of wonderful seafood which shouldn't hurt your eating plan at all.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Jean. Have a wonderful trip. Never been to Hong Kong but I love Japan. There is lots of healthy food there too.
    Wanda :heart:
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

It's always good for me to come here and see what others have done to be successful.

At the risk of sounding like one of those pathetic whiners I don't want to sound like... here goes..

Despite my best intentions to exercise more on my own, that is not working.
    I'm writing everything down, eating less, have eliminated a LOT of things from my menu and
    apparently I'm just kidding myself. And have been for the last 50 years.

So.. let's just say I'm starting over again again.. :|

I got a flyer from Fitness 19 that promises a fixed monthly fee of $7 ( !? ) a month if I sign up in the next week.
    It's not far from me and I think I need the structure of a place where I go and won't be distracted.

I may buy a Fitbit too, but I have not committed to it.
    My personality is such that if I feel like I'm being nagged (and isn't that what a Fitbit is.. a 24/7 nag you carry around with you.. *not to demean anyone who has made this choice and finds it helpful, ok, I'm speaking for ME*) I might just get so annoyed that I'd throw it in the pond. And then make myself a hot fudge sundae.

(History: I was married to a chronic nag for 20 years and his perpetual negativity created a knee-jerk counter-reaction from me that continues to this day. He did NOT motivate me except with a desire to throttle him.)

So. Forgive the rant. I'm talking mostly to myself but maybe it will embarrass me enough by sharing this to actually get off my @ss and really do it this time.

I'm going to be 65 next week and obviously time is not on my side. ha.

Tra lala.

pxk2ny4myh23.jpg

• retirehappy
    Options
    Crisbtrue wrote: »
    Good morning!

It's always good for me to come here and see what others have done to be successful.

At the risk of sounding like one of those pathetic whiners I don't want to sound like... here goes..

Despite my best intentions to exercise more on my own, that is not working.
    I'm writing everything down, eating less, have eliminated a LOT of things from my menu and
    apparently I'm just kidding myself. And have been for the last 50 years.

So.. let's just say I'm starting over again again.. :|

I got a flyer from Fitness 19 that promises a fixed monthly fee of $7 ( !? ) a month if I sign up in the next week.
    It's not far from me and I think I need the structure of a place where I go and won't be distracted.

I may buy a Fitbit too, but I have not committed to it.
    My personality is such that if I feel like I'm being nagged (and isn't that what a Fitbit is.. a 24/7 nag you carry around with you.. *not to demean anyone who has made this choice and finds it helpful, ok, I'm speaking for ME*) I might just get so annoyed that I'd throw it in the pond. And then make myself a hot fudge sundae.

(History: I was married to a chronic nag for 20 years and his perpetual negativity created a knee-jerk counter-reaction from me that continues to this day. He did NOT motivate me except with a desire to throttle him.)

So. Forgive the rant. I'm talking mostly to myself but maybe it will embarrass me enough by sharing this to actually get off my @ss and really do it this time.

I'm going to be 65 next week and obviously time is not on my side. ha.

Tra lala.

Not nagging you, just encouraging you to sign up with the gym. When I started going regularly in Jan. I did it because I 'should'. Now I go because I enjoy it. I have seen postive results, there are some nice people to chat with, I have some great instructors who are welcoming and friendly. Since you're diabetic, it will really help your health issues.

The fitbit just flashes a message at you. You set those, don't have to use them if you don't want to, I have several alerts to remind me it is time to get out of the chair. Very low keyed. I don't think everyone needs a fitbit or other activity tracker, it is a personal choice. It works for me, but might not for you.

• CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and feedback! <3

I'm definitely going to check out the gym tomorrow.
    I'll think about the fitbit, but we'll see how I do with the gym first.

B)
  • wandakc
    Options
    Good Evening friends, I have had a good couple of days. I have come to realize that I can do this with portion control and pre-packaging my meals. It will take pre-planning but I am OK with that. I am joining a gym on Friday this week. I am going with a friend, she is also in her 60's and is doing great with weight loss and exercise.
    I know I will need to push myself. Lets face it to reach any goal, one has to push themselves :) Wanda
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Wanda, glad you are motivated to go to the gym and do the prep work for your meals. After all you are so worth the effort.

Cris, there are other cheaper activity trackers, you might want to check some of the others out as well.

I was about to call it a day and put up my feet when I realized even though it is a rest day for me, I just didn't feel ok about doing that without hitting the 10K steps today, so I just went upstairs and put on a dvd and got over 10K. Who is the person who likes to exercise now?????? I never met her before :p
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Cris, judging from that great photo, I would say Time is a good buddy of yours! ~ Kathy
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I haven't participated here before but have a question for you. At my last checkup the doc said don't lose any more weight! You can put on 5# of muscle. Please share if anyone has had a similar experience or suggestions on what type of exercise might help with that. I currently walk 50 minutes each morning M-F and am still working full time at a desk job.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Strength & resistance training is how you build muscle. Sorry there is no other way.

The group Eat, Train, Progress is a good place to ask for assistance getting started. Sara is a moderator over there, check out her profile Sarauk2sf for some real inspiration.

This link is about using dumbells instead of barbells, for working out at home:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569

I am just starting that journey, muscle instead of weight loss only. It is a long path and full of challenges. Good luck.
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks retirehappy! I appreciate your input :)