Chocolate anybody?

Options
PasPlus
PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
I don't miss sugar, cake, cookies etc but I do like a bit of dark, dark, soul soothing, exotic tasting chocolate. Even low carb commercial offerings have too much of the evil carb & sugar for me so - undaunted - I now make my own. It's dark, a little bitter, adaptable and to me, an almost spiritual experience - especially with a really good black coffee on the side. I also use this wherever a recipe calls for chocolate. (I often make mine with no sugar sub as I am completely OVER sugar) Now check the values - low carb so can't have chocolate? You can now :D Great thing is - if it doesn't suit your taste as is - melt it down again and add what you need.

1 cup, Organic Natural Cocoa Butter (health food shops sell 1kg blocks)
0.75 cup(s), Oil - Coconut
0.25 cup(s), stevia or your fave sugar substitute
5.00 tbsp(s), Cocoa - Dry powder, unsweetened

Heat oils gently to melt over double boiler, add sugar sub and cocoa (plus flavours, nuts/nut butter etc but add values), pour into brownie pan or similar and refrigerate. When 'set' cut into pieces and enter a world where bliss is a reality.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 25.0 - put into square brownie (or similar tin and cut into 5x5)
calories 131
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 15 g 23 %
Saturated Fat 6 g 29 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
Sodium 0 mg 0 %
Potassium 16 mg 0 %
Total Carbohydrate 1 g 0 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0 %
Sugars 0 g
Iron 1 %

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    That sounds really delicious. I've been buying the 72% Ghana dark chocolate to top a sugar-free coconut slice that I have as a treat sometimes, but this sounds like a wonderful substitute, and high fat too!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great idea, but I'm suspicious of how chocolatey this sounds compared to eg 85 or 90% dark chocolate! Honestly, now - how chocolatey is it???!!! And any ideas for the raw cocoa nibs I bought my accident - what to do with them? (please read this in a joking way, I'm a bit stupid today)
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    http://www.elementsforlife.co.uk/recipes/basic-raw-chocolate-recipe
    I leave out the sweetener. My first attempt used a little too much cocoa so it's real chocolaty but better than straight cocoa powder. Poured it into 12 silicon muffin cups so have nice little rounds that I quarter and have a nice chunk of 100% dark chocolate once or twice a day that is very satisfying
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    totaloblivia. I think I have read that the nibs can be ground up and used like powder but with a bit more oil already in it
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sounds like a great idea, but I'm suspicious of how chocolatey this sounds compared to eg 85 or 90% dark chocolate! Honestly, now - how chocolatey is it???!!! And any ideas for the raw cocoa nibs I bought my accident - what to do with them? (please read this in a joking way, I'm a bit stupid today)

@totaloblivia A quick google search got me this. Some keto friendly, some not...

http://www.paleohacks.com/recipes/cacao-nibs-what-should-i-do-with-them-2941

https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/cacao-nibs-more/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33383.html

http://www.radicaleating.com/blog/keto-style-cacao-coconut-bars/lang/en

http://dietketo.com/keto-food/fat-bombs/

My Search has a few more good looking links: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1WPZB_enUS625US625&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=keto cocoa nibs recipes
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I had some Lindt 90% dark chocolate yesterday as an indulgence I don't often allow, but the carb count really wasn't bad at all. Something like 6g carbs and 3g fiber for the two squares I ate (which was plenty to satisfy my chocolate craving, since it's so rich). I generally try to avoid making more work for myself, so I'll probably stick to my store-bought chocolate, but maybe some day when I have time I'll try this. :)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I had some Lindt 90% dark chocolate yesterday as an indulgence I don't often allow, but the carb count really wasn't bad at all. Something like 6g carbs and 3g fiber for the two squares I ate (which was plenty to satisfy my chocolate craving, since it's so rich). I generally try to avoid making more work for myself, so I'll probably stick to my store-bought chocolate, but maybe some day when I have time I'll try this. :)

That's what I do. There's one I really like. I don't remember the brand off hand, but it's like $8 a bar or something crazy, but that's okay, because you only need one little square and you're good. It's just chocolate and a little bit of sugar, though. Fair trade, no soy, no dairy, and 85% dark and doesn't taste powdery like one 90% one I tried. I found it in the organic section of my local Kroger. <3
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

That's what I do. There's one I really like. I don't remember the brand off hand, but it's like $8 a bar or something crazy, but that's okay, because you only need one little square and you're good. It's just chocolate and a little bit of sugar, though. Fair trade, no soy, no dairy, and 85% dark and doesn't taste powdery like one 90% one I tried. I found it in the organic section of my local Kroger. <3

I used to buy those too, and I'd definitely prefer them... but this is something I just happened to grab one day at Walgreens "just in case" when my friends were coming from out of town and I knew food would be a big part of our activities. I stuck it in my purse and never even opened it until yesterday, though, so that's HUGE progress!
  • DianaElena76
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Green & Black? I think that's the one I used to get. And there's another one I used to get when I frequented the health food store, endangered species brand I believe... but that was back when I was only feeding myself, not 5 hungry people! :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    86% Ghirardelli here, or sometimes the mint Endangered Species. The Ghirardelli is 3nc per square, don't remember the exact number on the Endangered Species, but it's similar.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The 88% Endangered Species is my current fave. Trader Joe's also has an 85% bar that is very good and about 1/2 the price. Also, try the Equal Exchange Panama (80%?) if you can find it -- more interesting taste than most.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Aha! Found it! It's Pascha, which is more expensive even than Green & Black's, but it's literally cocoa parts, sugar, and vanilla. And OMG, it's awesome!

http://paschachocolate.com/our-products/bars/pascha-85-percent-cacao-vegan/

The company's founder has daughters that have food allergies, so the chocolate's made in dedicated allergen free facilities.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have added cocoa power into my BPC when I want a bit of chocolate, but I make the "Banting Cocoa" when I am craving more. I don't do that often because it is a full cup of HWC! I plan to try the cocoa with coconut milk or coconut cream as soon as I get some.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I have added cocoa power into my BPC when I want a bit of chocolate, but I make the "Banting Cocoa" when I am craving more. I don't do that often because it is a full cup of HWC! I plan to try the cocoa with coconut milk or coconut cream as soon as I get some.

I've made a similar hot cocoa, but I used unsweetened almond milk instead of water, and probably less HWC. I never really measured it, but it was usually a 3:1 ratio or so of almond milk to HWC, so a quarter cup or so of HWC for a 1 cup serving.
  • PasPlus
    Options
    Glad to see so many chocolate fans - and good chocolate too :) Hot chocolate made with water and pure cocoa and maybe a TBS of HWC - Yes! almost a daily treat. Why not BP Choc? Contrary to the urban myths, we do not have to miss out because we are LC. Please remember to post carb and fat levels for products if you can.

My recipe is very chocolatey. If it's not enough then, as I said, melt it down - add more pure cocoa, and/or crushed nibs and try it again. Too chocolatey? add a couple of TBSP of HWC (may make a softer ganache like result) or more of the butter/oil. Don't forget to try the cocoa butter by itself also - an amazing product.

I use the cocoa butter in place of real butter in some recipes and it gives a mild 'white chocolate' flavour. My chocolate, almond waffles are reportedly 'to die for'. I have only found nibs just before I left 'home' last (I work overseas) and have not experimented as yet. Had some 95% with nibs in Singapore airport that really hit the spot - definitely grabbing more when I go through next. Look up nibs - they do have good nutritive values and if crushed they add a nice crunch to chocolate - or probably anything you add them too. My granola will be getting a surprise next time I make it :)

I think I am sleeping when everyone else is awake so sorry for the response delay.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of a heavy handed cocoa powder addition to my loaded hot beverage this morning...had to add a ton of sweetener to be drinkable...won't make that mistake again!
  • PasPlus
    Options
    Yes - there is such a thing as too much :s Not nice to start the day with a mouthful of bitter sludge.

As a first step to pure cocoa for my children - I cut normal cadbury style powder with 50% pure cocoa and now we are cutting 75% cocoa into the tub before use. Cuts the sugar significantly and also reduces the price per cup. Just an idea.
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Fellow chocoholic here too. I have got into posh 100% chocolate from Hotel chocolat in the UK-not powdery at all. Complex flavours like a good red wine. 5 grams at a time is good enough to nibble. (you are supposed to take as two small pieces in succession – the first prepares the mouth, the second reveals the flavours).
    Also there's a 99% lindt that has a very low carb content. 4g for a 50g bar. It made an excellent intense ganache for my fat bombs.

Currently having this for a chocolate fix
    flourless chocolate cake ,
    2 tablespoons good quality cocoa,
    1 egg,
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tablespoon stevia or sweetener of choice.
    Mix and microwave for one minute. 3 servings as so intense! I also add some 100% chocolate chips.

calories 44
    Total Fat 3 g
    Total Carbohydrate 3 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    recipe from http://ditchthewheat.com/1-minute-flourless-chocolate-cupcake-lc-gf/

You guys may be interested in this article about the rise of the cocoa purists! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21847447