Let's Squat!

Options

Replies

• samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    Had to tell DIL to be to quit doing squats or her mermaid wedding dress might not fit her butt (she was trying to make it more developed).
    :smile:

Did my 45 today- was really tough! Maybe listening to Enrique tomorrow in spanish will help! :smile:
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Did my 45 too...but had to break it up in 30 & 15. I noticed that my last set, my toes pointed outward a bit...but this stance also seemed to make me feel it a bit more in the bum. Are toes slightly pointed out bad form?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You toes should be pointed outward.

60-foot.jpg
  • nikoba
    Options
    It's so confusing...as with everything, there's different opinions floating around. Some articles say to keep toes forward and other say outward...something to do with knee torque.
  • samko1976
    Options
    samko1976 wrote: »

In this infogram in the original post your toes just need to be turned out as needed.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The most squats I've seen are with toes slightly out but not too much. I think you need to find a positioning of your toes based on your comfort, I do it with toes forward and sometimes out. My knees are cracking either way and it's annoying :/
  • nikoba
    Options
    Just goes to show my attention to detail :)
    Yeah, I think I was doing toes forward the first week and I didn't seem to get the depth of squat that I do when they are turned out a bit. Thanks for the guidance! (and I'm right there with you with the cracking knees)
  • wabmester
    Options
    Hmm, I didn't even realize the toe thing was controversial. Toes out allows your knees to track better. If your knees start going inward during a squad, you can injure yourself. Your toes should be pointed outward and your knees should track your feet.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    YMMV, but I've always been taught feet straight forward or with a very slight angle. The bigger angle in your image I've associated with sumo squats which use a somewhat exaggerated stance width and have different mechanics as a result (http://www.livestrong.com/article/437557-sumo-squat-vs-regular-squat/ being the first example I found). But for shoulder width/slightly wider than shoulder width stance squats I've always been encouraged to keep my feet straight or nearly straight when I've worked with trainers.
  • wabmester
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Try it both ways and watch your knees. It's all about biomechanics. :)

Edit: here's the video that taught me how to squat (go to 5:57).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPEFsGm9NKE
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Did 20 regular (with toes slightly out) then 25 plié ones. I'm sure I can feel muscles (ok maybe only one) when I do these ones.
  • samko1976
    Options
    @Sk8Kate sounds like a great idea to mix them up a bit. @wabmester Thanks for the prison workout! :smile: It actually is very informative.
  • samko1976
    Options
    BTW did my 50 today. Rest day tomorrow.
  • Rossergirl
    Rossergirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am late, but count me in. I try to do squats everyday, but probably not enough. Maybe this will encourage me to do more!
  • samko1976
    Options
    Welcome @Rossergirl! Hope you find squatting helpful :)
  • samko1976
    Options
    Hi! Back to it. Did my 50 whilst waiting for my bacon and eggs to cook :smile:
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ;(...... I did 60 Tuesday, using weights and did something wrong.... I tried again Thursday, just 30, and couldn't take the pain in my left knee. I really felt them working, hopefully my knee will heal quick....until then cardio and upper body it is......
  • samko1976
    Options
    Oh no @Jbarnes1210! Don't overdo it. I hope your knee gets better soon
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I'm hoping they heal fast too!!
  • samko1976
    Options
    Did my 55 today!