Replies

• samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    60 done!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I used to attend a bootcamp class every week and the trainer made a huge deal of us pointing our toes forwards, which meant I could barely get half way down. With my toes outwards a bit I can get much lower. He'd apparently never come across another woman like me, yet in studies I've done in various workplaces, it's really common for Western women to be like me.

I'm very glad for pointing my toes wherever I please ;) and am getting lower squats now, which I'm really excited about!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I used to attend a bootcamp class every week and the trainer made a huge deal of us pointing our toes forwards, which meant I could barely get half way down. With my toes outwards a bit I can get much lower. He'd apparently never come across another woman like me, yet in studies I've done in various workplaces, it's really common for Western women to be like me.

I'm very glad for pointing my toes wherever I please ;) and am getting lower squats now, which I'm really excited about!

Keeping your toes pointed straight forward while squatting is a terrible idea, unless the point is to increase the shearing forces on your knees! No need to exaggerate like the Sumo squat, but the toes do need to go outboard a bit!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Thanks @DonP I wish I'd known far sooner. It's odd because he seemed like a brilliant trainer otherwise. He pushed me like I've never been pushed before - way past exhaustion and beyond ha ha! I was burning over 500 calories an hour (heart rate monitor using a chest strap) as a 56 year old, overweight woman. We mixed up sprints and all sorts of obstacle course and body-weight stuff. I always wondered what would happen if I pushed just that tiny bit more. What happens? Do you collapse? And if so, does your breathing remain hard and fast, or do you suddenly breathe normally? I always held back just that tiny bit because I was never sure. Got max heart rates in the high 160s normally, and hit 172 bpm twice after a long steady jog and then hitting a massive hill with him yelling "Faster, don't stop...!"
  • samko1976
    Options
    Sometimes I don't fully trust personal trainers @GrannyMayOz after I used one and she pushed me too hard without warming up and I could not exercise for a week as I was too stiff. It's really hard to say as other times they have been great for me too.
    Anyway done my 65 today!
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I totally missed this but a good fit group is doing a squat challenge. Today was 20 basic. It's a month long. Threw it in after my walk.

Most are actually doing at least 10-20 extra.
  • samko1976
    Options
    I totally missed this but a good fit group is doing a squat challenge. Today was 20 basic. It's a month long. Threw it in after my walk.

Most are actually doing at least 10-20 extra.

That's great @DarlingNikki2011! if you have the link that might help others who might want to do it that way. I enjoy this 27 day long one as I can do it to music to make it into a short cardio exercise as well as a core strengthening one.

Also did my 70 squats today and having a rest day tomorrow.
  • samko1976
    Options
    Hello did my 70 squats today. I am almost doing it to the whole of the ping pong song now! :smile:
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Hooray for Ping Pong Song, it just works so perfectly for this! I'm going to get a length of fabric to wrap from one hand, around something sturdy, to my other hand, so that it gives me support (from falling over backwards) while I do correct form squats. I can now do correct form, squatting low, if I hold onto the edge of a table at the same time but, don't like being forced into that position for my hands, or feeling in danger of them slipping off the table. The cloth strap will help me feel secure and safe.

I'm still doing the 100 squats, but improving my form as I go. Exciting!

My trainer was a 'group trainer'. In Australia and New Zealand it's a franchise named 'Step Into Life' and the classes are held outdoors in parks. So the trainer has any number of participants. It was between 10 and 20 each time in my case. My trainer was very well-trained but sometimes he gave us trainees instead and they were too whimpy and didn't push us at all.
  • samko1976
    Options
    Did my 75 today. We're almost there @GrannyMayOz! That's a great way to get on with it and push towards your goals without injuring yourself. I have a dodgy knee so it is a balancing act of pushing yourself and not causing any serious harm.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Keliandra wrote: »
    Trainer had my try a free motion squat machine. It stabilizes my core while I work on my leg strength. Really seemed to help!

Uh oh.

You don't mean the Smith machine do you?
    brendy-scheerer-fit-360-training-smith-machine-squat.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/20tab6/90_degree_squat_in_a_smith_machine_storyquestion/

If so, fire your trainer.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Keliandra wrote: »
    Trainer had my try a free motion squat machine. It stabilizes my core while I work on my leg strength. Really seemed to help!

Uh oh.

You don't mean the Smith machine do you?
    brendy-scheerer-fit-360-training-smith-machine-squat.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/20tab6/90_degree_squat_in_a_smith_machine_storyquestion/

If so, fire your trainer.

Agreed.
  • samko1976
    Options
    Thanks @kirkor for the warning. That machine looks like it would do backs in! Anyway did my 80 today :)