carbs in lotions?

Options
Cher1e1n2
Cher1e1n2 Posts: 22 Member
I recently took care of a toddler on a strict ketogenic diet (prescribed from his doctor) part of my orders were no lotions or creams as they contain carbs.. Anyone know anything about this?

Replies

• Cher1e1n2
    Options
    This is an excerpt I took from a neuroscience organization that treats kids with seizure disorders with ketogenic diet ..

"In addition to following the diet’s nutrition requirements, patients must monitor the ingredients in their medicines and nonprescription products (such as vitamins and dietary supplements). Other that can affect the diet include:

Intravenous fluids that contain dextroses
    Tooth swabs, syrups or suspensions
    Toothpaste, deodorant, sunscreen and other topical lotions
    We must factor in the presence of any carbohydrates in such products when planning the diet."
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi Cherie...crazy isn't it? But if you think about it, your skin is your largest organ and has the most exposure - and the cosmetics industry is really very loosely regulated (at least it is here in the States). Here are a couple of articles from Chris Kresser with regard to both skin care and cosmetics that I found kind of interesting.

http://chriskresser.com/toxic-skincare-products-soap-shampoo-and-lotion/
    https://chriskresser.com/are-your-skincare-products-toxic-makeup-and-cosmetics/

There is also an app (for iOS) out there called think dirty. I think you can get it for android by invitation or something if you request it. I just downloaded it...have not used it yet. It has a barcode scanner on it that you can use to scan products and get a rating back as to the safety of your product.

http://www.thinkdirtyapp.com/about.php
  • Cher1e1n2
    Options
    I understand about systemic absorption through skin but never really thought about the amounts of sugars being significant enough to effect my diet. Thanks nill4me for the links.. I may use some of the alternatives ..

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this the other night but more for body oils.
  • Journey_258_thru
    Journey_258_thru Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow. Never in a million years ever considered that a topical, shampoo, sunscreen, deodorant, etc might be able to sabotage a diet... *WESTERN OBESITY CONSPIRACY THEORY, ANYONE???*
  • nill4me
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not trying to sound like a crunchy hippie...Its not really about diet sabotage or contributions to obesity per se, at least in my opinion, but more a general awareness of the *potential* toxicity of things we take for granted and come into contact with on a daily basis. The generic "we" tends to focus greatly on what goes in our bodies (processed foods *gasp*), and not as much on what goes on them, thats all.

Coconut oil is a fab moisturizer. :smiley:
  • Cher1e1n2
    Options
    I never thought the sugars would get far enough into the body before being used up.. But it makes sense. I wonder how much of a difference it makes.??

I just bought some coconut oil for my coffee and now for my skin too..
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think I would be more worried about the chemical junk in most lotions than hidden carbs. For now, I'll stick with my coconut oil...still working on transitioning other products.
  • nill4me
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I think I would be more worried about the chemical junk in most lotions than hidden carbs.

Agree. As a (fairly large) adult, I'm more worried about toxicity than sugars/carbs.

That being said...I would feel differently if it were my much much smaller epileptic toddler. Think about it. popular brands of vitamins, toothpaste...mouthwash, especially those things geared toward small children...are generally laden with sugar.

• jmiller1028
    jmiller1028 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    wait, what? uh carbs in my deodorant in toothpaste? seriously?
    I can confirm that coconut oil makes a great moisturizer. I just started putting it on my scalp after i shave my head.
  • elpaisajuli10
    elpaisajuli10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello to all, as I am new to the group I am curious to know what your favorite non carb or low carb meals are?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hello to all, as I am new to the group I am curious to know what your favorite non carb or low carb meals are?

Check out these two groups for a ton of better info on that question.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i never would have dreamed about carbs in lotion and deo