Links to Articles, Blogs, and Studies!

Options
grandmothercharlie
grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
If you read an interesting article, blog or study share the link here in our library. We can use a wide variety of topics on weight loss, maintenance, fitness, health, getting older, etc.
animated-book-image-0005.gif

I'll start with a few I have bookmarked:

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    Options
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    An MFP Blog on what is wrong with "Cheat Days!"

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-problem-with-cheat-days/
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    With Alzheimer's in my family, I am always worried about getting dementia in my older years. Heard a story on NPR about the effects of exercise in regards to neuroplasticity and Parkinson's disease. Made me research a little further:

physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/Physical-Exercise-and-Neuroplasticity.aspx

Apparently aerobic or other physical exercise is not only good for body, but also good for the mind!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Here is an interesting article about "ideal" weight and how that varies from chart to chart. However, the second chart is based on age. My doctors and most articles say that over 60 you should be a little overweight according to BMI as it is healthier and you will live longer. My original goal was 130. I then chose 115. But at 145, my friends, family, doctors, and the second chart say I'm where I should be at 145. (Okay, not 145 this week after vacation, but I still say 145!). Unfortunately, I'm honest enough to admit that I am vain and would like to be a little thinner. I am, however, thinking that I might adjust back up to at least 130. Anyway, enough this article and the charts!

nutritionandfitnesspro.com/nutribase/wtchartw.htm
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    2015 is my year to manage stress! Tai Chi, meditation, massages, walks in the woods, etc. I have a huge de-stressor happening soon, I'll tell you about in a week or so (don't want to jinx it!). I have been using a stress relief phone coach through work (with measurable goals like Gayle likes) and it is really working. Here is a great MFP blog about stress and reducing it:

blog.myfitnesspal.com/18-small-ways-to-stress-less/
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ya know I don't think I even register stress until I am overwhelmed, that's about the only time I really notice it. I suppose that can be both good and bad.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Maybe you just handle day-to-day stress better than most, Cheryl! Or, we get so used to it, it doesn't register. I know that when I finally become overwhelmed, I will just shut down. Like depression. It is my body's way of saying, if you won't handle this, I'll handle it for you! Then I just feel too "down" to even be overwhelmed. Since I don't like that feeling, I need to learn to handle the day-to-day better so that it doesn't happen.
  • drags59
    Options
    Hmmmm, maybe who knows. It's like when you are driving to work and you are worrying that you're going to be late; I purposely do not look at the clock as it just creates more angst which creates more stress. I think I have learned that worrying at something that I cannot change only creates more stress for me. So even though it sometimes looks like I don't care, it's more that I cannot change the outcome by the worrying, so I don't exert the energy. It's not like I don't have a stressful job, I just have finally learned to be Teflon which is a hell of a lot easier said than done. And then I have 3 fleabags and they mean the world to me. We usually have a love fest in the morning as they drape themselves over me for petting and cuddling. So when I finally get out of bed, I feel well loved and content. I also suspect my sense of humor takes a load off as well.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Just ran across this slide show that suggests "tricks" to derail cravings. http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20915459,00.html
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    That was a good one, Gayle.

Here is a great NPR story from this a.m. on the benefits of walking over more strenuous exercise:

npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=416482690&m=416736977&live=1
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    That was a good one, Gayle.

Here is a great NPR story from this a.m. on the benefits of walking over more strenuous exercise:

npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=416482690&m=416736977&live=1

I am glad you posted this one. I believe that walking is the best exercise, for me at least. Someone one can do throughout the life cycle and does not have as much stress on joints as other things. Tai Chi and Yoga and swimming are great as well.
  • gaylebodine
    Options

They forgot to mention that the afternoon tired and/or headache can be a signal of dehydration. Course naps are great too! ;)
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I do not nap! I hate to nap. Waking up in the morning is painful enough...I don't want to go through that twice in one day! Seriously, I never nap unless I'm sick and in bed for the whole day.
    animated-sleep-smiley-image-0076.gif
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    "I do not nap! I hate to nap. Waking up in the morning is painful enough...I don't want to go through that twice in one day! Seriously, I never nap unless I'm sick and in bed for the whole day".

Boy, that is one way that we are really different. But love your gif, that is really funny. I really don't like to get up at 6 to take my son to work 3 days a week, just am not really a morning person. But like waking up naturally at around 7:00 or 7:30. One thing I am grateful for is that I can always sleep, unless I've had a bunch of caffeine after 8:00 pm. When I do have insurance, hopefully in October, I will get a full work up and find out why I'm so tired all the time. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my naps. I can feel quite refresh after a 30 minute lie down.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    That should say "refreshed".
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Great summary article on Hydration Myths. I like having a folder for studies, makes it easy to pull them up for reference. I can attest to the walking effects mention in the Walking NPR program - other than house cleaning and folk dancing, treadmill walking has been my nearly everyday activity. I don't like running and have never been to a gym.

• drags59
    Options
    " When I do have insurance, hopefully in October, I will get a full work up and find out why I'm so tired all the time.

Gayle do you ever do the 9 health fair? Except for this year, I have been going since 2006 I think...this year I couldn't force myself out of bed at the crack of dawn. But I always do the blood tests because in 2008, we discovered I had a blood disease and the platelets that should have been around 270,000 to 450,000 were at 16,000. Nearly a year later the weekly vampire visits stopped and I haven't had an issue since. But if the 9 health fair hadn't caught it and I had cut myself, I'd have bled out. This year, I just didn't have enough money saved up for the blood tests and it was all of $55, but I didn't have it.

And if you are on Medicare, they will usually give you a voucher so no money changes hands, although sometimes you have to ask.

• drags59
    Options
    MapDancer wrote: »
    I don't like running and have never been to a gym.

If I didn't have the dogs, I'm not sure I ever would have ventured out of the house on a walk. But I really enjoy watching their personalities mingle on a walk. Austin is so happy to be hooked up to a leash and he stops to sniff leaves and sticks on the sidewalk. And I now know what dog lives where and usually take treats with me.

For some reason, it feels like walking the dogs is accomplishing something, but walking myself doesn't feel that way, it just feels like a chore.