Links to Articles, Blogs, and Studies!

Options

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Those of us with more to lose ...... you know the drill. Besides your picture and your handle create dissonance in my mind, which is a good thing. You look to be in your 30's with a interesting dye job. Hang in there as I know you will.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LOL - interesting dye job! When I was in my 30's, I had highlights put in my hair. When I was in my early 40's, I realized that I had "natural" highlights as the gray started to streak through. I quit dying it then. Has saved me lots of money! Thanks for the other compliment, but trust me, in person, I look 64! The camera and distance hide a lot!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Hey, what's wrong with 64? You are a beauty Charlie!
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Charlie yes, you certainly can register for the Weight Control Study now. There is no mention of hitting your goal - it is just taking off at least 30 lbs and keeping it off for a year. Go to their website and sign up! It says "We send out enrollment packages by mail every 2 months." I have 5 more weeks to wait.

Gayle, I'm assuming that they also checked your thyroid? When I changed from Synthroid (long story) the Dr. had me take nothing for 6 weeks to see where my numbers went. I was surprised to get so achy and tired at "19". Then I started on Tirosint and it just melted away. Back to my perky self. I am most comfortable between 5-10. Though she would be glad to increase my dose to get me to 2-3, I get hyper. Just like I can't do caffeine at all, it gives me panic attacks.

I always wondered why I didn't have a problem with chocolate and years ago discovered that chocolate really has theobromine not caffeine xocoatl.org/caffeine.htm. Related but not the same. Now there are lots of articles correcting that myth :)
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Looks like I might get Medicaid, I will know in two weeks. If so I will do thyroid, test for Sjogrens, really find out where I'm at with arthritis in my hips and knees, and COPD. Interesting about chocolate. Did you see Harry Potter? Do you remember that chocolate cured the effect of encounters with the dementors? I absolutely believe in chocolate as cure-all for stress and general angst.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    I forgot about that chocolate cure in Harry Potter..! It has been part of my triad for weight loss: MFP, Korean dramas and chocolate every day. I was reminded of the saying something like "Begin as you wish to continue".
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @MapDancer I will continue right along with you, except I will substitute a glass of wine for the chocolate.

Speaking of wine, I met an interesting fellow at my favorite little wine bar last evening. He had gastric by-pass, but as you know, that still requires the same work and commitment that we try to muster. He lost 200 pounds and now blogs and does speaking engagements on weight-loss, fitness, etc. As far as I see, he does this all for the love of the topic, not a business.

His blog seems very insightful about things like self-perception, dedication, etc. If you're interested take a look: whs-newlife.com
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    An interesting, altruistic new guy Charlie? Cool. Pam I love that quote! I tried to look up the source and came across a whole book on diet sabotage. Free. http://ir.nmu.org.ua/bitstream/handle/123456789/143403/ba74512b190839237a6eb34711aa1ad4.pdf?sequence=1
  • MapDancer
    Options
    What an interesting read Gayle! I've never seriously read a diet book but I found myself skimming through several chapters and finding that I've had similar thoughts about food and exercise.

Charlie, we just finished episode 14 on Fated to Love You OMO!! can't wait to see what happens next- have serious 2nd lead syndrome! DH has hockey tomorrow early morning but said we have to watch another episode tonight.

I've been thinking about what insights I have concerning maintenance now that I've been between 129-131 for 2.5 months. Nothing seems very special. I thought I would continue logging and gradually add 100-200 calories, and after 19 months I thought it would be a hard habit to stop. But when I saw my goal of 130.0 I unexpectedly lost it.

What I am doing is weighing myself every morning - and it's staying in the same range. I have a better idea of portion sizes and often weigh out servings. Less mindless snacking and more just waiting till meal time - my grumbling tummy doesn't scare me anymore! I'm more consistent with an hour of activity every day - not hard when I have to get on the treadmill to watch some kdrama, and house cleaning is a soothing activity for me ;)

• grandmothercharlie
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @MapDancer You won't have second lead syndrome if you watch The Time That I Loved You 7000 Days. Yoon Kyoon Sang was in something else I watched, but can't remember (Pinocchio maybe). He has such evil eyes. I really like this show. Some people think it is too slow, but the chemistry with the leads is soooooo good, to me it is just enjoyable to watch! Great parents in TTTILY7D, too. I am also really enjoying All Night Restaurant. But, both are real time and I'm caught up so I need an completed series to watch at the gym. Especially since ANR is only a half hour. Total for both is only 3 hours for the week. And sometimes I want to watch something in the evening to relax. I'm so glad you like Fated to Love You. I always worry when I recommend something so highly.

Wow, it is amazing how well you are doing on maintenance. So many people immediately start to gain, even with logging! You really have adopted and adapted to a new lifestyle. You are my benchmark when I get to maintenance.

@everyoneelse: Hope you don't think Pam and I are completely nuts enjoying shows that we can't translate without subtitles. I wish I understood this phenomenom. After a couple of years watching these, I'm still surprised myself.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    No, I think it is interesting and wish I got these, I have never minded subtitles. But, think it could be like developing a taste for kimche which I can't imagine ever doing, lol.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    An interesting, altruistic new guy Charlie? Cool. Pam I love that quote! I tried to look up the source and came across a whole book on diet sabotage. Free. http://ir.nmu.org.ua/bitstream/handle/123456789/143403/ba74512b190839237a6eb34711aa1ad4.pdf?sequence=1

Gayle, this is really interesting! I shouldn't have started scanning! I need to really read this. Thanks!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

Really, really good read. Thanks Gayle!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Funny, just what I needed, found with a search using the quote that Pam shared "Begin as you wish to continue".
  • MapDancer
    Options
    No, I think it is interesting and wish I got these, I have never minded subtitles. But, think it could be like developing a taste for kimche which I can't imagine ever doing, lol.

I never would have thought I would like kimchi. I had never even tasted it before we made our first batch at home. I left it to DH to follow the recipe from The Kimchi Cookbook that he received as a Father's Day gift. I just stood on the sidelines looking at it suspiciously. The tiny mini shrimp with two black eyes really freaked me out. A few weeks later we gave it a go and surprised to find it was good! We've made 5 batches now, always with another friend to get them started too. We love Kimchi Fried Rice and Trader Joe's Pajeon with kimchi on the side.

• MapDancer
    Options
    P.S. Anyone wanting to come to the corner where PA, MD and DE meet for group cooking fun is welcome!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    MapDancer wrote: »
    P.S. Anyone wanting to come to the corner where PA, MD and DE meet for group cooking fun is welcome!

Wouldn't that be great? Then you all could come to the 4 corners in my neck of the wood. Unfortunately travel is not in my budget. http://tipsforfamilytrips.com/utah/four-corners-monument/
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately travel is not in my budget

Yeah....
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Pam, I never hesitated about kimchi. I just figured if you liked sauerkraut or other fermented food, I would like it. Particul How spicy do you make yours? I am lucky with several good Korean restaurants around. I love pajeon. Especially kimchi, ojing'eo and haemul pajeon.

Have you calculated out the basic calorie count for say a 7" pajeon? I never know what to put down. I easily eat the whole thing. Plus the banchan.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Was the best weekend! Was at the Irish festival for a total of 26 hours over a beautiful weekend beginning after work on Friday, a half day of work on Saturday and Sunday until close! Had lots of fun and too much bad-for-me food and beer. Heck on Saturday evening my fitbit battery died at over 23,000 steps and I still had a few hours of dancing and walking left then.

Yesterday I took my granddaughter kindergarten clothes shopping, lunch and to see the movie "Home." We had such a great day! Since she was born, I have gone over every Monday morning to spend a couple of hours. She starts Kindergarten so that custom with her will go by the wayside. I still will have the little one there, but I'll miss not seeing Kayla as much.

Tonight will also be a bad night as it is my ex's bday and he wants to go to Uno's. I haven't had Uno's in well over a year. I think tonight will be two slices of deep dish pepperoni pizza.

I may complain about weight loss slowing down, but then again, I haven't been giving it my all either. I have allowed (and will again tonight) summer activities, getaways, etc. to get in my way. This is not how you lose weight. I know that. But, right now, I am going to enjoy what is left of summer. Do the best at eating the way I should, and I bet I will buckle down once summer activities are over. The gym stays open later. The weather cools and hopefully clears. Etc.