Starting JM's Body Revolution July 13th

Options

Replies

• SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    @hleitner1544 & @LRC1975 Y'all are making me feel OLD. I turned 53 in April! :expressionless:

Workout 4

Today was my first day with this one and I had to modify some of the moves because I can't do anything with any impact but I knew I would and what I would do before I pushed play so I was okay. I used 5/7.5 lbs throughout but think I could have used only 7.5. I'll see how it goes on Friday, when I do this one again. If I still feel okay then I'll definite up the ante. My triceps are a little sore today, which is nice. I don't want to be in a lot of pain but a little DOMS is nice.
  • hleitner1544
    hleitner1544 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sept 28 is the big 40 ugh! Lol
    Well I'm onto week 2 and feel great! My husbands been working out of town since I started BR and is coming home tomorrow night. I feel self conscious to work out when he's around.....
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @hleitner1544 I wish I had a suggestion for you because I think I know how you feel. I exercise before my husband gets up in the morning and he works out after I've gone to bed. It works for us. If you are unable to get up before he does, perhaps you can explain to him that you need a block of uninterrupted time. After all, it is only 30 minutes. Surely he can leave you alone for 30 minutes, right?

Cardio 1

Still not crazy about this workout but I did break quite a sweat and I confess to being happy that today wasn't another strength day. My triceps are still sore from Monday. Another day of recovery will do me some good. :)
  • LRC1975
    LRC1975 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @hleitner1544 - mine is the 25th of Sep.
    I don't like working out infront of people either. Especially since I have put on so much weight.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    This morning I surprised myself. I was able to do the side crunches without tapping the floor, I did 1 full body push-up and then finished off the first set by doing half push-ups (dropping to my knees for the second set of push-ups), and I was an inchworm bad-*kitten* because I did both sets without using my hands and I did more reps in each set.

However, I should confess that the plank-ups are my kryptonite. I had to drop to my knees. Of course, part of that could be that, in addition to JMBR I'm doing PiYo and in that program there's a lot of planks and triceps push-ups and such. What with yesterday being a Core workout and my holding side-planks and doing hip drops and pikes . . . yeah . . . my arms are still recovering from that workout so maybe next week I'll be able to not be on my knees at all. Who knows? What I do know is that every day I am seeing improvement in my strength. Not seeing it in how my clothes fit or on the scale but that will come with time.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Increased my weights today. And seriously, I don't understand why MFP censors things. I was literally quoting what Jillian Michaels herself says.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    I still can't do push-ups and I'm beginning to doubt my readiness for moving onto the next set of DVDs next week. I had to drop down to 5 lbs on the lateral lifts, my knee was not happy while doing camels, and it just wasn't one of my better days. *sigh*

Also, I haven't really been feeling much in my abs, even though I've been increasing the intensity and following along with whomever has a weight or is making it tougher. So yesterday, after I did my PiYo workout, I went ahead and did my husband's ab workout from P90. It was TOUGH! Not surprisingly, since he is on the B level so I expected it to be hard. What I didn't expect is that this morning I didn't feel any discomfort in my abs. They feel as solid as they do any other day. I'm going to give it a day to see if there are any DOMS coming my way but, if I still don't feel much of anything, I may start mixing in an ab workout to my workouts.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    I'm beginning to think I'm talking to myself here, LOL! :p

I successfully used 7.5/10 lbs and yesterday I watched the next level of workouts and I don't think it will be too hard for me. I may drop to lower weights, just to be on the safe side to get my form on point before pushing myself. I want to look at the last DVDs today because I'll be leaving on vacation when I'm doing the final few weeks and I don't know whether I'm going to stop while on vacation and try to pick up where I left off when I get home or if I'll just stop early or what. I think, once I view the workouts, I'll have a better idea of what my options are. If I can, I'd like to take the DVDs with me and just push through but I don't want to pack weights. We'll see how it goes.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Injured myself this morning and now I have a bruised knuckle but I still finished my workout and then did another one afterwards. I'd say it was a very good morning workout.

How is everyone else doing?
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Last time doing Workouts 3 & 4. Monday I begin workouts 5 & 6 and do Cardio 2. Feeling a little anxious because I am not as confident about my ability as I would like. However, I managed to do more than 1 push-up for the first time in my life. Not bad given that I'm 53 and my goal was to do 10 full body push-ups by June 2016. I think I'm going to hit my goal a "little" early. ;)

• muppetfan13
    muppetfan13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can I pop in? This is my third attempt at finishing JMBR. I got halfway through week 7 in 2012, when I weighed 30 lbs. less than I do now. Then I got a really awful sinus infection that settled into my chest, and I quit. I started in January this year, and quit just two weeks in. This time, I am determined to do it. I just finished WO 4 for the second time, so I have one more week of WO 3 and 4.

A little background: I am turning 39 in two weeks, have PCOS and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, so losing weight is really tough. Three years ago, I gained nearly 50 lbs taking Lexapro for depression/anxiety. I was able to lose 20 of that before my thyroid stopped working last summer. I have gained and lost the same 10 lbs pretty much since then. I am taking my family on our "trip of a lifetime" to Disney World next June, and I am bound and determined to be healthier by then. My own personal mantra is 46in46 - I want to lose 46 lbs in 46 weeks so I can be firmly under 200 by the time we go. I started three weeks ago at 236. This morning, I was at 232.6, so I am on schedule. I know it won't be easy, especially with all my barriers, but I'm just taking things one day at a time. I get overwhelmed and feel hopeless if I look too far at my future journey.

I just "rejoined" MFP about three weeks ago, and I have been lurking this board since. I know I will have to modify some exercises, but I remember how strong this program made me feel last time I did it. I love Jillian's no-nonsense approach, but I will not follow the diet plan. I just count calories on my own.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @muppetfan13 You have a great goal and I know you can do it in spite of your barriers. I have severe osteoarthritis (diagnosed last summer) and cervical vertigo (diagnosed after over a year of being in bed in 2008) and it's been hard for me to find the right combination of diet and exercise to get to where I've experienced any success. Plus, I'm at the age where gaining weight is normal and losing weight even harder.

I don't follow the diet plan (although I am thinking about trying a couple of the recipes). My husband is diabetic (diagnosed 2009) so our meals are pretty healthy. And because of my success, he's started exercising regularly this year. In fact, he just left this morning to go visit his family in Kentucky and took his P90 DVDs with him. Seriously, he was never this dedicated before. And it's awesome to see!

• SatiaRenee
    Options
    So glad I won't be doing Cardio 1 again. I watched Workout 5 and I am feeling a bit intimidated about what I'll have to do on Monday. Definitely going to have to make some accommodations because I have to keep things low impact and such.

Onwards and upwards!!!
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Started Phase 2 today and I had to modify quite a few things. I can't do any high impact so I did the squat-jumps low impact, rising only to my toes, but held my weights to add some resistance. I had a very difficult time with the cable punches. My hips kept getting in the way. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your hips out of the way?

I also couldn't do all of the reps. This was definitely a harder workout and I hear that Workouts 7 & 8 are really hard. I can't even imagine. Hopefully I can survive tomorrow's Workout 6 because right now Workout 5 has me doubting my ability to finish out this program.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Phase 2/Week 1/Workouts 5 & 6 and Cardio 2

For Workout 5, I had to bring in some 3 lbs weights because I simply couldn't do the Supermans with a Present with anything higher than 3 lbs. I also decided to anchor my resistance cords in the door, rather than with my foot, which resolved the issue I was having with them during the cable punches. Unfortunately, my left shoulder was hurt the first day I did them and has been hurting every day since but I'm hoping the pain will go away on its own eventually.

Workout 6 is especially difficult for me because I have a balance disorder and between the Stork and those one legged squats with the weights and all . . .

I'm really struggling and beginning to think seriously that I won't be able to finish out this program after all. At least not until I get stronger or something. But I like Cardio 2 better than I do Cardio 1. Not because it's easier, because it really isn't. I just like it better. Needless to say, I have to modify so many things but I still work up a sweat and feel great afterwards.

How is everyone else doing? Are you keeping up? Any tips and tricks for workouts 7 & 8 which I'll be starting next Monday? I hear that 7 & 8 are harder than most of the other DVDs and, given how much I'm currently struggling, I admit I'm a little worried.
  • muppetfan13
    Options
    @SatiaRenee,

I'm struggling this time, too. I feel like last time I really got far in the program, I was already so much stronger at the end of the first phase than I am this time. There are a couple of moves in 3 and 4 that I still can't do. I'm really debating whether I should take an extra week on those or just head on to 5 and 6 and linger there.

I'm having to come to the realization that my Hashimoto's sometimes just makes me too fatigued to work out. My mom also has an autoimmune disorder (rheumatoid arthritis), and I was discussing it with her. She advised me to listen to my body so I wouldn't wear down too fast. So I allow myself one morning a week to say, "Nope. I physically cannot get up at 5:15 to work out this morning." I figure if I force myself to do it and wear out, I'll hate exercise and quit again, for good, which will do nothing to help my goals.

I'm a little frustrated with my new body situation, but all I can do is keep plugging away. Last time, I lost 20" in Phase 1. I won't measure officially until tomorrow, but I'm only looking at 5" or so this time. Yuck.

• SatiaRenee
    Options
    @muppetfan13 I don't know a lot about Hashimoto's but I do know a lot about being frustrated with a new body situation. In 2006, I woke up with vertigo and it took me over a year to learn it is incurable and I'll be living with it forever. Then last year I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis. I mean, I couldn't get diagnosed with some mild osteoarthritis first? I had to go straight to severe? That's not fair!!!

I only lost 1" in Phase 1. But anything is better than nothing, right? I'm doing Jillian Michaels and PiYo back-to-back.

I am going to see what the orthopedist says next week before I make any hard decisions about JMBR. I'm beginning to think a better approach to progressing in the program would be to do workouts 1 & 2 for 2 weeks and then do workouts 1-4 for two week and then do workouts 3&4 for two weeks and continue doing the Phases like that, making each one last two months rather than one. I'm not sure. But I really don't want to give up. Not yet, anyway. Not unless my body really can't do it or the orthopedist tells me to stop.
  • muppetfan13
    Options
    I decided to soldier on through to workout 5 this morning, and I'm glad I did. I like it so much better than 3. The only moves I'm not great on are the push-up to side planks (can only do a couple of those right now) and the tricep push-up (can't extend my arm at all yet). My arms are definitely shaky today. I might stay with 5 & 6 for three weeks. I'll have to see. I made myself a promise that I would complete the program this calendar year, and I'm honestly willing to push through the end, even if I can't complete EVERY exercise the way Jillian wants me to. That will give me something to work for should I repeat the program when I finish.

SatiaRenee, do you have Legionnaire's disease? My dad had a bad bout with that when I was in high school. He will still occasionally get dizzy, but it's much better than it was 20+ years ago.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @muppetfan13 No. I have cervical vertigo. Incurable and probably progressive. The doctors at Emory weren't sure but they helped me by giving me exercises to do that made it possible for me to put my walker in the attic. I'm hoping I never need to use it again but I know that's not realistic.

I have a hard time with the push-ups to side plank too! And I'm giving myself permission to miss a few reps here and there because that's better than risking an injury.
  • muppetfan13
    Options
    @SatiaRenee, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to stave off the degeneration as long as possible.

I did WO6 today, and there were no moves I couldn't do at all, although some of the more plyometric moves are hard for me because I'm still so heavy. The plank rows are really hard, but I can power through most of the reps. I do enjoy 5 and 6 much more than I did 3 and 4, so I am very glad I moved on. I will see how well I do the moves next week before deciding to linger here one more week or move on.

I struggle with the balance moves on my right leg because I sprained my right ankle very badly when I was in middle school, and the ligaments never tightened back fully. Stability on that leg is difficult and requires more leg strength than it does on my left.

So far, so good this week.