I know I'm supposed to eat breakfast, but....

Options
Sherryfood95
Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
I love breakfast and always make healthy choices, but if I start that feeding frenzy too early I can't seem to stop. I am doing so much better by putting off eating until 11, followed by a later lunch at 1 or 2. Somehow that empty stomach puts me in the right frame of mind so that I tolerate hunger better and am less likely to crave sweets. Is this a trigger for anyone else?

Replies

• amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    yes, the earlier I eat the more I eat throughout the day. Im also not typically hungry right when I get up--I need to wait a few hours.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    There's no need to eat right away if you're not hungry. I tend to need to eat every couple hours during the day so I need to eat something within a few hours of waking. I find sipping on hot coffee (black) helps with the false hunger signals through the morning and gets me through to my mid-morning snack. Also, I find a fat heavy breakfast keeps me feeling fuller. For me this is usually sausage and then fiber rich cereal with full fat milk.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    There's no need to eat breakfast, and it's pretty much a personal preference and what works best for you. If I eat breakfast, I'm pretty good for the day and don't stray much from my plan. If I skip breakfast, I'm in trouble and want to eat all day... if it's edible, it better hide! haha
  • RRDKRD
    RRDKRD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not stressing about eating breakfast has helped me tremendously. I also had the same problem, once I started eating it was hard to stop, but now I wait till I am hungry and usually it is not until 11 or noon (and I am up at about 5 am).
  • Garlicmushroom
    Garlicmushroom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    you may be thirsty cause thirst can make you feel like your hungry but you only realised when it's too late.
    to be honest i have a late breakfast half the time or miss it due to being busy.
    Anyway 11 is still the morning so you can class that as breakfast,I know i do then find i'm wanting lunch around 2 or 3 pm.
    it doesn't bother me as long as dinner isn't middnight.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Break fast is simply that, breaking the fast from last night, doesn't matter when you eat it. Some people only eat for a 6 or 8 hour window during the day. Hugh Jackman, when training for Wolverine did IF(intermittent fasting), only ate for 6 hours a day, mind you he packed in 6000 calories between noon and 6pm!
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast and always make healthy choices, but if I start that feeding frenzy too early I can't seem to stop. I am doing so much better by putting off eating until 11, followed by a later lunch at 1 or 2. Somehow that empty stomach puts me in the right frame of mind so that I tolerate hunger better and am less likely to crave sweets. Is this a trigger for anyone else?

You should do some research into intermittent fasting. There is some heavy-duty research out there that indicates, not only is it GOOD for you when trying to lose weight, but it may have significant health and anti-aging effects.

The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was a propaganda push years ago by the cereal companies. If you don't want to eat breakfast...DON'T. And don't feel guilty about it.

• SuzieBWorkin
    SuzieBWorkin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    There's no need to eat right away if you're not hungry. I tend to need to eat every couple hours during the day so I need to eat something within a few hours of waking. I find sipping on hot coffee (black) helps with the false hunger signals through the morning and gets me through to my mid-morning snack. Also, I find a fat heavy breakfast keeps me feeling fuller. For me this is usually sausage and then fiber rich cereal with full fat milk.

Any tips on learning to love black coffee? I am definitely a cream and sugar type of gal.
  • phsst
    phsst Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    pkbrown05 wrote: »

Any tips on learning to love black coffee? I am definitely a cream and sugar type of gal.

Perhaps try a caffeinated tea instead? It might not be as bitter and will have the same caffeine boost to get you going. Here's an example of some.
  • Sherryfood95
    Options
    Yesterday had heavy carb breakfast and again it trashed my day. If I start with carbs I lose all self control for the rest of the day. So tired of eggs and shakes but seems to be safest meal to start with.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yesterday had heavy carb breakfast and again it trashed my day. If I start with carbs I lose all self control for the rest of the day. So tired of eggs and shakes but seems to be safest meal to start with.

I agree. I tend to crave carbs in the morning...but if I eat them I want to eat, eat, EAT all day! Lately, I have been trying skipping breakfast altogether (except coffee) and it is working quite well. I am even able to workout in this fasted state. Also, the weight is FINALLY dropping off. Glory hallelujah! ;)

• Sherryfood95
    Options
    :) glad you are getting results! Today was much better. I skipped the oatmeal.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I was skipping breakfast because it made me feel ill to eat so early, but I kept feeling really shaky by about 11am (and being a teacher can hardly disappear for an early lunch). So I had to teach myself to eat breakfast by starting small and gradually having a bigger bowl of cereal until I was able to stomach a normal breakfast without feeling like I was going to throw up. Might be worth a try? :)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    pkbrown05 wrote: »

Try different varieties until you find one you like. I'm definitely picky about the coffee I'll drink since I don't cover up the taste with cream and sugar (which I never liked anyway).