Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I know I'm supposed to eat breakfast, but....

Sherryfood95
Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
I love breakfast and always make healthy choices, but if I start that feeding frenzy too early I can't seem to stop. I am doing so much better by putting off eating until 11, followed by a later lunch at 1 or 2. Somehow that empty stomach puts me in the right frame of mind so that I tolerate hunger better and am less likely to crave sweets. Is this a trigger for anyone else?

Replies

• amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    yes, the earlier I eat the more I eat throughout the day. Im also not typically hungry right when I get up--I need to wait a few hours.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    There's no need to eat right away if you're not hungry. I tend to need to eat every couple hours during the day so I need to eat something within a few hours of waking. I find sipping on hot coffee (black) helps with the false hunger signals through the morning and gets me through to my mid-morning snack. Also, I find a fat heavy breakfast keeps me feeling fuller. For me this is usually sausage and then fiber rich cereal with full fat milk.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    There's no need to eat breakfast, and it's pretty much a personal preference and what works best for you. If I eat breakfast, I'm pretty good for the day and don't stray much from my plan. If I skip breakfast, I'm in trouble and want to eat all day... if it's edible, it better hide! haha
  • RRDKRD
    RRDKRD Posts: 2 Member
    Not stressing about eating breakfast has helped me tremendously. I also had the same problem, once I started eating it was hard to stop, but now I wait till I am hungry and usually it is not until 11 or noon (and I am up at about 5 am).
  • Garlicmushroom
    Garlicmushroom Posts: 51 Member
    you may be thirsty cause thirst can make you feel like your hungry but you only realised when it's too late.
    to be honest i have a late breakfast half the time or miss it due to being busy.
    Anyway 11 is still the morning so you can class that as breakfast,I know i do then find i'm wanting lunch around 2 or 3 pm.
    it doesn't bother me as long as dinner isn't middnight.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Break fast is simply that, breaking the fast from last night, doesn't matter when you eat it. Some people only eat for a 6 or 8 hour window during the day. Hugh Jackman, when training for Wolverine did IF(intermittent fasting), only ate for 6 hours a day, mind you he packed in 6000 calories between noon and 6pm!
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    I love breakfast and always make healthy choices, but if I start that feeding frenzy too early I can't seem to stop. I am doing so much better by putting off eating until 11, followed by a later lunch at 1 or 2. Somehow that empty stomach puts me in the right frame of mind so that I tolerate hunger better and am less likely to crave sweets. Is this a trigger for anyone else?

You should do some research into intermittent fasting. There is some heavy-duty research out there that indicates, not only is it GOOD for you when trying to lose weight, but it may have significant health and anti-aging effects.

The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was a propaganda push years ago by the cereal companies. If you don't want to eat breakfast...DON'T. And don't feel guilty about it.

• SuzieBWorkin
    SuzieBWorkin Posts: 10 Member
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    There's no need to eat right away if you're not hungry. I tend to need to eat every couple hours during the day so I need to eat something within a few hours of waking. I find sipping on hot coffee (black) helps with the false hunger signals through the morning and gets me through to my mid-morning snack. Also, I find a fat heavy breakfast keeps me feeling fuller. For me this is usually sausage and then fiber rich cereal with full fat milk.

Any tips on learning to love black coffee? I am definitely a cream and sugar type of gal.
  • phsst
    phsst Posts: 28 Member
    pkbrown05 wrote: »

Any tips on learning to love black coffee? I am definitely a cream and sugar type of gal.

Perhaps try a caffeinated tea instead? It might not be as bitter and will have the same caffeine boost to get you going. Here's an example of some.
  • Sherryfood95
    Yesterday had heavy carb breakfast and again it trashed my day. If I start with carbs I lose all self control for the rest of the day. So tired of eggs and shakes but seems to be safest meal to start with.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Yesterday had heavy carb breakfast and again it trashed my day. If I start with carbs I lose all self control for the rest of the day. So tired of eggs and shakes but seems to be safest meal to start with.

I agree. I tend to crave carbs in the morning...but if I eat them I want to eat, eat, EAT all day! Lately, I have been trying skipping breakfast altogether (except coffee) and it is working quite well. I am even able to workout in this fasted state. Also, the weight is FINALLY dropping off. Glory hallelujah! ;)

• Sherryfood95
    :) glad you are getting results! Today was much better. I skipped the oatmeal.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    A few years ago, I was skipping breakfast because it made me feel ill to eat so early, but I kept feeling really shaky by about 11am (and being a teacher can hardly disappear for an early lunch). So I had to teach myself to eat breakfast by starting small and gradually having a bigger bowl of cereal until I was able to stomach a normal breakfast without feeling like I was going to throw up. Might be worth a try? :)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    pkbrown05 wrote: »

Try different varieties until you find one you like. I'm definitely picky about the coffee I'll drink since I don't cover up the taste with cream and sugar (which I never liked anyway).