Stevia in the Raw is evil

Options
13»

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I posted what I think is my body's reaction to the addition of AS in June on another thread. Will be watching for a change when I take them away again! I hope
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    hezrene wrote: »
    I bought some Liquid No Calorie Stevia from Walmart and it's 0 carbs. It has Erythritol in it along with the Stevia. Is that bad?

As long as it is just those two and nothing else, it's probably fine. The liquid one I got had "natural flavors" listed and gave me instant migraine level headaches. I hope you don't have that issue. Most people I know haven't.
  • hkann76
    hkann76 Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It must be the same thing you mentioned above as mine also says natural flavoring. I had it in my coffee this morning with no problems. Of course I was addicted to Diet Coke for so long that the aspartame probably dulled my senses. I'm 3 weeks Diet Coke free though!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    hezrene wrote: »

It must be the same thing you mentioned above as mine also says natural flavoring. I had it in my coffee this morning with no problems. Of course I was addicted to Diet Coke for so long that the aspartame probably dulled my senses. I'm 3 weeks Diet Coke free though!

Congrats! That's great progress...
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I use natvia which is erythritol and stevia. It's not bad and contains nothing else. Has a slight aftertaste. I think it's only an Aus and NZ thing though. It's only 0.something percent stevia which I like as I am not keen on stevia.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with erythritol. You can use it as you would use sugar although its not quite as sweet and no nasty aftertaste. As another Brit....are you a 'teabag' like me??? I cant drink coffee without sweetener but I can tea and to get over the milk I dilute 100ml whipping cream up to 500ml and use that instead. Minimal carbs and cals. I remember reading you need your caffeine Coconuttymummy....maybe you need to look at that and try to cut that back. Not good for your body and its rebound mechanism. Get that sorted and maybe you could cut the sweeteners.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Erythritol is even nice licked off a finger stuck into the container. I like the crunch :-).
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Well, dangit. I switched to Stevia today to see if the splenda I was using in my coffee was stalling weight loss and absolutely hated it. The aftertaste is horrid. I bought some Swerve off Amazon, should be here tomorrow. Does it mix well with coffee and hot tea? I'm like several others here, I can't do black coffee. I can drink tea without sweeteners, but prefer it a little sweet.

Haha, SNAP! That bitter aftertaste is vile :grimace:

• CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    I'm in love with erythritol. You can use it as you would use sugar although its not quite as sweet and no nasty aftertaste. As another Brit....are you a 'teabag' like me??? I cant drink coffee without sweetener but I can tea and to get over the milk I dilute 100ml whipping cream up to 500ml and use that instead. Minimal carbs and cals. I remember reading you need your caffeine Coconuttymummy....maybe you need to look at that and try to cut that back. Not good for your body and its rebound mechanism. Get that sorted and maybe you could cut the sweeteners.

Erythritol is great for keto baking too - not that i do much of that right now... i have that to look forward to in maintenance :smile:

I use HWC in my coffee too, but i use 1 tbsp neat per pint mug (so i guess 1/2 tbsp for a regular sized coffee mug). I wonder if diluting it 1st would cause me to use more or less? Its a great idea for a milk substitute. How much of the 500ml of diiluted cream do you tend to use per mug of tea?

You're right about the caffeine. I was consuming far far too much. I think it was messing with my adrenals. I now limit myself to 2 pints coffee a day in the morning and then i drink fruit tea the rest of the day (i know 2 pints is probably still a lot but its significantly less than i was consuming before). Im going to work on reducing my coffee/caffeine intake more. I might swap 1 of my pint mugs of coffee for tea - that would lower the caffeine a bit i think. Actually i keep meaning to buy some more Yerba Mate tea. I used to drink that all the time a few months ago. Dont know why i stopped actually. It helps with energy levels too but has no caffeine. Im off to order some now - Rosamonte is my favorite brand. Have you tried it?

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I first did Atkins, you could only get stevia liquid from places like GNC. It was VVVVVERY strong and had that licorice taste. (We're talking use an eye dropper to measure it strong) I never could get to like it. At least now the mixture with erythritol makes it more palatable and usable. Skinny Girl makes one with vanilla added that I LOVE in coffee.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    That's what Sucralose liquid is like, GreenAutumnn - super concentrated, using a little pipette to serve it drop by drop. I think 1 drop = 1 tsp sugar.
    But Sucralose doesnt taste dreadful like Stevia. I find it one of the best, if not THE best, sweetener.

I was consuming a huge amount of sucralose but now im conscious to reduce it to a more normal amount it does not seem to impede my ketosis.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I avoid sucralose...it makes me hungry. I also cannot stomach aspartame. One new sweetener I also dislike is that monkfruit. To me, THAT is a dreadful taste. I like stevia liquids, but not the powders. I do use sweetnlow occasionally, especially because restaurants do not have stevia.