Puree Stage is not a picnic

Options
13»

Replies

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting the Mesclegen Genepro Protein also. I wasn't sure if it's a whey protein and if it's approved for bariatric patients? It sounds like a dream product! 30 grams of protein in 1 TBSP!!! Sign me up!!

In order to get 60+ grams a day I feel like I'm adding the unjury unflavored to everything and I'm not a big fan of the pasty taste it leaves in my mouth.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting the Mesclegen Genepro Protein also. I wasn't sure if it's a whey protein and if it's approved for bariatric patients? It sounds like a dream product! 30 grams of protein in 1 TBSP!!! Sign me up!!

In order to get 60+ grams a day I feel like I'm adding the unjury unflavored to everything and I'm not a big fan of the pasty taste it leaves in my mouth.

I did add the unflavored protein powder to everything for the pureed and soft food phase. I used Syntrax brand as my surgeon likes that one. Totally no flavor but it can change the consistency of some foods.

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Despot despite being in pureed stage, I've managed to continue on the liquid diet. I'll have a snack of hummus or maybe some blended soup. Feel like I've been dragging my feet on getting back in to real food.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    @anbrdr - I'm in stage 5 (ground foods) and I'm still 80% liquid. Just take it at the pace you can tolerate. As long as you're working towards your protein / fluid goals.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I know that I've shared this before, but my saving grace was my protein purée. It was awesome cause it could be soup or mash.
    In a crock pot fill with a package of chicken sausage, a sweet potato, an onion, garlic, a couple carrots, (pretty much what ever root veggies you like), and a turnip. Add 1-2cups of low sodium chicken broth. Cook all day or till soft. Purée in a food processor until smooth, adding 2-3 scoops of unflavored (or chicken flavored) protein power and seasoned as desired. I used jerk seasoning.
    It's great cause when I was still in the soup stage I just had to add water, broth or milk to thin it out.
  • klingerman73
    klingerman73 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try that tat2cookie!! I start my puree tomorrow. ;)
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You're probably about done with this stage and have moved on to the soft food stage. I still have trouble with eggs, and have given up on them for a while. I will try again in a few months. Hoping things are much better for you now.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Just this week I have regained my appetite a bit and can eat more of a variety of foods. Eggs still make me nervous so I may wait a while longer to try again. I'm thinking I may try a small salad this weekend. I really miss my greens and so does my digestive track!! Benefiber can only do so much if you know what I mean.
  • anbrdr
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just posting some awesome recipes to help anyone else stuck in the blah-ness of pureed food land:

Liquid Burrito

12oz Grilled Chicken (I used the Archer Farms Natural Chicken Strips)
    1 Can Drained Black Beans
    1 Avocado (medium size)
    1 Can Low Sodium Chicken Broth 14oz
    1 Stalk Celery
    1 Tomato (Medium)
    6 Baby Carrots
    2 Banana Peppers (medium)
    1 Jalapeno
    1 Yellow squash (medium)
    Cube up your meat and veggies. Throw them in the Food Processor with a little broth, to help them liquefy. Depending on your processor, you may only want to add a little at a time, then dump that into a soup pot. Blend more, then dump, etc. Once everything is nice and pureed, add it all to your soup pot. Sprinkle in the seasoning, and feel free to spice it however you prefer. Cook through til hot. If you have a Vitamix, this will be super easy.

This recipe made 7 cups, which for me is 14 servings. I put 1 cup per freezer bag. I have one half at lunch (12:30) then the other serving before leaving work (4:00).

Each serving has 89 calories, 2.3g fat, 8.4 carbs, 8.4g protein, 20mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium.
    As a bonus, add on a little bit of salsa (blended down), Greek Yogurt (better than sour cream), and low fat cheese.

Thai Pumpkin Soup

1 Onion
    1 tbsp Tomato Paste
    2.5 c Pure Pumpkin
    2 tbs Grated Ginger
    1 clove Garlic
    3 c Chicken Broth
    2-3 Thai Peppers (to taste)
    1 c 0% Greek Yogurt
    3/4 c Lite Coconut Milk
    1 c Tofu
    1 tbsp Lemon Juice
    8 tbsp PB2 (powdered, fat-free peanut butter)

Process everything, then cook through. Makes 8 cups/16 servings. I think this would also taste great with some chicken thrown in.

1 cup (2 servings) has: 100 cal, 3g fat, 413mg sodium, 7g protein, 6g sugar, 13 carbohydrates.

Add unflavored protein when heating up your serving, if you wish to buff the protein number!

The best thing about it, was that in under an hour, we had made 30 servings of food. Efficient!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Renaejae - I DO know what you mean! LOL I had been hesitant to try salad. For some reason in my head it just wasn't going to go down. But the other day I had a lettuce wrap from Jimmy Johns and it went just fine. I am quite a bit further out than you, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work at first.
    anbrdr - interesting recipes you posted. Very good of you to share!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Holy cow. Those two recipes look fab, @anbrdr! I'm well past the pureed stage but I may be making these just because. Thanks for posting them!
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes @anbrdr - I had to laugh at the name of the first one though... liquid burrito? YUK! Let's rethink that one - LOL How about creamy burrito or blended burrito?

Things are getting easier to eat these days. I really enjoyed a small greek salad over the weekend. Plenty of feta - lots of flavor! I'm going to give tuna another try today. So strange some of the things that don't bother me at all and those that just sit heavy. I'm 7 weeks out so I'm able to try all foods now and it's just trial and error.

Loving all the ideas here!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Renaejae, I have also found that day to day may be different for me. One day I can have something, and then try the leftovers the next day and not be able to tolerate it. That's not to worry you, but to let you know that if it happens it's normal. I've had this happen a few times. Also, the nurse that runs our support group said that eventually EVERYTHING will go down. Just take heart and know that this too shall pass.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Oh man, I attempted tuna, and it sat on my stomach like a lead weight. I have handled fresh salmon pretty well. It was cooked a little rare, intentionally. Was able to eat some ground chicken last night too.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, once I got to the puree stage, I just tried whatever I wanted. Sometimes, it was a bite and nothing more. On day 18, I ate 2 bites of Chipotle and was so immensely happy, I couldn't stand myself. It tasted good, it sat well, and it wasn't bad for me. My doctor said, "Did it hurt?" I said, "Nope," and his reply was, "Well ok then, enjoy. If it hurts, don't eat it."

The "maybe or maybe not" stage lasted through the 4mo mark. Since then, I pretty much know what I can tolerate and I know my go-to foods that will always stay just fine... 1 scrambled egg, 1oz asiago cheese and an egg white, grilled lamb. I still try new foods, but I don't stress over it. I know I can get my protein in every day. As long as I make that goal, I'm good. If that means I eat tuna all day, then I do. The Starkist flavor packets are a life-saver some days. If I can have eggs and bacon today, great. If not, try something else.

I still drink protein shakes every day. I never gave up one stage of food, especially if it worked. I simply added little things to it until I was into the next stage comfortably. I'm always going to drink protein shakes, because it's an easy way to get my protein without getting too full or literally having to eat all day long. Once I found Bariatric Fusion protein, I never hesitate to drink all of it I want.