That's it, no dairy

Options
13»

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That certainly puts things into perspective. Thanks!

-T.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    So far, day 5, scale weight is down 1.3 kg (~3 pounds). That's going to be water weight, mostly. It's only going to get me back to my standard weight, which was up a couple of kg from all the dairy. It takes a week or two for all the negative gains (from an extended dairy eating period) to go away.

Yeah, I know dairy makes me bloated and gain weight. Why do I have to love it so much?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Has it really only been 9 days? ARG! Longest month ever!!!

But, I did survive 24 hours out of town and eating out. Those are my usual times to splurge on cheese and/or dairy.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Good for you Goat !
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can see myself giving up dairy but I'd also quit coffee. No way can I handle black coffee. I'd rather do white tea first thing in the,mornings.

Excited to learn what your secret project is!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    The secret project isn't really low-carb related. And, I'm waiting to hear about it. It could be a while before anything comes of it. I don't want to talk about exactly what it is, only because I don't want it to fall through and then I have to explain why to everyone.
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am entering week 9 of no grains and no dairy. I don't miss the grains at all, but I sure do miss the dairy. I am putting coconut milk in my small morning coffee, and it just isn't the same. I miss cheese and yogurt too. I do feel better though. No more joint pain. I know it is worth it, so am hoping I just eventually get used to it.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No more joint pain!!! Wow that's huge! So happy for you Keemra!
  • MelodySmith511
    MelodySmith511 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of no dairy, because I haven't lost an ounce in 5 weeks! I was having too much HWC + cheese. I'm also trying to cut out artificial sweeteners (except sweet leaf stevia), flavored water & diet soda.
    For my coffee this morning, I added coconut cream & it was delicious! I can totally do that instead of HWC.
    I don't count butter or eggs as dairy & I don't think they're causing my stall.
    So, we will see how this no-dairy lifestyle treats me.....
  • FIT_Goat
    edited July 2015
    Options
    awi2wz2plvij.jpg

They brought my burger with cheese. I ate it. How many days did I last?

Maybe 16? Oh well. I wasn't seeing any major differences anyway.

The salt dumped out, but I scraped it off after I took this photo. Right now, it looks like it has a snow-cap on it.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    A Year Without Broccoli and 16 Days Without Cheese :)

It was a worthy experiment. What's next?

If it were me, I'd want to take advantage of all that protein intake and start lifting weights. Forget the scale, and give DarthLuiggi a little competition. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I will probably continue to avoid it for the rest of the month. The place I got this burger at was packed today, and the original burger took almost 40 minutes to get out. I didn't want to wait for a refire.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I will probably continue to avoid it for the rest of the month. The place I got this burger at was packed today, and the original burger took almost 40 minutes to get out. I didn't want to wait for a refire.

I actually ended up flat out not eating the burger they brought me and telling them to take it off the bill at a place Monday. My issue is, if you ask me how I want the burger cooked, you should at least make an attempt to approach it. My "medium" order came out very well done, like grey. I have come to accept that if I say medium, I will end up with medium-well and I can live with that, but not sad overcooked meat.

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I just can't eat burgers out anymore. Haven't eaten out much and enjoyed it since going VLC. My cooking is WAY better. ;) Plus if I overcook a steak, it comes out pink instead of red. I can live with that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    keemra wrote: »
    I am entering week 9 of no grains and no dairy. I don't miss the grains at all, but I sure do miss the dairy. I am putting coconut milk in my small morning coffee, and it just isn't the same. I miss cheese and yogurt too. I do feel better though. No more joint pain. I know it is worth it, so am hoping I just eventually get used to it.

When I first started to learn how to control my joint pain I went off most all carbs including milk products. My subjective take was my pain level went from 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale within 30 days. I have added back dairy but I monitor the type I eat/drink so I do not get more than 50 grams of carbs daily. I like dairy and just had 400 calories of in it in my coffee as heavy whipping cream. I do eat some cottage cheese to coat my stomach.

I expect 99% of my pain drop was due to cutting out sugar and grains alone.

As a side note after 40 years of abusing carbs I could not taper off of them but had to ditch them by going off carbs Cold Turkey. It was hellish for two weeks then carb cravings faded fast in a physical sense but there was the mental cravings that lasted a few months but nothing strong enough to reach for carbs. Two months after I went off carbs it was Thanksgiving and I read about Carb Out Night and tried it. I gained 6 pounds of water over night and felt really bad for a week.

That was 8 months ago and I never plan to eat a meal of carbs again in my life.

With that being said I do think dairy can be a drag on our health and each one should monitor its impact from time to time. Going without a food group from time to time can be revealing. Eating some dairy helps me get my fats and protein levels where they need to be. It is a good buffer for coffee that I drink I expect.

Again I am not into the math and science of diet as much as just wanting to keep it simple and see a positive upticking health trend line. :)

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I can only eat predigested dairy ie: yogurt & cheeses. Anything else really reacts with my GI tract, and gunks up my lungs with mucous.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Have you tried breaking it down into dairy fats, lactose, and casein to see if you're sensitive to one but not others? And have you tried grass-fed dairy (some people react to the grains and soy in conventional dairy) or goat dairy (fewer people are sensitive to goat dairy).

How would a person go about doing this? I know @FIT_Goat has suggested less dairy to me in the past. I mean, listen, it's all fine and dandy to cut out cheese when you're not living in Wisconsin. For us Wisconsin folk, cheese is everything.

How many ounces of cheese per day is everyone else eating?
  • MelodySmith511
    MelodySmith511 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    m_puppy wrote: »

None.

None for me for the most part. I started losing weight when I gave up dairy, so I'm really going to limit it. It's been 2 weeks & I just now had 2 oz of cream cheese.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Have you tried breaking it down into dairy fats, lactose, and casein to see if you're sensitive to one but not others? And have you tried grass-fed dairy (some people react to the grains and soy in conventional dairy) or goat dairy (fewer people are sensitive to goat dairy).

How would a person go about doing this? I know @FIT_Goat has suggested less dairy to me in the past. I mean, listen, it's all fine and dandy to cut out cheese when you're not living in Wisconsin. For us Wisconsin folk, cheese is everything.

Ghee is generally produced from cows but the casein and lactose are removed by heating butter and straining. It is just dairy fat. I cannot tolerate casein or lactose but can eat ghee.

Non-cow milks have different proteins (casein) such as goat, sheep, soy, nuts, etc. Pasteurization also impacts the proteins and sugars, casein/lactose. I think raw milk is illegal to sell but I have been able to buy raw cheese. I can tolerate some raw sheep cheese.

I found this through food sensitivity tests and elimination diets. I've searched out raw cheese to sample because I love cheese.

I had a small portion of milk and cream tonight along with other non-keto compliant foods in a special dinner tonight and am already inflamed.

I think trial and error through an elimination diet is the way to break dairy down.

When I ate cheese regularly, I limited it to 1 oz 3xs per week.