Aging With an Attitude!

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Wow, they're both amazing. I wouldn't mind doing the work but I could never stand up on stage dressed like that.....LOL

There are also a lot of really admirable seniors in the Senior Olympics. They all give me hope......and attitude! B)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,971 Member
    Options
    I got quite a kick out of the BBC interview, especially when she talked about being "too prissy" to exercise when she was young... and how skimpy her posing outfit was... lol
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I was the oldest one in the weights class today but used the heaviest weight! No, it's not a competition, but ..... just sayin'!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    I was the oldest one in the weights class today but used the heaviest weight! No, it's not a competition, but ..... just sayin'!

Good for you. I tell the young firefighters who can't believe what I deadlift that I'm not all that strong, it's just that I'm old and have developed a lot of momentum.
  • luluinca
    Options

I love that!!! My trainer tells me all the time that I'm stronger than most of his younger female clients!!!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I work full time but have been studying Mandarin on my own for the past 4 years for fun and hopefully to tie in to work. I signed up on the Internet for an intensive Chinese course and lived with a Chinese family in Beijing for a month in March and studied at a private school. Sort of like s high school AFS program. Or college abroad thing.

When I got out of the cab from the airport my Chinese "aunt" who was 54 (I'm 60) stared at me and immediately asked me how old I was. Later her in laws who lived with them asked me if I still worked. (Many Chinese women retire at 54). I said I did. The family was very surprised that this "lau ren", elderly person, came to China to live with a family who didn't speak a word of English, just to learn Chinese.

Carpe Diem. You only have one life. My rule is to never lay on my death bed and think "I should have..." (Shouldn't have is OK
  • luluinca
    edited August 2015
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I work full time but have been studying Mandarin on my own for the past 4 years for fun and hopefully to tie in to work. I signed up on the Internet for an intensive Chinese course and lived with a Chinese family in Beijing for a month in March and studied at a private school. Sort of like s high school AFS program. Or college abroad thing.

When I got out of the cab from the airport my Chinese "aunt" who was 54 (I'm 60) stared at me and immediately asked me how old I was. Later her in laws who lived with them asked me if I still worked. (Many Chinese women retire at 54). I said I did. The family was very surprised that this "lau ren", elderly person, came to China to live with a family who didn't speak a word of English, just to learn Chinese.

Carpe Diem. You only have one life. My rule is to never lay on my death bed and think "I should have..." (Shouldn't have is OK

Wow.....you're so adventurous and I really admire that!!!!

I've been thinking about the "bodybuilders" we've mentioned here and that's not really what I want......what I really want is to be a weightlifter...........that way I don't have to wear the bikini but I can still be strong....
  • 1299batman
    1299batman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    PTSD Survivor and turning 55 next year. I say "Bring It!"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

I've been thinking about the "bodybuilders" we've mentioned here and that's not really what I want......what I really want is to be a weightlifter...........that way I don't have to wear the bikini but I can still be strong....

And the Powerlifters compete in age categories, so go, you! Why not?

I took up rowing at around 47, and have competed in in both water and indoor races - first consistent athletic activity, first team sport, and first athletic competitions of my entire life. (I'm 59 now.)

Since cancer, one of my mottos is "There may not be a next year." That idea had me rowing in Masters Nationals after a couple of years of rowing - probably way before it was a rational thing to do so! ;)
  • luluinca
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

And the Powerlifters compete in age categories, so go, you! Why not?

I took up rowing at around 47, and have competed in in both water and indoor races - first consistent athletic activity, first team sport, and first athletic competitions of my entire life. (I'm 59 now.)

Since cancer, one of my mottos is "There may not be a next year." That idea had me rowing in Masters Nationals after a couple of years of rowing - probably way before it was a rational thing to do so! ;)

I might talk to my trainer about it next week and see what he thinks.............my husband would totally flip out if I started competing in weight lifting.....LOL. It might be worth it just to see his face if for no other reason. >:)

I'm curious about what other 65 year old women can lift now. ;)
  • UncleMac
    Options

Lifting can be very rewarding. I would caution, however, it isn't as simple as grabbing heavy things and moving them around... and it is fairly easy to injure yourself if you don't know what you're doing. Having a personal trainer to set up your program and coach your lifts pays dividends.
  • luluinca
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

Lifting can be very rewarding. I would caution, however, it isn't as simple as grabbing heavy things and moving them around... and it is fairly easy to injure yourself if you don't know what you're doing. Having a personal trainer to set up your program and coach your lifts pays dividends.

I agree! I've had a trainer for two years now (one for back rehab and my current one for weight lifting) and have been lifting pretty heavy for the past year. I'm going to see what he thinks my chances are. I have no idea what other women my age can lift. I can do a 175 lb dead lift right now and my current goal is 200 by Christmas. But I don't know how that measures up to others.

My other lifts aren't quite as good I don't think and I don't even know which ones they do in competition....LOL

I have some research to do it looks like. ;)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I agree! I've had a trainer for two years now (one for back rehab and my current one for weight lifting) and have been lifting pretty heavy for the past year. I'm going to see what he thinks my chances are. I have no idea what other women my age can lift. I can do a 175 lb dead lift right now and my current goal is 200 by Christmas. But I don't know how that measures up to others.

My other lifts aren't quite as good I don't think and I don't even know which ones they do in competition....LOL

I have some research to do it looks like. ;)
    Those are good numbers. It's better you don't know what other women your age lift since most of them don't or can't lift. The best part about lifting is the competition is with yourself... and lifters support and encourage each other unlike some sports. If you want to have a real hoot, try the throwing events of track & field... shotput, discus, hammer and/or weight throw. Your lifting will pay dividends.

For me, strength wasn't an issue. I have enough power to destroy my joints, especially my shoulders from older injuries (dislocated shoulder, protruding disks in neck). So my trainer watches my lifting form closely to prevent injury and provides a variety of lifts in order to improve my muscle balance and range of motion.
  • luluinca
    Options
    I did a little research and it looks like I can beat the standard for a "novice" in my weight class. I couldn't even find records for women doing dead lift over age 59.....LOL.....and that record was 247 but it was really old.

I'll probably just keep competing with myself unless my trainer has a better idea. It's fun to think about it though... :p
  • marekdds
    Options
    You are amazing! I am a couple years younger than you and my best deadlift was 100lb. Just can't get motivated to do it more. I am definitely a cardio bunny and not a good one at that. I am just happy to not be fat.
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    You are amazing! I am a couple years younger than you and my best deadlift was 100lb. Just can't get motivated to do it more. I am definitely a cardio bunny and not a good one at that. I am just happy to not be fat.

Not amazing at all really...........just stubborn. I think we all have to find our own passion when it comes to fitness anyway. And I totally agree re happiness at not being fat..............I feel the same!!!

I texted my trainer and he said there are power lifting competitions for my age group and that it wasn't a dumb idea at all......LOL. We're going to talk about it next week.

• marekdds
    Options
    Well, I think it is amazing, so we will just have to agree to disagree, lol. Go for it, girl!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    I am definitely a cardio bunny and not a good one at that. I am just happy to not be fat.

I've jogged all my life. But. Have been thinking about lifting to get more muscle. Would use a trainer. Might start next year. I've never done anything beyond hand weights.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    ms7v31bmcu8r.jpg

I pick things up.
    I put them down.