Options
    Like Arnold said in the latest Terminator. " I'm just old , NOT Obsolete ."
    OK Sorry , end of rant. (((;

Rant on!!!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Aging has been good. I'm in the best shape in decades. I'm 54 and find it amazing to see how far diet and exercise can go.

Right now there are 48,000 participants in the Map My Ride Challenge. It ends in a few days. As an over 50 guy I'm in the top 6%. There are no age brackets, that's against everyone.

It is nice to know that we still can compete. I'm heading out now to ride more. Maybe I can break into the top 5%....

But I have to have an attitude of a competitor to get there. Attitude is so much of what we do.

Great thread and reminder of a great te4w4buo6baf.jpg
    command

Focus Grasshopper!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped but it doesn't stop me from wearing wild spandex in the gym, even though I'm a lot older than almost everyone. I can always tell which one I am in the mirror without my glasses, too !!!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Society has these "parts" scripted and waiting for us to act out . "You've worked all your life ,you deserve to take it easy, just sit down Sweetie ,turn on the TV , over eat , become old and drop out." They need these parts filled and played out , it makes them feel safe , secure .
    No thank you , I'll pass .
    I hear the imaginary fears and terrors from others all the time. "At your age" what if a bear eats you in the woods while backpacking , or you fall off a cliff , or get lost and starve. Kayaking ??!! What if you drown ? Have a heart attack ? All these imaginary things to be afraid of. None of them very likely to really happen.
    We fear the unknown, the unusual , the imagined .
    Why is no one afraid that if I sit down and over eat I will have a heart attack or stroke and die. Or worse live in poor health. Now those threats are likely . But no one seems to fear the real threat to me. Or them.

I don't have to tell you guys. If you're here on this forum you're already steering your own course. Just don't let anyone talk you down.

Like Arnold said in the latest Terminator. " I'm just old , NOT Obsolete ."

OK Sorry , end of rant. (((;

Great perspective...............sometimes even my own children, who I know are proud of me, tell me to be careful......."Don't hurt yourself"...........it's a little annoying sometimes. ;)

My trainer is my biggest supporter and seems to know what I'm capable of and pushes me to reach my full potential. He always reminds me that age is just a number but of course he's only 30. I don't know if it's true or if he's just humoring me but he tells me he uses me as an example to most of the much younger women he trains. "If Lulu can do it...........then you can do it".....LOL
  • luluinca
    Options
    Aging has been good. I'm in the best shape in decades. I'm 54 and find it amazing to see how far diet and exercise can go.

Right now there are 48,000 participants in the Map My Ride Challenge. It ends in a few days. As an over 50 guy I'm in the top 6%. There are no age brackets, that's against everyone.

It is nice to know that we still can compete. I'm heading out now to ride more. Maybe I can break into the top 5%....

But I have to have an attitude of a competitor to get there. Attitude is so much of what we do.

Great thread and reminder of a great te4w4buo6baf.jpg
    command

Focus Grasshopper!

Wow..........top 6%.....Congratulations! Speaking of attitude, you've got it nailed!

• sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love the atttudes in ths group. I need to hang out here more often. :) I lost 90 pounds on MFP without ever once clicking on the Discussions until I hit a plateau and needed help. While I got the help I needed, and most of the people on the main forums are very nice and helpful, there are a fair share of snarky answers out there to legitimate questions making the person asking feeling as if they have to explain themselves or look stupid. This group seems to have an entrely dfferent attitude and I thank you.

I must say that I am 62 years old and up until a year ago I was one with all of the excuses and reasons why I could not lose weight. Now I have had an atttude shift and have to stop myself from judgng those who are still using those self-destructive thought processes and love them anyway. You are all such an inspiration wth your wonderful outlooks and stories! Keep it up. It is nce to have someplace to come to be uplifted with like minded folks.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I love the atttudes in ths group. I need to hang out here more often. :) I lost 90 pounds on MFP without ever once clicking on the Discussions until I hit a plateau and needed help. While I got the help I needed, and most of the people on the main forums are very nice and helpful, there are a fair share of snarky answers out there to legitimate questions making the person asking feeling as if they have to explain themselves or look stupid. This group seems to have an entrely dfferent attitude and I thank you.

I must say that I am 62 years old and up until a year ago I was one with all of the excuses and reasons why I could not lose weight. Now I have had an atttude shift and have to stop myself from judgng those who are still using those self-destructive thought processes and love them anyway. You are all such an inspiration wth your wonderful outlooks and stories! Keep it up. It is nce to have someplace to come to be uplifted with like minded folks.

thank you for your positive comments on our group. We all get on like a house on fire.. Some great people to share our journey with. I look forward to getting to know you a little better xx
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I am ignoring those who say that you can't lose weight after 50, or when going through the various stages of menopause, that you can't lose your belly, etc. Maybe THEY can't but I CAN and will. Even if it kills me which it feels like it does some days.
  • luluinca
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I am ignoring those who say that you can't lose weight after 50, or when going through the various stages of menopause, that you can't lose your belly, etc. Maybe THEY can't but I CAN and will. Even if it kills me which it feels like it does some days.

Nikki, I can testify that you definitely CAN do all those things. I had a few naysayers in my group of friends in the early days here and thank God I ignored them.................. ;)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Lulu, it seems like the older one gets the more one hears "You can't do that!" Even after you do it they keep waiting for you to slide back. Not me and not you, sister. I am not going through this again. This is it, by hook or by crook.
  • sunnyazgirl
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »

thank you for your positive comments on our group. We all get on like a house on fire.. Some great people to share our journey with. I look forward to getting to know you a little better xx

Thank you! I was a bit discouraged by the main boards and was going to stay away. but ths group is so positive that I will keep coming back! :)
  • sunnyazgirl
    Options
    Exactly. I started tracking my calories on MFP a year ago when I was 61. Now I am 62 and am closing in on 100 pounds lost! If I can do it, so can you. The difference for me this time is that I don't feel as if I am on a diet because I have no "forbidden foods". I am counting the calories. If I want the donut I can have it, log it and go on. However, now I can see what that donut will do to my claories for the rest of the day and most of the tme I will pass it by. It's not worth it. But it is my decision, not the diet's decision. ;)
  • luluinca
    Options
    Lulu, it seems like the older one gets the more one hears "You can't do that!" Even after you do it they keep waiting for you to slide back. Not me and not you, sister. I am not going through this again. This is it, by hook or by crook.

Absolutely correct Nikki. This is it for me too!
  • luluinca
    Options
    Exactly. I started tracking my calories on MFP a year ago when I was 61. Now I am 62 and am closing in on 100 pounds lost! If I can do it, so can you. The difference for me this time is that I don't feel as if I am on a diet because I have no "forbidden foods". I am counting the calories. If I want the donut I can have it, log it and go on. However, now I can see what that donut will do to my claories for the rest of the day and most of the tme I will pass it by. It's not worth it. But it is my decision, not the diet's decision. ;)

Congrats on all your hard work!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's the same thing when we were young - whatever you do, is in your favor. Even moving slowly. You're still beating everyone on the couch. There's no way you can say, you can't lose weight after 50. We can still build muscle, right? Increase flexibility? Please. The people who say that we can't lose weight, have given up. Plain and simple.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    There is an old saying, "If you say you can or say you can't, it is true." I am 63. lost 85 pounds and kept it off three years, so some of us are losing in our sixties. I have many who are waiting for me to get fat again, or think I starve myself. People looking for a magic wand, just have given up or aren't ready yet.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

Nikki, I can testify that you definitely CAN do all those things. I had a few naysayers in my group of friends in the early days here and thank God I ignored them.................. ;)

+1!! to Both of You.
    "Those who say " have just bought into the myth that life is really over at 40 or so.
    NO one can tell me that you can't improve your health and lifestyle at any age.
    In 2011 at age 69 I was pushing 215 lbs. on a 5'10" frame. Dreaded just getting up and going out to feed the dogs. Just worn out all the time.
    NOW I can put on a 30+Lb. backpack and still weigh less than that and can walk up the side of a mountain.
    I'm certainly nothing special , Anyone can do this and more.
    This is really a good thread. Because the way you spend your life (that is within your control) is all about your "Attitude" toward life.

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ Well said!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    ^^^^ Well said!

Well SAID INDEED!!!!