Aging With an Attitude!

Options

Replies

• traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This thread is exactly what I needed this morning. So glad to find folks who are doing great things take life better. I am committed to not letting my chronic pain issues define me or my abilities. I will take off this weight and I will do ot for as long as it takes. Thanks for the pep talk friends.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I decided that as a guy in his 50's, I did not want to be fit "for my age".
    Aging with attitude means peak fitness and optimal health - period!
    n36stu04z3tg.jpg
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I decided that as a guy in his 50's, I did not want to be fit "for my age".
    Aging with attitude means peak fitness and optimal health - period!
    n36stu04z3tg.jpg

I completely agree! When someone younger than me tells me I look good for my age I tell them they do to.... ;)

My trainer tells me he uses me as an example to much younger women he's training in regards to what is achievable at any age......
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    For me, it's psychologically important to take control of what I can, to achieve the goals I set for myself. Excuses don't help me. Admitting I've (perhaps) not been accountable, then changing that, is more productive, in my opinion.

There's a song that includes "To say that I've stopped changing, is to to say that I've stopped growing. To say that I've stopped growing, is to admit that I am dead." As a long-term (yay) cancer survivor, I have to say: Alive is a better start on the rest of the day, literally and metaphorically.

I concur with avoiding judgement on others' paths. Nonetheless, it raised my eyebrows when, one day, I was sitting around with some art/craft friends, and one said "of course one can't lose weight at our age", and the rest nodded solemnly. Um, huh? (I hang out with rowers, and with artsy folk. Sometimes the differences are striking.)

And it amuses the heck out of me when a 30-something shows up in spin class, and says "I need to do this now, before I get too old for it" or folks of say, 45, say "I'd love to learn to row, but I'm too old". (This year, the oldest student in my club's learn-to-row class was 81. He doesn't have the speed of the 20-somethings, but he did fine.)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,965 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just got back from vacation. I rode my Harley over 2000 miles to visit my parents. My daughter (age 21) joined me. We went out for coffee together.... Dad (age 78) rode his Suzuki 450, I rode my Road King and my daughter borrowed the Yamaha 250 my mother (age 75) rides as Mom had a previous engagement.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I am fond of saying age is not an excuse! I have a friend on here that is 75 and I honestly don't think I could keep up with her. It doesn't mean I will stop trying. We may be slower, but we ain't dead yet.
  • fitotrim
    fitotrim Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like all the positive here! I do water aerobics with ladies in their 80s. I kayak and the leader of our group is 84
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter.
  • luluinca
    Options
    fitotrim wrote: »
    I like all the positive here! I do water aerobics with ladies in their 80s. I kayak and the leader of our group is 84

I love stories like that!!!
  • luluinca
    Options
    @ Ann.....(This year, the oldest student in my club's learn-to-row class was 81. He doesn't have the speed of the 20-somethings, but he did fine.)

Another great example!

Have any of you seen this 77 year old female body builder............she's pretty amazing as well! I don't think she really exercised until her 50's...............hmmmmmm

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18346128
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    I continue to live every day as a gift. A friend of mine, a guy I fought fires with for years died of a heart attack this week at 51. He was in decent shape, a former paramedic and current first aid and CPR instructor. He recognized the signs, got to the hospital but died there of a massive MI. Another full uniform funeral service Monday. It makes me realize how lucky I was to survive my MI 18 months ago. You can't take your life for granted. I work every day to reset the time-bomb in my chest.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    I continue to live every day as a gift. A friend of mine, a guy I fought fires with for years died of a heart attack this week at 51. He was in decent shape, a former paramedic and current first aid and CPR instructor. He recognized the signs, got to the hospital but died there of a massive MI. Another full uniform funeral service Monday. It makes me realize how lucky I was to survive my MI 18 months ago. You can't take your life for granted. I work every day to reset the time-bomb in my chest.

So sad for his family.............we're glad you made it too!! I guess none of us really know what the future holds so all we can do is make the best choices we can right now, while we still have the time!
  • marekdds
    Options
    Absolutely, you are a great inspiration! So sorry about your friend.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    @ Ann.....(This year, the oldest student in my club's learn-to-row class was 81. He doesn't have the speed of the 20-somethings, but he did fine.)

Another great example!

Have any of you seen this 77 year old female body builder............she's pretty amazing as well! I don't think she really exercised until her 50's...............hmmmmmm

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18346128

DAM!!!!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Wow.

There are no words.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That's incredible!! She's amazing!!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    According to Wikipedia, she's been passed as the oldest active bodybuilder by another woman...

http://www.ibtimes.com/oldest-female-bodybuilder-77-year-old-edith-connor-breaks-guinness-world-record-700529

129392-7497607.jpg
  • marekdds
    Options
    Apparently these people have more time than I do. It is wonderful that they don't spend their time in a rocking chair. Kudos to them.