China & Keto?

Options

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    What an amazing trip! Love the picture with your daughter! She is beautiful and you look awesome! Proud Papa, I'm sure! Have a great time in China. Hope all goes well. Btw: if you could have a talk with them about their currency valuation, would help me, tremendously, lol! Have a spectacular time! Look forward to pictures, when you can, Dan the Mandarin Man from Michigan!!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Update.

Broke my fast at breakfast buffet in the Sheraton. It was an amazing buffet. The place is very cool. I ate all kinds of stuff, stuff I've never seen before. My log is a mess and I'm not going to sweat it. I actually thought about not logging.

I ate breakfast, lunch & dinner. Too much to list, pretty much keto, but probably on high side of carb count. I tasted some weird stuff and not going to log it. And some stuff tasted sweet, so probably carby.

vkevr83pc8zg.png

Then at lunch, Disney had a table reserved for us and it had a lazy Susan full stuff, again, I don't know what I was eating. (I hardly ever eat lunch, if I eat breakfast. But you can't say no to the customer, it would be insulting. I sampled everything, that wasn't carby, didn't log any of it. He's a pic:

pz44pfxllnue.png

I actually used chopsticks! My daughter taught me how to. There were these wonderful coated-with-some-kinda-spicy-sauce-something peanuts and I dumped a bunch on my plate and ate them one by one. Here's proof I picked them up with my chopstick:

jvj59a38ac3i.png

It was kinda fun and challenging to pick stuff up with the chopsticks. They didn't cut stuff very well though. There was some stuff, that was rubbery. And some prawns/crawdads (IDK), black looking duck-eggs, tofu, small clams, tiny octopus arms. Some veggie that looked like brocolli stems, it didn't have much flavor. Didn't care for the octopus or black duck eggs very much. There were these little fruits that looked exactly like olives, but the texture and taste was that of some kind of fruit. Jew Jew is how they pronounced it I think (sp?), IDK. Some of the stuff, I have eaten at Chinese restaurants here. All in all a pretty good lunch.

Now, back at office. I had to go pee. Didn't think much about it. I went into a stall and would of burst out laughing, but there was another Chinese guy in the bathroom and I didn't want to freak him out, check this out:

96taj3runu4p.jpg

Calling all squatty potty fans ~ here's the REAL thing!!!! LOL! That thing was about 1 1/2 inches tall from the floor. After you do your business, you kick the floor pedal to flush it.

We all had a great meeting and ended a little early. So we went back to Sheraton. After I did a write-up of the meeting, my co-worker texted and said he was in the restaurant, I went down there and couldn't find him.

When I walked around they had a new dinner buffet. I was going to SKIP dinner, then I thought, what the heck, I thought I needed to destroy any weight loss I had from fasting, I went for it. All this food is free to me and I'm in China, I'm living life, not going to get another chance like this. I saw some more stuff (on the many fancy buffet tables) that I'd never seen before and they pulled me in.

I ate some normal Chinese food. Then I went looking for stuff I never have seen before. Check this out:

prxyq90jetw4.png

The fake asparagus were bland and stringy, taste wasn't even close to the real thing. The celery had some really hot sauce on it, wasn't very good. Ditto for the green stuff that looked like Kiwi. I really had to get a nerve up to eat the "black fungus". It was very thin and very spicy, the spices masked whatever taste they would of had.

I went to the fruit bar and found some unusual stuff, all in small quantities, so I went for it:

57usdiylx38g.png

The watermelon was normal. The little quarter sized thing had a thin husk, I peeled it and the flesh was kinda white transparent and had a big brown seed in the middle. Tasted good. The weird half pink fruit tasted really weird and had crunchy little green seeds in it. The flesh was kinda slimy. Didn't care for it. The white pieces with the black dots, were great. They tasted like Kiwi, maybe a little less sweet, "kiwi light". I think somebody said it was "Dragon somethin-or-another".

Just to show you how fancy this place was, I took several pics.

(see next post)

Dan the Mandarin Man in China Land

• DittoDan
    Options
    Here are more pics.

k50pzz12g7vb.png
    6jeny5844p37.png
    zly0avoqylc4.png
    98d7yyi7bb9d.png
    v8t99crs54hj.png
    my5ojb87mrvi.jpg
  • DittoDan
    edited August 2015
    Options
    While I was eating dinner, it started raining cats and dogs. I then lost hope I could go out that evening. But we had an umbrella in the closet of all of our rooms. We went out walking to a nearby mall. It flooded, so we had to walk around, so I got my E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program in. This pic is at my hotel:

2s0fhyugswxr.jpg

Thats all I got for now. Yes, I will get out and start taking pictures of the shopping strips tomorrow Lord willing. I probably won't document my food much anymore, unless its bizarre. I want you to see how they live, and other stuff not seen here in the states.

Dan the Mandarin Man from China Land
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Oh wow Dan, that's all amazing !!!!!! I'm so happy for you that you are there and trying different things ! That looked like dragon fruit and passion fruit on your plate. Happy about the chopsticks ! Keep trying weird and wonderful foods, and have a great adventure. Don;t worry about logging and calories ! Have fun !!!

Thank you so much for sharing all these tidbits and photos, I am sure enjoying them ! I'm on vacation with you, that's what it feels like !
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I love seeing the pictures. Thanks, Dan!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Love the photo journal!

I think the quarter-sized thing might be a loquat fruit.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about logging while you are there. Enjoy the trip and the new food. You know what to do to keep up your proteins and fats, so branching out a little bit won't make a gigantic impact on your weight. Thinking you have to log every day and every bite is going to get irritating over the weeks, especially as you don't know what the heck you are trying. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The pics are great! Glad you are enjoying it!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I have a sudden craving for Chinese food...
  • andib32
    andib32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fantastic pics Dan - thanks so much for sharing this trip with us! Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous and your progress is so apparent in that picture with her! :)
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wow Dan, I see what my son meant when he said you won't recognize a lot of what you eat. Post when you can but enjoy this adventure and we will enjoy it with you.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Such an amazing time for you. Enjoy your time. You are more daring than me for trying some of that food. Lol. Have fun and be safe.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you for sharing these with us. For people like me, who will likely never make it to China, this is a treat! So glad things are going well. Don't hesitate to post more pictures of anything. I'm loving this China trip and didn't even have to pack, lol!
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing all of this. The pictures definitely have added to the story. Love it!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    How fun! Thanks for sharing.
  • DittoDan
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Active August Fitness Update.

Disney guy, my co-worker and me ~ decided to do a day trip. We went to the West Lake near Hangzhou (where I am staying). After a hectic taxi cab drive in very congested roads, we arrived. It was pouring rain. We didn't have enough sense to bring our umbrellas. We ran under a roof of a ferry boat and stood for about 20 minutes until the rain stopped.

So, it was about 88 degrees with 100% humidity all day. Get a load of this, the guy from Disney had a FitBit on his wrist. I was with him the whole day. We walked and walked and walked and walked.

His FitBit recorded approx 13,000 steps!

Yup, I walked 13,000 steps today.

And thats not all, I went up and down so many stairs, I thought I would never make it. What I mean by that is, when my co-worker pointed to me, where we would be walking today, my mind said to me, "There is NO WAY IN HELL you can do that". But I told my body, "you suck, I'll show you you're wrong, stop holding me back!"

But all my exercising on my E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program got me through this day! YAY! My hip and knees had maybe a "1" on the 0-10 pain scale. Now that's a big NSV for me.

Its almost surreal, I walked more today than I can remember, like 20, maybe 30 years or more, because I always avoided walking when I was fat. When I started this diet, I posted on Keto and lamented that I would park as close to my work to avoid the extra 30-50 steps I would have to take, because it was so difficult for me when I was over 300 pounds.

Not in a MILLION YEARS, if you would of told me, that on August of 2015 ~ (11 months ago) ~ I would walk 13,000 steps (in China no less) I'd had you committed to the psychiatric ward and I would of told you that you were crazy!!!

Just writing this makes me feel good, because I hope to reach others like me. There is hope for Fat people.

Also, I did much better eating, about 12,500 of those steps were on an empty stomach, yes, you heard right, I was fasting from about 8:00 from last night. We finally went to a fast food restaurant about 3:00 pm. and I had 4 tiny drumsticks and some Duck Gizzards. The chicken wasn't even breaded (I wouldn't of cared if it was or wasn't at that point) and the gizzards weren't breaded either. The chicken was good and the gizzards were hot/spicy, so much so, that it masked the flavor of the gizzard. :(

I have to go to dinner now with the same guys, so I'll post pics later. They are stunningly beautiful. I actually am considering posting to FaceBook, but did you know:

Facebook is blocked in China
    Google is blocked in China
    DropBox doesn't work in China
    Android Phones do not work in China (because they are tied to Google)

Its time consuming to post pics to MFP, because I have to open each one in Paintbrush and resize them, if I didn't, one pic would exceed MFP's 2meg file size limit. I have another idea, I'm going to try to bulk downsize them with some other software. Or do you have any ideas?

Here's a teaser:

d6h4z8xthwad.png

Gotta run, (did you know I can't physically run anymore, but I'm working on it) :)

Dan the Mandarin Man from China Land

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Wonderful to hear how you are getting on!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    What a great experience you are having. Btw: I had heard that China limits their internet for its citizens! Go figure, huh! Thanks for the updates, and the struggle to make them happen! You rock Dan!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Not in a MILLION YEARS, if you would of told me, that on August of 2015 ~ (11 months ago) ~ I would walk 13,000 steps (in China no less) I'd had you committed to the psychiatric ward and I would of told you that you were crazy!!!

Just writing this makes me feel good, because I hope to reach others like me. There is hope for Fat people.

Dan - thank you. So much.

Your post brought tears to my eyes this morning exactly for the reason you just stated - hope.

After your crazy steppin' in China it will be simple to add some walking to your routine!

Thanks for sharing the journey.